2019 RDX rear window shattering

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 08:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
YMMV, the TSB has no time limit on that document so it should be out of the typical time warranty. So contact your Acura rep, Toyota and Honda are the pillar of auto manufacturers covering various repairs out of warranty.
I can speak for Honda/Acura since I have a lot of experience with them with numerous vehicles over the years and they are far from the pillar for repairs outside of warranty and even within warranty they can be a pain. When they do step up and cover it's usually because of the scope and bad press e.g. the recent V6 recall; that issue has been going on for years and they blew a lot of owners off about it.

Unfortunately they have fallen from grace a bit and do need to step it up. And in fairness many modern cars seem to have taken a nosedive and QC is not what it once was and/or too many electronics and things that can go wrong.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
IMO - this is not wide spread, otherwise a recall for the glass would have been issued.
I don't think this is necessarily the case. Just because there's no recall doesn't mean it's not widespread. Plenty of things are widespread without a recall; recalls primarily concern safety issues, and arguably the rear window isn't a safety issue as much as things like faulty fuel pumps, engine block cracks, etc.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Unfortunately they have fallen from grace a bit and do need to step it up. And in fairness many modern cars seem to have taken a nosedive and QC is not what it once was and/or too many electronics and things that can go wrong.
This is exactly why these days I care more about how a company responds when something goes wrong. Even Toyotas and Lexuses do have issues, and in my experience it's been a lot easier working with their dealerships to get problems acknowledged and resolved. I'd much rather own a less reliable car where I know problems will get addressed fairly and quickly than a more reliable car that I have to fight tooth and nail to get a resolution when things do go wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
amcobra (01-27-2024), ESHBG (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Based on reports, you might be b/w 1-2 years away from finding out for yourself for your MY21 RDX. I believe the issue is the way the rear frame was designed causes some warping over time. The glass is stressed throughtout the warranty period and then gives up. YMMV of course of when it gives since everyone uses their RDX differently and drive in different climates.

There's nothing you can do about it now but keep an eye on it and remember the reports of the owners who experienced this before you!
The vast majority (not 100%) of the rear glass issues are with MY 2019 and 2020, and even then it may be a small percentage of the total, so I’m betting most with 2021+ are going to be ok.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:13 PM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
This sucks to have happen but none of us really know the true cause. You can either take Acura/Honda at their word (defroster defect) or start speculating. IE hatch misalignment/frame design etc, etc.

Does anyone have any idea how many could have broken? Seems the HRV got some press but outside of FB and this site, I haven't seen anything on the RDX. The posts sure get a lot of attention and comments though. My unscientific guess is that you are more likely to not have your glass shatter, otherwise we'd see a lot more posts.

At the end of the day, nothing I can do about it.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
This sucks to have happen but none of us really know the true cause. You can either take Acura/Honda at their word (defroster defect) or start speculating. IE hatch misalignment/frame design etc, etc.

Does anyone have any idea how many could have broken? Seems the HRV got some press but outside of FB and this site, I haven't seen anything on the RDX. The posts sure get a lot of attention and comments though. My unscientific guess is that you are more likely to not have your glass shatter, otherwise we'd see a lot more posts.

At the end of the day, nothing I can do about it.
No official data available though the two anecdotal data points are: 1) How does it compare to the other issues that get reported about the RDX? and 2) What are service advisors saying to customers?

For the first it seems similar or worse than the brake squealing issue which was the prior front runner for problems with the RDX and for the latter it seems like service advisors are frequently submitting claims for it (mine was submitting a claim for it while he was working on mine for example and acknowledged that it's a well known problem). Neither are scientific numbers are it seems like the shattered glass is the most common problem on RDXs and the brake issue was definitely of the "lots of them" variety, not "one-offs" or "rare".
Old 01-27-2024, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
The fact that they have TSB for it means its not an uncommon problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
ELIN (01-28-2024), RDX10 (01-30-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 08:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
I can speak for Honda/Acura since I have a lot of experience with them with numerous vehicles over the years and they are far from the pillar for repairs outside of warranty and even within warranty they can be a pain. When they do step up and cover it's usually because of the scope and bad press e.g. the recent V6 recall; that issue has been going on for years and they blew a lot of owners off about it.

I can as well speak for 5 decades of Honda/Acura ownership (1980's to current), hence the reason I put YMMV so while you may have a viewpoint others (including myself) have different viewpoints so no individual is all encompassing . Also the reason I trust CR over people posting on a car forum, is it's a free for all including truth.

