had to take my 2012 tsx to the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
periods. use them.

i'm glad they found out what was causing the problem though.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
For benben01

Originally Posted by benben01
What aftermarket rims do you have on your ZDX Terry?
Sorry I mised your question. They are JIC CROSS Sports Wheels - Stella 05 made in Japan. I got a good deal as when they came out they were $600.00 US a wheel. These were brand new at the tire store I go too and I paid $200 Cdn a wheel.

You can see some different angles on the car at

http://www.pbase.com/terdonal/planes...nd_automobiles

if you are interested.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Loaners have nothing to do with the quality of the car, but speaks more to the manufacturer's goals in keeping customers.

My Audi dealer also owned the Lexus dealership. They shared the same driveway and the same used car lot.

When I took my $60k+ S6 in for a longer service I had to fight to get a loaner and often ended up in a Chevy Cobalt. I had to bring my own coffee or buy a soda in the vending machine.

Walk 50 feet to the Lexus dealership. When I took my mom's RX-300 in for an oil change I got handed the keys to a new loaner regardless of if I asked as long as the service would take more than a half hour. Free espresso bar and sodas in paper cups with ice. Warm cookies and fruit. Chips in the afternoon.

For my $60k BMW, I got loaners - lots of them - ranging from the occasional BMW to Nissan Altimas, Impalas and, for two months, a Mini. No free sodas or coffee, but they had an espresso bar where a coffee cost more than Starbucks.

My wife's Honda dealer gives her a Honda product for anything over two hours, free DIY Keurig coffee and stale donuts.

My Acura dealer has a fleet of a zillion Acuras that you get without an appointment. Of the three loaners I've had, I asked for - and got - something with nav (TSX) and a TL when I didn't need nav.

But I've never been charged for a loaner anywhere.

I can see one possible justification. Most insurance companies won't cover rentals for anyone under 25 (23 or 21 in some states) but may impose a surcharge to cover younger drivers. Ethically, I think they are OK to pass on that charge but it should be noted up front.
i've only dealt with acura and mercedes in this dept. my normal dealer(ramsey acura) offers free loaners, but you usually have to ask atleast 3-4 days, usually a week in advance. if you are over 25, you get a new acura, some with tech, some without. you can request a specific model if you want. if you are 18-25(like me), you just let them know and they give you car from a special group of acura's. 08 TSX or 08 TL usually i think, i've only gotten the TL. at DCH montclair acura, they use hertz or something and give you free loaners from there, but you have to be over 25.

all the acura dealers i've been to have atleast free water and coffee/tea from those instant machines where you pick a packet and place it in. and free wifi in a lounge. one had a quiet room, for those who need to get work done. another had muffins and chips and other snacks free.

mercedes loaners are free, i think, but they are extremely sketchy, but depend on your insurance. some companies apparently have better loaner insurance, so you can get a benz loaner, others(like progressive, which we have), they said they could only give us a rental loaner, like a chevy or some crap. i dont like benz
Old 07-14-2012, 09:47 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TSX at dealer now getting ball joints replaced. Service manager confirmed factory reps know of problem but as stated in this forum, they have no fix, so replacements going in today will exhibit same problem as temperatures cause lubrication to liquify. Can confirm noise started as we got consistent 90 plus degree weather here in north Florida. Car (lease) has less than 2500 miles on it though since temperature is more the culprit (as one person said, he's was about 600 miles) but relevant I would think if you keep driving it as they first suggested. My question goes more to how many miles before failure (can they even answer that) and what is the remaining lubricating quality of something that changes state with temperature.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
^^ That sounds like a parts supplier issues with the ball joints than a design flaw. If the grease liquifies as they suspect, can't they locate a ball joint in the parts bin from an earlier production date?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Interesting thread. There's absolutely nothing here that makes me want a newer TSX when I finally bite the bullet and give my 05 the heave ho. What the heck is going on with Honda? These kinds of problems with the TSX. The totally underwhelming (and really pricey) ILX. The 2013 RL going back to front wheel drive. It was obvious that Honda had lost their way with the introduction of the current line up a couple of years ago, but gee.... for some reason, they're still unable to right the ship. I wonder if they think we'll all stay with them no matter what.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
i've only dealt with acura and mercedes in this dept. my normal dealer(ramsey acura) offers free loaners, but you usually have to ask atleast 3-4 days, usually a week in advance. if you are over 25, you get a new acura, some with tech, some without. you can request a specific model if you want. if you are 18-25(like me), you just let them know and they give you car from a special group of acura's. 08 TSX or 08 TL usually i think, i've only gotten the TL. at DCH montclair acura, they use hertz or something and give you free loaners from there, but you have to be over 25.

all the acura dealers i've been to have atleast free water and coffee/tea from those instant machines where you pick a packet and place it in. and free wifi in a lounge. one had a quiet room, for those who need to get work done. another had muffins and chips and other snacks free.

mercedes loaners are free, i think, but they are extremely sketchy, but depend on your insurance. some companies apparently have better loaner insurance, so you can get a benz loaner, others(like progressive, which we have), they said they could only give us a rental loaner, like a chevy or some crap. i dont like benz
I bought my Acura at 24 years old and I've had several rentals.

