2011 TSX - Clunk / Thumping sound when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 TSX - Clunk / Thumping sound when stopping

I recently traded my 2008 TL Base for a 2011 TSX Tech and I am really liking it so far, but there's one issue that has been frustrating to deal with. Whenver I come to a stop, I hear a clunk / thumping sound from the front end. I can sometimes feel it through the steering wheel. It also will occur when starting from a stop but goes away once above 5 mph or so. It only seems to happen in warm weather (80+ degrees). I took it into the dealer and they weren't able to reproduce the issue (unfortunatley I did so before I realized weather was a factor and it was a cooler morning). I am curious if anyone has heard of this issue and could provide me some info for when I revist the dealer.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Have not heard of this issue before but def seems as if something is possibly loose. I would try to persue them during the day when it is warmer and see if they can reproduce. One question, this does not happen on the crank correct, just when you stop and go?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 AM
3rd Gear

That's correct, just when coming to a complete stop and taking off from a stop.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Exact same thing was happening to me. I brought it into the dealership and the guy helping me test drove it with me and we both definitely felt/heard it. Then a cold front came in overnight and it dropped to like 70 at night, and he said the mechanics couldn't reproduce it. He said they checked everything to make sure nothing was loose in the suspension and brakes, and it all looked fine.

He said they didn't find anything wrong with it, but when i got it back it was magically gone. It's gotten up to the mid 90s during the day and it hasnt come back yet. It has been cooler at night now, getting into the 60s, I dont know if that has anything to do with it. Very weird stuff.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like a similar issue I'm experiencing. I took my car to the dealer today and the service advisor mentioned it's a known issue but there is no fix for it yet. The technician did confirm the noise is coming from the suspension and think it's coming from the ball joint.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Advanced

I had the same problem in my 2010. They told me it was a result of Acura having floating brake pads. Idk if that's true but I dealt with it and it ended up going away.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM
3rd Gear

I have a 2010 TSX Tech and had the same problem. It took about 3 trips to the dealership to replicate the noise. They replaced the front strut assembly and I haven't heard any noise since.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having the same issues with my 2012 TSX SE Auto, but mine is when the car has been driving for a while. On my first visit they found lower ball joint not tighten to torque spec. Noise stop but after driving that night it came back. The problems is when i stop or accelerate the click or clunk is there. Ive own a few acura and honda in the past im thinking is the pad shifting. I have another appointment this coming monday. they gave me a loaner. and FIY my last 2010 TSX manual did not have this problem
Old 06-13-2012, 06:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm having the same problem, in the morning the temp around here is 60's so i do not here it but in the afternoon when its 80's + i can hear it clearly, and the warmer it gets the worse the noise gets. I work for Acura so i had one of the techs look at it and he greased up the brakes and the noise stopped for a good 2 weeks now its back.... seems to be a problem with the design of the brake pads since they are "floating" brake pads... i hope Acura can come up with some kind of solution because its quite annoying....
Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Mine hasn't been doing it this summer, and we've hit close to 100° the past few weeks. I bought my car last summer, so maybe you just have to wait until the brakes are worn down a little bit (if it is the brakes that are causing this).
Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. I hadn't equated it to weather, but I first identified the issue now in the warmer weather. It seems to be a faint "clunk" right before the car comes to a stop that can be felt slightly in the steering wheel. The car makes the same noise (and the same slight shudder in the steering wheel) when you resease the brakes.

It doesn't feel like brakes but who knows.

If it were BMW then they would tell you that it is "normal."
Old 06-16-2012, 10:50 AM
mugen cu2

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts
aiight guys im having the same problem theres maybe hope for a fix so today again i took my car to another Acura dealer as im explaining the tech the problem he started to laugh so i was like wtf so anyway he told a previous tsx came two days ago with similar so he then checked everything making sure they were tight then contacted Acura they told him they were aware of it and they are working for a fix from what he told me it is a lower ball joint problem funny part is he put the car on the lift and told me "watch the noise will be gone once we put the car down" so he then said by jacking up the car the ball joint goes back or moves some crap so anyway we went for a test and guess what no more noise lol he said he wasn't sure for how long it will last lol but anyway theres hope since ACURA is working on it

Last edited by savclaude; 06-16-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
^ Useful information, longest sentence ever.
The following users liked this post:
opboarding (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
^ Useful information, longest sentence ever.
The claude laughs at punctuation.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Same Here...

