Test drove the 2016 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove the 2016 MDX

Went to the dealer today to test drive the TLX and the MDX. First was the TLX i4 and i was surprised how peppy it was.

Then got into the 2016 MDX and I was surprised that it did not accelerate as well as I thought it would be from a stop. I also tried to put it in the sports mode but did not feel a burst of acceleration on any change in driving characteristics or steering feel.

I was surprised by this because a few month ago, I had test driven the 2015 MDX with tech package SH-AWD and I remember that it had a good bit of acceleration and i could also feel the change in the IDS to Sports.

I am not sure if it was driving the TLX first and then the MDX that made me feel that way.

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been driving my 2016 MDX for a little over a week now. In "comfort" mode, it is all about a smooth, quiet ride and maximum mpg. It doesn't "leap" off the line, though I have no doubt it would if I mashed down the accelerator hard. However, in "sport" mode, it absolutely leaps off the line and the difference in both acceleration and steering feel is distinct and significant.

Not sure what might have happened in your case, but my experience has been precisely the opposite of what you describe.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
For what its worth, I test drove a V6 TLX with SH-AWD back in the fall and it felt overly sluggish and unresponsive, so much so, that it turned me off to the TLX. Last weekend, I was back at the dealer for a test drive of the ILX and a 2nd test drive of the V6 TLX SH-AWD and drove totally different.

I am starting to think that these 9 speed trannies are susceptible to the "learning" feature that everyone talks about, and this is the same tranny that the MDX is equipped with, so this could be part of the explanation?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:14 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
I had one of the TLX 4 CYL as a loaner and let it go in econ mode and it was the first time in a LONG time i saw 35+mpg on my dash lol
So randomly at a light i flipped it into sport+ and TOTALLY different driving experience.

If i had a long work commute(and didnt need the Mdx room), i'd definitely pick one up but i'd have liked to take the V6 for a spin
Old 03-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Advanced

I hope thats the case, with the 9 speed "learning" as you mentioned. i will go back next week and do another test drive and see if i feel any different.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 AM
Advanced

How long does it take getting used to for someone who has been driving a sedan to start driving a big SUV?

We have been going back and forth between the TLX and the smaller SUV RDX vs the MDX.

I think the MDX is a better choice, but it will be wife who will be driving, and she is worried about parking in high spaces inside buildings.

Is the size of the MDX deceiving, meaning, that yes it looks big but drives more like a car?
I did not spent enough time with one to get that feeling, but it surely did feel more car like than a big SUV.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:56 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by tin369
How long does it take getting used to for someone who has been driving a sedan to start driving a big SUV?

We have been going back and forth between the TLX and the smaller SUV RDX vs the MDX.

I think the MDX is a better choice, but it will be wife who will be driving, and she is worried about parking in high spaces inside buildings.

Is the size of the MDX deceiving, meaning, that yes it looks big but drives more like a car?
I did not spent enough time with one to get that feeling, but it surely did feel more car like than a big SUV.

Rdx is way more 'carlike' the mdx is deceptive but still big. Front end is short but definitely a large vehicle but if you dont need the space u can get a killer deal on a 2015 rdx or go with all the new gadgets n upgrades on a 2016
Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tin369

Before getting our MDX, I used to drive a 2004 Rav4 and a Civic. For the first couple of days, you would really notice the difference in size when driving it. But once you get used to it, you would notice that this SUV is quite nimble for its size and it's not that big.

I would also think the high seating of the MDX or RDX is better for your wife instead of the sedan, especially if the wife is not on the tall side.

I did not have any issues parking in low ceiling parking structures. I think it is well under the limit of most parking structures.

If you don't need the 3rd row seating, I think the 2016 RDX is your best bet, if you are concerned about size, unless you really like the MDX.

If you and your family likes to go for long drives out of town frequently, the MDX is a really great road trip vehicle.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
It's all in your head evidenced by you feeling a difference in acceleration going into sports mode. The ids in the mdx only changes the steering feel. Lol
Old 03-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
It's all in your head evidenced by you feeling a difference in acceleration going into sports mode. The ids in the mdx only changes the steering feel. Lol
No. It changes throttle sensitivity and SH-AWD torque transfer.