RDX to MDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
RDX to MDX

I bought a 2015 RDX Tech AWD in May of 2014 - my first Acura after a long line of Toyota Highlander’s. I was ready for something smaller, but not ready for something without a V6 and the RDX ticked all those boxes. I always found the RDX a bit small, was never the best in the snow and the ride was rougher than I would have liked but overall it was very fuel efficient and very reliable needing a lot less maintenance than my Toyota’s ever did (my last Highlander went through brakes and rotors every 30,000 KM) and usually engine trouble around 130-150,000 KM.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Passport Touring, but my local Acura dealer had an off-lease 2017 MDX Elite with 50,000 KM in immaculate condition, CPO’d with extended warranty already on it for less than a base model Passport. I don’t drive much anymore, I have 3 other vehicles so the MDX won’t get the miles like the RDX did (I put 50,000 KM on it the first year).

I’m having it undercoated this week - I already had the dealer install the door cup and edge film along with the all-weather mats. I have to get a set of winter rims and tires since Acura went back to the 5X120 bolt pattern. Any suggestions on tires and rim sizes? Should I go to 17’s or 18’s?
The following users liked this post:
jcbama85 (10-19-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by AXMACD
I bought a 2015 RDX Tech AWD in May of 2014 - my first Acura after a long line of Toyota Highlander’s. I was ready for something smaller, but not ready for something without a V6 and the RDX ticked all those boxes. I always found the RDX a bit small, was never the best in the snow and the ride was rougher than I would have liked but overall it was very fuel efficient and very reliable needing a lot less maintenance than my Toyota’s ever did (my last Highlander went through brakes and rotors every 30,000 KM) and usually engine trouble around 130-150,000 KM.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Passport Touring, but my local Acura dealer had an off-lease 2017 MDX Elite with 50,000 KM in immaculate condition, CPO’d with extended warranty already on it for less than a base model Passport. I don’t drive much anymore, I have 3 other vehicles so the MDX won’t get the miles like the RDX did (I put 50,000 KM on it the first year).

I’m having it undercoated this week - I already had the dealer install the door cup and edge film along with the all-weather mats. I have to get a set of winter rims and tires since Acura went back to the 5X120 bolt pattern. Any suggestions on tires and rim sizes? Should I go to 17’s or 18’s?
I have a 14 RDX, and traded my 2017 RDX for a 19 MDX Aspec. I like/liked the RDX and there were no problems with them. My Wife has the 14. The reason I went with the MDX, is that I wanted to stay with a V6 as opposed to the Turbo i4 in the 19 RDX. Also, there are good deals on the MDX and not so much with the RDX, being new. I am very happy with the MDX, to me it is nice and roomy, powerful and more rear cargo room and the option to seat 7 if you have to. I don't regret it one bit. On the snow tire size, I could not use my RDXs snow tires as the MDX has 20" tires. I just bought 18" rims with Michelin snow tires. I get them in November.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I only considered the MDX because I needed the space, but even if I was considering the RDX I'd have probably chosen the MDX anyway. The new RDX has a fair amount of growing pains because it's completely new from the ground up, which has led to a lot of problems Acura has been trying to work through. The MDX on the other hand is on year 7 of the current generation and the 2019/2020 models are likely to be about as reliable a vehicle as Acura has made over the past 10 years or so. Because of this I'd be especially concerned/nervous for the new gen MDX set to be launched next year as that will be all new from the ground up and will likely have it's fair share of reliability issues just like the new RDX. By the way, Acura still hasn't worked out all the kinks in the RDX and with much of that tech likely to be in the new MDX I would expect similar issues there as well.

Plus as BLEXV6 said the deals on the MDX are far greater than the RDX: with the RDX selling so well there's no incentive for Acura to give too good of deals on them as even at full MSRP they don't have issues selling them.

All in all I'm satisfied with my decision to buy the 19 MDX and I think you'll enjoy yours as well.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
We have a 13 RDX Tech AWD, and a 18 MDX Tech AWD. Both great vehicles. MDX slightly better/more luxurious in every way over the RDX in varying degrees. Wife is the commuter in the family and while she loves the MDX, she says the RDX is sportier and more responsive for freeway driving. I plan on keeping that RDX a LONG time as it has a NA V6 and not much in the way of nanny features, which we can ALL see is not the way things are going.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
I had a '15 RDX and moved to a '17 MDX for many of the reasons you outlined - and the move from the RDX AWD to the MDX SH-AWD made all the difference in the winter here in NH. The change in wheel bolt pattern caught me by surprise since the 14-16 MDX had 5x114.3 just like the RDX - so I had to find a new set of winter wheels with 5x120 bolt pattern. I personally run 17" winter wheels so I maximize the rubber between the wheel and the potholes. The proper 17" tire size is 245-65R17 to match the overall stock wheel/tire diameter. Personally I run 235-65R17 on my MDX only because that's what I had on my RDX and they work on the MDX (about 1/4" shorter) and they've got a lot of life left in them :-) I also run Nokian snow tires (Nordman 5 on my MDX, Hakkapelliita on the wife's RLX) as they're probably the best on the market.

