2019 RDX rear window shattering

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 01:15 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Solid reasoning, ty for this.
How would you know if the strip at the top is not seated perfectly if it is closed ?
I would imagine the rear hatch is composite(perhaps) and not steel to make it lighter...
One thing to look at from an alignment perspective are the rear tail lights and if the hatch lights line up with the frame lights, when the hatch is closed. Also, is the hatch catch perpendicular to the rear bumper, mine was at a slight angle I have a 2019 RDX, and my tailights were significantly misaligned and the hatch made a growling/grinding noise when it was in its last stage of closing. After I brought to the dealer, they realigned the hatch catch and the lights were now aligned and no more growling/grinding noise on closure.

I did not notice the strip at the top, but I'm sure since the rest of this was misaligned it was as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:08 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Solid reasoning, ty for this.
How would you know if the strip at the top is not seated perfectly if it is closed ?
I would imagine the rear hatch is composite(perhaps) and not steel to make it lighter...
the strip at the top was only one symptom. it flipped up, and did not seal right. i never got pics that were worth anything, sorry ;(
Old 01-15-2024, 06:58 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaidyn9
Anyone else ha e their rear window just shatter?
I got into my RDX after work, closed the door and my rear window shattered. Large hole. Was not hot nor cold out. I am in Ontario Canada
Anyone else have this issue or know of someone who has?
@jaidyn9 Just had this happen to me today. Also in Thunder Bay. Spontaneous shatter. Fortunately, the local dealership took care of me offering a loaner and booked me in the next day. Happy this was resolved.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:07 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
What year RDX?
Old 01-15-2024, 08:12 PM
3rd Gear

Old 01-21-2024, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
I noticed my rear glass shattered last Friday morning. It was parked in the garage all night. No idea how it happened.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustachio
I noticed my rear glass shattered last Friday morning. It was parked in the garage all night. No idea how it happened.
Seems like a lot of 2019s.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:53 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by Otherbmw
Seems like a lot of 2019s.
It almost seems as much a certainty as the puddle lights going out on the TLX!

I know glass is usually not covered by warranty but I'm hoping Acura corporate takes some accountability!
Old 01-23-2024, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Honda HR-V rear windows are shattering in the cold. Consumer Reports says the car should be recalled.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/honda-hr-v-rear-window-shattering-recall-consumer-reports/
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 02:17 PM
Pro

“Honda HR-V owners have lodged more than 300 complaints about shattered rear windshields with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which is an unusually high number for a newer model”

Has anyone tabulated the # of complaints for the RDX?
Old 01-23-2024, 02:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So an update on my situation. The initial shatter occured just before New Years and took exactly 3 weeks to the day to get a resolution from Honda Canada. They emailed me a few days before that that they were in communications with the dealership. They said 3 to 5 business days to get assigned someone but took much longer.

A few tips for others who haven't had theirs crack yet. Consider maybe keeping a role of tape in your car. I used Guerilla clear tape initially to tape it up and then when I ran of out that I used packing tape on the outside and inside of the window. When I brought it into the dealership to get checked (as they need to provide a quote to Honda Canada as part of the process) the service guy offered to put blue plastic on the back which was great. It helped me feel more comfortable driving it on local roads that it wouldn't all just fall out at some point!). I ended up driving it locally still but for longer trips I managed to borrow another vehicle. In general I kept my driving to a minimum and only went on the highway a couple of times. Be careful when applying the tape, like wear gloves so you don't cut yourself on the glass!

Overall the dealership service was excellent. They said that all of the glass would be vacuumed out but there was a slight chance there might be a piece they couldn't get too but seems like it is all good now and maybe it helped that I got tape on it so it didn't have a chance to fall into the rear hatch as easily (seemed the area where some glass fell off was more around the rear wiper mount).

I am glad Acura/Honda came through on the approval but if this is such a common issue they really should streamline it and allow for a quicker acceptance/processing. I didn't want to go ahead with the repair in advance and try to get compensation later because I was worried I would just get dealer credit.

BTW it was a 2019 RDX.
ELIN (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ylsf
So an update on my situation. The initial shatter occured just before New Years and took exactly 3 weeks to the day to get a resolution from Honda Canada. They emailed me a few days before that that they were in communications with the dealership. They said 3 to 5 business days to get assigned someone but took much longer.

A few tips for others who haven't had theirs crack yet. Consider maybe keeping a role of tape in your car. I used Guerilla clear tape initially to tape it up and then when I ran of out that I used packing tape on the outside and inside of the window. When I brought it into the dealership to get checked (as they need to provide a quote to Honda Canada as part of the process) the service guy offered to put blue plastic on the back which was great. It helped me feel more comfortable driving it on local roads that it wouldn't all just fall out at some point!). I ended up driving it locally still but for longer trips I managed to borrow another vehicle. In general I kept my driving to a minimum and only went on the highway a couple of times. Be careful when applying the tape, like wear gloves so you don't cut yourself on the glass!

