Removing stereo's jog knob

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012 | 08:22 AM
Pro

Removing stereo's jog knob

My TSX's windshield was destroyed last week, and the impact sent powdered glass throughout the interior. The repair shop cleaned out most of it, but some got into the stereo's main jog knob, which now grinds unpleasantly. I'd like to just fix it myself. Does it just pull off, or do I need to remove the audio system's panel first? Non tech, BTW. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012 | 03:01 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Old 06-28-2012 | 03:03 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

On a serious note. If it grinds unpleasantly then you have some damage to that mechanism. Did your glass shatter or was it shattered removing the glass?

If the glass company did it then they need to pay the dealer to fix it.
Old 06-28-2012 | 04:59 PM
Membered Register

i haven't taken apart a non-tech radio, but this is what one looks like from a nav model. so the knob itself can be pulled off, but the guts are soldered on to the pcb. i'd guess that the non version is probably either very similar or the same.

Removing stereo's jog knob-1n1cyl.jpg
Old 06-28-2012 | 08:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
On a serious note. If it grinds unpleasantly then you have some damage to that mechanism. Did your glass shatter or was it shattered removing the glass?

If the glass company did it then they need to pay the dealer to fix it.
I don't think the mechanism has been damaged. Could be, I guess, but I just think some powdered glass got in there so it grinds when the knob turns. Get the glass out, and it should be smooth again. It still works fine.

The shop didn't cause the damage, which was courtesy of a concrete chunk that fell from a highway overpass, and hit the windshield almost dead center when we were doing between 60 and 65 mph. Startling to say the least, but the safety glass did its thing, and we were all okay apart from a couple of minor cuts.
Old 06-29-2012 | 08:47 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
I don't think the mechanism has been damaged. Could be, I guess, but I just think some powdered glass got in there so it grinds when the knob turns. Get the glass out, and it should be smooth again. It still works fine.

The shop didn't cause the damage, which was courtesy of a concrete chunk that fell from a highway overpass, and hit the windshield almost dead center when we were doing between 60 and 65 mph. Startling to say the least, but the safety glass did its thing, and we were all okay apart from a couple of minor cuts.
I hope you filed a report and a claim with the municipality that owns that roadway.
Old 06-29-2012 | 11:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
I hope you filed a report and a claim with the municipality that owns that roadway.
We certainly plan to. Unfortunately, the accident occurred in Ontario, which might complicate the claims process for us, but we are both lawyers so we should be able to handle it. In addition, the Ontario trooper who responded to the accident prepared a detailed report, and the highway maintenance entity began investigating immediately. As a result, the relevant information should be readily available to the provincial government. Hopefully, that will make it easy.
Old 06-29-2012 | 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
We certainly plan to. Unfortunately, the accident occurred in Ontario, which might complicate the claims process for us, but we are both lawyers so we should be able to handle it. In addition, the Ontario trooper who responded to the accident prepared a detailed report, and the highway maintenance entity began investigating immediately. As a result, the relevant information should be readily available to the provincial government. Hopefully, that will make it easy.
oh the arguements you and your wife have must be fun to watch. ORDER. ORDER IN THE KITCHEN!

on a more serious note, glad you are ok. good to know you'll have everything taken care of. if i were you, i'd just get the dealer to do it for you, send the bill along with the bill for the new windshield
Old 06-29-2012 | 03:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PyroDave
oh the arguements you and your wife have must be fun to watch. ORDER. ORDER IN THE KITCHEN!
Guilty as charged! Actually, the arguments between our daughters are scary. Somehow, they just absorb the lawyerly ways.

Older one (then 11): "Rachel, you agreed you wouldn't watch the TV."

Little one (then 8): "No, I didn't sign anything!"

As they move into their teens, we're in big, big trouble!

I actually fixed the knob today. It just pulled off, and I removed the offending glass chip. Getting the sucker back on proved more difficult, because it took awhile to find the proper orientation.

Thanks all. A'zine rules!