Speakers getting blown out

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
My rear woofers are blown too, it's more obvious now that the fronts are replaced.

FWIW, I noticed after the replacement that the dealer defeated the Dolby PL blah blah in the Sound menu. If I try to adjust it, it won't allow me to toggle over to Dolby, it has a note out to the side that reads "Not available on this source" or something like that. I tried it on the OE DVD-A disc, the iPod or radio, etc.
Interesting. Maybe that was part of the cause and Acura is having the dealerships very sneakingly lock this out?

And can anyone tell me if the Base and the Tech both have speaker issues, or is this mostly a Tech thing?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Jimmy Hoffa was found in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
add me to the list of blown speaker & i have a tech-package
sucks how you think it might happen to you...but when it does! you start hating the equipment that comes with this package you pay for!!!
*it's my front passenger side speaker
Old 01-18-2009, 11:10 AM
There's a snake in

Im taking in my car this monday because of my front passenger door speaker. It sounds as if it may be blown out, sounding like the music is too loud, i cant really explain. My audio settings are only like +3 Bass, Treble, Subwoofer and i listen at around 10-15. When i used the balance sound option i put sound all the way to the left of car, sounds perfectly fine, then to the right, and i can hear it. Im sad
Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fritoLay
add me to the list of blown speaker & i have a tech-package
sucks how you think it might happen to you...but when it does! you start hating the equipment that comes with this package you pay for!!!
*it's my front passenger side speaker
Man, this all is REALLY bugging me! I am *just about* to pull the trigger on an '09 TSX and am leaning towards the Tech but between the blown speakers, the back up camera issues (many have reported that it doesn't come on all of the time) and the fact that I would like the Navi, but don't need the Navi...it seems like I should just save the $3000 and move on (or get another brand car altogether).
Old 01-18-2009, 04:03 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
My Dolby was ok today, I toggled it on & off, so, WTH? I guess it's ok. They had disconnected my battery during a 7500 mile service, maybe it did something then, but it's back on.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:30 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ESHBG
Man, this all is REALLY bugging me! I am *just about* to pull the trigger on an '09 TSX and am leaning towards the Tech but between the blown speakers, the back up camera issues (many have reported that it doesn't come on all of the time) and the fact that I would like the Navi, but don't need the Navi...it seems like I should just save the $3000 and move on (or get another brand car altogether).
I am in the same boat! I am a month or two tops from needing a replacement car, I really liked my first TSX, but these stories are scaring me a bit.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
5th Gear

Add another case to the list.

I have the new '09 TSX w/tech and at only 4000 miles I've recently noticed distorted sound, even at low levels, coming from both rear door speakers. It sounds like either a bad amplifier output, or blown speakers, but I need to investiate further. I'm sure it wasn't there when I bought the car, as the sound system was one of the reasons I went for it. It's also ironic that the 2 loaner cars I've had while the dealer was fixing a couple other issues on my car also had badly distorted sound, and I had assumed that an irresponsible borrower had blown the speakers. When I brought it up the the service guy, he said that they haven't seen any problems or service bulletins on the subject ... so far.

So, there's my 2 cents , now I'd love to see some change.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Even if you had brand new speakers installed at the dealer, after the detail dudes get finished blaring 50 cent for an hour at volume level 45, you're right back where you started.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:13 AM
5th Gear

Problem solved... for now....

Originally Posted by lasermel
I have the new '09 TSX w/tech and at only 4000 miles I've recently noticed distorted sound, even at low levels, coming from both rear door speakers. It sounds like either a bad amplifier output, or blown speakers, but I need to investiate further. I'm sure it wasn't there when I bought the car, as the sound system was one of the reasons I went for it. It's also ironic that the 2 loaner cars I've had while the dealer was fixing a couple other issues on my car also had badly distorted sound, and I had assumed that an irresponsible borrower had blown the speakers. When I brought it up the the service guy, he said that they haven't seen any problems or service bulletins on the subject ... so far.

So, there's my 2 cents , now I'd love to see some change.

Took the car in for warranty service and they ended up replacing both rear door speakers (more comforting than a bad amp). Scary, since I don't turn up the volume very high. I don't have any idea what might have happened to blow them... unless the shop techs had the speakers blaring from a previous visit on a different issue? Who knows.. it's fixed for now... and sounds great again.

