2019 Acura RDX vs. Infiniti QX50

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 03:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
2019 Acura RDX vs. Infiniti QX50

*****No bashing or bias opinion*****

Based on reviews, clearly RDX is getting all the attention and praise. But I was wondering if anyone here really tested both cars back to back. If yes, what made you buy one of the vehicles? Last two months of sales show that RDX is more popular and it's compared to Q5, GLC, Stelvio and X3 rather than NX and QX.
I truly believe the QX50 looks good and the interior is very classy minus the dual and outdated screens.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2018, 03:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the feel and interior quality of the QX50. The bose speakers sounded amazing too. What I didn't like was the CVT
Old 08-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
...What I didn't like was the CVT
That. Even CVTs that try to emulate fixed gears just don't 'feel' right.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:21 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Redline did a review. The cvt is just horid. I would never buy a car with it.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Looked at the QX50 but couldn't deal with the "rubber band" transmission.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Our vehicle choice came down to the RX, QX50 and the RDX. The better mileage that the QX gets with the new engine is appealing, but I worried about its unproven reliability. The $7500 package that is required to match what the RDX has also put it above my price target. This probably sounds nitpicky, but the deciding factor was the super-cheap, rubber-like sliding cover for the center console storage area. I couldn't live with that in a "luxury" vehicle.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
There was a comparison somewhere and the RDX came out on top, but the Q was highly regarded.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes, tested them back to back. Most points have already been made that were negatives: CVT, unproven engine technology (I’ve noticed they are now marketing “Ward’s 10 best engines” to try to overcome that), outdated two screen system, and the biggest one we noticed was second row leg room was less than the RDX. Didn’t fully price both loaded up, but I think the RDX wins that as well. We take delivery of an an Advance SH-AWD on Saturday.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Here is one online review of them both side by side: https://www.motor1.com/reviews/25307...infiniti-qx50/

My take:
  • CVT is not the problem. it is more efficient than gear transmission and gives a smoother feel as well. However, most "sports" driving enthusiast will hate it. This is one that you should go test drive yourself to see if it really matters to you.
  • Dual screen, outdated tech, looks like last gen infotainment ported over.
  • Backseat, although lacked leg room, its actually quite comfortable with the reclining backseat.
  • Cargo space is actually quite large. Although seem shorter, it is a lot more height. It is even larger with the seats down.
  • Price. Although MSRP is higher, Infiniti is known for it's insane discount. Come Dec., I bet the out the door price will be on par with RDX.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:45 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
Here is one online review of them both side by side: https://www.motor1.com/reviews/25307...infiniti-qx50/
Nice review. Even though my wife and I came to a different ultimate conclusion, I agree with each of the assessment buckets in which they broke it down and the winners of each at a high level (maybe not individual items in all cases such as the seats). As far as our decision to go RDX, we happened to put more emphasis/weighting on the buckets in which the Acura was better. I feel at the Advance trim level the $49K price point vs. $60k is a pretty massive gap, a ~20% difference, and you’re still living with the CVT and infotainment interface every time you get in the car, whereas cargo space and some of the other areas QX50 wins out are areas that we’d feel the downside in the RDX only some of the time or extremes of use cases. I think both vehicles would have a similar cost of ownership based on my experience with both brands, owning a model from each for 9-10 years.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:04 AM
Burning Brakes

As far as sales goes, Acura just have better marketing. Nobody launches a model like Acura. Just look at the press launch and the euro comparison vehicles they bought out.

I am curious to see how both model fairs internationally. I know in Asia, Nissan/Infiniti is very popular and known for its performance background.
QX50 is talked about a lot in Asian forums but not Acura, I am not even sure if they are sold overseas.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Great feedback from everyone. I also watched this video:

Of course, every reviewer and individual has their preferences. In my opinion (based on the info that I have gathered) both cars are great in different departments. QX50 might have a more luxurious cabin and bigger trunk and RDX has better handling, infotainment (tech) and $ value.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:52 AM
AZ Community Team

As far as sales goes, Acura just have better marketing. Nobody launches a model like Acura. Just look at the press launch and the euro comparison vehicles they bought out.

I am curious to see how both model fairs internationally. I know in Asia, Nissan/Infiniti is very popular and known for its performance background.
QX50 is talked about a lot in Asian forums but not Acura, I am not even sure if they are sold overseas.

