Hybrid transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 11:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hybrid transmission fluid change

I just picked up an 2018 sport hybrid. Couldn’t find much info on this. But is the procedure for draining and filling the transmission fluid the same as for the non-hybrids? I know that the hybrid uses ATF-Dw1. Any other helpful tips?

TIA
Old 04-24-2021, 07:08 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I have a 19 MDX hybrid (22,000 miles) and a 18 RLX hybrid (16,000 miles). How many miles do you have and do you have the records of any previous maintenance? It has just been for each:
- 2 each oil changes (dealership),
- new cabin and engine air filter (DYI)
- one each rear diff (Twin Motor Unit-TMU) at dealership with DW-1 oil changes at around 15,000-17,000 miles
- 7DCT software update for both

It has suggested by +14 RLX hybrid owners to change the 7DCT fluid every 30,000 miles to keep it happy (I will keep the same schedule for the TMU). I will just take the hybrid to the dealership when my 7DCT is due for a fluid change.

Side note: The 3.0L V-6 only takes around 4.5 qts of oil; while, the 3.5L MDX takes 5.7 qts of engine oil. Some hybrid owners (including me) found out the tech wasn't paying attention and put 5.7 qts. The hybrid is such a low volume vehicle, looks 99% like a 3.5L MDX, and very trouble free to be seen on a regular basis in the dealership's shop.
The following users liked this post:
Zz916zz (04-26-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 07:54 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you for the info mr.gold. It’s at 29k, no maintenance records, the only ones I see are the ones on carfax. I found the thread for changing the fluid on the TMU but none for the transmission. Wanted to tackle both, but if it’s difficult then I will just bring it to the dealership.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:06 AM
mrgold35

I'm thinking what should have been done by 30,000 miles:
- 3 oil and oil filter changes
- 2 or 3 tire rotations/balance
- new cabin filter
- new engine air filter
- rear TMU change at 15,000 miles
- 7DCT fluid change
- 7DCT transmission odd gear TSB #20-039 update

I agree with you about changing out the 7DCT and TMU fluids just to start fresh. The only PITA is you won't be able to reset the M.I.D. maint code for the 7DCT or TMU if it didn't pop up in the dash. The Acura tech can reset individual codes. You might do your 7DCT/TMU fluid changes at the same time you need to do the TSB #20-039 to reset those individual codes?
Old 04-25-2021, 09:15 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Just had the tranny fluid done on my 19 MDX. Not cheap, $600 CDN. I said what is this vehicle a BMW to the dealer? I understand with the push button transmission, which I do not like, it is a costly change. My 14 RDX is more than half that. As a long time owner of Honda and Acura products, I don't fool with their transmissions after the fiasco with my 2002 TL. (4 trannys - Acura paid for them all).
Old 04-25-2021, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Zz916zz
Thank you for the info mr.gold. It’s at 29k, no maintenance records, the only ones I see are the ones on carfax. I found the thread for changing the fluid on the TMU but none for the transmission. Wanted to tackle both, but if it’s difficult then I will just bring it to the dealership.
It was "easy peasy" for me on my 19 hybrid. Transmission and rear unit both use the DW-1 fluid. Drain/fill is basically the same
You will need to lift the car front and rear to make sure it stays level.
Next make sure you can remove the fill ports, Last thing you want to do is drain the fluid and find the fill bolts stuck!
Drain , reinstall the bolt, fill till fluid drips out the fill port.
On the rear, that's it.
On the front the next step was to do a diagnostic mode, start the engine which I can't recall directly, involves incantations with the info display buttons.
Then check the fluid level again and add more if needed