Overall the dealership service was excellent. They said that all of the glass would be vacuumed out but there was a slight chance there might be a piece they couldn't get too but seems like it is all good now and maybe it helped that I got tape on it so it didn't have a chance to fall into the rear hatch as easily (seemed the area where some glass fell off was more around the rear wiper mount).

I am glad Acura/Honda came through on the approval but if this is such a common issue they really should streamline it and allow for a quicker acceptance/processing. I didn't want to go ahead with the repair in advance and try to get compensation later because I was worried I would just get dealer credit.

BTW it was a 2019 RDX.
I am going through this right now (I am from Montreal). Acura Canada customer service asked me to get a diagnostic done at the dealer, which is 179.95+ tax. Did you have to do this? Customer service also mentioned that Acura would most probably not cover that cost. I have a 2020 from July 2019 so I’m just out of warranty..
Old 01-23-2024, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JABacura
Acura Canada customer service asked me to get a diagnostic done at the dealer, which is 179.95+ tax.
I was asked just to have the dealer look at it and provide a quote. There isn't much the dealer can do, I mean they just look at see the glass it cracked so I would maybe call the dealer you bought from and see what they say. My dealer didn't charge for the quote. I just got a verbal quote and provided it to the Honda agent during my 2nd call to them.
I would really fight having to pay a $179 fee if they push back as that is usually something that the dealer seems to charge if they determine the item is not under warranty. If your dealer doesn't help maybe try another local dealer. I was also told you can have different experiences talking with different agents at the call centre. Have you been assigned a case manager yet or just initial call? Hopefully you can get someone on your side at the dealer and they will provide what is needed to Honda without cost to you as they will be getting the work one way or the other (either paid by you or paid by Honda).

Old 01-23-2024, 06:20 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ylsf
I was asked just to have the dealer look at it and provide a quote. There isn't much the dealer can do, I mean they just look at see the glass it cracked so I would maybe call the dealer you bought from and see what they say. My dealer didn't charge for the quote. I just got a verbal quote and provided it to the Honda agent during my 2nd call to them.
I would really fight having to pay a $179 fee if they push back as that is usually something that the dealer seems to charge if they determine the item is not under warranty. If your dealer doesn't help maybe try another local dealer. I was also told you can have different experiences talking with different agents at the call centre. Have you been assigned a case manager yet or just initial call? Hopefully you can get someone on your side at the dealer and they will provide what is needed to Honda without cost to you as they will be getting the work one way or the other (either paid by you or paid by Honda).
yeah I think the dealer is trying to just make the sale, he gave me the reasoning to just get it done, if Acura provides a SB for Canada I should just call them then and show that the repair is on file and that I should be compensated.

customer service actually sent me an email for me to get ahead the process before it gets to the mediation team. This is why I reached out to my dealer, and then got quoted the 179.95 diagnostic…

We highly recommend at this point to contact the Service Department of your local Acura dealership so that they may inspect your vehicle and suggest the appropriate repair procedure. Please note that for the trained technicians to effectively diagnose your vehicle they must simulate and reproduce the symptoms and then proceed with the most suitable repair.

Once the diagnostic is completed with cost estimates please reply to this email with documentation if you wish us to review for financial assistance.

We thank you again for taking the time to contact Acura Client Services and allowing us the opportunity to respond.”
Old 01-23-2024, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JABacura
Once the diagnostic is completed with cost estimates please reply to this email with documentation if you wish us to review for financial assistance.
Personally I would just try and get them to provide you a quote. And say "yeah, they looked at it and this is the price". Like if you called the dealer and said "how much is it to diagnose an issue" then yeah their default might be $179 + HST but it is crazy that they want that if you specified you just wanted a quote to repair the broken glass.

Like I said I verbally told them (Acura/Honda support) the quoted price over the phone but the dealer shouldn't have an issue providing you a written quote/etc. If you don't want to wait 3 weeks to get a response (you should factor that time in) then pay out of pocket and then make an attempt to get reimbursed by Acura. I wouldn't worry about the TSB not being issued in Canada yet.

PS since you are new to the forum you can also delete parts of my message when you quote respond to them so that other users don't need to see the full text again and I will still see that you responded to one of my posts.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear

Angry Mine exploded last week!

My wife had just bundled the kids into the car to go to daycare and school. She started out the lane and BANG! Instant hole in the window. I did not know at the time that there were issues with her model. I didn't know about the class action lawsuit. I didn't know about the TSB. But Acura did! Not happy with the response from the dealership, "Sorry but you're 2 months past warranty. Nothing we can do." To say that I'm pissed off would be an understatement! I bought this car for my wife because I loved my MDX, even though it had a TSB on my roof paint but that's another thread LOL

Of to Speedy Autoglass for a new window and an insurance claim. Car wore a diaper for the weekend but it back together today. Speedy Auto were definitely speedy but sloppy! Glass still in door and wiper way off. This whole experience has definitely soured me to the brand that I liked!