I have to agree with you with the marketing. Acura did a great job with the new RDX launch. Infiniti has a bigger market share in Asia compared to Acura. In China, Infiniti sells at least 20-30K units per year if I am not mistaken. Also, Infiniti exist in Europe, I have seen a few in Germany but it's like an unknown brand.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
The QX50 has a new Autograph package which is a really beautiful interior but, adds yet another $2,000 to the already higher price.
Of course, even with white quilted leather, you still get a CVT which seems downscale for a luxury brand.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought the RDX in July, but prior to that, I test drove the F-Pace, X3, and Q5. I would not touch Lexus as the looks alone scared me away, and I was not too interested in the Q50 either. Of the vehicles I considered, the F-Pace still is the nicest looking, but the RDX came in second for exterior appearance. When I looked at all other factors (size, technology, driving dynamics, and standard features) the RDX was a clear top choice. The primary complaint with the RDX relative to the competition is city MPG but that was not a big enough issue to outweigh the other benefits from the RDX.

As for sales, I look for the RDX to continue to go toe to toe with the Q5 the rest of the year.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX
I bought the RDX in July, but prior to that, I test drove the F-Pace, X3, and Q5. I would not touch Lexus as the looks alone scared me away, and I was not too interested in the Q50 either. Of the vehicles I considered, the F-Pace still is the nicest looking, but the RDX came in second for exterior appearance. When I looked at all other factors (size, technology, driving dynamics, and standard features) the RDX was a clear top choice. The primary complaint with the RDX relative to the competition is city MPG but that was not a big enough issue to outweigh the other benefits from the RDX.

As for sales, I look for the RDX to continue to go toe to toe with the Q5 the rest of the year.
We looked at Q5, XC60 and Lexus RX. The RX interior is horrible, people complained about Acura's over use of button, the RX looks like it was designed in 2000. The XC60 had am amazing interior, but was a tad unrefined in the drivetrain and the infotainment system was overly confusing. Q5 road good, exterior noise was a tad more than desirable and the interior just feels too utilitarian.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:40 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Acura is a North American brand only. Everywhere else they are Hondas.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Acura is a North American brand only. Everywhere else they are Hondas.
Acura is sold in China, Middle East and Russia as well.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
We shopped the QX50, RDX Advance and XC60. I agree that the CVT in the QX50 was poor and magazine reviews are concerned about the overall complexity of the variable compression engine. My wife is 5' tall and, with the seats height all the way up, it took her foot off the mat and made it uncomfortable to drive while pressing the accelerator. We then narrowed it down to the XC60 and RDX. Loved the interior and ride of the XC but three things were an issue for us:

1. It was going to be about $4K more out the door for an almost" apples to apples comparison (the XC60 had AWD and the RDX was FWD and the XC60 was missing some features found in the RDX like ventilated seats and a few others)
2. The XC60 has horrible reliability reviews and is not recommended by Consumer Reports and several other pubs
3. The XC60 is made in CHINA and not in Sweden

The RDX appeared to be the best choice and most well rounded vehicle and it's safety scores on www.iihs.org are second to none and even beat out the XC60!
The following 4 users liked this post by securityguy:
birdonamission (09-04-2018), pgeorg (09-04-2018), Stew4HD (09-04-2018), _korangar (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 09:09 PM
AZ Community Team

^ Great comparison! Appreciate the feedback!
Old 09-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
We shopped the QX50, RDX Advance and XC60. I agree that the CVT in the QX50 was poor and magazine reviews are concerned about the overall complexity of the variable compression engine. My wife is 5' tall and, with the seats height all the way up, it took her foot off the mat and made it uncomfortable to drive while pressing the accelerator. We then narrowed it down to the XC60 and RDX. Loved the interior and ride of the XC but three things were an issue for us:

1. It was going to be about $4K more out the door for an almost" apples to apples comparison (the XC60 had AWD and the RDX was FWD and the XC60 was missing some features found in the RDX like ventilated seats and a few others)
2. The XC60 has horrible reliability reviews and is not recommended by Consumer Reports and several other pubs
3. The XC60 is made in CHINA and not in Sweden