2010 RDX w/ Tech SH-AWD
2012 RDX w/ Tech FWD
2012 TSX w/o Tech V6
2012 RDX w/ Tech SH-AWD

I guess either my dealership is nicer or I'm getting lucky.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I bought my Acura at 24 years old and I've had several rentals.

2010 RDX w/ Tech SH-AWD
2012 RDX w/ Tech FWD
2012 TSX w/o Tech V6
2012 RDX w/ Tech SH-AWD

I guess either my dealership is nicer or I'm getting lucky.
it could be if your over 21 or 23, no clue. doesn't matter to me as im not even 20 yet =P but i've also had regular service, if i had to drive an 08 cause they fucked up my brand new 2012, trust me they'd be bent over my 19 year old knee hahahaha
Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by PyroDave
it could be if your over 21 or 23, no clue. doesn't matter to me as im not even 20 yet =P but i've also had regular service, if i had to drive an 08 cause they fucked up my brand new 2012, trust me they'd be bent over my 19 year old knee hahahaha
I actually forgot how old I was when I bought my RDX originally. I was 23 years old as I bought it in October and I didn't turn 24 until February. Either way, they gave me a rental. My Honda dealership where I bought my Civic would never offer me a loaner car because I was under 25. It was a top of the line dealership in a well to do area but that has nothing to do with it. They had plenty of rentals to go around but I was unlucky. Luckily, I never had to leave the car with them for long and I was always able to wait.

I just found out my dads best friends daughter bought a Blue TSX w/ Tech (09) from the same dealership I went to. It was a rental car and now she has to get warranty work done. The rear wheel well (front of the wheel well) has rust forming all over the paint. Not chips, just straight rust. Poor TSX! I assume that it's covered and I told her that if they give her trouble just drop my name. I doubt they want to deal with the likes of me again.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Safety Car

I actually forgot how old I was when I bought my RDX originally. I was 23 years old as I bought it in October and I didn't turn 24 until February. Either way, they gave me a rental. My Honda dealership where I bought my Civic would never offer me a loaner car because I was under 25. It was a top of the line dealership in a well to do area but that has nothing to do with it. They had plenty of rentals to go around but I was unlucky. Luckily, I never had to leave the car with them for long and I was always able to wait.

I just found out my dads best friends daughter bought a Blue TSX w/ Tech (09) from the same dealership I went to. It was a rental car and now she has to get warranty work done. The rear wheel well (front of the wheel well) has rust forming all over the paint. Not chips, just straight rust. Poor TSX! I assume that it's covered and I told her that if they give her trouble just drop my name. I doubt they want to deal with the likes of me again.
is she cute? send her my way. i have a weakness for girls in TSX's ;P especially the nicest color offered hahaha
Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
There are generally two things that come into play with rentals. The first is state insurance laws that govern both minimum age and driving record requirements for loaners and the second is, of course, how you present yourself to the dealership.

No dealer wants his or her car beat to death by an inexperienced driver or someone who looks at a gas pedal as an on/off switch. In my experience, I've found the majority of dealers unwilling to loan to anyone under 25 are those who are constrained by insurance limitations.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 PM
ris
10th Gear

Another owner here having the same issue.

2012 Sport Wagon with 2200 miles.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=17
Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
There are generally two things that come into play with rentals. The first is state insurance laws that govern both minimum age and driving record requirements for loaners and the second is, of course, how you present yourself to the dealership.

No dealer wants his or her car beat to death by an inexperienced driver or someone who looks at a gas pedal as an on/off switch. In my experience, I've found the majority of dealers unwilling to loan to anyone under 25 are those who are constrained by insurance limitations.
Goodson Acura is the only dealer I know of who has given out loaners to drivers under 25. I was 23 when they gave me a 3.2 TL when I had my Type R in for service. They ran out of RSXs and had to give me what they gave the NSX drivers.

I agree, it really depends on the State and the Dealer.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TrojanTSX
Goodson Acura is the only dealer I know of who has given out loaners to drivers under 25. I was 23 when they gave me a 3.2 TL when I had my Type R in for service. They ran out of RSXs and had to give me what they gave the NSX drivers.

