Do I need to rebalance tires or something?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Do I need to rebalance tires or something?

Not sure what the heck is going on with my MDX this year, considering it had been to the shop for 16 times, but now she's giving me the symptoms of needing to be rebalanced again (possibly third time for these tires within 2000 miles). Do I need to get them rebalanced or is it something else that I am missing?
The following users liked this post:
Daniel2986 (11-17-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 09:22 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Do you feel the out of balance in the steering wheel, from the driver's seat, or more from the rear. I had a rear tire way out of balance after a tire fix trip from Acura to see my rear passenger head rest shaking/vibrating at hwy speeds. Ended up taking to Discount Tire for road force balance and that solved the issue. The best way to see if it is one tire out of balance issue is to do a rotation. Next best thing is a road force balance. The tech working on your MDX could also over tq the lugs with the impact wrench. It could be a tire issue being out of round, if that doesn't work and you have no issues with your suspension, rim damage, or lugs.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Sixteen times? Wow . . . .if that were me, it would now be someone else's MDX. It may not be the tires. Could be the wheel(s)? Loose lugs? Could be anything suspension related. Are you taking it to Acura for these issues? Are you able to get a second opinion? Heck, even if you have to take it to a Honda dealership. They can at least give you a diagnosis to see if they can find anything.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Do you feel the out of balance in the steering wheel, from the driver's seat, or more from the rear. I had a rear tire way out of balance after a tire fix trip from Acura to see my rear passenger head rest shaking/vibrating at hwy speeds. Ended up taking to Discount Tire for road force balance and that solved the issue. The best way to see if it is one tire out of balance issue is to do a rotation. Next best thing is a road force balance. The tech working on your MDX could also over tq the lugs with the impact wrench. It could be a tire issue being out of round, if that doesn't work and you have no issues with your suspension, rim damage, or lugs.
IICR the tires that the Acura tech was on were the Yokohama's and the only people that worked on the MDX with the current set of tires was Discount Tires.