Old 01-24-2024, 07:55 PM
Pro

What year is yours?
Old 01-24-2024, 07:57 PM
2nd Gear

Old 01-25-2024, 01:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeK88
My wife had just bundled the kids into the car to go to daycare and school. She started out the lane and BANG! Instant hole in the window. I did not know at the time that there were issues with her model. I didn't know about the class action lawsuit. I didn't know about the TSB. But Acura did! Not happy with the response from the dealership, "Sorry but you're 2 months past warranty. Nothing we can do." To say that I'm pissed off would be an understatement! I bought this car for my wife because I loved my MDX, even though it had a TSB on my roof paint but that's another thread LOL

Of to Speedy Autoglass for a new window and an insurance claim. Car wore a diaper for the weekend but it back together today. Speedy Auto were definitely speedy but sloppy! Glass still in door and wiper way off. This whole experience has definitely soured me to the brand that I liked!
Sorry to hear about your experience. Sadly, your experience with the brand is not at all surprising. Acura seems content to be pennywise and pound foolish and not care about customer retention; I guess we get what we paid for.
ESHBG (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 09:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Why this is not a recall? Fuel Pump has a recall because vehicle can stall and its not safe, but if your rear glass explodes on highway its not a safety issue??
Old 01-25-2024, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by russianDude
Why this is not a recall? Fuel Pump has a recall because vehicle can stall and its not safe, but if your rear glass explodes on highway its not a safety issue??
The cost of fixing them under warranty plus the hit to brand equity is less than the cost of a recall plus potential lawsuits. In typical Honda fashion, they did the math and made a dollars based decision.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (01-25-2024), Leaf 68 (01-25-2024), russianDude (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 10:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
The cost of fixing them under warranty plus the hit to brand equity is less than the cost of a recall plus potential lawsuits. In typical Honda fashion, they did the math and made a dollars based decision.
I thought glass wasn't a warrantable item but falls under "wear and tear" like brakes?
Old 01-25-2024, 10:59 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ELIN
I thought glass wasn't a warrantable item but falls under "wear and tear" like brakes?
They did issue a TSB, so they have to fix them if they break under warranty. But, in typical Acura fashion, they may still try to weasel their way out of it.
ESHBG (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 11:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Acura is covering the RDX rear glass under warranty.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...25484-0001.pdf
ELIN (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

The glass has a manufacturing flaw. Acura is aware
of this defect. The replacement glass does not have this defect. The glass shatters due to manufacturing defect and not road hazard/accident
ELIN (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Acura is covering the RDX rear glass under warranty.

yes, but only normal warranty (4 yr/50k applies). Thats not right since they know there is a defect
ELIN (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 12:26 PM
AZ Community Team

yes, but only normal warranty (4 yr/50k applies). Thats not right since they know there is a defect
If Honda/Acura know it's a defect, Honda will most probably cover it out of warranty as well. That's currently happening with the A/C compressors and condensers for recent Honda Accord/CR-V/Civics' due to a manufacturing defect of the compressor seals and condensers that get pinholes. Honda are covering them 10 years and unlimited of ownership. Both are covered under TSB's, there was no recall. Honda has already replaced my daughter's Civic condenser out of warranty and covered all costs. That's pretty typical of Honda/Acura throughout their history.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...63796-0001.pdf

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-25-2024 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

If Honda/Acura know it's a defect, Honda will most probably cover it out of warranty as well. That's currently happening with the A/C compressors and condensers for recent Honda Accord/CR-V/Civics' due to a manufacturing defect of the compressor seals and condensers that get pinholes. Honda are covering them 10 years and unlimited of ownership. Both are covered under TSB's, there was no recall. Honda has already replaced my daughter's Civic condenser out of warranty and covered all costs. That's pretty typical of Honda/Acura throughout their history.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...63796-0001.pdf

well, some already paid out of pocket because dealership did not want to fix it for free. There is no official warranty extension on it as of now

Last edited by russianDude; 01-25-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:46 PM
AZ Community Team

well, some already paid out of pocket because dealership did not want to fix it for free. There is no official warrant extension on it as of now
YMMV, the TSB has no time limit on that document so it should be out of the typical time warranty. So contact your Acura rep, Toyota and Honda are the pillar of auto manufacturers covering various repairs out of warranty.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:01 PM
Safety Car

well, some already paid out of pocket because dealership did not want to fix it for free. There is no official warranty extension on it as of now
Case in point, this guy: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-.../#post16923413
Old 01-25-2024, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

