2021 RDX A-SPEC Paint Defect - thoughts and options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 12:09 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 RDX A-SPEC Paint Defect - thoughts and options?

I recently bought this in March 2021 and I was going to get my car ceramic coated. While it was getting prepped for the coating, I got a call from the detailer and was told there was an issue with the paint on the hood of the car. He showed me using a colour matching light this brownish grey area on the hood. This is only visible under sunlight and that colour matching light.

Essentially, what the detailer told me was that there was no base coat paint under the clear coat paint along the edge of the hood.

I have an appointment with the dealership this week and wanted to get some opinions on this I've attached photos. It's only visible at certain angles as well.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
The only thing they can offer is send it to body shop to have hood repainted.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:55 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
That does look strange. Hard to get a real sense of from photos. I'd have to see it to tell if I could just live with it, so that's up to you. Personally, I'm reluctant to go over a factory paint job. Again, it's up to you. But it does look strange.

When we got our RDX home and my wife gave it a good going over the next day,, she found a blemish on a door. I looked at it and said "Let’s give it a couple months. It'll have plenty of company."
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (05-02-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
Hard to see in the photos, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Honda/Acura paint is trash. I looked at a half-dozen white A-specs before finding one that didn’t have an off-white tint to the bumpers, since they refuse to properly prime the plastic parts. Mine aren’t perfect, but there are some really bad ones out there.

Your issue seems like a real defect. I’d definitely ask the dealer to remedy it. Good news is that you can take off and repaint a full hood pretty easy.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:08 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
That does look strange. Hard to get a real sense of from photos. I'd have to see it to tell if I could just live with it, so that's up to you. Personally, I'm reluctant to go over a factory paint job. Again, it's up to you. But it does look strange.

When we got our RDX home and my wife gave it a good going over the next day,, she found a blemish on a door. I looked at it and said "Let’s give it a couple months. It'll have plenty of company."
It's a bit hard to tell in the photos, but in sunlight and when the detailer was showing me it was obvious, but only if you were actually looking for it. I'm also reluctant to go over the factory paint job, I'm going to try to see if they'll replace the hood with a new one.. but doesn't seem likely..

Originally Posted by jmhumr
Hard to see in the photos, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Honda/Acura paint is trash. I looked at a half-dozen white A-specs before finding one that didn’t have an off-white tint to the bumpers, since they refuse to properly prime the plastic parts. Mine aren’t perfect, but there are some really bad ones out there.

Your issue seems like a real defect. I’d definitely ask the dealer to remedy it. Good news is that you can take off and repaint a full hood pretty easy.
Yeah, it appears to be a defect, it's literally brown/grey in person under the clearcoat when you use a colour matching light. My only issue with a repaint is that it won't be the exact match as the OEM factory paint, and the panels may not match the repainted hood either.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Viincele

Yeah, it appears to be a defect, it's literally brown/grey in person under the clearcoat when you use a colour matching light. My only issue with a repaint is that it won't be the exact match as the OEM factory paint, and the panels may not match the repainted hood either.
even if you get new hood, they will need to paint it. They might also need to blend it to match side panels, maybe not, I would ask about it.

If you can live with it, I would recommend doing nothing.
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
Ih8honda (05-05-2021), Madd Dog (05-07-2021)