Sound/feeling coming from pressing and releasing brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation Sound/feeling coming from pressing and releasing brake pedal

Hey all,

Ive been noticing a problem during these hot summer days... while driving when i press and release the brake pedal to move forward, i get a noise as if its coming from the rotor to pad contact.

I checked all pads to see if they were worn down, but they seem to have decent life left. Could it be the brake pads becoming sticky with the hot rotor? is that even something that could happen? the problems seems to happen more on hotter days.

I still have warranty of the car so i could take it to the dealership, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. its really annoying even though it doesnt sound loud, but i can feel it every time i accelerate from stop.

btw, its a 2009 acura tsx that i got cpo from the dealer.. it has 60k kms on it atm
Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
similar issue here, 09 TSX Manual 70K miles

mine makes a clunking noise only if I brake real hard, if I brake normal I don't get the noise. I replaced the rear brake pads which needed replacement, front ones have plenty of pad left so I left them alone, I discover the noise while on a downhill on a construction site detour, everytime traffic moved a little, I would let go of brake pedal, car on neutral (manual) and it would make a clunking noise and as soon as I step on brake pedal I could feel the vibration movement.

On flat surfaces, it will do it only when I am coming to a hard stop, does not make any noise from taking off. I removed brake pads and calipers on both sides and can not see anything abnormal, I was suspecting lower sway bar end links but they look normal and in working condition.

Been doing some reading and reasearch and sounds like the recall issue on the lower ball joints.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-problems-fixes-145/2011-tsx-clunk-thumping-sound-when-stopping-833978/

A TSB for this problem has been released... TSB# 12-041

"SYMPTOM
A clunk is heard in the front suspension while driving
over irregular surfaces and in hot weather. The noise
goes away temporarily when the vehicle is lifted in the
air (the suspension is allowed to hang) and then
returned to the ground.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The lower ball joint in the knuckle can make noise
during hot weather conditions.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace both of the front lower ball joints with the
service parts made to address this specific symptom. If
prior replacement, then replace both front knuckle
assemblies; press out the new lower ball joints from the
new knuckles, and press in ones listed in this bulletin."

TSX Model Parts Information Part Number
Front Lower Ball Joint# 51220-TA0-306
B/J Castle Nut# 90309-SJA-000
B/J Cotter Pin# 94201-30220
Spindle Nut# 90305-S3V-A11
Tie Rod Cotter Pin# 94201-30220
Upper Arm B/J Cotter Pin
(if knuckle replaced)# 94201-20220
Wheel Bearing
(if knuckle replaced)# 44300-TA0-A61
The following users liked this post:
D4nnyD (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Instructor

update,

while driving this morning with the temperature of around 24 deg C, i did not notice the problem at all. Im going to assume it has something to do with the hot temp of 30 deg + that is causing the issue with a mechanical part.. most likely rotor warping i think.

If anyone has experienced this issue, please help me out. The rotors and pads on my car are stock acura parts.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by icu2tsx
similar issue here, 09 TSX Manual 70K miles

mine makes a clunking noise only if I brake real hard, if I brake normal I don't get the noise. I replaced the rear brake pads which needed replacement, front ones have plenty of pad left so I left them alone, I discover the noise while on a downhill on a construction site detour, everytime traffic moved a little, I would let go of brake pedal, car on neutral (manual) and it would make a clunking noise and as soon as I step on brake pedal I could feel the vibration movement.

On flat surfaces, it will do it only when I am coming to a hard stop, does not make any noise from taking off. I removed brake pads and calipers on both sides and can not see anything abnormal, I was suspecting lower sway bar end links but they look normal and in working condition.

Been doing some reading and reasearch and sounds like the recall issue on the lower ball joints.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833978

A TSB for this problem has been released... TSB# 12-041

"SYMPTOM
A clunk is heard in the front suspension while driving
over irregular surfaces and in hot weather. The noise
goes away temporarily when the vehicle is lifted in the
air (the suspension is allowed to hang) and then
returned to the ground.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The lower ball joint in the knuckle can make noise
during hot weather conditions.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace both of the front lower ball joints with the
service parts made to address this specific symptom. If
prior replacement, then replace both front knuckle
assemblies; press out the new lower ball joints from the
new knuckles, and press in ones listed in this bulletin."

TSX Model Parts Information Part Number
Front Lower Ball Joint# 51220-TA0-306
B/J Castle Nut# 90309-SJA-000
B/J Cotter Pin# 94201-30220
Spindle Nut# 90305-S3V-A11
Tie Rod Cotter Pin# 94201-30220
Upper Arm B/J Cotter Pin
(if knuckle replaced)# 94201-20220
Wheel Bearing
(if knuckle replaced)# 44300-TA0-A61

Thats most likely the same issue im having.. thanks for the input. The difference for me is, when i let oft he brake pedal to accelerate i hear the little clunk and feel the the vibration on my brake pedal as well.

Question for you, if its a TSB, is it mandatory for the dealership to replace the parts necessary for the TSB, or do they need proof to experience the problem first.

