Speakers getting blown out

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add me to the blown speaker list. Front Driver side is toast. I do not play my stereo loud! Perhaps a survey should be created for this to see which speakers are the most prone to blow?

My problem is I have to drive 2 hours to the nearest dealer to get it fixed. The dealer would not let me take it out, ship it to them and ship me the replacement. This is my 4th trip to the dealer! I knew the distance factor when I bought, the same as my Mazda 3s 5 years ago. I never had to make the drive on the Mazda. I would have thought the same for an Acura.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the problem with all tech models cuz I don't see any base models with this problem?
Where do you live? You should bought something closer to your home
Old 03-13-2009, 03:33 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by gonzospride
Hey i have a 2009 TSX and i have experianced the same problems. I wanted to let you guys know that yesterday my Acura dealer told me that Acura told the service shop to stop ordering new speakers. In about two weeks they are supposed to announce some sort of recall on the "unit". They believe that the speakers are not flawed but that the amplifier or something like that is the problem. I didnt ask a lot of questions because i had to get into rush hour traffic but they did say that they would call me as soon as this is offically announced. This dealer has been straight up with me thus far so i believe that this is what is going to happen. I didnt get the extended warranty and all of this is pissing me off. This hopefully should be fixed for all of us soon. Other than that at 11k miles, i still love the car.This is my second blown speaker.
Any update on this, it's been about a month and a half.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Instructor

My Blown driver side speaker that healed itself is acting up again. I really do not think it is the speakers. I think there is a problem with the amplifier/driver on these units. It goes in the shop in a week. Same track, same volume, it sounds like crap one day, then the next it is fine. . .???
Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 09TSXMN
My Blown driver side speaker that healed itself is acting up again. I really do not think it is the speakers. I think there is a problem with the amplifier/driver on these units. It goes in the shop in a week. Same track, same volume, it sounds like crap one day, then the next it is fine. . .???
My drivers side front and rear doors speakers were having this issue and got tired of going back to the dealer to put in yet another speaker that would probably have same problems. I decided to find an aftermarket speaker that would fit and sound decent. Infinity Reference 6020cs speakers did the trick with an adapter off of eBay. The clarity from the Infinity speaker is better for the mids but believe it or not the OEM (when working) actually had a better bass. The Infinity Reference 6022i (non-component speaker) will also fit.

If it is a problem with the amplifer, time will tell. I replaced my front and rear door 6 1/2 with Infinity Reference 6020cs (used mid woofer only) last week. If there is an amplifier issue I will expect to have this speakers to have the same issue. Haven't had any issue yet ....

The OEM speaker are encapsulated in a custom plastic housing. I ordered these speaker adapters to make them fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Old 03-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Instructor

^^^^Thanks for the info, it will be interesting to see how it plays out for you. How did you know what ohm value the OEM speakers were to match?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Instructor

^^^^Thanks for the info, it will be interesting to see how it plays out for you. How did you know what ohm value the OEM speakers were to match?

around 2.7Ohms

I used a multimeter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimeter
Old 03-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Remember I told you guys that my rear driver side door panel speaker was blown? Well check this out. My driver side door speaker is now BLOWN. Are the door panel speakers same for the front and back? It's the same left side. I don't know if they just moved the speaker to the front. But it's faint and its making the crackling noise and its very distorted. I've gone to the dealer quite a couple of times. I'm afraid they'll get annoyed but it's not my problem! I set the treble to -2, Bass at +1, center at 0, and sub at -1. So I don't know what the problem is.. This is the second time! grrr..
Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by march30th1988
Remember I told you guys that my rear driver side door panel speaker was blown? Well check this out. My driver side door speaker is now BLOWN. Are the door panel speakers same for the front and back? It's the same left side. I don't know if they just moved the speaker to the front. But it's faint and its making the crackling noise and its very distorted. I've gone to the dealer quite a couple of times. I'm afraid they'll get annoyed but it's not my problem! I set the treble to -2, Bass at +1, center at 0, and sub at -1. So I don't know what the problem is.. This is the second time! grrr..