Nice one MrO... some sentece indeed.

In all seriousness,(comma) I have the same thing on my '12 with only 6K. It's not all the time though, I would say maybe 70% of the time spent on traffic...

I might just take a trip to the dealership, but since there is nada concrete on what the issue is...dono know.....

I read someone else here who had he same issue back in late 2009...no posting on what happen after he took it to service.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Advanced

samsies. The dealer installed some wedges somewhere in the car that kinda helped..but still slightly there.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 PM
ris
10th Gear

Anyone have an update on this issue? Lately I've been having this same problem with my 2012 Sport Wagon with 2200 miles. Last weekend I had the car checked by my dealer and after two days of them having the car they couldn't find any issues. I even had a ride along with one of the techs, and oddly enough I couldn't recreate the knocking/clicking noise. Everything was fine until I drove the car on a 150 mile trip yesterday in 90-95 degree heat and the knocking returned. Mainly at very low speeds (start and stop). I don't know if I'm being nit picky, but sometimes I can feel the knocking/clunking through the steering wheel, brake pedal, and foot well. Hopefully someone will chime in with a fix soon, because trying to ignore it all together isn't cutting it.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Take a look at your shocks

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-problems-fixes-145/leaking-strut-863109/

I had the same thump a few weeks ago.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Intermediate

We have had a few TSX's come into work with the same problem, so far the fix is tightening the upper control arm bolts and subframe bolts, the techs have stated to me that they are pretty lose from the factory and causes the noise when stopping on 85+ degrees days... so far no customers have come back for the same problem.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 PM
CR

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My wife's car has the same problem. It almost feels like there are bubbles under your foot when braking. It's getting on my wifes last nerve. Only happens from time to time. You can hear and feel it. This sound like the same issue?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

*UPDATE*

There have been more and more TSX's coming in for the same problem lately, the shop foreman spoke to Acura Tech Line and Acura is in the process of releasing a service bulletin to replace the front ball joints... once that comes out ill update the thread.
gonzo08452 (08-18-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 533 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Elson23
*UPDATE*

There have been more and more TSX's coming in for the same problem lately, the shop foreman spoke to Acura Tech Line and Acura is in the process of releasing a service bulletin to replace the front ball joints... once that comes out ill update the thread.
Thank you! This has been driving me nuts on a 2012 TSX w/ 540 miles on it.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Intermediate

*UPDATE #2*

Got a little more information from the tech today, tech line said that the ball joint has to reach 160 degrees plus before they make noise which means the outside temp has to be 95+, since this is not a safety concern they said they are not going to be taken immediate action. Tech line also said once the weather becomes cooler outside its not going to be an issue. So needless to say it is going to be a little while before we see a bulletin. He also said it might be the whole knuckle to be replaced not just the ball joint.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

My clunk went away after I had it for a year. Bought it in summer and it clunked, got cold no clunk, got hot again this summer no clunk. I've since changed out my ball joints to adjustable ones since I've lowered it though. I seriously doubt you'd have to change out the knuckle too.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM
AZ Community Team

*UPDATE #2*

Got a little more information from the tech today, tech line said that the ball joint has to reach 160 degrees plus before they make noise which means the outside temp has to be 95+, since this is not a safety concern they said they are not going to be taken immediate action. Tech line also said once the weather becomes cooler outside its not going to be an issue. So needless to say it is going to be a little while before we see a bulletin. He also said it might be the whole knuckle to be replaced not just the ball joint.
I don't care if it's a safety concern or not. If I went into the dealership to get this taken care of than it should be fixed on the spot. I find it ridiculous that my brand new 2012 TSX with just over 500 miles on it should be making this noise. Does Acura even have a fix yet or does the TSB have to come out first?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Intermediate