I think there is either a detailed discription of the transmission fluid change in the sticky's or in a post I or someone else made. outlining the transmission level check
The following 2 users liked this post by MCRacer:
mrgold35 (04-26-2021), Zz916zz (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 12:10 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MCRacer
It was "easy peasy" for me on my 19 hybrid. Transmission and rear unit both use the DW-1 fluid. Drain/fill is basically the same
You will need to lift the car front and rear to make sure it stays level.
Next make sure you can remove the fill ports, Last thing you want to do is drain the fluid and find the fill bolts stuck!
Drain , reinstall the bolt, fill till fluid drips out the fill port.
On the rear, that's it.
On the front the next step was to do a diagnostic mode, start the engine which I can't recall directly, involves incantations with the info display buttons.
Then check the fluid level again and add more if needed

I think there is either a detailed discription of the transmission fluid change in the sticky's or in a post I or someone else made. outlining the transmission level check

just curious, what’s the reason to put in diagnostic mode after changing the fluid?
Old 04-26-2021, 12:17 AM
Instructor

just curious, what’s the reason to put in diagnostic mode after changing the fluid?
I have NO clue. Once in maintenance mode it says "run the engine for about 30 seconds then turn off the engine and check the fluid level". How that is any different than just starting the car for 30 seconds I don't know. When I changed mine fluid level didn't change.

Here is how to enter maintance mode: Virtually every warning and dash light will be on in maintenance mode. don't worry about that.

Maintenance Mode
1. Turn the vehicle to the OFF (LOCK) mode.
NOTE: Do the following procedure within 60 seconds to
start the engine in the maintenance mode.
2. Turn the vehicle to the ON mode without stepping on the
brake pedal.
3. With the transmission in P position/mode, press the
accelerator pedal to the floor twice, then release it.
4. Shift the transmission to N position/mode while pressing
down on the brake pedal, then press the accelerator pedal
to the floor twice, then release it.
5. Shift the transmission to P position/mode while pressing
down on the brake pedal, then press the accelerator pedal
to the floor twice, then release it.
6. Press the power switch while pressing down on the brake
pedal. The vehicle is now in the maintenance mode and the
engine will start.
NOTE:
Warning indicators and messages will be displayed
during any of these maintenance modes.
To turn the engine OFF and cancel the maintenance
mode, turn the vehicle to the OFF (LOCK) mode.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I have a 19 MDX hybrid (22,000 miles) and a 18 RLX hybrid (16,000 miles). How many miles do you have and do you have the records of any previous maintenance? It has just been for each:
- one each rear diff (Twin Motor Unit-TMU) at dealership with DW-1 oil changes at around 15,000-17,000 miles

It has suggested by +14 RLX hybrid owners to change the 7DCT fluid every 30,000 miles to keep it happy (I will keep the same schedule for the TMU). I will just take the hybrid to the dealership when my 7DCT is due for a fluid change.

Side note: The 3.0L V-6 only takes around 4.5 qts of oil; while, the 3.5L MDX takes 5.7 qts of engine oil. Some hybrid owners (including me) found out the tech wasn't paying attention and put 5.7 qts. The hybrid is such a low volume vehicle, looks 99% like a 3.5L MDX, and very trouble free to be seen on a regular basis in the dealership's shop.
when I went to the dealership to get fluid for the hybrid transmission and TMU and asked for DW1 fluid the parts guy was adimant that NO NO NO, you MUST use the DW whatever that the non hybrid uses. I only hope the service dept would know better. Anyway I change the fluids myself. The fluids are quite different and the wrong fluid in the DCT may be bad news!!! Course that was the same parts guy that said I need to buy 6 qts of oil for the hybrid.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:33 AM
mrgold35

when I went to the dealership to get fluid for the hybrid transmission and TMU and asked for DW1 fluid the parts guy was adimant that NO NO NO, you MUST use the DW whatever that the non hybrid uses. I only hope the service dept would know better. Anyway I change the fluids myself. The fluids are quite different and the wrong fluid in the DCT may be bad news!!! Course that was the same parts guy that said I need to buy 6 qts of oil for the hybrid.
Scary to think the Acura dealership could ruin your hybrid! I was out of town for a few months in San Antonio when I had the engine oil overfill (Gunn Acura). My local dealership in NM does a better job of knowing the maintenance differences between models. I still feel a little more comfortable taking my fluids I purchased to them when I need M.I.D. service (usually around 20%-80% cheaper buying my own fluids/filters compared to what the dealership charges for them).
Old 04-27-2021, 06:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't know that motors used fluid as well.