All the 6 1/2 speakers are the same for all the doors. I have a hunch that the speakers are defective or there is a remote possiblity that the amp in the head unit is causing this to happen. I have had the same problem with both my front speakers and my drivers side rear. I decided to scrap the OEM stock speakers and get some aftermarket. So far so good ...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Racer

im at 10k miles and no blown speakers yet
Old 03-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This issue seems to have died down quite a bit on this forum. I'm wondering if it was only an issue with early build TSX's?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Instructor

I had my speaker replaced and asked to see the original. When I think of blown speakers, I think of the coil windings shorting out from over amperage. What is happening is the rubber membrane that connects the cone to the speaker frame is disintegrating. The membrane ripped all the way around! I asked if the new speaker looked any different and the reply was that it was not noticed. Will we have durability concerns on these speakers, after ongoing thermo cylces and sunlight (rear speaker shelf speakers), the membrane will become even more brittle?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I had my speaker replaced and asked to see the original. When I think of blown speakers, I think of the coil windings shorting out from over amperage. What is happening is the rubber membrane that connects the cone to the speaker frame is disintegrating. The membrane ripped all the way around! I asked if the new speaker looked any different and the reply was that it was not noticed. Will we have durability concerns on these speakers, after ongoing thermo cylces and sunlight (rear speaker shelf speakers), the membrane will become even more brittle?
Yup, this is why Panasonic speakers are not well known among aftermarket people. The bigger question is...does this problem also occur on TL ELS system?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:20 AM
Intermediate

Front Driver side speaker blown

09 TSX TECH - Front Driver side speaker blown, 10 0000 km on car. By the way im thinkin about replacing stock sub with a JL audio 8W3v3. Any suggestions on how i should go about doing this ? Can i just plug it in, does it need an extra amp?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Racer

I just took my car into a second dealership to get some speakers looked at. They said there is a known issue with a bad batch of speakers. They listened to my car and are ordering the replacements. We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

Add me to the list. My front passenger side speaker & tweeter were sounding very static just the past 2 weeks like it was receiving a bad am/fm signal even with the iPod connected. My car just passed the 4000 mile mark since I bought it back in December 08. Brought it to the dealer today and was told it was indeed the front passenger & tweeter speaker that needs to be replaced. They're ordering the parts since they're out of stock. We'll see what happens...
Old 04-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Advanced

Add me to the list. My Rear Left Passenger Door Speaker is distorting. I just got back from Los Gatos Acura, and they confirmed it bad and special ordered a new one to be installed at a later date.

I didn't notice it until around 7100 miles, but it probably went bad earlier.

I wish someone would list a part number for an excellent After Market, direct fit, speaker. Just in case another one goes bad in the future, at which point I would change all four door speakers to After Market. BTW, it appears to be normal for the rear door speaker to have less bass than the front door speaker.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmastbro
All the 6 1/2 speakers are the same for all the doors. I have a hunch that the speakers are defective or there is a remote possiblity that the amp in the head unit is causing this to happen. I have had the same problem with both my front speakers and my drivers side rear. I decided to scrap the OEM stock speakers and get some aftermarket. So far so good ...
Did the Aftermarket Speakers sound as good or better than the OEM (prior to the OEMs going bad, of course)?

What Brand and Model/Part Number did you have installed?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmastbro
My drivers side front and rear doors speakers were having this issue and got tired of going back to the dealer to put in yet another speaker that would probably have same problems. I decided to find an aftermarket speaker that would fit and sound decent. Infinity Reference 6020cs speakers did the trick with an adapter off of eBay. The clarity from the Infinity speaker is better for the mids but believe it or not the OEM (when working) actually had a better bass. The Infinity Reference 6022i (non-component speaker) will also fit.

If it is a problem with the amplifer, time will tell. I replaced my front and rear door 6 1/2 with Infinity Reference 6020cs (used mid woofer only) last week. If there is an amplifier issue I will expect to have this speakers to have the same issue. Haven't had any issue yet ....

