MDX Caught Fire While Parked

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 10:40 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Jenna Walker
Hi there! I'm hoping to reach you. My 2015 Acura MDX started on fire on Sunday after driving about 6 miles. No previous issues. Trying to figure out how to work with Acura to investigate etc and hopeful I might be able to connect by message with you. Grateful.
PM me if you like, but here are the basic steps:

File a complaint with NHTSA
Write a registered letter to Acura and your insurance company citing your NHTSA complaint and requesting them to investigate the cause of the fire.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:06 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi There,

Sorry to hear that and hope every one is OK!
First thing is to report the incident to your insurance and immediately contact Honda USA with an email with supporting pictures here:ahmcustomersupport@ahm.honda.com! Next open a case at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ and wait at least two or maybe three weeks before you get any correspondence back! After I dealt with Honda USA my experience is that they dont stand behind their product and wont do nothing to help you! I got no help like loaner credit for new vehicle etc etc ! My story got so popular among my circle of friends and no one is planning buying a Honda anytime soon!
I was expecting different approach and handling but got a slap in face!

Source
Old 06-03-2020, 08:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Lazar Toshkin
Hi There,

Sorry to hear that and hope every one is OK!
First thing is to report the incident to your insurance and immediately contact Honda USA with an email with supporting pictures here:ahmcustomersupport@ahm.honda.com! Next open a case at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ and wait at least two or maybe three weeks before you get any correspondence back! After I dealt with Honda USA my experience is that they dont stand behind their product and wont do nothing to help you! I got no help like loaner credit for new vehicle etc etc ! My story got so popular among my circle of friends and no one is planning buying a Honda anytime soon!
I was expecting different approach and handling but got a slap in face!

Source
One issue with your complaint is that you emailed customer support. You might as well have given your complaint to a random receptionist at your local Toyota dealer. (yes, I know you have an Acura)

You should have (and I believe I mentioned this to you earlier) that you need to write a real letter, on real paper, in an envelope with a real stamp, registered to the address in the back of your owner's manual.

Why that? The letter needs to be signed for, sliced open and put on somebody's desk in management, where it sits and festers until it is taken care of. An email to customer service drops of the main screen in seconds.

NHTSA, by themselves, won't do much on a random issue with no accident or injuries, but the fact that you reported the incident to NHTSA will get Honda's attention.
The following users liked this post:
moose66 (06-04-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 03:02 PM
L E
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 MDX caught on fire!

In March this year, while driving my son to school my husband's 2014 Acura MDX turned into a ball of flames while driving.
Just as they drove up to the school, my husband noticed smoke coming out above the glove box (passenger side).
He immediately pulled the SUV over just as flames then started shooting out from below the glove box in front of my son's feet.
Luckily both my son and husband were able to jump out in time. Within 2 minutes the whole SUV was engulfed in flames!
I'm thankful that we didn't have younger children in car seats in the SUV, as they would not have been pulled from the vehicle in time.
My husband tried opening the back door and trunk to help release pressure but nothing would open. Pieces of the SUV were shooting out everywhere!
As the occurrence was in front of my son's school, half hour before the bell, not only was my son's and my husband's safety jeopardized, but other students and families were as well.
The fire station is 5 minutes away from the school. It took over 2hrs for the fire department to completely put out the fire.
As per the pictures, it looked like a movie where the vehicle was bombed and there was not much of the vehicle left.

Just over the 5 yrs we have owned this vehicle, it was in perfect running condition, as the maintenance and servicing was followed as per Acura at the the dealership where it was purchased. Even the oil changes were done at the Acura dealership.

It is not acceptable for any vehicle to catch on fire spontaneously, little lone a luxury vehicle such as this.
I would like answers from Acura Canada as this SUV has a high safety rating.
They obviously have a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

Since the pandemic Acura Canada has not had the courtesy of returning our several phone calls.
My husband is an essential worker and has had to work throughout the pandemic.
Apparently Acura does not.

I currently have an Acura RDX also.
If you spoke to me before this incident, I was Acura's#1 fan.
Currently, I am very disappointed with Acura and would not recommend anyone owning an Acura!

Inside of the MDX

bmoua15 (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 06:26 PM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Theres been no recalls for this issue? Seems like the issue is only the 2014-2016 models?
Old 07-06-2020, 07:18 PM
L E
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmoua15
Theres been no recalls for this issue? Seems like the issue is only the 2014-2016 models?
Nope there has been no recalls for this issue! They definitely need one!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by L E
In March this year, while driving my son to school my husband's 2014 Acura MDX turned into a ball of flames while driving.
Just as they drove up to the school, my husband noticed smoke coming out above the glove box (passenger side).
He immediately pulled the SUV over just as flames then started shooting out from below the glove box in front of my son's feet.
Luckily both my son and husband were able to jump out in time. Within 2 minutes the whole SUV was engulfed in flames!
I'm thankful that we didn't have younger children in car seats in the SUV, as they would not have been pulled from the vehicle in time.
My husband tried opening the back door and trunk to help release pressure but nothing would open. Pieces of the SUV were shooting out everywhere!
As the occurrence was in front of my son's school, half hour before the bell, not only was my son's and my husband's safety jeopardized, but other students and families were as well.
The fire station is 5 minutes away from the school. It took over 2hrs for the fire department to completely put out the fire.
As per the pictures, it looked like a movie where the vehicle was bombed and there was not much of the vehicle left.

Just over the 5 yrs we have owned this vehicle, it was in perfect running condition, as the maintenance and servicing was followed as per Acura at the the dealership where it was purchased. Even the oil changes were done at the Acura dealership.

It is not acceptable for any vehicle to catch on fire spontaneously, little lone a luxury vehicle such as this.
I would like answers from Acura Canada as this SUV has a high safety rating.
They obviously have a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

Since the pandemic Acura Canada has not had the courtesy of returning our several phone calls.
My husband is an essential worker and has had to work throughout the pandemic.
Apparently Acura does not.

I currently have an Acura RDX also.
If you spoke to me before this incident, I was Acura's#1 fan.
Currently, I am very disappointed with Acura and would not recommend anyone owning an Acura!

Inside of the MDX
Read my post directly above yours and follow the steps, substituting Transport Canada for NHTSA and use the Canadian address for Acura.

You need to be proactive and perhaps contact an attorney.
L E (07-06-2020)