The RDX appeared to be the best choice and most well rounded vehicle and it's safety scores on www.iihs.org are second to none and even beat out the XC60!
It came down to the XC60 and RDX for me as well. I echo everything you said. It was hard, but I just couldn't justify spending an extra $5-7k for the same features I can get in the RDX. AWD is nice, but I didn't think it was something I necessarily needed (and my husband is planning to buy an AWD vehicle in the coming months). And an added con for the XC60 although small: the second row was tighter and has that annoying hump in the middle while the RDX doesn't
Old 09-23-2018, 09:18 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hello again folks. I have been lurking around this forum and was pretty steadfast about getting an Advance. Unfortunately, here in St Louis the Advance is hard to come by, yet alone test drive. That said, Saturday I happened by chance into my infiniti dealership . I have owned an M35x for over 10 years with absolutely no issues. I previously sat in a QX50 and did not like the seats and never test drove the car and moved on. this time, a different dealership had me drive the Essential trim decked out with all the options. MSRP close to 57xxx. I explained where I was on the RDx and he asked if they narrowed the price gap would I be interested. I said sure and drove it. loved it and have it in my driveway for an extended 2 day test drive. It is still more expensive than the rdx advance but not by much by the time I add options to the RDX (hitch, welcome lights and rails/crossbars). approximately 1500 apart (but I am still working to close the gap). Acura dealers here are not discounting more than nickels. couple of questions:

1. How concerned should I be about the cvt and the engine? that said, I really have no mechanical knowledge and I am a typical driver (not racing cornering etc.). highway to/from work and gravel/light back trails. should I really care? I am close to having them throw in an extended warranty to give me comfort but who knows. Clearly Infiniti is feeling the pain of not selling enough of these and Acura I believe is cutting well into their sales. I did notice that that QX50 was a little slower out of the gate (and a slight rattle of some sort). is that the CVT and/or engine design issue folks are talking about?
2. apples to apples on pricing would that change folks opinions? I truly believe that the seats in the QX50 are far more comfortable (at least how I fit and my wife) but only at the higher trim.
3. QX50 comes with the 20" run flats. I have no experience with run flats and have driven on Continental Pure Contacts (awesome tire) for years. anything unique about runflats?
4. my opinion the QX50 offered a smoother more luxury feel of a ride compared to the Advance. I could not do a back to back test so my perception may be off a little. anybody do back to back test drives?

thanks
Old 09-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by goingcrazy12
hello again folks. I have been lurking around this forum and was pretty steadfast about getting an Advance. Unfortunately, here in St Louis the Advance is hard to come by, yet alone test drive. That said, Saturday I happened by chance into my infiniti dealership . I have owned an M35x for over 10 years with absolutely no issues. I previously sat in a QX50 and did not like the seats and never test drove the car and moved on. this time, a different dealership had me drive the Essential trim decked out with all the options. MSRP close to 57xxx. I explained where I was on the RDx and he asked if they narrowed the price gap would I be interested. I said sure and drove it. loved it and have it in my driveway for an extended 2 day test drive. It is still more expensive than the rdx advance but not by much by the time I add options to the RDX (hitch, welcome lights and rails/crossbars). approximately 1500 apart (but I am still working to close the gap). Acura dealers here are not discounting more than nickels. couple of questions:

1. How concerned should I be about the cvt and the engine? that said, I really have no mechanical knowledge and I am a typical driver (not racing cornering etc.). highway to/from work and gravel/light back trails. should I really care? I am close to having them throw in an extended warranty to give me comfort but who knows. Clearly Infiniti is feeling the pain of not selling enough of these and Acura I believe is cutting well into their sales. I did notice that that QX50 was a little slower out of the gate (and a slight rattle of some sort). is that the CVT and/or engine design issue folks are talking about?
2. apples to apples on pricing would that change folks opinions? I truly believe that the seats in the QX50 are far more comfortable (at least how I fit and my wife) but only at the higher trim.
3. QX50 comes with the 20" run flats. I have no experience with run flats and have driven on Continental Pure Contacts (awesome tire) for years. anything unique about runflats?
4. my opinion the QX50 offered a smoother more luxury feel of a ride compared to the Advance. I could not do a back to back test so my perception may be off a little. anybody do back to back test drives?

thanks
1 In my experience Nissan CVTs simply don't last. I've had enough bad experience that I will never buy another nissan with a CVT. On top of that the engine technology in the QX50 is brand new and never done before, you're going to be the guinea pig for this for sure and whos to say it doesn't last either 10 years+ no issues or simply implode in a few thousand miles? I personally would never take that risk at least without waiting a couple years to let them work out the inevitable kinks.

