Some advise from you guys regarding the rough shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Some advise from you guys regarding the rough shifting

Hi All,

Happy Friday, I own a 2015 tech AWD, powertrain warranty will be expiring at the end of this year, I got this baby 2 yrs ago under 30k miles, right now it has 54k, I headed to the dealership hundreds of times because of the rough shifting, they did the 3x flush, they changed the TC, they kept my car for more than 1 month, they sent the data to techline, techline said "NO PROBLEM", and I chose to live with it.

The issue I am having now:
1) On the highway when slowing down to 5mph because of traffic, and I want to speed up as the front car is moving again, as I depressing on the gas pedal(not heavy), the car feels like doesn't want to shift, and it doesn't accelerate right the way, after 1 or 2 seconds, it bangs in the gear and starts going, this only happens when you reaccelerating from a near stop speed, I also try to accelerate by pressing the gas pedal very very lightly, by the time my speed picks up, I am already .5km away from the front car, which I will usually get honk from the car behind me.

2) When accelerating from high speed, the car doesn't downshift smoothly, if I do heavy foot, it will bang into 5th gear and power burst, if I do it very gently, speed picks up very slowly as the rpm will not change, and after 2 seconds, it bangs into 5th gear, rpm jumps to 3k from 2k, and power burst.

I never got any codes from the transmission nor the engine, therefore, every time I visited the dealer for the same problem, they sent me back with the car is fine, no issue, no codes. Should I pay a visit to the dealer for the final time as my powertrain warranty is ending this year? Or this is the way that this car behaves, I am an over maintenance guy, I changed oil twice a year, trany fluid once a yr, please let me know your opinion.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:28 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
The transmission sounds normal. It has a pedal position sensor on it. If you slam on the gas pedal, it will downshift and accelerate very quickly. If you lightly tap on the gas pedal, then it will accelerate accordingly.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Good to know that, what I was trying to say is that, to drive this car smooth, I have to be accelerating very very lightly....
Old 10-10-2020, 01:04 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
At highway speed, the VCM function is shutting off half the cylinder banks, leaving just 3 engine cylinders running to power the heavy SUV.

So, it helps to use the steering wheel pedal shifter to manually downshift a gear or two, in order to minimize the time lag before full engine power comes back on line.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe the OP has the VCM Tuner 2 installed so the VCM should not be active to cause this issue, but that is a good thing for others to consider if they are having similar issues
Old 10-04-2021, 04:25 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
So I retract my previous statement. I believe I am having the same issue. My transmission on y 2015 Advance MDX is jerky and is hesitating when accelerating. It's annoying as hell. Can the dealer preprogram the transmission to correct this? If so, how much would that cost?
Old 10-04-2021, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
Go to Acura.com go to owners section, enter yoir VIN amd see if there are any updates available.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
So I retract my previous statement. I believe I am having the same issue. My transmission on y 2015 Advance MDX is jerky and is hesitating when accelerating. It's annoying as hell. Can the dealer preprogram the transmission to correct this? If so, how much would that cost?
My experience with having a couple of 6-speed AT's (especially in the wife's '12 TL SH-AWD), when you have that behavior it can be solved by doing a tranny drain-and-fill. I remember one case specifically with the TL where it was hesitating and getting real jerky, and simply put in new fluid after a drain and it was amazing the improvement... Might be that simple....
Old 10-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
There are TSBs for a different issue with the 6 speed: engine revs fluctuating while cruising at steady speed. Fix is to update software and do a triple fluid change on the trans. This TSB service has an 8/80 warranty. So if you’re under 80k miles you might consider having the dealer perform these TSBs and see if that helps the issue you are experiencing:

TSB numbers are 16-062 and 16-063
Old 12-07-2021, 05:44 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael2NB
Hi All,

Happy Friday, I own a 2015 tech AWD, powertrain warranty will be expiring at the end of this year, I got this baby 2 yrs ago under 30k miles, right now it has 54k, I headed to the dealership hundreds of times because of the rough shifting, they did the 3x flush, they changed the TC, they kept my car for more than 1 month, they sent the data to techline, techline said "NO PROBLEM", and I chose to live with it.

The issue I am having now:
1) On the highway when slowing down to 5mph because of traffic, and I want to speed up as the front car is moving again, as I depressing on the gas pedal(not heavy), the car feels like doesn't want to shift, and it doesn't accelerate right the way, after 1 or 2 seconds, it bangs in the gear and starts going, this only happens when you reaccelerating from a near stop speed, I also try to accelerate by pressing the gas pedal very very lightly, by the time my speed picks up, I am already .5km away from the front car, which I will usually get honk from the car behind me.

2) When accelerating from high speed, the car doesn't downshift smoothly, if I do heavy foot, it will bang into 5th gear and power burst, if I do it very gently, speed picks up very slowly as the rpm will not change, and after 2 seconds, it bangs into 5th gear, rpm jumps to 3k from 2k, and power burst.

I never got any codes from the transmission nor the engine, therefore, every time I visited the dealer for the same problem, they sent me back with the car is fine, no issue, no codes. Should I pay a visit to the dealer for the final time as my powertrain warranty is ending this year? Or this is the way that this car behaves, I am an over maintenance guy, I changed oil twice a year, trany fluid once a yr, please let me know your opinion.
Shocking. My 6 speed was smooth. Sounds defective or maybe absued by the former owner's teenage kids When I was a kid I did neutral drops in my parents cars. What a fawklin idiot I was. Did you get this fixed?