clunk/thump noise when braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
clunk/thump noise when braking

alright so i just purchased the 2012 tsx wagon and its been about 2 weeks and the car is making some weird noises when braking and coming to a stop.

under moderate braking, there is a pop or a thump coming from the front end of the car. it makes it seem like something is lose or broken type feel... and when under a hard braking there is a same noise coming from the front center of the vehicle.

once stopped, on the take off there is a same noise that comes from the same front end of the vehicle as when braking.

the car only has about 3500 miles and started showing symptoms about 300 miles ago.

any ideas as to what it may be?

thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
My guess is the balljoints. There is a TSB out for it. Take it in and report back here and let us know the outcome. No biggies though. Just annoying.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Could be a loose caliper too. Any noise when you turn without applying the brake? Have this looked at soon..
Old 04-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Instructor

yeah so i found another thread from the search and found the TSB along with other "popular" malfunctions on the TSX models.

from what i have read, the noise comes usually in the temps around 87 and up... and currently where i am located it has only been in the 60s.

so in about a month or another 2000 miles i will take it in to the dealership and have it figured out.

it looks like its prone problem to the 2012 and some members are having some issue getting the problem fixed.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Mine had this problem when I first bought it. Then after a year + lowering the car, it has seemed to disappear.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by opboarding
Mine had this problem when I first bought it. Then after a year + lowering the car, it has seemed to disappear.
so with out taking to the dealers to get it fixed... you just kept the car and all you did was lower it then the problem disappeared?

interesting... but believable since some of my previous cars fixed it self somehow or another. this might be a better solution to some since dealers aren't the easiest or the brightest people (SA) to work with some times.

anyways thanks for the input... btw what are you lowered on?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Im not sure what fixed it, either time and miles or lowering it. Maybe lowering it changed the angle of movement of the lower ball joints. Or maybe you just need to put like 10k miles on it and it will eventually sort itself out. I took it to the dealer in the summer soon after I got it, but a cold front came in that night and it was 60 the next day so it didnt make the noise.

I'm lowered on Megan EZ. I kind of wish I went with Tein because the Megans are kind of noisy. One rear makes a slight popping sound when going over speed bumps, and the front's rattle a little on bumpy roads (lots of little bumps like a brick portion of the road). But I dont really have anything to compare the megans to since this is my first lowered car.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by opboarding
Im not sure what fixed it, either time and miles or lowering it. Maybe lowering it changed the angle of movement of the lower ball joints. Or maybe you just need to put like 10k miles on it and it will eventually sort itself out. I took it to the dealer in the summer soon after I got it, but a cold front came in that night and it was 60 the next day so it didnt make the noise.

I'm lowered on Megan EZ. I kind of wish I went with Tein because the Megans are kind of noisy. One rear makes a slight popping sound when going over speed bumps, and the front's rattle a little on bumpy roads (lots of little bumps like a brick portion of the road). But I dont really have anything to compare the megans to since this is my first lowered car.
well this is my first honda/acura since 2002... and so far i have tried eibach, progress, tein, h&r, oem sport package(s) when it comes to lowering... but never megan. but then again never coils either. always springs and struts.

back when i had the 2002 ep3 civic si if i had any megan brand parts it seemed like people took it as a "ebay-ish" level of quality. perhaps i am wrong or perhaps i just got the wrong impression.

so here i am in 2013... non of my left over euro parts even come close to fit and the vendors im used to purchasing carry anything thing im interested in that fits... so perhaps i need to get my self familiar with few things over on this side before jumping on anything.

so far i have read good things about the megan set up from this forum and i was actually interested in it as well. but when i saw the price for them its almost same as tein ss... sort of. but that also doesnt mean teins are better either. personally so far im thinking about tokico and eibach pro kit... or koni and H&r. something about coils that scare me.

but right now the car is having so much issue that mods are gonna have to wait. my latest issue is the sunroof leakage and my headliner is stained big time.

this is my 13th car and i have never had a sunroof or panoramic roof leak.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
i agree with gonzo ball joints could be an issue.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Alright so i waited for the weather to warm up and have a consistant warm temp. since i ran into a TSB here on the forum that seems to relate to this issue so i decided that today was the day that i will deal with it and take it to the dealership.

