The dreaded P0341 CEL on my '09 TSX

Old 01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dreaded P0341 CEL on my '09 TSX

Well folks, it's been a long and extremely negative road with me and my 2009 TSX.

2009 TSX, 4cyl AT (K24Z3), tech, 108k odo.

The other day I started up my car and got the VSA light, check engine light, "check emission system" etc. On the nav display, code P0341 came up. The car was running fine otherwise. The time before that I drove the car, I noticed that the car felt a litle sluggish. No CEL though. Didn't drive it anymore and limped it to the shop (a mile away) without further incident.

Took it to a really good, trustworthy independent mechanic who pulled the codes and said he wanted the owner of the shop to look at it and I MIGHT be looking at "major engine repair"...never good. Told him what I'd read about the old TSX's having problems with timing chains stretching and slipping and he said one of the codes points to that. I'm hoping his version of "major engine repair" is R&Ring the timing chain, tensioner, guides, etc and not a complete rebuild. It was running relatively fine.

Car has been burning oil (not massive amounts but it's been consuming a quart every 5k miles or so) but I always keep it between the two dots and follow the mainteance schedule on the MID. Never gotten an oil light.

I've had every problem in the book with my TSX, except mercifully the trunk and hood rattles. I've been a pinger since 2,000 miles. I was out of the original warranty when the ping fix came out and had to lay into the stealership and Acura pretty hard for them to apply it to my car. Worked for a few thousand miles. I think I royally ticked off that dealer.

Any words of consolation would be nice, haha. I hope my experience is very unusual and it's not indicative of a more widespread problem, as it was with the '04 TSX. But all you pingers out there take notice and be vigilant.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car trouble you're having, and thanks for the PSA regarding the pingers. Although the pinging has not affected my '09 (that I know of), it's gracious of you to share information despite the problems you're having.

My attempt at words of consolation for you are:

1. You've had the car for over 100k miles (or km?) despite the problems, so maybe it isn't so bad?

2. Perhaps a second opinion on the diagnosis might reveal a less dire situation?

3. If the TSX doesn't work out, you'll still get to fly airplanes? (Totally reaching here, just guessing based on your screen name )

Anyway, good luck with this, and hopefully things will be smooth regardless of the outcome.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
man that sucks

im at 17k miles with my 09
Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM
6th Gear

Yeah, I'm over 100k miles, but still...I'm kinda shocked how much this car has been a lemon. My two past Civics had over 200k miles on them and ran fine when I got rid of them.

And yes, I still do get to fly! Amazingly, there are far fewer moving parts in turbine (and piston) engines. Most piston engines in airplanes are little more complex than lawnmower engines.

Thanks for the consolation. I'm still waiting to hear back from the shop.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 AM
6th Gear

Verdict: I did indeed need a new timing chain. $800 installed, including oil & filter change. Nothing like a good independent mechanic.

For the record, I've heard on the internets this can be caused by oil starvation. I never got an oil light, did all my changes by the recommended service intervals, etc. For that matter, I always parked in a level spot, etc. As the car aged, I would always check the oil, but it may pay for you all in the long run to keep the oil up to the top dot on the dipstick.

Oh well, Audi here I come. If I have to spend half my life in the stealership, I might as well do it in a car I enjoy.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your car, good luck on the search for Audi. Are you going for A3 or A4?

For your information, the timing chain normally does not need replacement, however, we need to inspect the timing chain tensioner on a periodic basis. If it is full engaged and the timing chain still has play, then the chain has likely stretched. In which case, replacement is required. Main cause of stretching is oil depletion.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:22 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
sorry to hear of the problems you had with your tsx. My 06 has been problem rattle free after almost 120,000 miles. I traded my 05 civic ex-se with 36,000 miles.That car was a P.O.S. one problem after another and a rattle box.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Av8n4life
Verdict: I did indeed need a new timing chain. $800 installed, including oil & filter change. Nothing like a good independent mechanic.

For the record, I've heard on the internets this can be caused by oil starvation. I never got an oil light, did all my changes by the recommended service intervals, etc. For that matter, I always parked in a level spot, etc. As the car aged, I would always check the oil, but it may pay for you all in the long run to keep the oil up to the top dot on the dipstick.

Oh well, Audi here I come. If I have to spend half my life in the stealership, I might as well do it in a car I enjoy.
Good luck with the Audi, and beware. I've had every little thing go wrong with my prior car, a VW Passat. It's still running (my daughter uses it) at 160k...I loved driving it, but after that, I swore I'd never buy a VW product again. So you may be jumping from the fryingpan into the fire on repair issues.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:28 AM
5th Gear

An audi may not help

Well, I like to say first that buying an Audi will not alleviate your maintenance/ cost/reliability issues. Im sorry for your experience, but as a independent shop owner I can tell you that I get more Audi's in for stupid stuff than Acuras and Hondas. They generally need only oil changes, brake jobs, and tune-ups. Also Audis, cost more upfront, plus more per repair & maintenance (about 30% more for comparable job - parts & labor)

As to your Acura, eating 1 quart of oil per 5000 miles is not normal. Your maintenance minder also only monitors oil, by calculating oil wear by miles driven/average & acceleration rpm speed/temperature/trip time (Cold weather and short trips are bad for an engine).

I am glad you like your previous civics, but depending on the year they probably had timing belt that were changed during a 50,000, 100,000, or 150,000 mile tune-up. I.E. no problems. All new Acuras and Hondas as well Audis are going back to chain driven timing. While they usually crap out between 150,000 to 300,000 miles, its a crap-shoot. Car manufacture are going back to chains, because sometimes takes less space, last longer vs belts, hold better timing with especially with new direct injection, variable valve engines, and materials they are made of last a little better. As well chains are designed much shorter in smaller engines to prevent stretching issues of the past.

Also just a sense of cost... I may change your belt between 2-4 time over 15 year period at around $300 but most likely will change a chain only once for $700-1500 dollars. Don't forget every time I work on your car, it is a inconvenience, and is time lost to you. That kinda the reason why chains are making a comeback.

I hope this info helps in your decision making.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Just wondering, which would cause more internal damage when it fails, a timing chain or belt?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
Just wondering, which would cause more internal damage when it fails, a timing chain or belt?
They do the same thing, so I assume the damage (catastrophic by the way) would be the same too.