Class action Acura Link

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 06:58 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Class action Acura Link

I am considering a class action suit against Acura for their failure to deal with the 3G issue. I still can't get a firm commitment from the local dealer what it will take to fix this issue. They just want to sell me a new car. Subaru has already given a courtesy upgrade to the people who use their system. Really tired of being treated as a 3rd class citizen by Acura. Think it will probably take a class action of MDX, RDX etc to solve this - we cannot buy a car and have the electronics failing because Acura fails to plan for it when they know it IS going to happen.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:16 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Here's the deal;
you're seasoned enough to know that "connected" devices will eventually have an EOL. (End of Life)
you've seen cellular networks from their infancy to now 5G.
each one of these generational networks have had their products(hardware) stop working when the new better and faster network comes out.

With that being said; I have found a fix.
you would need to purchase a newer telematics unit. then uninstall the old telematics unit from your car and install the new one.

Originally Posted by justnspace
here is the Technical Service Bulletin on how to upgrade from CDMA to LTE

https://www.mdxers.org/attachments/t...-16-pdf.87538/

and here is the 2018-2020 TLX Telematics unit

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-pa...it-39770tz3a61

so one would buy the 2018-2020 TLX Telematics unit for around $800 and then follow the TSB

as you can see it has a blue label.
part#

39770-TZ3-A61

Originally Posted by justnspace
according to the diagram;

and the parts list sub-category of "Cabin"

to me; the telematic unit can be found in the front of the car inside the cabin....
looks to be underneath the dash leaning towards the passenger side.

Now, I don't have a TLX, so I can't investigate further, but perhaps if someone were to poke around they will be able to find it.
Originally Posted by ethlar
Talking to my local dealer, they were somewhat confused and took a lot of digging on their part, they figured out that the part number to update my 2015 TLX Tech would be 39770-TZ3-A53. (seems to be the original part for the 2017 cars)

List price from Acura for that part would be $1,156.21. On a whim found the module on ebay for $120 and decided to give it a try.

as promised new one has a blue label

Glove box has to come out to get at the module, 2x 8mm head bolts hold it in on the bottom, 4 phillips head screws across the top (one hiding behind the passenger side silver trim

left bracket with 2x 10mm bolts holding the module in place, unbolt, unclip the 3 connectors, remove the 3x 7mm bolts holding the module to the bracket and swap, reassembly is the reverse

Power on the car, within about 15 min the green light should come on indicating AcuraLink connectivity has been restored. The car handles all the changeover to the new telematics module and associating it with your account.

When i powered up the car, the nav system downloaded traffic data almost instantly, updated routes from AcuraLink come quicker, remote commands from the app are significantly faster. The telematics module also controls your bluetooth for your phone, you will have to re-pair your phone to the car, reconfigure any speed dials and voice dial options. Music info seems to flow over to the car quicker, track skip requests go faster. By the time i had finished putting the glove box back in I had hit 12 min since startup and noticed the light was on.
​​​​​​​
The following 4 users liked this post by justnspace:
bmoua15 (10-12-2021), mrgold35 (10-11-2021), NVAKeith (10-12-2021), technocrat (03-27-2024)
Old 10-12-2021, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by merlin the wrench
I am considering a class action suit against Acura for their failure to deal with the 3G issue. I still can't get a firm commitment from the local dealer what it will take to fix this issue. They just want to sell me a new car. Subaru has already given a courtesy upgrade to the people who use their system. Really tired of being treated as a 3rd class citizen by Acura. Think it will probably take a class action of MDX, RDX etc to solve this - we cannot buy a car and have the electronics failing because Acura fails to plan for it when they know it IS going to happen.
IMHO it's a waste of time and effort. And add to the "class action" all the cell phone providers for not providing a "free" upgrade path on your old 3G only phone or analog phone or 1X phone. and your old NTSC TV that won't work on digital networks,