The OEM speaker are encapsulated in a custom plastic housing. I ordered these speaker adapters to make them fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Sorry, but I didn't scroll up far enough to see that you already posted Brand and Model of your Aftermarket replacements.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Advanced

Pretty sure I'm on this list now, too. I have a very early build TSX (might have been #2 on the sign-in thread), about 13,000 miles on it. Noticed some static out of my driver's side tweeter today. Hadn't even read this thread yet, but I'm going to try to pay more attention. I assume no one has had any issues w/ warranty coverage? Is anyone paying for the replacements? I have a feeling the dealer is either (a) not going to know what I'm talking about and tell me they haven't heard of any issues, or (b) charge me for a blown speaker, saying it's my fault.

i'm with a few of you.. getting tired of all the "small" problems. my tally is rising.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:48 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Mine is at the dealer now for speaker replacements (supposedly they're upgraded, but who knows?) He ordered all of them & will replace the ones that are blown.

I'm also in for valet key thing & left rear door lock actuator because it sounds like someone is slaughtering a mouse every time I lock the doors with the remote.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Instructor

My father brought in my car for a 8000 service last week. I told him to address the speaker problem on the driver's side panel. Acura claims they placed a disk to check the speakers and said "all was going well." Well, I didn't believe that, well, because I'm the primary driver so I narrowed it back down to that speaker and let my mom listen to it, and for sure, the agreed it was blown out. I have reason to believe that they want me to wait until May (1 year anniversary of the car) and then charge me for the blown speaker. But I don't want to keep on going back. You ever get that feeling that you keep going back, they keep seeing your face, they think you're a hassle and just screw with your car in the background and you don't now what they do? That's how I feel. But I want my speaker fixed. My settings are at -1 treble, +1 bass, +2 subwoofer.. I'll be pissed if they don't believe me again and give me that "some songs come out like that" type of bullshit..
Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Instructor

ooh yeah.. that's my 2nd speaker...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by march30th1988
My father brought in my car for a 8000 service last week. I told him to address the speaker problem on the driver's side panel. Acura claims they placed a disk to check the speakers and said "all was going well." Well, I didn't believe that, well, because I'm the primary driver so I narrowed it back down to that speaker and let my mom listen to it, and for sure, the agreed it was blown out. I have reason to believe that they want me to wait until May (1 year anniversary of the car) and then charge me for the blown speaker. But I don't want to keep on going back. You ever get that feeling that you keep going back, they keep seeing your face, they think you're a hassle and just screw with your car in the background and you don't now what they do? That's how I feel. But I want my speaker fixed. My settings are at -1 treble, +1 bass, +2 subwoofer.. I'll be pissed if they don't believe me again and give me that "some songs come out like that" type of bullshit..

Your car has a 4 year warranty.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty

I'm also in for valet key thing & left rear door lock actuator because it sounds like someone is slaughtering a mouse every time I lock the doors with the remote.
Is the left rear door lock actuator part of a service recall or anything? Mine also make a loud noise when I lock my doors.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:07 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Drive1TSX
Is the left rear door lock actuator part of a service recall or anything? Mine also make a loud noise when I lock my doors.
Not a recall as far as I know, but I just found out from my service advisor that they are on backorder. I don't remember reading here or anywhere else about other complaints about it. Should we create another thread?

On a related note, the rear deck and rear door speakers were replaced on this trip.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
My right rear door speaker is now doing the same exact damn thing. As stated earlier, I've had one blown one replaced already (driver's side [left] front door).

I am not making a special trip for this, will continue to monitor closely and will bring it up when the oil needs changed. My dealership still needs to install my cargo net, so...they can have it for the day+ then and get everything done in one shot.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Intermediate

Speakers just came in, having the car brought in today. They're gonna give me a loaner for the day for me to use to work. Hopefully this will the first and last......
Old 04-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Hey guys. So I dropped not 1, but 2 messages to Acura of Serramonte, 3 including this other guy. I've received no calls back. One was through a voicemail, the other was a direct message from the operator there. The 2nd message was left yesterday concerning my speaker. Still, no call back. I think they are getting annoyed/mad about my car, my speakers. They said nothing is wrong but now it's really starting to be distorted, it's softer, and it RATTLES!!!! UGH!!! Should I bring this up to another dealer or do I have no choice but to stick with them? It's tough when I feel like they're faking it to be nice to me, get their 5 star review from me, then just ditch me when I got further problems. I really want to get this issue fixed. It'll only happen when I bring it in and manually show them. Then I can't help but think they'll just mess up my car for the future. I'm at lost for words, can someone address this or help me out?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Instructor

and they won't believe me, they have to "check" it out first...
Old 04-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jesus, a dealership experience like that would be enough to make me purchase a different name brand car altogether.

