10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How wide can we go?

I am considering new wheels but not sure how much space we have. Criteria:

Keep all tire the same size for rotation purposes
17 inch diameter, stock tire height 25.5 inches
Wheels pushed out to fenders but NOT beyond
No rubbing inside or while turning

How wide can I go? 17X9? 9.5? 255s? 265s? or only 245s?

What backspacing will keep the widest rim possible inside the fender with no rubbing suspension, etc?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:37 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
i'm interested in this info as well!
Old 08-28-2010, 02:53 AM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm in the process of finding out with 18x10 offset +25 265/40/18 people are telling me I can't go that wide but we will find out after I get my tein ss coilovers..
Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uhh... really you want a wide wheel but 17" and keeping the same size tires all around? Try again. You can maybe push a 9 in the front and you can get a 10 in the rear but it will involve poke and stretched tires. If your that worried about tire rotation I would suggest you just save your money and don't buy new wheels.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
what's wrong with wanting the same size tires and wheels all around so you can rotate them? there's no point in having a staggered setup on FWD cars anyway.

to the OP, unfortunately, this is going to be a trial an error process unless someone does it first. if i were you, i wouldn't think too much about maxing out the width, but finding the perfect offset to push it out as close to the fenders w/o ruining them. we know that the v6s have 18x8 wheels, so i'm thinking a 9" wide wheel is going to be doable.

as for the tire size to put on them, use this tool to figure out what you need - http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 08-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Instructor

the issue is that you will never get flush front and rear without doing a staggered set up, whether is be staggered offsets or widths.

245/35/19 on an ET45 19x8" wheel sits flush in the front but about 1" tucked in the rear.

it seems his requests will never match the look he desires.

also keeping 17's is just downright stupid, 17's are way too small for our car. 18's is the lowest I would go on aftermarket wheels. if your buying aftermarket the price difference from 17-8 isnt all that much for the amount of difference it will do on the looks.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Rev Run
Uhh... really you want a wide wheel but 17" and keeping the same size tires all around? Try again. You can maybe push a 9 in the front and you can get a 10 in the rear but it will involve poke and stretched tires. If your that worried about tire rotation I would suggest you just save your money and don't buy new wheels.
the issue is that you will never get flush front and rear without doing a staggered set up, whether is be staggered offsets or widths.

245/35/19 on an ET45 19x8" wheel sits flush in the front but about 1" tucked in the rear.

also keeping 17's is just downright stupid, 17's are way too small for our car. 18's is the lowest I would go on aftermarket wheels. if your buying aftermarket the price difference from 17-8 isnt all that much for the amount of difference it will do on the looks.
Opinion fest! Wow, thank god we are all different otherwise, we'd all be driving your car and then what fun would anything be?

What makes you think you know the "look" I "desire?" I don't desire any particular look. I am simply asking which wheels will fit, the same all around. If the front is the limiting factor, guess what, the front will determine the size for all four wheels, just like it does for the stock config.

I am interested in keeping them as light as possible, I don't care about looks/diameter/handling. The TSX isn't exactly a "performance car," lol. And, if you will read my post, I don't want to keep stock size tires, I said stock height. In fact, I specifically mentioned different widths, as stock width is 225.

Neither of your posts do not answer my question but you did let me know how you "feel." Neato.

Thanks for the "input" but I am looking for facts, and the best post here was the simple statement that no one has done it yet. While you may know an 8 inch rim at 45mm sits just inside the front fender, you said nothing about the inside clearances.

Try again. This time with less emotions and opinions and more facts. If you don't know, say so. Don't cover it up with your aesthetic opinions.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 08-30-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Front you can fit 9" +30 offset, rear you can fit 10" +30 offset

wider with the same offset, you will prob rub. you can lower the offset and go higher width, but prob modifying your fenders will be needed
Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ImpressInk

wider with the same offset, you will prob rub. you can lower the offset and go higher width, but prob modifying your fenders will be needed
perfect, thanks for the info!

now I wonder if there are pics out there of this.... :-)
Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ImpressInk

Rim width is largely academic as it's the width of the tyre and the offset of the wheel which will determine clearance
Old 09-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I am interested in keeping them as light as possible, I don't care about looks/diameter/handling. The TSX isn't exactly a "performance car,"
Why are you interested in maintaining a low weight if you aren't concerned about handling?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Instructor

You're right, identical wheels/tyres all round will result in unequal gaps.