First of all you should have known when you got the car that the acuralink in that version was using a system that would be taken out of service at some time. Heck I even know that will happen on our Denali truck and the current Acuralink. 4G WILL go away at some time, maybe even in the next 5 years or so.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:13 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
My dealer upgraded my telematics unit for free. Obiviously Acura was only upgrading telematics on cars where the owner had an Acuralink subscription. So sadly, you are SOL.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
My dealer upgraded my telematics unit for free. Obiviously Acura was only upgrading telematics on cars where the owner had an Acuralink subscription. So sadly, you are SOL.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
What's the deal with the 2016 dates all over this letter that appears to make it over 5 year old? And we all know things are done a little differently in Canada when it comes to vehicles. This option may be non-existent here in the US.
The following users liked this post:
wsw (10-18-2022)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by moose66
What's the deal with the 2016 dates all over this letter that appears to make it over 5 year old? And we all know things are done a little differently in Canada when it comes to vehicles. This option may be non-existent here in the US.
2016 is when Acura dealt with this issue in Canada. Acura got on the problem early and made things right, free of charge.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
2016 is when Acura dealt with this issue in Canada. Acura got on the problem early and made things right, free of charge.
This makes no sense at all. The MDX is identical in both markets, so why are the US consumer market is on the screwed end of this deal?
Old 10-25-2021, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datechboss101
This makes no sense at all. The MDX is identical in both markets, so why are the US consumer market is on the screwed end of this deal?
First of all the models are NOT identical in both markets. There are features that are either different, or unique to Canadian or U.S. models. They are clearly outlined in the owners manual, go through it and you will find notes showing the differences.
Next there may be regulatory difference between the countries regarding long term support for Cell features that result in different levels of customer support.

And, 3G was discontinued in Canada years ago, it has held on longer in the U.S. although 3G coverage is spotty.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by MCRacer
First of all the models are NOT identical in both markets. There are features that are either different, or unique to Canadian or U.S. models. They are clearly outlined in the owners manual, go through it and you will find notes showing the differences.
Next there may be regulatory difference between the countries regarding long term support for Cell features that result in different levels of customer support.

And, 3G was discontinued in Canada years ago, it has held on longer in the U.S. although 3G coverage is spotty.
I did not know that difference is so significant. Honestly just thought that vehicles both in the US and Canadian markets are similar.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by datechboss101
I did not know that difference is so significant. Honestly just thought that vehicles both in the US and Canadian markets are similar.
There are differences in U.S. and Canadian cars from virtually all mfg. As an example the DRL requirements for Canadian vehicles is different than the U.S. They are required in canada and how the operate is different than many U.S. models Also some of the warning lamps operate different in the US vs canada along with different labels. Differences are real major. IIRC correctly, the U.S. advance (at least hybrid) models have a electrically heated lower windshield, while tech modes do not. But in canada all models may have this feature.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:50 AM
Racer

we decided to buy a Subaru because they have already shown good faith by upgrading the telematics units in their cars for Starlink customers. I don't see any Acura or Honda products in our future after the way Acura has handled these issues. When the telematics unit died on my 2006 RL, I paid quite a bit of money to try to get it fixed. Turned out nothing was wrong with it. Acura ended their contract with the service provider and didn't tell anyone. The provider kept billing us although the service no longer worked. In our opinion, Acura doesn't care one bit about their clients once they get your money.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:06 PM
Pro

we decided to buy a Subaru because they have already shown good faith by upgrading the telematics units in their cars for Starlink customers. I don't see any Acura or Honda products in our future after the way Acura has handled these issues. When the telematics unit died on my 2006 RL, I paid quite a bit of money to try to get it fixed. Turned out nothing was wrong with it. Acura ended their contract with the service provider and didn't tell anyone. The provider kept billing us although the service no longer worked. In our opinion, Acura doesn't care one bit about their clients once they get your money.
A good friend of mine is a Subaru tech. These engines have nothing but issues. Techs at Subaru are kept busy with warranty and out of warranty engine repairs.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:07 PM
Pro

Informative!! Thank you.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:10 AM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks to justnspace for the info on a newer telematics unit. I just purchased a 2017 RDX Advance, and since its affected by the 3G demise, I couldnt get an Acuralink subscription.

I followed the tips here, and purchased a 2018 telematics unit from a wrecked RDX. Had it installed by the dealer - we know it works because I can call the Acuralink hotline from the car.

here's where the story turns disappointing - Acuralink still wont give me a subscription because my VIN still shows the old telematics unit as the registered unit.

Even though the consumer notice suggests contacting the dealer to upgrade the unit - the dealers have no info on what to do after the unit is installed. its just mind blowing that a luxury brand put no plans in place to handle this transition.

Any suggestions on a remedy are welcome.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oakman13
Thanks to justnspace for the info on a newer telematics unit. I just purchased a 2017 RDX Advance, and since its affected by the 3G demise, I couldnt get an Acuralink subscription.