When I blew both my speakers the service manager simply ordered the speakers, called me when they came in and installed them. My front Aero bumper is slightly off colour so he ordered a new one for me and will install it free of charge when it arrives. All that said, I've been dealing with the same people for the past twelve years when they started doing all the non warranty service on my 97 Prelude.

Sorry to hear you seem to have an 'A' hole for a serive dept.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Advanced

haha yea. i got my front 2 speakers replaced. the 2 main ones. as well as the trunk recall. damn if i knew that acura was having this problem i wouldnt have bought the acura. would of gone with something else.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Picked up A polish metal Tech package this morning, took a drive with a DVD-A playing. Stopped for lunch, on the drive home my wife mentions that the system sounded distorted. Sure enough, the left rear door speaker is quacking like a duck I only have 13 miles on it!

Jeff
Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Racer

I took my car into on dealer and explained the problem. First dealer just said they'd change the speakers as they know of the problem. Well, they were dumb and replaced ones I didn't complain about (but claimed there was a problem). Ok...but they didn't fix the ones with the REAL problem. So I went to ANOTHER dealer instead of dealing with the first dealer's stupidity. I demo'd the problem with a particular song I had on the Ipod. They verified it and the guy said "easy enough to demonstrate"...verified it with the tech and ordered new speakers. They changed them and no problems since. He also said that Acura made a bad batch of speakers.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Instructor

uhh guys..... I'm a little confused here...

Today, when listening to music... My driver door speaker automatically fixed itself... no more rattlling.. no more soft bass, no more distorted noise... because I stated it was blown a little while back. INSTEAD! the problem is in my rear, right passenger door.. now i hear the crackling from that speaker!

help!! what do i do!? do i explain it to them? they make it seems like this shit doesnt happen!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ElkGroveJeffy
Speakers just came in, having the car brought in today. They're gonna give me a loaner for the day for me to use to work. Hopefully this will the first and last......
dude im from davis man.. maybe i can have it troubleshooted in elk grove instead of going back to the city?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ESHBG
My right rear door speaker is now doing the same exact damn thing. As stated earlier, I've had one blown one replaced already (driver's side [left] front door).

I am not making a special trip for this, will continue to monitor closely and will bring it up when the oil needs changed. My dealership still needs to install my cargo net, so...they can have it for the day+ then and get everything done in one shot.
Well it's official: I now have my SECOND blown speaker, the right rear door. I wasn't going to make a special trip for this to get fixed but now I think that I am going to, as I can't listen to my music w/o it sticking out to me. Plus the dealership still owes me my Advanced Cargo Net and installation, so...

Damn, this sucks!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
850 miles on my Tech, I listen to music fawking loud, no problems yet! :crosses fingers:
Old 05-14-2009, 03:27 AM
D

Taking my TSX in again later this morning. This is the third time the driver side speaker has gone bad. The passenger front and rear have also been replaced previously. (Each time I've had speakers replaced I have started lowering the volume, as others have said I really doubt it has to do with the volume setting.
I'm thinking that the speakers may just be weak and opening and closing the door so many times causes the speaker to get screwed up.

This is also the third time the molding on the the passenger side of the windshield has peeled off. Fun stuff! Love the car, but I'm getting sick of the little problems I've had with it for the 17,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Draconis77; 05-14-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Draconis77
Taking my TSX in again later this morning. This is the third time the driver side speaker has gone bad. The passenger front and rear have also been replaced previously. (Each time I've had speakers replaced I have started lowering the volume, as others have said I really doubt it has to do with the volume setting.
I'm thinking that the speakers may just be weak and opening and closing the door so many times causes the speaker to get screwed up.

This is also the third time the molding on the the passenger side of the windshield has peeled off. Fun stuff! Love the car, but I'm getting sick of the little problems I've had with it for the 17,000 miles on it.
Well this sucks: I now have my THIRD blown speaker! This time it's the right front [passenger side] door. For those keeping score, that is two on the same side (the one on the rear passenger door went also) and the one on the driver's side front door. UGH!

Quick Reply: Speakers getting blown out