Last edited by lasermel; 01-21-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wonder if the amp isn't popping or something when it powers down or up. Seems like a pretty endemic problem with the '09s so I would suspect there's some sort of defect lurking in there. I have trouble believing that the speakers are just of such low quality that they're falling apart after a short period of normal use. I have seen cheapy amps that leak voltage when they're shut off that will slowly push all the speakers way out without making any noise (because it's so slow). I wonder if there's not something like this happening here.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Instructor

I just had my left rear door panel replaced... they said they replaced a pair for me... it sounds much louder now.. HOWEVER... the rear door panel speakers in the back do seem a little more faint than all other speakers.. AND on top of that.. the subwoofer rattles on certain songs.. i think its the friggin DVD disk latched on to the top of the trunk that rattles... ergggg...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM
D

So I've had my driver side speaker replaced twice now and I've made sure to listen to music at a lower volume (even though I doubt that's the problem, since other people have had problems even when listening at low volumes). Today I noticed that the passenger side rear speaker is rattling now too. Hooray...
Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
5th Gear

It's amazing to me that this many people have had speaker problems. It's clearly a manufacturing defect of some kind - under powered voice coil (seems unlikely since the speakers go bad even at low volume) or bad glue on the cone around the spider that's vibrating loose or something. I didn't get to see the bad speakers when the dealer replaced mine, so it's hard to say what the deal is.
So far, I've had to have my XM unit replaced because the "Note" function didn't work, both rear door speakers, and the piece of trim that goes up the right side of the windshield because the snap-in clips became unglued. They're just "little" things in the grand scheme of things, and the car performs well from a vehicle standpoint, but the back and forth trips to the dealer become tiresome even if the service is "free".
Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

Hey i have a 2009 TSX and i have experianced the same problems. I wanted to let you guys know that yesterday my Acura dealer told me that Acura told the service shop to stop ordering new speakers. In about two weeks they are supposed to announce some sort of recall on the "unit". They believe that the speakers are not flawed but that the amplifier or something like that is the problem. I didnt ask a lot of questions because i had to get into rush hour traffic but they did say that they would call me as soon as this is offically announced. This dealer has been straight up with me thus far so i believe that this is what is going to happen. I didnt get the extended warranty and all of this is pissing me off. This hopefully should be fixed for all of us soon. Other than that at 11k miles, i still love the car.This is my second blown speaker.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Looks like my guess about the source of the problem may not have been very far off.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
wow, this car has a lot of problems so far.

yea, and I was thinking about upgrading my stock speakers.... which are fine
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by gonzospride
Hey i have a 2009 TSX and i have experianced the same problems. I wanted to let you guys know that yesterday my Acura dealer told me that Acura told the service shop to stop ordering new speakers. In about two weeks they are supposed to announce some sort of recall on the "unit". They believe that the speakers are not flawed but that the amplifier or something like that is the problem. I didnt ask a lot of questions because i had to get into rush hour traffic but they did say that they would call me as soon as this is offically announced. This dealer has been straight up with me thus far so i believe that this is what is going to happen. I didnt get the extended warranty and all of this is pissing me off. This hopefully should be fixed for all of us soon. Other than that at 11k miles, i still love the car.This is my second blown speaker.
This is promising news, thanks for posting it! I will be following eagerly to hear if there is a real solution or if this is more propaganda from a dealership.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
2nd Gear

Now the AC

Ironically after submitting the piece about the speakers i realised that my AC on the drivers side is not working today at all. I am going back to the dealer after work to see if it is a quick fix. Has anyone else had this problem? I am starting to get a little depressed because this is an Acura that shouldnt be having problems like its an Audi.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 PM
5th Gear

It will be interesting to hear what the final culprit turns out to be. LukeaTron might be on to something in his earlier post about a slow inaudible DC discharge thru the speakers upon power down/up... we'll wait and see....
Old 02-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Advanced

Well today I just blew my 2nd speaker in 3 months. I called the dealer today, and they told me they would order a new one and call me when it came in. Never said anything about there being a problem with them. First one was rear passenger door, this one is front passenger door. I have the tech package too. I'll see if they say anything else when I bring it in to get it fixed here.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RigaTony82
Well today I just blew my 2nd speaker in 3 months. I called the dealer today, and they told me they would order a new one and call me when it came in. Never said anything about there being a problem with them. First one was rear passenger door, this one is front passenger door. I have the tech package too. I'll see if they say anything else when I bring it in to get it fixed here.

My drivers side front speaker blew around 2000 miles. Now my passager front is also rattling really bad at 6000 and will need to be replaced...

I took apart my door panel last time and examined the speaker while it was playing is appears that the speakers plastic back casing is what was rattling.

I am really getting tired of wasting my time of making 2 appointments just to get my speaker replaced. (1 to examine it and 1 the get it installed).

After reading several people are having the same issue even after replacing the several speakers, it appears that there must be some kind of a manufactures defect in the speaker.

I have decided to replace them with aftermarket speakers and hopefully avoid having speakers blow ever couple of months even though it is under warranty.

I will be installing these next week ...

Polk Audio MM651

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/pr...s/6-1-2/mm651/

and need to get these speaker adapters

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Now, if I install these and get blown ... Acura needs to figure out what the heck is going on with the amp.

Hopefully everything fits and the sounds good ....

I will report my results ...

Last edited by rmastbro; 02-05-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RigaTony82
(delete my previous post)

My drivers side front speaker blew around 2000 miles. Now my passager front is also rattling really bad at 6000 and will need to be replaced...