2 Apples to apples pricing I'd still take the RDX for reasons mentioned above.

3 I have no experience with run flats except that on any forum I have ever been on, they are always talked down on and replaced by owners immediately for normal tires.

Ultimately I think the QX50 is a good looking little ute but the RDX is more refined with a far superior transmission and AWad system as well the infotainment system in the QX50 is ancient and recycled garbage from 10+ years ago. In either case you will still be the guinea pig but I know which one I'd rather be the tester for and that isn't the QX50.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Food for thought.

I have a CVT in my wife’s Accord. It is OK. Not, for me, in a $50K car, though.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

1. CVT shouldn’t bothers you if you can’t tell the difference from your day to day driving habits. If you can’t tell, why does it matter? It is a more proven technology than Acura’s 10 speed tranny. Based on how you drive, it bothers some more than others.

2. Yes Infiniti top trim seats are actually more comfortable, hard to imagine but it’s true to me. Would that sway me over? No, Acura Advance is enough for me.

3. Run flats are typically more noisy and gives a harder ride given everything else to be the same. There is not a lot of love for the Contis here either. Tires can always be swapped out.

4. That’s for you to determine. Most review peg the GLC as having tre most luxurious interior in its class, I beg he differ.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Food for thought.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TsuQUaTH1_g

I have a CVT in my wife’s Accord. It is OK. Not, for me, in a $50K car, though.
It's been a while since I've taken thermodynamics but if i remember correctly the more variables in a system the more you increase the entropy and increased entropy leads to increased chaos in a system. That's a nerdy way of saying since Nissan has added so much more complexity to the system the chances of something going wrong are so much more likely.

I don't mind the way CVTs drive 95% of my driving is relaxed city driving anyways. Rather for me it is the reliability. Not sure how Honda's CVTs stack up to Nissan, but I've had my own Nissan Murano CVT shit the bed and a few friends have had major issues. The latest being a friend with a 2013 rogue with only 15k miles spring a leak spilling almost all the transmission fluid all over the ground. Leaks do happen with normal transmissions but it's just another nail in the coffin for me.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:32 PM
AZ Community Team

I can't comment much but one of my colleagues is in the market for a SUV. He test drove QX50 and GLC so far and he eliminated the QX50 after the very first test. He said he won't pay close to $60K CDN for CVT and a very outdated infotainment. But he did praise the interior material. I will provide more info. He is test driving RDX and X3 this week.

If the CVT, new engine and an outdated infotainment don't bother you, you might like the QX50. Also, I believe sporty doesn't make any difference to you as well?
Old 09-23-2018, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
  1. QX50 does not have as much room under rear floor
  2. QX50 has no Android Auto; RDX at least looked to be getting it after purchase
  3. I figured the RDX would have the better AWD system when required
  4. Question of which of the first year of production vehicles would have fewer problems and to me this would be the RDX
  5. RDX has better headlights in lower trim versions.
  6. RDX was less expensive to obtain
Old 09-23-2018, 05:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDX10
It's been a while since I've taken thermodynamics but if i remember correctly the more variables in a system the more you increase the entropy and increased entropy leads to increased chaos in a system. That's a nerdy way of saying since Nissan has added so much more complexity to the system the chances of something going wrong are so much more likely.

I don't mind the way CVTs drive 95% of my driving is relaxed city driving anyways. Rather for me it is the reliability. Not sure how Honda's CVTs stack up to Nissan, but I've had my own Nissan Murano CVT shit the bed and a few friends have had major issues. The latest being a friend with a 2013 rogue with only 15k miles spring a leak spilling almost all the transmission fluid all over the ground. Leaks do happen with normal transmissions but it's just another nail in the coffin for me.

When we bought the 2014 Honda, we also test drove the Altima. I felt the seats were way better in the Altima, but the entire drivetrain, engine and tranny, thoroughly sucked compared to the Honda. The Altima really ‘motorboated’ and the Honda didn’t. Having said that, for how my wife uses the car, the CVT and 2.4 were, and are, absolutely fine. I just don’t ask that drivetrain to do what it does not do.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Actually, from mechanical engineering point of view, CVT is a lot simpler than multi gears transmission. It’s only recently that in both material (band) and compute/software that can make it possible to handle today’s engine.

i can’t speak for you and your friends situation but as with any new implementation, there are always issues, including traditional trans.