Wow, I am having the same exact problem. I posted a new thread, but I am glad I finally came across another with a lot of other people's comments/suggestions. My car is brand new, I just bought it less than 12 hours ago. It only has 50 miles on it, and I heard/felt the clunking noise (or whatever you want to call it). However, it has been 85-90+ degrees out lately, so the car has definitely heated up. I went to pop the hood, but it was too hot to even touch that I had to wait until it got cooler out (my car is all black). Taking it to the dealer since it is brand new, and is the only problem I am experiencing with the car so far. I have to get wheel locks anyway.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I don't care if it's a safety concern or not. If I went into the dealership to get this taken care of than it should be fixed on the spot. I find it ridiculous that my brand new 2012 TSX with just over 500 miles on it should be making this noise. Does Acura even have a fix yet or does the TSB have to come out first?
I understand what you are saying, you can take in your TSX and maybe they will replace your knuckles, but there is a 50% chance that the noise will come back, they are currently in development of a TSB.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 AM
AZ Community Team

I understand what you are saying, you can take in your TSX and maybe they will replace your knuckles, but there is a 50% chance that the noise will come back, they are currently in development of a TSB.
I understand this and that's why I have not taken it in. I just wish my new car wasn't doing this. Oh well, it's cooler outside and it's subsided for now.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
My wife heard the noise for the first time today and she asked for me to drive it. Sure enough its there. BTW, it is 90+ degrees today. Fortunately my dlr is 2miles away with service open 7 days. I took the shop foreman for a 25 foot road test and he heard it and confirmed it. There is no fix according to him and Acura is aware. He did say it will not get worse and nothing will break. The noise will go away when the weather is cooler. He told me its normal. Oh well.....
Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Pro

I just drove the car to get gas after letting it completely cool and NO NOISE!! If it is the grease on the ball joints liquifying when hot as someone here suggested, maybe the fix is on the type of grease Honda uses. Maybe they come out w/ a TSB to apply a different type of grease? Who knows. I was in a similar predicament when our Trailblazer SS was new. The rear diff will moan and groan making sharp turns at low speeds. Chevy would not replace the rear end saying there was nothing wrong w/ it mechanically. If they changed the diff, the noise would disappear for a month and will be back so they just changed the fluid. They must have changed my diff fluid 5 or 6 times in 2 years until finally coming up w/ TSB to change the fluid to a non-synthetic type w/ some sort of additive. Voila! Its been 3years and my diff is as quiet as a church mouse. I'm hoping Honda comes up w/ a solution soon.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:19 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by gonzo08452
I just drove the car to get gas after letting it completely cool and NO NOISE!! If it is the grease on the ball joints liquifying when hot as someone here suggested, maybe the fix is on the type of grease Honda uses. Maybe they come out w/ a TSB to apply a different type of grease? Who knows. I was in a similar predicament when our Trailblazer SS was new. The rear diff will moan and groan making sharp turns at low speeds. Chevy would not replace the rear end saying there was nothing wrong w/ it mechanically. If they changed the diff, the noise would disappear for a month and will be back so they just changed the fluid. They must have changed my diff fluid 5 or 6 times in 2 years until finally coming up w/ TSB to change the fluid to a non-synthetic type w/ some sort of additive. Voila! Its been 3years and my diff is as quiet as a church mouse. I'm hoping Honda comes up w/ a solution soon.
I noticed that the thumping noise was gone on my car when it was 75 degrees outside and I was excited. But I also realized it's only temperature related and hope there is a fix by next spring or summer.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Pro

yeah, I can't wait til winter....lol. Dammit Acura!!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

Same story here, I took my wagon in today for the clunk. It sounded like bad shocks or sway bar bushings to me, from experience with other cars. I have a 2011 that was sitting new on the lot for a year, and it started almost from day one. I thought it was the brakes at first too needing to get broken in but it got progressively worse over the first month of ownership. I thought it might have been something from it sitting so long on the lot, but nope the dealer said the same you are saying here. It is Texas and 100 degrees out, I did notice in the mornings it wasn't as bad. They logged that my car has the issue with Acura and said when the fix comes I'll get a letter. Even the loaner TSX they gave me with 188 miles on the clock had it. That's a sad state of affairs Acura. I'll update if said letter ever shows up, otherwise I'll just keep listening here.