I took apart my door panel last time and examined the speaker while it was playing is appears that the speakers plastic backet i what was rattling.

I am really getting tired of wasting my time of making 2 appointments just to get my speaker replaced. (1 to examine it and 1 the get it installed).

After reading several people are having the same issue even after replacing the several speakers, it appears that there must be some kind of a manufactures defect in the speaker.

I have decided to replace them with aftermarket speakers and hopefully avoid having speakers blow ever couple of months even though it is under warranty.

I will be installing these next week ...

Polk Audio MM651

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/pr...s/6-1-2/mm651/

and need to get these speaker adapters

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Now, if I install these and get blown ... Acura needs to figure out what the heck is going on with the amp.

I have had alot of experience in car audio and had about a dozen amps and many speakers and have never come across an issue with "slow inaudible DC discharge thru the speakers upon power down/up". I have had some amps that make a 'pop' when I turned on my receiver but even still those speakers lasted longer than 3-4 months.

Hopefully everything fits and the sounds good ....

I will report my results with pictures ... Stay tuned ....

Last edited by rmastbro; 02-05-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:12 AM
OCD in the OC

I'm experiencing the same thing as the OP. Last week, Acura replaced the driver side tweeter. Unfortunately, it still sounds as if its blown. I'm going in for a second time today--a complete waste of my time.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Based on this thread, if I need to get a car(and it is a TSX) before this problem is sorted out I will be going with a base model
Old 02-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Tech I bought has a blown speaker already (tweeter on the driver's side) and the dealer is replacing on Monday; this problem seems to be pretty widespread.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:21 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by ESHBG
The Tech I bought has a blown speaker already (tweeter on the driver's side) and the dealer is replacing on Monday; this problem seems to be pretty widespread.
Damn, sorry to hear about it, I know you were up in the air weather you were going with Tech or not, you spring for it and then this happens
Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by iTimmy
Damn, sorry to hear about it, I know you were up in the air weather you were going with Tech or not, you spring for it and then this happens
Thanks, and no problem! It's a bit of a hassle for sure but I can't complain for the price I got it at. Also, the dealership gave me absolutely no issue at all re: replacing it when I discovered it so I imagine word is getting out about this.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Well mine is going in on Wed. to get repaired. Dealer said nothing about this being a common problem or any recalls on it, so I guess we'll see. It's getting kinda annoying though. I hope they figure out what the problem is.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Well guys, I got mine fixed today. I asked the service manager about a recall or anything, and he said they got a bulletin telling them it is the speakers themselves that are defective. Apparently there is now a new speaker they are using in place of the old ones. So they replaced my blown one with the new speaker. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before another one goes, so it looks like they are going to replace them one-by-one on an as needed basis.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Drifting

Man that's a hassle. I can see waiting until at least one is out and they have the car anyway but to make you go back for each speaker sounds like it's going to be pretty obnoxious.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Well I just compared my invoice from today's trip to the one back in October to replace the 1st blown speaker. The part #'s for the speakers are the same for both trips. Wouldn't they have a different # if they indeed have a new replacement they are using?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:39 AM
D

Have my new rear passenger speaker replaced now. Sure sounds nice listening to music at the moment. Hopefully I won't have to have any more speakers replaced.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
interesting, is this all happening to TECH TSXs?? We have a base TSX. I noticed that my base system tweeters are metal. I think that the TECH ELS system uses soft-dome tweeters. I guess panasonic speakers are not holding up well....
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Jimmy Hoffa was found in

i'm taking my car to westchester acura to change a speaker, check why my gas door isn't working properly & change my oil.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 AM
10th Gear

Hey everyone,

I was the original thread starter and probably have the most miles (17500) on the car (a lot of highway miles to work). I've now replaced a total of 5 speakers. The last time was last weekend where they replaced the rear passenger door speaker and the front passenger door tweeter...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM
10th Gear

Oh yeah and the replaced speakers were always for different parts of the car...may be thats good news...
Old 02-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I guess the greater question is has anyone had one of the new, replaced speakers blown yet? It looks like it is only a matter of time before there is a recall on the original speakers.

Also curious if the new speakers sound any different than the old ones?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Instructor

I have base model and I got one question do I have speakers in my back doors because there is no sound what so ever.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bartek7pl
I have base model and I got one question do I have speakers in my back doors because there is no sound what so ever.
No. I have the base model also. Nope. Nada. Nothing. Sadly, the ELS speakers in the rear doors do very little...so, we're not missing much!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

Can someone whose Acura dealer has a clue, ask them for the Service Bulletin number or part number for the new speakers? I had my dealer research this issue, and they couldnt find anything, and said that when ordering the speakers, they are still getting the same part number. I dont want to take my car in again until they can do the right thing. Ive already made several trips for blown speakers and refuse to keep playing the same game.

Thanks in advance!

-Six

Quick Reply: Speakers getting blown out