Like this Integra thread for a new AZ member who claims to have had a horrible experience with his new Integra even though he's only posted twice in AZ and never a posting with pics of his new Integra. However all sorts of AZ members got into the discussion including yourself. Do you really think the OP Integra purchase and experience was even real? I don't think it is due to just two posts, probably just a troll looking for replies.

https://acurazine.com/forums/integra...again-1005328/

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-09-2024 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Received 1,245 Likes on 903 Posts
I can as well speak for 5 decades of Honda/Acura ownership (1980's to current), hence the reason I put YMMV so while you may have a viewpoint others (including myself) have different viewpoints so no individual is all encompassing . Also the reason I trust CR over people posting on a car forum, is it's a free for all including truth.

Like this Integra thread for a new AZ member who claims to have had a horrible experience with his new Integra even though he's only posted twice in AZ and never a posting with pics of his new Integra. However all sorts of AZ members got into the discussion including yourself. Do you really think the OP Integra purchase and experience was even real? I don't think it is due to just two posts, probably just a troll looking for replies.

The Integra thread on AZ is a bad example because the whole forum itself could barely qualify as "active". Lord knows where all the Integra owners are (probably in other forum sites)!
Old 02-09-2024, 09:13 AM
AZ Community Team

The Integra thread on AZ is a bad example because the whole forum itself could barely qualify as "active". Lord knows where all the Integra owners are (probably in other forum sites)!
There are many Integra owners on that forum I trust since they post pics, they show off their new Integra's.
But that thread of a "supposed lemon" Integra and all these AZ jump in to discuss. Excellent example of Internet social discord of some misinformation that probably never existed in the first place.
Unfortunately there are many who onto web forums to cause discord and disinformation.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-09-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:23 AM
Drifting

There are many Integra owners on that forum I trust since they post pics, they show off their new Integra's.
But that thread of a "supposed lemon" Integra and all these AZ jump in to discuss. Excellent example of Internet social discord of some misinformation that probably never existed in the first place.
Unfortunately there are many who onto web forums to cause discord and disinformation.
This is an issue for every forum and AZ is no different.

There are plenty of owners/apologists defending the TLX/RDX/MDX threads but not so much for the Integra. I have found that odd and continue to do so.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:26 AM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
Tend to see a lot of repeat posters that always bring up the same issue. "I have an RDX with xyz issues" in threads about unrelated issues.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

There are about 6000 owners in the private Integra owners group on FB. There’s also been a bunch of posts about the steering issue from folks who joined early, not just to complain about the steering issue. There’s finally a recall, but that’s not much consolation for folks who can’t drive their cars until at least April when revised parts become available.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ah okay I see how this works: positive = must be true and can be taken at face value, no need to question and it's a full stop. Negative = must be a troll, a conspiracy, a hater...

This forum is nowhere near as active as it used to be but with any current Acura model QC is just not what it used to be and/or at the least the dealership experience has slipped. Now expand outside of this forum and you will see the same things mentioned along with A LOT more. And are the tons of recalls for Acura/Honda as of late conspiracies and trolling also?
Old 02-09-2024, 11:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Ah okay I see how this works: positive = must be true and can be taken at face value, no need to question and it's a full stop. Negative = must be a troll, a conspiracy, a hater...

This forum is nowhere near as active as it used to be but with any current Acura model QC is just not what it used to be and/or at the least the dealership experience has slipped. Now expand outside of this forum and you will see the same things mentioned along with A LOT more. And are the tons of recalls for Acura/Honda as of late conspiracies and trolling also?
Nope, that's your interpretation and opinion. I question a AZ member ranting and raving on the second of his only two posts and folks like you believing it all then going into about Honda/Acura quality.
Just because you liked it and believed it is not my fault, that's your gullibility and bias perhaps

YMMV (as I've repeatedly pointed out) but CR with their quantitative analysis on present Honda/Acura overall reliability presents a different view than what you suggest. Hence why I don't believe all the "Debbie Downers", on the other hand owners that state the good/bad/ugly experience of their Acura's I tend to believe far more. They don't seem to have a agenda like some in the latest model forums

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-09-2024 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nope, that's your interpretation and opinion. I question a AZ member ranting and raving on the second of his only two posts and folks like you believing it all then going into about Honda/Acura quality.
Just because you liked it and believed it is not my fault, that's your gullibility and bias perhaps
No bias, I have lived it and with my TSX posts you will see how many issues I had during the first few years of ownership, which was nothing like my '94 Accord and '08 TSX so disappointing. Then take a look at the fit and finish posts from the models over the years, limp mode, randomly exploding glass... To argue that Honda/Acura now is the same (or better) than as of old is laughable.