There are many cars with CVT that you are probably not even aware of, such as Subaru. I always get a disbelieve look when I tell folks if you buy WRX with a automatic transmission, not that you would want to, but if you do, you get a CVT. It’s all in the software to get the feel and efficient right.

Last edited by acuraada; 09-23-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

When we bought the 2014 Honda, we also test drove the Altima. I felt the seats were way better in the Altima, but the entire drivetrain, engine and tranny, thoroughly sucked compared to the Honda. The Altima really ‘motorboated’ and the Honda didn’t. Having said that, for how my wife uses the car, the CVT and 2.4 were, and are, absolutely fine. I just don’t ask that drivetrain to do what it does not do.
Nissan seats have been AMAZING for a while now. The nicest most comfortable seats I have ever sat in were in a 2009 Murano LE. It's literally like sitting in a big recliner. But I agree, the drivetrain is crap and NVH is embarrassing. For an everyday car CVTs are totally ok, I don't hate the way they drive at all, just not sold on long term longevity.

Actually, from mechanical engineering point of view, CVT is a lot simpler than multi gears transmission. It’s only recently that in both material (band) and compute/software that can make it possible to handle today’s engine.

i can’t speak for you and your friends situation but as with any new implementation, there are always issues, including traditional trans.

There are many cars with CVT that you are probably not even aware of, such as Subaru. I always get a disbelieve look when I tell folks if you buy WRX with a automatic transmission, not that you would want to, but if you do, you get a CVT. It’s all in the software to get the feel and efficient right.
My comment about complexity was about the variable compression engine, not the CVT. I was replying to the video Madddog posted as well as his comment on CVTs afterwards.

Yes you are correct, as I mentioned issues can happen with normal transmissions too, but that my numerous bad experiences have permanently barred CVTs for me. Not sure if it's still the case, but I also remember CVTs were not feasibly rebuildable which meant whole new transmissions if you had issues.

I am aware of the proliferation of CVTs in the auto industry, I actually had a large discussion about this very topic on here a few months ago. The consensus was that with transmissions going to ridiculous gear numbers, CVTs are technically the ultimate auto transmission and where the auto industry is headed because you can only increase gears to a certain point before it gets ridiculous and causes negative effects.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Nissan seats have been AMAZING for a while now. The nicest most comfortable seats I have ever sat in were in a 2009 Murano LE. It's literally like sitting in a big recliner. But I agree, the drivetrain is crap and NVH is embarrassing. For an everyday car CVTs are totally ok, I don't hate the way they drive at all, just not sold on long term longevity.

My comment about complexity was about the variable compression engine, not the CVT. I was replying to the video Madddog posted as well as his comment on CVTs afterwards.

Yes you are correct, as I mentioned issues can happen with normal transmissions too, but that my numerous bad experiences have permanently barred CVTs for me. Not sure if it's still the case, but I also remember CVTs were not feasibly rebuildable which meant whole new transmissions if you had issues.

I am aware of the proliferation of CVTs in the auto industry, I actually had a large discussion about this very topic on here a few months ago. The consensus was that with transmissions going to ridiculous gear numbers, CVTs are technically the ultimate auto transmission and where the auto industry is headed because you can only increase gears to a certain point before it gets ridiculous and causes negative effects.
Right, make sense with the engine.... Only time will tell how it holds up. Since I keep my car long term, the risks wouldn’t sit well

its strange, you don’t hear Tesla folks complaining with their single gear motors
Old 09-25-2018, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Right, make sense with the engine.... Only time will tell how it holds up. Since I keep my car long term, the risks wouldn’t sit well

its strange, you don’t hear Tesla folks complaining with their single gear motors
It might be that in addition to an arbitration clause, you must also sign a non-disparagement clause when you apply to buy a Tesla. You never know, in this world; I have not had anyone who owns a Tesla deny it.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Right?! I would not want to be the guinea pig for this new engine whatsoever. I can only imagine one of those pins holding that arm that changes the compression getting loose or something causing the engine to chew itself apart.

You know what's funny, I was thinking about Tesla during writing my comment yesterday. I don't know much about electronic drivetrains but if I understand this correctly the Tesla uses something called a reduction gear which works completely different than a CVT in mechanics but exactly like a CVT in principle.

I always wondered why they couldn't get a reduction gear to work in a combustion engine but then you realize electrical engines have a very linear power "curve" whereas normal engines really don't and from what I understand reduction gear transmissions only work in those dead straight power "curve" applications. I.e more pedal down equals more power and less pedal equals less power but in a straight diagonal line. Hope I am making some sense here and I could be totally wrong.

