Springy/Twang Rattle in Passanger Front Area

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Springy/Twang Rattle in Passanger Front Area

Hi guys,

Well, the honeymoon has to end at some point. Yep, I am 3 for 3 in terms of owning Hondas, albeit very reliable ones, that rattle straight from the factory. I recently noticed that I hear a springy, metallic, twangy sound coming from the front passenger area when I go over expansion joints or broken pavement at higher city speeds or highway speeds. It's more of the sharper bumps that cause the rattle/noise.

I at first thought it was the seatbelt height adjuster on the B pillar which has a spring. But my wife went for a ride and though it came from under the dash. i've tried to lightly tap on all the suspicious parts including the glove box but to no avail. I went the the dealer today to fix a slightly off center steering wheel and the dealer couldn't reproduce it since all the roads around there are freshly paved.

Has anyone here had the same issue? How was it resolved if you did have it?

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
I know it's not under the dash, but the only sound that might be springy, metallic, twangy that I can think of is the grab handle above. It's been known to make noises.

Another thing to check would be the window and the weather stripping. If you push on the glass there will be some play, and the glass rubbing against the rubber might be construed as twangy.

Those are some of the sources of sounds that I've experienced in my car. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Could be the passenger seat mechanism. Try stuffing a large piece of foam (or folded sock) between the passenger seat and the center console, so as to put some pressure on the side bolster of the seat. If this addresses the rattle, then it's the seat mechanism / frame.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
I know it's not under the dash, but the only sound that might be springy, metallic, twangy that I can think of is the grab handle above. It's been known to make noises.

Another thing to check would be the window and the weather stripping. If you push on the glass there will be some play, and the glass rubbing against the rubber might be construed as twangy.
MrO,

Thank you for you input. You are right about these 2 sources. I have both these issues as well. I've taped felt pads under both front grab handles and they are quiet now.

And I also have the glass rubbing issue when the front driver's window is all the way up. It's a squeaky sound. I was at the dealer and they lubed up the gasket and it seems better for now. But if I lightly push on the upper door panel near silver the door unlock latch, I can still get the sound to occur. But that is with me applying forces laterally vs a bump so I am fine if it stays quiet.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
Could be the passenger seat mechanism. Try stuffing a large piece of foam (or folded sock) between the passenger seat and the center console, so as to put some pressure on the side bolster of the seat. If this addresses the rattle, then it's the seat mechanism / frame.
Thanks, TSXV6Guy. That is a very interesting take on the issue. You are right. It is a metal wire frame. I will give that a try.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
ive started to hear a rattle...sounds like its coming from the center console somewhere i cant find it...
Old 07-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Now it seems it's coming from else where it's annoying as shit
Old 07-17-2012, 03:07 PM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Check the SUNGLASS holder!
Had a rattle that was bugging the sh!t outta me for a month.
Opened the sunglass holder, rattle gone.
Stuffed a microfiber towel in it until i took it to the dealer about a week ago, or drove with it open.
Dealer took the whole assembly off and reinstalled (didnt replace), and no more rattle now.

It was bugging the sh!t outta me like i said.:
Old 07-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Burning Brakes

it was by toll transponder on my windshield. one of the suction cups came off. i didnt see it since it was under my wide rearview mirror