I followed the tips here, and purchased a 2018 telematics unit from a wrecked RDX. Had it installed by the dealer - we know it works because I can call the Acuralink hotline from the car.

here's where the story turns disappointing - Acuralink still wont give me a subscription because my VIN still shows the old telematics unit as the registered unit.

Even though the consumer notice suggests contacting the dealer to upgrade the unit - the dealers have no info on what to do after the unit is installed. its just mind blowing that a luxury brand put no plans in place to handle this transition.

Any suggestions on a remedy are welcome.
I'd go back to the dealer and have them update the VIN data. They should know how to do it, since if they replace many of the units in the car they have to update the VIN info.
Oakman13 (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 04:56 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
I'd go back to the dealer and have them update the VIN data. They should know how to do it, since if they replace many of the units in the car they have to update the VIN info.
Every legitimate VIN number is assigned to a real vehicle, and is associated with the respective owner's history and vehicle information. I don't think they can just create a factitious VIN out of thin air for anyone.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Every legitimate VIN number is assigned to a real vehicle, and is associated with the respective owner's history and vehicle information. I don't think they can just create a factitious VIN out of thin air for anyone.
I'm not saying create a fictious vin, just to update the vehicle data for that VIN number to show the new telematic unit SN installed. It's common practice on some parts of the vehicle to have to marry an unit to a specific VIN, that's what the dealer needs to do.

On my denali truck the Onstar unit needed replacing as a warranty issue, and the dealer had to marry the new onstar unit to the specific VIN number after installing it in the truck in order for it to function.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
I'm not saying create a fictious vin, just to update the vehicle data for that VIN number to show the new telematic unit SN installed. It's common practice on some parts of the vehicle to have to marry an unit to a specific VIN, that's what the dealer needs to do.

On my denali truck the Onstar unit needed replacing as a warranty issue, and the dealer had to marry the new onstar unit to the specific VIN number after installing it in the truck in order for it to function.
When I had the telematic unit replaced on my 2017 MDX (Nav issues), the VIN was coded by Acura before it hit the dealership - meaning that the unit is programmed prior to shipment to the dealer (at least that's what they told me when they ordered the part since it took a while to get). This was a few years back so I could be foggy in my recollection.....
Old 01-01-2022, 07:00 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jumped over from the RDX forum since this appears to be a common problem. We got a letter from AcuraLink dated 12-15-21 addressing AcuraLink and the loss of 3G network. Supposedly there is over the air (OTA) cell service update that has to be performed prior to 2-22-22.
If it is not performed by the date then an expensive trip to the dealer to have a new embedded cellular device installed is required.
We are US Acura owners but so far that update is not showing available for our car yet. Anyone else on the MDX side getting it or the letter?
Old 02-10-2022, 07:57 AM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Two months later and still no luck. I've had a case open with Acura In-Car support for over a month. Case manager clearly understands that a new telematics unit is installed - and they see all the relevant data on the service records. Seems like they cannot get their systems to talk to each other, as the Acura Link people cannot see the new telematics unit.
Yesterday my dealer tells me that he has another client with same situation, and Acura Tech does not know what to do. Dealers are powerless.
The dealers are not the issue here - it is Acura itself. Completely unprepared for this transition.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I got lucky. My 2017 MDX Hybrid advance is not impacted.

entered VIN on this site
https://acuralink.acura.com/#/compat...2017&model=MDX
Old 02-26-2022, 07:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by getakey
I got lucky. My 2017 MDX Hybrid advance is not impacted.

entered VIN on this site
https://acuralink.acura.com/#/compat...2017&model=MDX

Acura told me several months ago they would replace the CDMA unit no charge however the unit is back ordered until summer. My dealer has been unable to get the part.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:50 PM
Racer

the part is still backordered. Dealer said they are still waiting on some orders from 2020. This is April 2022. What's up with that?
Old 04-07-2022, 07:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
the part is still backordered. Dealer said they are still waiting on some orders from 2020. This is April 2022. What's up with that?
Have you tried recently to buy anything you can't actually put your hands on? This is the norm. Well over 2 years since the start of this supply issue for the obvious reason(s). It will be some time before things get anywhere near normal. If it isn't essential, be prepared to wait. If it is coming from Asia AND has a chip in it, be prepared to wait even longer!
JayhawkRX (05-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 07:26 PM
Racer