YMMV (as I've repeatedly pointed out) but CR with their quantitative analysis on present Honda/Acura overall reliability presents a different view than what you suggest. Hence why I don't believe all the "Debbie Downers", on the other hand owners that state the good/bad/ugly experience of their Acura's I tend to believe far more. They don't seem to have a agenda like some in the latest model forums
Again, suggesting that there is some sort of an agenda around here is bizarre. Myself as an example, I have never said Acura/Honda are the worst and what I have said is that they are heading in the wrong direction, not the same brand, have a lot more issues than they used to, other brands are quickly catching up (and I would argue surpassing), not the value that they once were... I am saying nothing unreasonable and nothing that can't be validated.

EDIT: I do understand why you and the Head of Marketing like to bicker, it's the only thing keeping these forums alive
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 03:10 PM
AZ Community Team

No bias, I have lived it and with my TSX posts you will see how many issues I had during the first few years of ownership, which was nothing like my '94 Accord and '08 TSX so disappointing. Then take a look at the fit and finish posts from the models over the years, limp mode, randomly exploding glass... To argue that Honda/Acura now is the same (or better) than as of old is laughable.

Again, suggesting that there is some sort of an agenda around here is bizarre. Myself as an example, I have never said Acura/Honda are the worst and what I have said is that they are heading in the wrong direction, not the same brand, have a lot more issues than they used to, other brands are quickly catching up (and I would argue surpassing), not the value that they once were... I am saying nothing unreasonable and nothing that can't be validated.

EDIT: I do understand why you and the Head of Marketing like to bicker, it's the only thing keeping these forums alive
It may seem bizarre to you it can be shown by just clicking on any AZ member's posting and see their posting history.
And you can only validate your experience, whereas media such as CR can quantitatively produce statistics which is far more accurate overall representation of a brand's reliability..

EDIT: I do not understand why you fairly consistently post negative articles in a Acura forum other than to troll or have nothing better to do with your time?

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-09-2024 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

It may seem bizarre to you it can be shown by just clicking on any AZ member's posting and see their posting history.
And you can only validate your experience, whereas media such as CR can quantitatively produce statistics which is far more accurate overall representation of a brand's reliability..

EDIT: I do not understand why you fairly consistently post negative articles in a Acura forum other than to troll or have nothing better to do with your time?
So when CR doesn't align with what the boosters say (including about the competition) it can't be trusted but when it is favorable it's a reliable source? Got it.

​​​​​​This is classic, now posting articles about actual things occuring and recalls to help owners, which is one of the main functions of this forum, is considered to be negative.
The following users liked this post:
hand-filer (02-10-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura appologizers
Old 02-09-2024, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Legend2TL, does this source count like CR does or nah?

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...sults-1005770/
Old 02-10-2024, 03:41 AM
AZ Community Team

So when CR doesn't align with what the boosters say (including about the competition) it can't be trusted but when it is favorable it's a reliable source? Got it.

​​​​​​This is classic, now posting articles about actual things occuring and recalls to help owners, which is one of the main functions of this forum, is considered to be negative.
Nope, that's your words not mine.

Far from perfect but I put more faith in CR than you who states

I can speak for Honda/Acura since I have a lot of experience....

Legend2TL, does this source count like CR does or nah?

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...sults-1005770/
No, CR > JD Power for overall long term reliability/quality.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-10-2024 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Correct, an owner of multiple vehicles from a brand can share their personal experiences AND they can also use current data to support their opinion. But oh that's right on AZ it only counts if they have nothing but great things to say, anything "negative" must be trolling and from a fake account.

No, CR > JD Power for overall long term reliability/quality.
I knew it! But if they had Acura high on the list they would be a great source

Last edited by ESHBG; 02-10-2024 at 09:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ESHBG:
ELIN (02-10-2024), hand-filer (02-10-2024), supafamous (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 03:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Oh yeah, sure Debbie Downer

Keep up the toxicity, it'a all you have live for

Correct, an owner of multiple vehicles from a brand can share their personal experiences AND they can also use current data to support their opinion. But oh that's right on AZ it only counts if they have nothing but great things to say, anything "negative" must be trolling and from a fake account.

I knew it! But if they had Acura high on the list they would be a great source
You know nothing

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-10-2024 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Common, just admit that Acura dropped the ball on handling rear window shatter defect. I dont want to hear “Acura is not the only brand, blah blah…”
The following 3 users liked this post by russianDude:
ELIN (02-10-2024), ESHBG (02-10-2024), supafamous (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah, sure Debbie Downer

Keep up the toxicity, it'a all you have live for

You know nothing
Incorrect, I live for you and the other brand ambassador on this site. And have you considered contacting the NHTSA and letting them know that all of these recalls are negative and making the brand look badly, and that it makes you cry to see me posting the info here? Have you started your scrub of the Internet to try to clear up any "negativity"? Acura is counting on you, don't let them down!
Old 02-10-2024, 04:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Incorrect, I live for you and the other brand ambassador on this site. And have you considered contacting the NHTSA and letting them know that all of these recalls are negative and making the brand look badly, and that it makes you cry to see me posting the info here? Have you started your scrub of the Internet to try to clear up any "negativity"? Acura is counting on you, don't let them down!
What ever you say, Mr. "I can speak for Honda/Acura since I have a lot of experience...."