I am not an owner yet but I am planning to get a hybrid at end of this year when my current lease on Kia Stinger expires.
bmoua15 (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:35 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ruturaj
I didn't know that motors used fluid as well.

I am not an owner yet but I am planning to get a hybrid at end of this year when my current lease on Kia Stinger expires.
You can download the owner's manual pdf from the Acura's owner's site to look through the tech, features, and maint fluid requirements. The hybrid is such a low volume vehicle and it looks 99% like a 3.5L MDX at first glance (small hybrid badges on front fenders, blue "SH" for sh-awd emblem on rear, and one 8" orange high voltage EV cable under the hood located between engine block and air cleaner). The 18-20 MDX hybrids didn't have any significant changes between model years (Carplay was added for those model years). The 17 MDX hybrid had the older info-tainment graphics like the 14-16 MDXs on the lower touchscreen, no carplay, and less chrome/wood accents around the cabin.

The MDX hybrids are getting harder to find with lower mileage. A lot of folks are holding on to them because there isn't a +22 MDX hybrid (yet). Used car prices are crazy right now and they may or may not get back to normal by this winter. You might have to look in a 1/2 to 1 day drive of your location to find one in the color combo, tech level, and mileage you want by this fall/winter.
ruturaj (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 02:45 PM
Instructor

I'm thinking what should have been done by 30,000 miles:
- 3 oil and oil filter changes
- 2 or 3 tire rotations/balance
- new cabin filter
- new engine air filter
- rear TMU change at 15,000 miles
- 7DCT fluid change
- 7DCT transmission odd gear TSB #20-039 update

I agree with you about changing out the 7DCT and TMU fluids just to start fresh. The only PITA is you won't be able to reset the M.I.D. maint code for the 7DCT or TMU if it didn't pop up in the dash. The Acura tech can reset individual codes. You might do your 7DCT/TMU fluid changes at the same time you need to do the TSB #20-039 to reset those individual codes?
My memory may be fading, but I seem to recall that Acura recomended changing the TMU fluid and maybe the DCT fluid at 15K miles either initally or if it was "severe service" which they defined at lots of city stop and go driving or mountain driving. But looking through my pdf manuals, darn if I could find that.
Anyway for whatever reason (based on the manual or that I'm often anal on maintenance) I changed both at 15K miles.l Normal service is 30K miles on both IIRC.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:26 PM
mrgold35

I haven't seen the 7DCT service yet on my MDX with 22,000 miles. Only the TMU for both at around 15,000 miles. My previous Acura's seemed to ask for a transmission service at 30,000 miles. I kinda wonder about severe service for a hybrid? Both my RLX/MDX hybrid's actually use EV mode a lot in severe city stop/go traffic (all I've been doing since Mar/20). So far, the M.I.D. hasn't changed the service intervals from my 3 previous Acura (06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX).
Old 04-29-2021, 03:29 AM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Did my dct fluid change @ 50k and the fluid was clean as a whistle. Ive been sticking to that same interval for all my cars. You'll need a hand pump and a friend who knows what he's doing to complete the process. Dealers and independent shops just charge to much so do it yourself.
The following 2 users liked this post by bmoua15:
Larry_RLXHB14 (09-19-2023), ruturaj (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 10:04 PM
10th Gear

You can download the owner's manual pdf from the Acura's owner's site to look through the tech, features, and maint fluid requirements. The hybrid is such a low volume vehicle and it looks 99% like a 3.5L MDX at first glance (small hybrid badges on front fenders, blue "SH" for sh-awd emblem on rear, and one 8" orange high voltage EV cable under the hood located between engine block and air cleaner). The 18-20 MDX hybrids didn't have any significant changes between model years (Carplay was added for those model years). The 17 MDX hybrid had the older info-tainment graphics like the 14-16 MDXs on the lower touchscreen, no carplay, and less chrome/wood accents around the cabin.

