Advice needed: Differential repair, replace twin motor unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 03:07 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed: Differential repair, replace twin motor unit

This year really needs to be over asap.

My 7-week old hybrid advance was damaged over the weekend. It was night time on a dark road, city road. I tried to swerve but couldn't fast enough. Ran over a big chunk of rock or cement on the road, it was at least 12" big and it hit the undercarriage. I noticed fluids leaking on Saturday while out of town. Brought it in to the service department of a nearby Acura dealership Monday when i got back to Austin. Came back with this report:
1) Differential - Repair/replace twin motor unit (rear differential assembly) and all bolts and atf to fill.
2) Perform air bleed and rotor position calibration after installation of new twin motor
3) Exhaust: Replace exhaust pipe B with new gaskets.
A grand total of $13,665.11 after tax. The twin motor itself is $11866.08

Statefarm is sending an appraiser out to Acura shop to do their own estimate. They told me that this Acura shop is not one of their shops where they do their usual business. I might have to go to one of the insurance shops. The Acura service advisor assured me that they will work with this appraiser to be able to have a certified tech work on my car with OEM parts. I really don't know much about these things. Please advise, give pointers anything to help with this process....how to go get the best service out of this situation...how to navigate through the insurance maze....what should iI ask....what should I look for.

Is it ok to have one of the insurance shops work on this?

I'm just devastated as this is new with only 2400 miles on it. I only have had it since Oct 17. I was planning on keeping this care for more than 5 years. My head is hurting thinking about this. Bright side, no one was hurt and Statefarm is accepting the claim, just don't know how much they will pay or if I'll be able to have Acura work on this.

I think the 1st photo is the damage to the differential, 2nd is the exhaust.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I wouldn't worry. The insurance company will work with your dealer to fix your MDX. They cannot tell you where to get it repaired.
The following users liked this post:
wallyo (12-13-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
Dang that sucks! Reminds me of my misfortunes with a couple of my cars in the past. Some dumb-ass threw a wrench on freeway, hit my 350Z hood at 80MPH! I never got around to repairing the hood, just traded it in a week later. Same thing happened to brand new BMW, debris hit windshield caused it to crack, $745 dent in my wallet. I'd have dealer do the repairs using OEM parts. Insurance companies cannot dictate where repairs need to be done. That's a major claim, your premiums will go up for sure next 3 years. Good luck!

Just had a thought: if you were on public road when you hit that big rock, you may be able to file a claim with the City. They are responsible for safety and maintenance of the roads. Might be tough to proof your case though. Did you take pictures at accident site and of the rock? Any identifiable street names?

Last edited by jdpdata; 12-08-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
As this is purely a mechanical repair and not a body repair I would totally go with getting it fixed at a dealer.

One question I would have for the service department and ask to have printed on the receipt is the warranty for the replacement motor/differential assembly...will it fall under the original new vehicle powertrain/hybrid warranty or be limited to the replacement part warranty (3/36?)? That may be a consideration for you in how long you keep the car and in your negotiation with the insurance company.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
in many states insurance companies cannot dictate what shop does work, nor do they require more than one estimate. Take it to whomever you feel will do the best work.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:16 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by rka4570
I wouldn't worry. The insurance company will work with your dealer to fix your MDX. They cannot tell you where to get it repaired.
Yes, that's what I'm hoping that their estimate will come in as the same as the dealer's so there wouldn't be any additional out-of-pocket beside my deductible. Thanks for your input rka4570.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:20 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MCRacer
in many states insurance companies cannot dictate what shop does work, nor do they require more than one estimate. Take it to whomever you feel will do the best work.
I really don't know who would be best at this but it appears the dealership would be the place for this since it's a guarantee they will use OEM parts? Thank you MCRacer.

Last edited by srri; 12-09-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by NVAKeith
As this is purely a mechanical repair and not a body repair I would totally go with getting it fixed at a dealer.

One question I would have for the service department and ask to have printed on the receipt is the warranty for the replacement motor/differential assembly...will it fall under the original new vehicle powertrain/hybrid warranty or be limited to the replacement part warranty (3/36?)? That may be a consideration for you in how long you keep the car and in your negotiation with the insurance company.
Great recommendation on the warranty and to use that as a bargaining tool with the insurance company. Really appreciate your help.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:02 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Dang that sucks! Reminds me of my misfortunes with a couple of my cars in the past. Some dumb-ass threw a wrench on freeway, hit my 350Z hood at 80MPH! I never got around to repairing the hood, just traded it in a week later. Same thing happened to brand new BMW, debris hit windshield caused it to crack, $745 dent in my wallet. I'd have dealer do the repairs using OEM parts. Insurance companies cannot dictate where repairs need to be done. That's a major claim, your premiums will go up for sure next 3 years. Good luck!

Just had a thought: if you were on public road when you hit that big rock, you may be able to file a claim with the City. They are responsible for safety and maintenance of the roads. Might be tough to proof your case though. Did you take pictures at accident site and of the rock? Any identifiable street names?
Sucks big time. Gosh 3 years! I was expecting a increase just didn't know how long. A rock on hit my X3 windshield on I-10 west of Houston/Katy where there's major construction going on. A pick up truck was far ahead of me (at least 20 car lengths) but that rock sure bounced a good distance back. Cracked the X3 windshield too. I sold that X3 for this new MDX. I certainly have luck with all sorts of rocks this year.

No photos. We were on our way out of town to an important soccer tournament for my son and his coach was expecting him for a pre-tournament meeting and all I thought was to make it there for the meeting. This was in a high tech corridor in our city on a major road and it's a high speed road so I didn't even think about stopping. I believe it was a limestone used for exteriors in home/building construction that dropped from a truck - would the city be responsible for something dropped from a truck?

Thanks for your suggestions, jdpdata!
Old 12-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
Wow, you got incredibly horrible luck this year LOL. I think you're SOL if that rock was dropped from a construction truck not related to the city. If you don't have any pictures/videos or proof where that rock came from, I doubt you'll have a case with claims against the city. Hope repairs goes well.