Keep up your toxicity

Old 02-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

What ever you say, Mr. "I can speak for Honda/Acura since I have a lot of experience...."

Keep up your toxicity
Okay time to get back to the exploding glass, stop sales, recall after recall...any predictions on the next Acura misstep? Looks like it's going to be the overpriced and ill timed ZDX. Hopefully you'll be okay when that flops and I'll make sure that you get the support that you need during this trying time.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have a 2021 RDX I purchased from an Acura Dealer at the beginning of December just a couple months ago. I came out of work a couple weeks ago and heard glass to find this was going on in my back window. It has since shattered completely and I am getting the run around from my Insurance Glass people (Safelight),. It seems this particular Acura glass is backordered. At first I was told 1-2 weeks now today its a month. They have no idea why ?
What should I do?
Old 02-12-2024, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JBates

Hello, I have a 2021 RDX I purchased from an Acura Dealer at the beginning of December just a couple months ago. I came out of work a couple weeks ago and heard glass to find this was going on in my back window. It has since shattered completely and I am getting the run around from my Insurance Glass people (Safelight),. It seems this particular Acura glass is backordered. At first I was told 1-2 weeks now today its a month. They have no idea why ?
What should I do?
why you are going to safelite? Your first contact should be Acura dealer or call to acura corporate if your dealer does not want to do it for free
Old 02-12-2024, 02:34 PM
Retired Geezer

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by JBates
What should I do?
In the mid term this is your future. My glass was replaced 9 months after failure. None of the rear windshield was left.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:39 AM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Just had my rear window shatter for the second time on my 2019 Advance. Last time I went through insurance. Going to dealer with a copy of TSB 22-014 and demand replacement outside of warranty. This has gotta stop.

Sadness, loads of sadness -------------

Old 02-16-2024, 10:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TheLevelOne
Just had my rear window shatter for the second time on my 2019 Advance. Last time I went through insurance. Going to dealer with a copy of TSB 22-014 and demand replacement outside of warranty. This has gotta stop.

Yikes. When was it fixed the first time? I wonder if the new parts really fix the issue, or if it just kicks the can down the road.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:30 AM
Retired Geezer

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLevelOne

The same manner of complete glass fracturing. Really interesting. Must be the same root problem. Deja vu all over again. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:59 PM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Last time was almost two years ago. Went to a glass place that had the piece near me. Will have to see if the "new" glass/defroster TSB fix does the job. Either way, when we hit 65K+ miles, it's but a memory.

Regards --------------
Old 02-16-2024, 07:47 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
For those that have had the glass shatter, do you regularly use the defroster? We've never had the need to use ours so I'm hoping we won't have this problem.
And related, is there anyone that doesn't use the defroster and still had their glass shatter?
Old 02-16-2024, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GW208
For those that have had the glass shatter, do you regularly use the defroster? We've never had the need to use ours so I'm hoping we won't have this problem.
And related, is there anyone that doesn't use the defroster and still had their glass shatter?
Do you have a 2019 or 2020 MY RDX? Seems like the vast majority with issues are in this range.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:38 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Otherbmw
Do you have a 2019 or 2020 MY RDX? Seems like the vast majority with issues are in this range.
Yes, ours is a 2020 model.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
That may just be because it takes a while for the thermal cycles to stress the glass enough to break. The TSB says that the cause may be
an incorrectly spec'd defroster, but they do not state that is definitely is caused by that. i.e., it seems to just be a guess. More that one person
has had the glass replaced by Acura, only to have it break again some time later. It seems to be more likely to happen in cold weather regions,
but it is not limited to that.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by attofarad
That may just be because it takes a while for the thermal cycles to stress the glass enough to break. The TSB says that the cause may be
an incorrectly spec'd defroster, but they do not state that is definitely is caused by that. i.e., it seems to just be a guess. More that one person
has had the glass replaced by Acura, only to have it break again some time later. It seems to be more likely to happen in cold weather regions,
but it is not limited to that.
Could be…only time will tell unless Acura steps up with a real solution and issues a recall!
Old 02-17-2024, 08:50 AM
Drifting

Could be…only time will tell unless Acura steps up with a real solution and issues a recall!
I don't see a recall happening. A recall means there's a fix and as far as I can see, they are just replacing w/the same glass. Not enough people making a stink about it. Many who experience it may just leave the brand, never to be heard from again.

This would be more devastating as a Honda problem as there are way more CRVs sold!

Quick Reply: 2019 RDX rear window shattering