it seemed like i wasnt going to do any suspension work anytime soon so i decided to take it into the dealer today.

my SA that i dealt with for the moonroof leak wasnt at work today so ended up getting another SA for this issue. when i explained the issue and showed him the TSB that i got from this forum, he basically told me he needs to see / hear / feel the problem.

it was evident even driving out of the service drive that the issue was noticeable. but as we all know with this issue that hot weather and longer drives make it worse so the "clunk" wasn't clear compared to me have been driving the car in heavy traffic for hr or so.

but either way SA accepted the issue and asked me to wait about an hour to see what the issue is. (still waiting ...)
Attached Files

Last edited by krnboy817; 05-20-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Instructor

just got denied. the tech said there was no issue and couldnt find anything wrong with the vehicle.

i have spent more than enough time with both SA and tech on a test drive and i couldnt make it convincible for either one of them.

a part of me is thinking about considering an accord now...
Old 07-01-2013, 04:29 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up a 2013 TSX v4 w/Tech, and I was hearing the issue as well. I had 200 miles on it before taking it in to the dealer. I dropped off the car, and an hour later they call me saying they could not reproduce the sound. So I went in and drove the car with the tech and we were able to reproduce the issue.

The dealer just called me and said there was a TSB about front ball joints, so im assuming its the one posted here. Now they are order the neccessary parts to fix it. I drove the car 3 days, and its been sitting at the dealer for 4. But im suppose to get the car back Wednesday, ill keep you posted if the issue is fixed.

So worst case, why not try a different dealer?
Old 07-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have this same issuie in the rear of my 05 tl after I lowered it ....its driving me freaking nuts!!!..help me out what do yall think it is???
Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NuEoK
I just picked up a 2013 TSX v4 w/Tech, and I was hearing the issue as well. I had 200 miles on it before taking it in to the dealer. I dropped off the car, and an hour later they call me saying they could not reproduce the sound. So I went in and drove the car with the tech and we were able to reproduce the issue.

The dealer just called me and said there was a TSB about front ball joints, so im assuming its the one posted here. Now they are order the neccessary parts to fix it. I drove the car 3 days, and its been sitting at the dealer for 4. But im suppose to get the car back Wednesday, ill keep you posted if the issue is fixed.

So worst case, why not try a different dealer?
there is only two dealerships near where i live... both of them about 15 - 20 min drive... i have purchased the car at one of them and had the moon roof leak fixed at the other.

one i bought the car from i do not trust since they at first try to sell me a car with only one key calling the valet key the second set.
then took 4 weeks and 3 visits to get the second key in my hands working.

the one i got the leak fixed seemed ok but after few days... new headliner replaced had same water stains as before and finger prints of the guy who worked on my car everywhere. i actually took the car to this dealership and left it for 2 days and only to be told that we cant find the issue. then i showed them the TSB and was told they never seen it before or heard of this TSB. then took them for a test drive and was told it was a caliper releasing delay... obviously my calipers are so damn strong it can be felt through the floor of my vehicle when it releases.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:47 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer just called, said they replace the part in question and the noise is still there.. now they are stumped. My dome light issue, not fixed since its intermittent. Basically they had the car for over a week and no progress at all.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also posted in another thread. I had the lower ball joints replaced last week according to the TSB and the problem is now fixed. The suspension now feels a lot more "luxurious." I made sure that I can replicate the problem before I brought the car in. I found that the noise & thump are amplified (1) when it is really hot outside and (2) after the car has been running for a while in stop-and-go traffic.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
I'm having this problem in my '09. What years does the TSB cover?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
I'm having this problem in my '09. What years does the TSB cover?
Dont think its part of powertrain but covered within basic warranty. Not sure if the bulletin applies to 09 but as long as you are still within basic then you are covered for whatever your issue is.

Last edited by gonzo08452; 07-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
Crap. I always thought TSB's were performed for free even if your out of warranty, depending on the dealership of course. I have an extended warranty through the used car dealership where I purchased my car so I'll just bring it to them if Acura denies me.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
Crap. I always thought TSB's were performed for free even if your out of warranty, depending on the dealership of course. I have an extended warranty through the used car dealership where I purchased my car so I'll just bring it to them if Acura denies me.
TSBs =/= Recall