Originally Posted by moose66
Sixteen times? Wow . . . .if that were me, it would now be someone else's MDX. It may not be the tires. Could be the wheel(s)? Loose lugs? Could be anything suspension related. Are you taking it to Acura for these issues? Are you able to get a second opinion? Heck, even if you have to take it to a Honda dealership. They can at least give you a diagnosis to see if they can find anything.
Yup, 16 times. I have been taking to 2 Acura dealers due to me being within the new car warranty still and living around Acura dealers that do half-%$# jobs. My Honda SA told me that Honda cannot do electrical diagnosis on the MDX. And I have just noticed this issue this morning.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Got my tires rebalanced last Thursday and now, again, they are misbalanced. Not sure what is causing this misbalancing. Should I go to another shop (Honda dealer) or have Acura take a look at the entire suspension to see what is causing the misbalance?
Old 11-16-2020, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to my world. LOL I know exactly how you feel. I have a 2019 MDX SH-AWD Tech (non-hybrid) and have experience the very same thing 9shimmy and pulling to one side)to the point where Acura rotated, turned the tires, and performed an alignment. In the end, Acura replaced the stock Continentals (due to a defect in the road force) to Michelin Primacy Tours and I still feel the shimmy once I get up to 50 mph. You can definitely feel it in the steering wheel. I was driving in Sport Mode and changed to Normal to see if the issue would correct itself. No such luck. I took it in a few weeks ago for an inspection before a road trip and the service manager drove it and said "yep, I feel it. I don't know what is causing it. When you bring it in for the next oil change, plan to leave it with me so we can try to pinpoint the problem." My oil life is till 60% so it's gonna be a little while, but this has been going on for about a year. I traded a 2018 Lexus RX 350 AWD because I hated the braking distance, acceleration hesitation, handling, and the seats were so dang uncomfortable (especially on long trips), but didn't have any of the issues I am experiencing with the MDX (I have been a loyal Honda/Acura customer for almost 20 years). I have already told my salesperson I want to trade out and go to the RDX ADV AWD. He's supposedly keeping an eye out for me. Please let us know what happens and I will do the same.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bamagirl77
Welcome to my world. LOL I know exactly how you feel. I have a 2019 MDX SH-AWD Tech (non-hybrid) and have experience the very same thing 9shimmy and pulling to one side)to the point where Acura rotated, turned the tires, and performed an alignment. In the end, Acura replaced the stock Continentals (due to a defect in the road force) to Michelin Primacy Tours and I still feel the shimmy once I get up to 50 mph. You can definitely feel it in the steering wheel. I was driving in Sport Mode and changed to Normal to see if the issue would correct itself. No such luck. I took it in a few weeks ago for an inspection before a road trip and the service manager drove it and said "yep, I feel it. I don't know what is causing it. When you bring it in for the next oil change, plan to leave it with me so we can try to pinpoint the problem." My oil life is till 60% so it's gonna be a little while, but this has been going on for about a year. I traded a 2018 Lexus RX 350 AWD because I hated the braking distance, acceleration hesitation, handling, and the seats were so dang uncomfortable (especially on long trips), but didn't have any of the issues I am experiencing with the MDX (I have been a loyal Honda/Acura customer for almost 20 years). I have already told my salesperson I want to trade out and go to the RDX ADV AWD. He's supposedly keeping an eye out for me. Please let us know what happens and I will do the same.
Discount Tires store manager said its not the tires issue and my local Acura dealership is soooooooooo dang stubborn. I am not sure what is causing my issue. Now I am calling every Honda and Acura dealership near me, left and right. I'm also at 60% oil life by the way. As of right now, I have to replace my front rotors as they are warped, and its pretty much on my to-do list for next OC. I am 100% not sure if warped rotors are even associated to this issue.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Got my tires rotated, and sure enough, I got both front struts that are leaking! Hopefully Acura will cover this under warranty since I'm at 45,310 miles on the odometer.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Help me understand . . . . .are you saying out of all the times you have taken your vehicle to the dealership, they never saw this? Assuming you took it to the dealership in the 16 times you said in the original thread starter. Seems a little strange no one would have noticed the leaks if the tires were ever removed for a thorough inspection to try to source your complaint.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Help me understand . . . . .are you saying out of all the times you have taken your vehicle to the dealership, they never saw this? Assuming you took it to the dealership in the 16 times you said in the original thread starter. Seems a little strange no one would have noticed the leaks if the tires were ever removed for a thorough inspection to try to source your complaint.
Pretty much, nail in the head. Last time I took it in, the tech constantly declined and didn't want to check the suspension, even at my request, and that SA said screw off since its "the tires issue", This whole process is a nightmare. And the attitudes these service advisors, like they can go to the devil's den, since the attitude I was given from them is how a business losses customers (I worked in the customer service industry, so this is pretty much prime example of horrible customer service). Bunch of stuck up people that works at this specific Acura dealership. And unfortunately its the only Acura dealership in my county that isn't more than 30 miles far from my house. Also, the service advisor that I got an appointment with for Wednesday morning, asked me harshly where or who in the world, told me that my MDX has leaking struts. Hopefully, Acura covers this under warranty, otherwise, I have to see if my guys who will be doing the air bag system setup for my MDX would also replace these struts while doing the bags.

I found out that I have leaking struts when I politely asked the guys at Discount Tires if I can take pictures of my suspension so I can deal with Acura head on and call on their BS. And, one of the dude's working on my MDX at Discount Tire told me his fiancé's CRV is exhibiting the same issue as me.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:23 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Time to find out who the Regional/District Service Manager is for your region. Reach out to that person, and have them start working the problem. Good service departments and good service managers do not run around customers like this.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NeoGeoH
Time to find out who the Regional/District Service Manager is for your region. Reach out to that person, and have them start working the problem. Good service departments and good service managers do not run around customers like this.
Trust me, I know good service departments. Its why I still go to my local Honda dealer to service my MDX, ever since we took our 05 Odyssey and 99 Accord there when we moved to Florida in mid 2014 from PA. And my SA over at Honda has more respect and knowledge than the Acura SAs. I am going to find out the price for how much they will charge to replace struts if Acura doesn't warranty them at all.

Also, would the struts from the Pilot/Odyssey be compatible for the MDX?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:03 AM
Instructor

I cannot express how much positive customer service my Honda dealership has grown since I started taking our cars there. They are going out of their way to help me out since that I mentioned how local Acura dealer lost me as a future repeating customer. Glad I know that the local Honda dealership that can take care of customers correctly, that includes sales, service and parts departments (although these are the top three money making departments, at least they don't s*#@ [ not sure if I made that PG rated ] on customers).
Old 11-17-2020, 08:55 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m having the same problem with my 2019 hybrid between 50 and 60 miles an hour I’m having a shimmy in my steering wheel and they replaced rims, tires, alignment, balancing, rotors and the shimmy is still present. Have they figured out what’s causing yours?
Old 11-17-2020, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Just talked with the Service manager of the dealership (ironically found his number on those Google Reviews, posted by the dealership). He promised me that they will replace the leaking struts under warranty.