July 2022 and no parts available yet.Acura is the most f'd up company in the world. I call customer service - they assign a case manager who calls once a month and reads me the same thing the dealer sees - that the part is still back ordered. We pay for this crap treatment. It is like owning a parrot who has been trained to say, Back ordered - Squawk - Back ordered - Squawk - Back ordered
Old 09-14-2022, 04:43 PM
Racer

26 units came in I am told. I was #17 on the list and the dealer has the part. They are supposed to do the upgrade tomorrow. Hallelujah.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:38 PM
Racer

failed to work. They want the car back next week to troubleshoot. I am taking bets that Acura warehouse sent a CDMA unit as the upgrade when they should have sent the LTE unit if their present staff even know the difference.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:02 AM
Racer

they put in a 4LTE unit but it doesn't connect. Back in the shop. Acura covered it under the extended warranty but until it works, who knows what the final outcome will be.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:02 PM
Racer

New module was configured 12/15/2022. But, it still does not connect today 12/16/2022.. AcuraLink was able to renew the subscription this evening so it is connecting. Maps work now, the new subscription date shows correctly, the APP on my smart phone works, BUT the blue button and the red emergency button still time out when pressed. When the red one times out the attempt is then transferred to my smart phone which dials AcuraLink Emergency. No idea what is going on. Will post once it is resolved so maybe this will help someone else.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:06 PM
Racer

12/20/2022 It is fully functional. Acura covered it good will under the extended warranty. Thank you.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having this issue now. I purchased a CPO 2019 RDX over the summer. One of the things I was excited about was AcuraLink (in fact it was one of the features I wanted - remote start capabilities), they told me it would come with a free trial with purchase. After purchasing is when they realized the previous owner had not done the OTA update, and informed me it would need the new hardware. They have told me replacing it is not covered by my warranty (keep in mind, I just purchased this vehicle for 10s of thousands of dollars), yet they also never gave me a price on replacing it myself. Now that it is cold out I am seeing the need & want for AcuraLink more, and have taken this issue up with Acura Client Relations. At the end of the day, the dealership & Acura are in violation of the CPO contract by not providing the AcuraLink trial. AcuraLink itself should fall under the electronics, audio & navigational devices correct?

I want to know what it fell under for it to be covered by your warranty?
Old 01-15-2024, 09:53 PM
Racer

I have no idea what Acura is doing. A map update killed my Acuralink back in October and it has been a month since I opened a ticket on it. I thought maybe the update had not finished since we don't drive it much. They treat me with a condescending attitude, Can't get ahold of the person who handles my case, but they tell me that person has e-mailed me. The e-mail was a generic corporate boilplate e-mail, unsigned that said simply we are sorry it is taking so long (a month now since I opened the ticket.) If I cc someone higher up at Acura the receptionist calls me and says "sorry it is taking so long they are working on it." Lord knows how many times in life has someone said that and it goes no where. One post someone said it took 2 months before they fixed theirs. That said, if your contract specified a free trial, that is on them. See a consumer law attorney if you feel you are getting jerked around. The way the law reads, at least here in California, what you are orally told is part of the contract. If the car is financed, you can also call whomever the dealer put the financing thru and complain to them. They have liability as a holder in due course. I am not giving legal advice, just saying what I would do if it were me.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:12 PM
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So is the AcuraLink worth the hassle? And for the folks talking about abandoning Acura because of some stupid telematics and the 3g drop, LOLOL I own a Lexus and they are not breaking any barriers in technological advancements. Took them until 2010 to drop the cassette deck and add a aux jack to the RX 350, then 2 years into the new models to fix the cracking of the heated & cooled leathers seats. Plus this is my 2nd RX and both had to have wheel bearings replaced within 50K miles and one had to have a new oil cooler line after 60K. Anyone that ever owned a Subaru can tell you they are great, when they are running, the trick is to keep them running.
All cars have some issues, none are perfect. Something like Acuralink is a bonus but is it really worth it? I would rather have Apple CarPlay on the screen instead. But that came about in like the 2018 or 2019 model. If all goes well with this MDX I might upgrade to a newer model in a couple of years. For now, if the Acuralink is worth it I will upgrade it, if not, I'll live just fine without it.
I am just glad I got 26MPG on my trip this weekend with no pain, my Jeep was 16.2 highway (big tires and whatnot), the Lexus gets about 24 BUT, the seats are not as comfortable for my height and always give me a hip and knee pain on more than an 1 hour and half drive.