pin-head size rock chips!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pin-head size rock chips!

Hello,

I have an 07 TSX - Carbon Gray Pearl. Anyway, tonight I noticed what appears to be a lot of pin-head sized rock chips all over the back part of my hood. I have a clear bra on half of my hood, so that part looks ok, but I'm not sure where all of the ones on the back of it came from. I didn't notice them today in the direct sunlight, but I can definitely see them when I shine my Brinkman Dual Xenon light on the hood. Is there anyway to fix these? How come I don't see them in the sunlight? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks much!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:34 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Hello,

I have an 07 TSX - Carbon Gray Pearl. Anyway, tonight I noticed what appears to be a lot of pin-head sized rock chips all over the back part of my hood. I have a clear bra on half of my hood, so that part looks ok, but I'm not sure where all of the ones on the back of it came from. I didn't notice them today in the direct sunlight, but I can definitely see them when I shine my Brinkman Dual Xenon light on the hood. Is there anyway to fix these? How come I don't see them in the sunlight? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks much!
I am in the same situation you are in. The clear bra is doing its job but the rocks still get the back of the hood. Touch up paint, a little wetsand, polish, and wax is the ticket.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetJazz
I am in the same situation you are in. The clear bra is doing its job but the rocks still get the back of the hood. Touch up paint, a little wetsand, polish, and wax is the ticket.
Just out of curiosity, how bad are your rock chips on the back of the hood? Also, why do they stand out when I shine the Brinkman light on them, but they're not really noticeable under the direct sunlight?

Also, what is the best method for touching something like that up?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:02 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
I've done plenty of the touch up paint and wet sand. I'll tell you this though, the touch up paint for the CGP will look exactly the same as our paint, but after the wet sand and polish, I always get a lighter color from the touch up paint; even after using a random orbiter for the polish. I'd say I've done about 5 touch up paints on my car and tried a little tweaking every time and the touch up paint always come out noticeably lighter.

But i'll tell you this. Covering up a pea sized rock chip with a touch up paint is much, much better than not covering it up at all.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
You would think pin head sized would be very visable .. you sure your not meaning pin point sized?

Something pin point sized can be the results of acid rain type damage. I see it a lot around here. Its usually more pronounced and apperas first on the hood because of the heat from the engine.

It doesn't effect the clear bra as soon as it does paint but it does effect it.

If this is in fact what it is I haven't found anything that will help outside of colored wax followed by a sealant.