andy
Old 10-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I also have a 2013 Honda Accord Touring I use as a commuter/everyday vehicle. I bought it used a year after I bought my RDX which lead to some disappointment with the RDX - my $15,000 used Honda Accord had more tech than my $45,000 new loaded Acura RDX. I absolutely love the lane watch camera in my Accord and I wish Acura incorporated it into their models.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:50 AM
Racer

I also have a 2013 Honda Accord Touring I use as a commuter/everyday vehicle. I bought it used a year after I bought my RDX which lead to some disappointment with the RDX - my $15,000 used Honda Accord had more tech than my $45,000 new loaded Acura RDX. I absolutely love the lane watch camera in my Accord and I wish Acura incorporated it into their models.
The lanewatch camera is more of a "passive" assitance feature in lieu of a more comprehensive "active" solution like blind spot monitoring which uses radar to sense objects in your blind spot, alert you if someone is there, and if you try to turn into that lane of traffic either issuing a visual and audible alert or even to vibrate the steering wheel or prevent you from moving into that lane. I don't believe Honda offers both the camera as well as the radar based monitoring system.

The camera could be helpful to be able to see what's there, but the active monitor goes a step further in the event a vehicle is there to lessen the chance of you getting into an accident. Personally between choosing between the 2 I'd rather have the more active system vs just a camera that doesn't do anything else.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:49 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Well thats the irony these days in Honda/Acura. Honda gets better tech and Acura gets the more annoying tech. The Headunit in Accord is what all Acura's should have but no they decided to go with that touchpad interface aping Toyota ignoring the complaints people had with them. People are going Gaga over refreshed TLX which is still based on old Accord, f they had rebadged the current Accord as TLX and put better materials inside, it would have sold twice as much
Old 10-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by technocrat
Well thats the irony these days in Honda/Acura. Honda gets better tech and Acura gets the more annoying tech. The Headunit in Accord is what all Acura's should have but no they decided to go with that touchpad interface aping Toyota ignoring the complaints people had with them. People are going Gaga over refreshed TLX which is still based on old Accord, f they had rebadged the current Accord as TLX and put better materials inside, it would have sold twice as much
I agree with this for the most part except for the interface in the RDX. While it's a new system with it's share of glitches, in the future when you talk about addressing distracted driving, that means moving away from touchscreens and towards less obtrusive interfaces like the touchpad interface in the RDX. Something you can use based on feel and by quickly glancing at something in your line of sight watching the road while driving without having to take your eyes completely off the road and look down at something.

So while the RDX interface may be a bit ahead of it's time I do see that being the standard for interfaces sometime over the next decade. Taking your eyes off the road to look down at a touchscreen (you have to see the icon you are pressing instead of operating by feel and seeing your selection in a HUD like in the RDX) will be phased out when the push against distracted driving gets more serious. That's the problem with the new Volvo's, EVERYTHING even basic climate controls are locked down and require you to interact with their touchscreen/tablet interface. If that system is down you can't do anything.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is 2015 RDX Base, planning to add Car Play in it but some of the dealers said not compatible. Any Idea or Suggestion out it. I live in NH.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:04 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby2478
I agree with this for the most part except for the interface in the RDX. While it's a new system with it's share of glitches, in the future when you talk about addressing distracted driving, that means moving away from touchscreens and towards less obtrusive interfaces like the touchpad interface in the RDX. Something you can use based on feel and by quickly glancing at something in your line of sight watching the road while driving without having to take your eyes completely off the road and look down at something.

So while the RDX interface may be a bit ahead of it's time I do see that being the standard for interfaces sometime over the next decade. Taking your eyes off the road to look down at a touchscreen (you have to see the icon you are pressing instead of operating by feel and seeing your selection in a HUD like in the RDX) will be phased out when the push against distracted driving gets more serious. That's the problem with the new Volvo's, EVERYTHING even basic climate controls are locked down and require you to interact with their touchscreen/tablet interface. If that system is down you can't do anything.
I agree that using touch base interface is more distracting than a non touch one. I found the 2nd Gen MDX & 8th Gen Accord dial interface to be better than the Sync 2 in my Mustang.

I was referring to the overall interface quality. Also I would anyday take the old dial based interface over the touch one as you still have to see of guesstimate on which part of the touchpad you need to touch which would be more distracting than the dial one.