I agree, it really depends on the State and the Dealer.
Ramsey Acura in north jersey has given me loaners since my 18th birthday. 08 TL's usually =)
Old 08-02-2012, 12:31 PM
1st Gear

The same thing happened to my 2012 TSX, with 1,900 miles on it I heard a grinding/groaning noise when break and accelerate, only when its hot. Took it in and they told me the same thing, a ball joint issue that they can't fix. Although the rental car i was driving was also a 2012 TSX with 2,000 miles, it did not have the same problem so I asked them to put that ball joint on my car until they have a real fix. That has been in my car for about a month and I've had no problems.

If you have the issue and it's driving you crazy you might ask if they can do something similar...I know how frustrating it is to drive a car everyday and hear that noise especially when its a few months old...
Old 08-02-2012, 10:13 PM
AZ Community Team

I feel like I hear this exact sound if I'm creeping forward and hitting the brakes. I don't hear it during start up nor do I hear it during higher speeds. Only creeping but then again I figure it may have been normal. Did anyone experience it just as I explained it? It's sort of an odd noise, rubbing like, and it happens quite often. Normal or not? This thread has me wondering if I wasn't hearing things...

2012 TSX 4 cylinder. 480 miles.

The same thing happened to my 2012 TSX, with 1,900 miles on it I heard a grinding/groaning noise when break and accelerate, only when its hot. Took it in and they told me the same thing, a ball joint issue that they can't fix. Although the rental car i was driving was also a 2012 TSX with 2,000 miles, it did not have the same problem so I asked them to put that ball joint on my car until they have a real fix. That has been in my car for about a month and I've had no problems.

If you have the issue and it's driving you crazy you might ask if they can do something similar...I know how frustrating it is to drive a car everyday and hear that noise especially when its a few months old...
A ball joint issue that can't be fixed? I seriously hope there is nothing like that on my car and that I'm hearing things as said above. I've dealt with enough crap from Acura since October of 2011 that this better not be a non-fixable thing. I don't remember my 2012 RDX making these noises nor my 08 Civic. I won't accept "theres no fix" if I do indeed have a problem. Someone remind me again why I bought an Acura? Heck, I think my glove box is rattling on certain bumps as when I open it I swear the noise goes away. Cheap Cheap Cheap!

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 08-02-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
AZ Community Team

I was driving locally and when I was braking it makes a knocking noise twice. This happens when I'm near a complete stop every time. Am I hearing what everyone else is? Is there a fix yet? Its annoying me! You can sort of feel it in the pedal but not much.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 PM
mugen cu2

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts
^^ no fix for this issue yet,i was told in many occasions that Acura is working on it if you want a bit of relief just jack up the whole car,it will remove some stress on the ball joint,but the noise will be back within 2 weeks or less,i really don't let this bother me anymore i just put the radio louder then usual
Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by savclaude
^^ no fix for this issue yet,i was told in many occasions that Acura is working on it if you want a bit of relief just jack up the whole car,it will remove some stress on the ball joint,but the noise will be back within 2 weeks or less,i really don't let this bother me anymore i just put the radio louder then usual
I'm able to live with it for now as long as it's not a safety issue. I would expect a fix soon though because my brand new car should not be making these popping noises. I'll deal with it and blast the radio as I usually do until a fix is available. Once there is a fix, please post in this thread just in case I don't hear of one before you.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:36 AM
mugen cu2

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts
^^ i sure will
Old 08-07-2012, 07:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by savclaude
^^ i sure will
Thanks, I was driving today and it was a bit more noticeable than usual. It's very warm today and that seems to be when it makes the most noise. So annoying to know it's there but I hope a fix is coming soon.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 315 Posts
Has anyone tried to loosen and re torque the axle nut (by the wheel studs) I have had this problem on the accords the sound is heard if brake is held on and turnning wheel while rolling forward with a little bit of throtttle (power braking) ?????
Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same issue with my12, and there is no confirmed fix as of yet. I work at a acura dealership in austin, and I'm waiting to hear of a fix also. Several of us are having this issue.
The following users liked this post:
gonzo08452 (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
^^^thanks and please keep us informed. Just as long as its not a safety issue then I can accept it for now. Still want a fix though.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So let me understand this, the noise is from when the car in motion, it could hear from lower speed, sounds like it's spinning and rubbing by the joint, right? if so, i'm having this issue too. you won't hear it when it's 70mph+, the outside/roadnoise would be louder that covers it.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by kitt1126
So let me understand this, the noise is from when the car in motion, it could hear from lower speed, sounds like it's spinning and rubbing by the joint, right? if so, i'm having this issue too. you won't hear it when it's 70mph+, the outside/roadnoise would be louder that covers it.
From what I've gathered, it happens when you apply the brakes and the speed is under 5 MPH or so. You'll hear a clunk noise and even feel it slightly in the brake pedal.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Pro