It might be that in addition to an arbitration clause, you must also sign a non-disparagement clause when you apply to buy a Tesla. You never know, in this world; I have not had anyone who owns a Tesla deny it.
Wouldn't be surprised because the media is honestly out to get Tesla. I seen the most ridiculous nees story a little while back about Tesla. It goes something like "Tesla owner...", I can't remember what it was exactly but I remember that the car had ZERO to do with what happened but they had to mention that the person who did whatever crime owned a Tesla. They don't even try to hide that they are on a misson to take down the company.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:29 AM
10th Gear

thanks everyone for the thoughts. Have yet to make a decision. that said, couple of follow ups:

1. does the acura 360 view include a front facing camera when pulling into a tight space so that you have a close up shot of the front bumper? the QX50 does and is helpful when parking in tight spaces.
2. I have assumed that the QX50 AWD system is similar (but improved ) compared to my 08 M35x. I am learning that the AWD is different . thought I would try posting here since the QX50 forum in the NICO club is not too active on the QX50 (not quite sure what to make of that, albeit I did post there and on one of the posters indicated that I may be the first poster seriously looking at the new QX50).

thanks
Old 09-26-2018, 08:31 AM
VSG
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Yes, and you can toggle between different modes for the front facing system alongside a top view as well
Old 09-26-2018, 09:09 AM
AZ Community Team

thanks everyone for the thoughts. Have yet to make a decision. that said, couple of follow ups:

1. does the acura 360 view include a front facing camera when pulling into a tight space so that you have a close up shot of the front bumper? the QX50 does and is helpful when parking in tight spaces.
2. I have assumed that the QX50 AWD system is similar (but improved ) compared to my 08 M35x. I am learning that the AWD is different . thought I would try posting here since the QX50 forum in the NICO club is not too active on the QX50 (not quite sure what to make of that, albeit I did post there and on one of the posters indicated that I may be the first poster seriously looking at the new QX50).

thanks
the SH-AWD is superior than Infiniti's AWD. just making sure you know that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
kurtatx (10-10-2018), RDX10 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Drifting

It bears mentioning that the Acura has SH-AWD, which really works well to improve handling, while the Infiniti’s AWD has yet to be described in the reviews I found, beyond that it is RWD when it can be, and that some percentage goes to the front ‘when needed’. Is this just a ‘slip and grip’ system? The reviews all put general driving experience of the Acura at a high level, but at a low level for the Infiniti.

If that matters to the OP.

Lol. Just saw the above when I posted.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 09-26-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

thanks
The QX50 AWD system is NOTHING like the system in your old M35X. The QX50 is no longer RWD based. It sends 100% of power to the front wheels and only AFTER slipping does it send power to the rear up to a maximum of 50%. SH-AWD sends power to the rear BEFORE you slip and can send up to 70%. SH-AWD is literally a top tier AWD system whereas the one in the Infiniti is a run of the mill slip and grip system.

It bears mentioning that the Acura has SH-AWD, which really works well to improve handling, while the Infiniti’s AWD has yet to be described in the reviews I found, beyond that it is RWD when it can be, and that some percentage goes to the front ‘when needed’. Is this just a ‘slip and grip’ system? The reviews all put general driving experience of the Acura at a high level, but at a low level for the Infiniti.

If that matters to the OP.

Lol. Just saw the above when I posted.
The system in the QX50 is indeed a slip and grip system except it's not RWD based but rather FWD based. So it's sending all the power to the front until slip is detected. This is basically a glorified Rogue.

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
The SH-AWD is superior than Infiniti's AWD. just making sure you know that.
Lol this is the truth. SH-AWD is up there with Quattro and X-Drive. Except it actually works better in icy conditions than either of those systems which tend to send too much power to the rear on icy surfaces causing the car to slide sideways due to open diffs. But the new gen Quattro is basically glorified FWD anyways so SH-AWD is the best system on the market IMO.
The following 3 users liked this post by RDX10:
acuraada (09-27-2018), Madd Dog (09-26-2018), Tony Pac (09-26-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 04:03 PM
10th Gear

thanks everyone for their help. I ended up finding an RDX en route a couple of hours away. should be here in about 2 weeks and they were willing to negotiate given the last day of their quarter.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (10-10-2018)

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX vs. Infiniti QX50