I also reported the nasty sludge in the wheel well too and got the same reply, undercoating. I feared blown shocks but all 4 had it and it was way too consistent. I got a free car wash out of the deal at least and some piece of mind the car isn't simply falling apart. Not exactly what I'd rank highly for initial quality rankings ala JD Powers.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

*UPDATE*

Bulletin on replacing the lower ball joints with new updated ones will be released in November. When bulletin releases I will post it up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Elson23:
gonzo08452 (10-02-2012), MC MiYoung3269 (10-08-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Pro

GREAT NEWS!!! But, knowing my dealer, they would want to replicate my concern. If its cold out, there be no way for them to hear the noise.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by gonzo08452
GREAT NEWS!!! But, knowing my dealer, they would want to replicate my concern. If its cold out, there be no way for them to hear the noise.
Possibly not if there is a bulletin. My dealership heard the noise but wanted to do some more testing. Once this is released, I will be making an appointment to take it in for a replacement since it's been heard already.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

*UPDATE*

A TSB for this problem has been released... TSB# 12-041

"SYMPTOM
A clunk is heard in the front suspension while driving
over irregular surfaces and in hot weather. The noise
goes away temporarily when the vehicle is lifted in the
air (the suspension is allowed to hang) and then
returned to the ground.
PROBABLE CAUSE
The lower ball joint in the knuckle can make noise
during hot weather conditions.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace both of the front lower ball joints with the
service parts made to address this specific symptom. If
prior replacement, then replace both front knuckle
assemblies; press out the new lower ball joints from the
new knuckles, and press in ones listed in this bulletin."

TSX Model Parts Information Part Number
Front Lower Ball Joint# 51220-TA0-306
B/J Castle Nut# 90309-SJA-000
B/J Cotter Pin# 94201-30220
Spindle Nut# 90305-S3V-A11
Tie Rod Cotter Pin# 94201-30220
Upper Arm B/J Cotter Pin
(if knuckle replaced)# 94201-20220
Wheel Bearing
(if knuckle replaced)# 44300-TA0-A61
hoyalawya (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just heard the same noise today from my 2012 wagon with 1,200 miles on the odometer. It was 90+ today around the DC area. The noise/thump was very annoying on the beltway traffic. Could anybody please confirm whether this TSB fixed the problem?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:56 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hoyalawya
Just heard the same noise today from my 2012 wagon with 1,200 miles on the odometer. It was 90+ today around the DC area. The noise/thump was very annoying on the beltway traffic. Could anybody please confirm whether this TSB fixed the problem?
there is a tsb out... i think i posted it on another thread about this issue...

but the thing is, its hard to get the dealership to fix it. i had taken mine 2 times now and i cant get any of the SA or the tech to hear it. i even took both of them on a test drive and they werent convinced at all.

just make sure that you have driven the car for a while and that the weather is consistently warm... warm when they test it out that is. not when you take it in since they will take the car with your complaint but wont fix it if they cant reproduce it.

i even had the TSB printed out and showed it to them and the response i got was that they had never seen the TSB until now.

good luck and keep us posted since some of us are trying to get it fixed as well.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-problems-fixes-145/clunk-thump-noise-when-braking-885736/

TSB is attached to the 2nd to the last post on the thread. in PDF

Last edited by krnboy817; 05-31-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by krnboy817
there is a tsb out... i think i posted it on another thread about this issue...

but the thing is, its hard to get the dealership to fix it. i had taken mine 2 times now and i cant get any of the SA or the tech to hear it. i even took both of them on a test drive and they werent convinced at all.

just make sure that you have driven the car for a while and that the weather is consistently warm... warm when they test it out that is. not when you take it in since they will take the car with your complaint but wont fix it if they cant reproduce it.

i even had the TSB printed out and showed it to them and the response i got was that they had never seen the TSB until now.

good luck and keep us posted since some of us are trying to get it fixed as well.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885736

TSB is attached to the 2nd to the last post on the thread. in PDF
I took mine in and they heard it but they said they need me to bring it back on a different day so they can "amplify" the noise to hear it better. This is ridiculous but it was last year so this year I'll be pushing the issue more.

Quick Reply: 2011 TSX - Clunk / Thumping sound when stopping