The simple answer is to find the right wheel/tyre/offset set-up for the front and then replicate it on the rear but with the addition of suitable spacers.

As for a definitive size, I think there are too many variables to be precise. Tyre manufacturers products vary enormously in width & diameter, even with the same nominal size. Plus, Honda/Acuras production tolerances mean that a set-up which clears on my car may wheel rub on someone else's.

A few hours spent swapping tyres and wheels in a friendly tyre shop will provide the most accurate answer to the posters original question.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

245-40-19 with ET45 19x8 wheel sits much better than a 35 series would, here is mine:

Do what you want, but I think my setup is about as good as you are going to get for this car while keeping it looking factory and conservative.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Opinion fest! Wow, thank god we are all different otherwise, we'd all be driving your car and then what fun would anything be?

What makes you think you know the "look" I "desire?" I don't desire any particular look. I am simply asking which wheels will fit, the same all around. If the front is the limiting factor, guess what, the front will determine the size for all four wheels, just like it does for the stock config.

I am interested in keeping them as light as possible, I don't care about looks/diameter/handling. The TSX isn't exactly a "performance car," lol. And, if you will read my post, I don't want to keep stock size tires, I said stock height. In fact, I specifically mentioned different widths, as stock width is 225.

Neither of your posts do not answer my question but you did let me know how you "feel." Neato.

Thanks for the "input" but I am looking for facts, and the best post here was the simple statement that no one has done it yet. While you may know an 8 inch rim at 45mm sits just inside the front fender, you said nothing about the inside clearances.

Try again. This time with less emotions and opinions and more facts. If you don't know, say so. Don't cover it up with your aesthetic opinions.
Wow, you are ridiculous. Everything I stated should help you out for what you desire my man... 19x8 et45 sits flush up front.. so if you knew ANYTHING about wheels you would then know that (XX)x9 et 52 would sit flush up front (depending on tire size and back clearance).. etc. By the looks of what you were saying you wanted the "flush" look all around to fill out the big fenders. YOU are the one that needs to calm down when all I was doing was helping you out.

Every 1" = 26mm. So if you get a wheel that is 9" rather then 7" you will add 26mm to each side then use the offset to figure out exactly where it will sit.

If your not keeping the stock size tires I will go back to my original statement and say why don't you look into 18" wheels, the price difference is so minimal and the looks would be so much better.

And no really our car's are not made for performance. Not once did I mention that, but yet you're asking for light wheels? lol.

Jokes on you bud.

Figure things out yourself.

Last edited by Rev Run; 09-06-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Instructor

believe me, I know all about offsets, one of the many cars I built:

Old 09-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Yea Higgs, there was alot of useful information posted in this thread and it hurts to see that you cannot find anything useful to take from it. If you feel you need a better answer or that nobody has legitimately answered your questions, then just say so. No need to get so worked up. Rev Run does know what he is talking about and Im sure if you restated your question or whatever he does have the knowledge to provide you with the exact info your looking for.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
what tire size would you guys recommend if i went with staggered wheel sizes such as 19x9 and 19x10 and 20x8.5 and 20x10?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rawesome
what tire size would you guys recommend if i went with staggered wheel sizes such as 19x9 and 19x10 and 20x8.5 and 20x10?
all depends on your offsets.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:34 AM
Cruisin'

Honestly, I am crazy lost with all this talk about offsets and #x#x# LOL...

Sorry, but i don't know much or anything about wheels, besides what i think looks good.

Can somebody give me a brief walk-thru on what everything means and what I really need to pay attention to if I am thinking of purchasing aftermarket wheels?

Thanks