YMMV, the TSB has no time limit on that document so it should be out of the typical time warranty. So contact your Acura rep, Toyota and Honda are the pillar of auto manufacturers covering various repairs out of warranty.
The TSB you referring to states “normal warranty applies”. This means that they not required to fix it for free after 4yr/50k. Sure, some dealers might throw “goodwill” or you can complain to corporate to get it for free, but its not guaranteed.
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
ELIN (01-25-2024), HotRodW (01-26-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
The glass has a manufacturing flaw. Acura is aware
of this defect. The replacement glass does not have this defect. The glass shatters due to manufacturing defect and not road hazard/accident
Is it the glass itself ? I thought someone posted it has something to do with the rear hatch being some type of composite, and if the hatch wasn't completely aligned it would cause pressure and break the glass.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Is it the glass itself ? I thought someone posted it has something to do with the rear hatch being some type of composite, and if the hatch wasn't completely aligned it would cause pressure and break the glass.
Acura claims it's the rear defroster grid:
Old 01-25-2024, 04:15 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Acura claims it's the rear defroster grid:
Interesting. Is there a TSB for anything beyond 2019 models?
Old 01-25-2024, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

Interesting. Is there a TSB for anything beyond 2019 models?
It inclues some 2020s, but for 2021+ it means you are at the mercy of your dealership and/or ACA even if you're within the warranty period.

IMO it's only a matter of time before they expand the TSB, but who knows if they'll reimburse people who paid out of pocket to get it fixed outside of the dealership if the dealership wasn't willing to fix it under warranty.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
It inclues some 2020s, but for 2021+ it means you are at the mercy of your dealership and/or ACA even if you're within the warranty period.

IMO it's only a matter of time before they expand the TSB, but who knows if they'll reimburse people who paid out of pocket to get it fixed outside of the dealership if the dealership wasn't willing to fix it under warranty.
IMO - this is not wide spread, otherwise a recall for the glass would have been issued. If it's a mis-aligned rear hatch that causes stress - that more of a build issue in the factory before they catch it. If it's the heat element, maybe it gets too hot too quick. I've used mine in -10 degrees without an issue. Drove through warm car washes in the winter with a freezing RDX and perfectly fine.

Odd things will happen to a % of any manufactured item - but Acura is building a solid RDX that very reliable. I feel for the people who have issues on anything, as I have been there before on other vehicles - only regret was I didn't punt fast enough to get a more reliable vehicle.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
IMO - this is not wide spread, otherwise a recall for the glass would have been issued. If it's a mis-aligned rear hatch that causes stress - that more of a build issue in the factory before they catch it. If it's the heat element, maybe it gets too hot too quick. I've used mine in -10 degrees without an issue. Drove through warm car washes in the winter with a freezing RDX and perfectly fine.

Odd things will happen to a % of any manufactured item - but Acura is building a solid RDX that very reliable. I feel for the people who have issues on anything, as I have been there before on other vehicles - only regret was I didn't punt fast enough to get a more reliable vehicle.
Based on reports, you might be b/w 1-2 years away from finding out for yourself for your MY21 RDX. I believe the issue is the way the rear frame was designed causes some warping over time. The glass is stressed throughtout the warranty period and then gives up. YMMV of course of when it gives since everyone uses their RDX differently and drive in different climates.

There's nothing you can do about it now but keep an eye on it and remember the reports of the owners who experienced this before you!
Old 01-26-2024, 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Based on reports, you might be b/w 1-2 years away from finding out for yourself for your MY21 RDX. I believe the issue is the way the rear frame was designed causes some warping over time. The glass is stressed throughtout the warranty period and then gives up. YMMV of course of when it gives since everyone uses their RDX differently and drive in different climates.

There's nothing you can do about it now but keep an eye on it and remember the reports of the owners who experienced this before you!
Those reports you noted are a very small percentage. It would be interesting to see more details on if those who had the issue were in a prior rear end accident and/or had issues with the tailgate aligning correctly.

If you are worried it will happen (to a RDX or any SUV with a rear tailgate), get the rear window ceramic tinted with 80% (clear) on the inside - it will hold the window in place if it shatters.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 01-26-2024 at 08:26 AM.
ELIN (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 08:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
If you are worried it will happen (to a RDX or any SUV with a rear tailgate), get the rear window ceramic tinted with 80% (clear) on the inside - it will hold the window in place if it shatters.
I've never heard that but sounds like it might not be a bad idea!
Old 01-26-2024, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

I've never heard that but sounds like it might not be a bad idea!
"Window film does increase the safety of the glass; due to a very aggressive adhesive, the film helps to hold the pieces of broken glass together." - Google it and you'll see the advantages. I have tint on all of my windows (including the windshield), for heat rejection, UV rejection and safety if the glass shattered from a unknown or object.
SilverJ (01-26-2024)

Quick Reply: 2019 RDX rear window shattering