Originally Posted by Daniel2986
I’m having the same problem with my 2019 hybrid between 50 and 60 miles an hour I’m having a shimmy in my steering wheel and they replaced rims, tires, alignment, balancing, rotors and the shimmy is still present. Have they figured out what’s causing yours?
Get your suspension checked out, that's what I have to suggest.
The following users liked this post:
jefferson88 (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Daniel2986
No, not yet. I am not yet due for an oil change. But, I will make these suggestions to the SM. He is actually the one who went to bat for me to the Regional Manager and was able to get the replacement tires approved at no charge. I will definitely keep you all posted.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Welp back to square 1. Struts are dry as heck according to all the techs and master tech and the service manager at the dealership. Freaking steering wheel shaking again at highway speeds. Acura and Discount pointing fingers at each other. Original Acura SA told me that the 2020 MDX tech wheels won't fit on my 17 MDX Tech, so swapping mine with a new MDX won't work at all according to him. Honda SA said wheels need additional weights, but his schedule is packed so he can't check my MDX. Discount told me there is no bent rims on my car.

I really need help here!
Old 11-18-2020, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NeoGeoH
This.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:41 PM
Instructor

This.
Any specific key words on Google should I try? or Just I should call up Acura and request the information for the FL (south east) region service manager?
Old 11-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Wonder if there's an internal break in the tire belt
Old 11-18-2020, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

This.
If you are dealing with a particular dealership, they should be able to provide you with the contact information for their regional reps. However, they may be reluctant to do so. You could also use the contact info located on the acura.com website to get to client relations: https://www.acura.com/contact-us

Just click the plus symbol in the contact details field. There you have phone, fax, mail, and even Twitter info where you can tell your story.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:42 PM
Instructor

If you are dealing with a particular dealership, they should be able to provide you with the contact information for their regional reps. However, they may be reluctant to do so. You could also use the contact info located on the acura.com website to get to client relations: https://www.acura.com/contact-us

Just click the plus symbol in the contact details field. There you have phone, fax, mail, and even Twitter info where you can tell your story.
They are already reluctant to even give me any documentation or paperwork or receipt of being there so I can give a copy to Discount Tires and Goodyear. I already somehow got my case escalated in Acura and Goodyear. I am going to Autonation, which is a pretty far and long drive on Saturday morning.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Just had the tire guy do a check on the tires. He did rebalanced them and rotated them too; plus, he also noticed that the tires and wheels were spinning perfect as expected. So not sure what is going on now until I get to AutoNation Acura on Saturday.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Hi again. I finally got in touch with my service manager and told him about my issues. I also told him I have read blogs where several other people have been experiencing the very same issues I am. He said that the blogs cannot be fact-checked and to not believe everything i read....lol Anyway, I am dropping it off the week of Christmas and he is going to keep it for a few days to see if they can pinpoint the problem. My oil life is still at 50%, but yesterday the shimmy was bad enough to make me consider trading my MDX for something else...How did your service visit go?
Old 12-04-2020, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Hi again. I finally got in touch with my service manager and told him about my issues. I also told him I have read blogs where several other people have been experiencing the very same issues I am. He said that the blogs cannot be fact-checked and to not believe everything i read....lol Anyway, I am dropping it off the week of Christmas and he is going to keep it for a few days to see if they can pinpoint the problem. My oil life is still at 50%, but yesterday the shimmy was bad enough to make me consider trading my MDX for something else...How did your service visit go?
Hopefully this time is the charm. I had Goodyear warranty the tires and so far its not showing up any issues but I did had a rear end, so maybe it might have fixed the issue for me (body shop was Acura dealer, so they literally checked every single part and component in their pre- repair and post repair scan). I'm 40% oil life, but it doesn't do with anything regarding the steering wheel at all. I am looking to refinish my rims as they have curb rash. As of right now, these third set of tires have 400 miles on them. Tuesday I should be able to drive 500 miles and see if they problem comes back up or not. It will help me determine that the previous set were defective.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:07 AM
Instructor

This issue came back for me. Not sure what is going on. I feel like this is a suspension issue rather than a tire issue. Which suspension part or component would cause this issue?
Old 01-12-2021, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Bent rims were my problem, Brought them to a repair shop and showed my how bad a few of them were bent. I have a 2014 MDX with blown front struts. It is very wobbly at higher speeds, the vibration is more likely coming from the wheels themselves.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:37 AM
Instructor

I need to go to another dealership. This dealership I went today is giving me a bunch of BS. While heading home, I noticed the issue persists even at 80-90 MPH.