Last edited by D4nnyD; 07-23-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by D4nnyD
Thats most likely the same issue im having.. thanks for the input. The difference for me is, when i let oft he brake pedal to accelerate i hear the little clunk and feel the the vibration on my brake pedal as well.

Question for you, if its a TSB, is it mandatory for the dealership to replace the parts necessary for the TSB, or do they need proof to experience the problem first.
Yeah that's were I am puzzled, mine does the noise only on hard brake stops... I am out of warranty so I will thinker with checking and torquing all the other bolts on the suspension hoping its not the the lower ball joint.

From what I read, in order for stealership to honor the TSB they have to be able to reproduce the problem, so since the temperature made a difference in your case, I would take the car during warm temp. and use the warranty while you have it.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Dealership needs to validate your car has and/or is exhibiting these condtions first. It is not mandatory at all. Recalls are mandatory.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Instructor

thanks guys, looks like ill have to take it to the dealer. if they cant replicate ill have to keep trying on different days when the weather is warm i guess. I bought the extended warranty (acura plus) so i hope it will all be covered. makes me wish i picked up an 2010 or 2011. I havnt had any other problems with the car though, except this
Old 08-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Banned

Op any updates?

As far is my clunking issue, I have resolved it. It was my caliper bolts. All I did was to take them out, grease them up real nice, greased up the contact points on the pads and this time I used a torque wrench and torque the caliper bolts to 37lbs and voila! Noise (clunk, brake pedal vibration when stoping) is all gone and my sanity is back to normal. Glad it was not the lower ball joint.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by icu2tsx
Op any updates?

As far is my clunking issue, I have resolved it. It was my caliper bolts. All I did was to take them out, grease them up real nice, greased up the contact points on the pads and this time I used a torque wrench and torque the caliper bolts to 37lbs and voila! Noise (clunk, brake pedal vibration when stoping) is all gone and my sanity is back to normal. Glad it was not the lower ball joint.
Dealer has been giving me the run around which is really a piss off at the moment. I went last week, they heard the clunk, and then wanted to do diagnosis. The tech couldnt figure out where the noise was coming from and decided to blame it on a caliper bolt he was claiming to be loose since my calipers are painted... Now i know this isnt true because i tignted them the week before quite well. I brought them the TSB when i took the car in, and after they couldnt figure what it was they charged me a diagnosis fee and said keep an eye on it - now claiming the noise had vanished cause they tightned a bolt.

Now, i have to go back in because the clunk came back a day later. Just as the TSB says, the car will temporarily sound fine if the suspension is allowed to hang. They are now claiming because the TSB is from the US, they cant honour it. (I live in Ontario, canada).

Im only at 60k kms, and have acura plus warranty so im gonna keep on their ass untill they fix this. I dont think i should have to pay for this. Im already upset at having to pay diagnosis... I didnt think acura was so bad at fullfilling warranty work.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
wow that is just bullshit. I'm from Toronto. Could you try another dealership? Maybe ask around in the Regional forums to see which dealerships are better at warranty/tsb work.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
wow that is just bullshit. I'm from Toronto. Could you try another dealership? Maybe ask around in the Regional forums to see which dealerships are better at warranty/tsb work.
Yeh bro. Im going back this sat. I live in mississauga, but i bought the car in the toronto location. I took it to acura2000 in brampton, I swear they want to keep every dime they can. I might try erin mills if i have to.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Instructor

So,

After 3 trips and a lot of bitching at this particular dealership, i finally got them to change the two front lower ball joints under warranty. The shop foreman spoke to me and he said that in canada, they dont have to disclose TSB information whereas in the states they do. He also said the TSB for this problem ment nothing in Canada... now i dont kno how much horse shit that is, but thank god i had acura extended warranty.

The replacement was covered under the warranty, even though they ended up following the TSB to replicate and troubleshoot the issue. I had to get in the car with the tech and show him how to make the sound because he kept saying he couldnt hear or feel anything, even though it was blatantly there. Had to show him the sound was not caliper related by putting the car in neutral, parking brake up, and pumping the brake pedal.

Anyways, hope this will fix the issue. I dont want to deal with this hassle any longer.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:40 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Maybe ceb can chime in on this, he probably has the answer to whether Canadian dealerships are trying to screw us over or if they're actually right. Anyway, I obviously hope they're wrong. I have to go in for a TSB for the weather window trim being loose. I found the TSB, but it only covers up to 2012 models (my car's MY13). I'm pretty sure I should be covered too, but I can just see them using something as stupid as that to try and pull a fast one on me. Hopefully I run into zero issues. Congrats on getting them to do something about it.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody have any luck finding an adapter kit that works to press these ball joints out and in? I would like to order the new ones and replace them, since the dealer wants 400$ to do it.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DocRadar
Anybody have any luck finding an adapter kit that works to press these ball joints out and in? I would like to order the new ones and replace them, since the dealer wants 400$ to do it.
auto-zone has them, in their loan a tool, request the kit for HONDA/ACURA only.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DocRadar
auto-zone has them, in their loan a tool, request the kit for HONDA/ACURA only.