Apple car play/Android auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apple car play/Android auto

I saw an article last week that th '17 pilot will now come with Apple car play and android auto. Do you hunk this will be able to be added to existing models no problem. I have a '17 MDX, so I would think they share the same system. I have the car play on my $25k golf and it's great. Wish i had it in the MDX
Old 11-10-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
no. I believe its new hardware.
so, unless you move the brand new hardware over to your car...
Old 11-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
no. I believe its new hardware.
so, unless you move the brand new hardware over to your car...
Mai the '17 pilot is getting better features than the '17 MDX? That's a little screwed up. I would really think it's just software though. Can't see what hardware they would need based on what the current head unit is. It's capable of running apps.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by JTC05
Mai the '17 pilot is getting better features than the '17 MDX? That's a little screwed up. I would really think it's just software though. Can't see what hardware they would need based on what the current head unit is. It's capable of running apps.
Yes it's very unfortunate. Acura is not so generous on providing features on their infotainment system. The OS that the MDX runs on is probably different from the Pilot, and the company that provides it is charging for more.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:41 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,186 Posts
Looks like only the Acura NSX has Apple carplay. While Honda has it in the 16 Accord, 16 Civic and 17 Ridgeline/Pilot: LINK: CarPlay - Available Models - Apple

We might see it on the MMC TLX or MMC RLX? Most likely, we have to wait until the all new next Gen of Acuras hit the road in 2019/2020 before we see carplay.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
From my little bit of conversation with the head unit tech line last time, the guy said Honda/Acura didn't have any plans to add carplay/android auto to the current Acura head units and even if they did, they wouldn't make it backwards compatible. He said their efforts were focused on the new headunit which showed up on the Hondas first (but he wasn't sure if it was coming to Acuras because of the two screen vs one screen thing, so I take it he is just tech support rather than design) because he said that Honda caters to a younger age group who value technology more than the older drivers in Acuras. I told him it was odd to think that owners of Acuras wouldn't value earlier technology evolution when the luxury segment seems to hone in on that. The guy responded that he agreed but this is what Honda decided. So... *shrug*
Old 11-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neoshi
From my little bit of conversation with the head unit tech line last time, the guy said Honda/Acura didn't have any plans to add carplay/android auto to the current Acura head units and even if they did, they wouldn't make it backwards compatible. He said their efforts were focused on the new headunit which showed up on the Hondas first (but he wasn't sure if it was coming to Acuras because of the two screen vs one screen thing, so I take it he is just tech support rather than design) because he said that Honda caters to a younger age group who value technology more than the older drivers in Acuras. I told him it was odd to think that owners of Acuras wouldn't value earlier technology evolution when the luxury segment seems to hone in on that. The guy responded that he agreed but this is what Honda decided. So... *shrug*
It probably tells that Honda doesn't value the Acura brand as much as its own brand. On the other hand, I think the operating system in Acura is different and so it's probably not easy to just add carplay/android I believe. The Hondas that have carplay/android have a completely different system from before. Acura has to either redevelop the Acura system or port the Honda system to Acura. However, it seems they want to seperate them and the tech guy is right about the dual screens setup. I am sure Acura will do something but it's matter of time, resource and funding. Honda sales were slipping and so they put the money on Honda. You can see they have redesigned many Honda models.

Acura has just announced their future cockpit concept. For sure they will have it: Acura Precision Cockpit Previews Next-Generation Interior and Technology Direction - Acura News
Old 11-16-2016, 10:03 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by kareshi
It probably tells that Honda doesn't value the Acura brand as much as its own brand. On the other hand, I think the operating system in Acura is different and so it's probably not easy to just add carplay/android I believe. The Hondas that have carplay/android have a completely different system from before. Acura has to either redevelop the Acura system or port the Honda system to Acura. However, it seems they want to seperate them and the tech guy is right about the dual screens setup. I am sure Acura will do something but it's matter of time, resource and funding. Honda sales were slipping and so they put the money on Honda. You can see they have redesigned many Honda models.

Acura has just announced their future cockpit concept. For sure they will have it: Acura Precision Cockpit Previews Next-Generation Interior and Technology Direction - Acura News
Yeah I saw that. I found it hilarious/interesting that Ikeda mentioned that the MDX and RDX are top SUVs for folks under 35, which hopefully means they will be doing something about it soon since the old leadership didn't understand their segment at all. The new system is Android based and looks good. I'm looking forward to it, but hope Acura works on the QC too. Looks like AWP is being updated next year too with Traffic Jam Assist.

Last edited by neoshi; 11-16-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:14 AM
Racer

Yeah I saw that. I found it hilarious/interesting that Ikeda mentioned that the MDX and RDX are top SUVs for folks under 35, which hopefully means they will be doing something about it soon since the old leadership didn't understand their segment at all. The new system is Android based and looks good. I'm looking forward to it, but hope Acura works on the QC too. Looks like AWP is being updated next year too with Traffic Jam Assist.
They say it will be coming in the next few years, so it will be a while. It may be the next MDX or TLX redesign that they will be bringing this in. On the other hand, the MDX look will be seen on other Acura models in 2017. Traffic Jam Assist is like an enhanced version of LSF I believe. It's still yet to see how well it will perform as traffic jam is a very trick situation, maybe that's why they call it "assist" as it's not guaranteed.

I think we all looking forward to the new infotainment system
Old 11-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Instructor

I had an Uber last week that was an accord. It had two screens and looked similar to the MDX. So I'm not sure what the two screen vs. one screen thing is that he is talking about