if there is a fix coming, do you all think they would issue a non-safety recall notice/voluntary recall? I sure hope Acura would notify the owners if a fix is available.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by gonzo08452
if there is a fix coming, do you all think they would issue a non-safety recall notice/voluntary recall? I sure hope Acura would notify the owners if a fix is available.
Doubt it, but who knows. It took years for me to get a notice in the mail about defective sun visors in my 08 Civic. The notice said a TSB has been issued and if it breaks to bring it in. The cause was the heat would break the molding and cause it to sit down half way and near the level of vision.

...This was after Honda was hit with a law suit. Go figure...
Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

This is the ball joint and yes there is currently no fix. a revised ball joint is suppose to be released in a few months. The popping sound you guys are hearing is very annoying and so far no safety issues just an annoying pop. i cant disclose the details of my 2012 but lets just say i no longer own a TSX and much happier with my new HFP Coupe v6 Navi.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
So Honda caved in and let you trade out of your TSX without a hit for another Honda right?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TSXCHI99
This is the ball joint and yes there is currently no fix. a revised ball joint is suppose to be released in a few months. The popping sound you guys are hearing is very annoying and so far no safety issues just an annoying pop. i cant disclose the details of my 2012 but lets just say i no longer own a TSX and much happier with my new HFP Coupe v6 Navi.
No safety issues so far? I love how you wrote that because my friend said it won't be admitted as a safety issue until one of us die in a car accident because of it.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

yea and trust me after driving like 45 min in stop and go traffic that damn wheel felt like it was gonna fall off. I owned enough Honda's in my time to know there good cars and thats why i still own one. People make mistakes, that TSB should be out very soon.

Last edited by TSXCHI99; 08-22-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Pro

Doubt it, but who knows. It took years for me to get a notice in the mail about defective sun visors in my 08 Civic. The notice said a TSB has been issued and if it breaks to bring it in. The cause was the heat would break the molding and cause it to sit down half way and near the level of vision.

...This was after Honda was hit with a law suit. Go figure...

I say we lawyer up. lol
Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 PM
AZ Community Team

I say we lawyer up. lol
Well, it couldn't possibly delay it so let's do it.

/not really lol
Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Pro

I find it interesting that I havent heard a single peep from my wife since its her dd. Yet the other day she mentioned she was planning to take it to the dealer to have it looked at because she says the engine is louder when the a/c is in use.lol
Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 AM
AZ Community Team

I find it interesting that I havent heard a single peep from my wife since its her dd. Yet the other day she mentioned she was planning to take it to the dealer to have it looked at because she says the engine is louder when the a/c is in use.lol
Oh wow, the normal sound is an issue to her but the thumping sound and feel in the pedal is normal?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Pro

Oh wow, the normal sound is an issue to her but the thumping sound and feel in the pedal is normal?

I just didn't think she felt it until I pointed it out to her. To her defense, it is reeeaallly subtle on our car. But I know its there so it bugs the crap out of me.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced

Is this a Tsunami-interuption issue?

Why would Honda have changed the parts quality for 2012 models? 2011 was the "refresh" year. I have a 2011 (one of the cars built before the factory shut-downs) and it's silent.

Perhaps the supplier that provided Honda with TSX parts was off-line for longer due to floods or earthquake damage, so Honda is using a lower-spec supplier (that is at least up and running) for this little part?

Hope you all get relief soon.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by spyked
Why would Honda have changed the parts quality for 2012 models? 2011 was the "refresh" year. I have a 2011 (one of the cars built before the factory shut-downs) and it's silent.

Perhaps the supplier that provided Honda with TSX parts was off-line for longer due to floods or earthquake damage, so Honda is using a lower-spec supplier (that is at least up and running) for this little part?

Hope you all get relief soon.
Possibly, but let's hope it gets fixed soon. It was hot these last two days and it was driving me nuts. Those cold days really make you appreciate the car more.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:25 PM
8th Gear

same problem with my new 2012 TSX. just bought it on Friday, then immediately noticed the noise on Sunday. drove back to dealer, and service manager told me that it's an known issue and they are expecting a fix part come in by end of September. Cross my finger. so disappointed with such a high expectation from this car.

Quick Reply: had to take my 2012 tsx to the dealer