The MDX hybrids are getting harder to find with lower mileage. A lot of folks are holding on to them because there isn't a +22 MDX hybrid (yet). Used car prices are crazy right now and they may or may not get back to normal by this winter. You might have to look in a 1/2 to 1 day drive of your location to find one in the color combo, tech level, and mileage you want by this fall/winter.
Thank you. I will download the manual. For me hybrid MDX is technical marvel (also their mechanical SH-AWD), always happy to learn about it. I also watched the video on 7 speed transmission, I am not the mechanically inclined but it was pretty interesting.

I worry about not finding one when I time comes. I would sure fly anywhere in country for one though. I would be looking for 2018-2020 model year.
mrgold35 (04-30-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Thank you. I will download the manual. For me hybrid MDX is technical marvel (also their mechanical SH-AWD), always happy to learn about it. I also watched the video on 7 speed transmission, I am not the mechanically inclined but it was pretty interesting.

I worry about not finding one when I time comes. I would sure fly anywhere in country for one though. I would be looking for 2018-2020 model year.
When we were looking in Feb2020 there were some hybrid tech models around but the Advance model, which we wanted were very scarce. We were able to get one, but not our first or second color choice. And at least around here used ones on the dealers lots are few and far between and disapear fast. So, if your looking for one, I'd plan on allowing a fair amount of time, especially if you want the advance model.
ruturaj (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 10:52 PM
10th Gear

When we were looking in Feb2020 there were some hybrid tech models around but the Advance model, which we wanted were very scarce. We were able to get one, but not our first or second color choice. And at least around here used ones on the dealers lots are few and far between and disapear fast. So, if your looking for one, I'd plan on allowing a fair amount of time, especially if you want the advance model.
Thanks. I would be looking for tech actually, that middle rear seat would be nice to have if I have a baby, I assume 2 adults would fit one on each side. I have don't have fixed exterior color as well but for interior I would prefer anything but black. My leg is broken right now, and I am supposed to recover around October, I will start looking from then till December.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Thanks. I would be looking for tech actually, that middle rear seat would be nice to have if I have a baby, I assume 2 adults would fit one on each side. I have don't have fixed exterior color as well but for interior I would prefer anything but black. My leg is broken right now, and I am supposed to recover around October, I will start looking from then till December.
based on our experience you will have a much easier time finding a hybrid tech version than hybrid advance.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bmoua15
Did my dct fluid change @ 50k and the fluid was clean as a whistle. Ive been sticking to that same interval for all my cars. You'll need a hand pump and a friend who knows what he's doing to complete the process. Dealers and independent shops just charge to much so do it yourself.
Going to tackle changing the fluids this weekend. When you say you need a friend who knows what he’s doing to complete the process, is it because of putting it into diagnostic mode after changing the fluid?
Old 05-13-2021, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Going to tackle changing the fluids this weekend. When you say you need a friend who knows what he’s doing to complete the process, is it because of putting it into diagnostic mode after changing the fluid?
well, I was able to easily do it myself. However, in order to do it correctly you will need to make sure the car stays level. that means either
a) crawling under the car on the ground and working
b) lifting each end and supporting by jackstands or front on ramps and then lifting the back
c) raising the car on a lift.

Luckily I have a ranger quickjack that lets me lift vehicles to 24". So it was easy peasy to do it myself. And going to diagnostic mode is easy as well.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:43 PM
Cruisin'

well, I was able to easily do it myself. However, in order to do it correctly you will need to make sure the car stays level. that means either
a) crawling under the car on the ground and working
b) lifting each end and supporting by jackstands or front on ramps and then lifting the back
c) raising the car on a lift.

Luckily I have a ranger quickjack that lets me lift vehicles to 24". So it was easy peasy to do it myself. And going to diagnostic mode is easy as well.
thank you.