2010 TSX V6 Starts with a THUD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KMU9728, you need to consult with a lemon law lawyer ASAP. If you have a lawyer for other purposes, ask for a reference. I think even though they may have fixed it, it took too long. Diminished value is a serious concern. If you attempt to sell such a new car, someone may ask for a repair history. Also, they damaged your car. It will be harder to sell which decreases the value. Honda may offer you diminished value compensation even if you don't use a lawyer. Like I said, in Maryland, they added a fee shifting provision to the law so the consumer's legal fees are paid by the manufacturer, unless of course you break the rules and attempt to negotiate with honda or the dealer behind the lawyer's back. I received the first offer from Honda within two weeks. I'm guessing they take you more seriously when you use a lawyer.

I have to say, my dealer has done a fairly good job avoiding damaging the car during all the repairs. My service advisor has been great to work with. They got some grease stains on the A pillar covers and sun shade during the first attempt and didn't hesitate to replace them. I didn't even need to ask. When I mentioned that their contractor glued the sunroof glass to the rubber during the last attempt, they offered to replace the entire sunroof, though he did need to talk to his manager. They have spent a ton on this car. After the next repair (scheduled for next week), they will have replaced the headliner (twice), the passenger's side A pillar cover, the drain pan, the sunroof, one sun visor and the sun shade (twice). My cost for all these parts would be around $2,500. Not sure what it costs Acura or the dealer, don't care.

I think the root cause of our problems is a defective sunroof. The week after I got the car, the entire front of the sunroof rubber separated from the glass. I never touched it. In that case, they just pushed the rubber back on the glass. I spoke to other dealers and my local honda tech I've been using for 15 years and they all said the same thing. The rubber should be bonded to the glass at the factory. It should never have come off so easily and if it did, they would replace the entire sunroof. The sunroof is not field repairable, though my dealer either didn't know this or didn't care.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

kmu9728, I got my car back yesterday. They replaced the sunroof, headliner, sun shade, passenger sun visor and both A pillar covers. Funny thing is they left stickers on the sunroof saying "made in japan" and "only to be removed by the customer" Not sure what's up with that except maybe proof that the sunroof was replaced? They did a fantastic job putting everything together and detailed the interior and exterior. And now we wait for a few big storms. It didn't leak when they washed it, but everyone agreed to wait for a few big storms before we close the lemon case. If it doesn't leak, I take the compensation and if it does, they swap the car or buy it back, my choice. I'm hoping it doesn't leak since I'm worn out dealing with this and who knows, the replacement car could also have problems. And so we wait... Did you look into the lemon law in your state?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sgfitzs
kmu9728, I got my car back yesterday. They replaced the sunroof, headliner, sun shade, passenger sun visor and both A pillar covers. Funny thing is they left stickers on the sunroof saying "made in japan" and "only to be removed by the customer" Not sure what's up with that except maybe proof that the sunroof was replaced? They did a fantastic job putting everything together and detailed the interior and exterior. And now we wait for a few big storms. It didn't leak when they washed it, but everyone agreed to wait for a few big storms before we close the lemon case. If it doesn't leak, I take the compensation and if it does, they swap the car or buy it back, my choice. I'm hoping it doesn't leak since I'm worn out dealing with this and who knows, the replacement car could also have problems. And so we wait... Did you look into the lemon law in your state?
Coinsidently, I had this same issue. My wife's car was at the dealer for exactly 28 days with the same sunroof leak. Ultimately, first the drip came from the outside roof rail drip moldings. After it was cleaned and resealed, There was still a leak. Then they found leaking from the right side of the sunroof. Rust was found by the weather striper. They replaced the sunroof and no more leak. Then they replaced the headliner. At the end, they sent the car to a body shop for seam sealer application on the drip rails. Two weeks later and 4 days of straight downpours and no more leakage.
I can totally relate to the aggrevation. I was talking to my lawyer regarding the car being a lemon since this was the second attempt to get it fixed. But at the end, what mattered to me is that the car got fixed.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys has any one experienced a noise from the fuse pannel (i think). So what happens is when I turn the key to start position and my fuel guage goes up then turn to start the enging I hear a noise coming from bottom left under the dash. But the car does start all okay its just that noise from the fuse pannel.

Is there some thing I can do or do I have to take it to the dealer?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
guys as I was browsing this site I came across this post:
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745855
seems like its the same issue I am experiencing. Solution in that post is to replace battery but if that is the case I am surprised a car with only 27,500KM needs battery to be replaced.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM
2014 MDX, 2011 Audi B8 S4

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Paint Quality on the TSX sucks ...period!!!!I started this thread on the main forum. I think Acura put maybe one thin layer of Clear Coat on this car!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
which thread are you on?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by the_razor
guys as I was browsing this site I came across this post:
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745855
seems like its the same issue I am experiencing. Solution in that post is to replace battery but if that is the case I am surprised a car with only 27,500KM needs battery to be replaced.
this isn't your problem. his problem also involved not being able to start the car. as you have said, your car starts fine. i would just take it to the dealer and see what they think.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 PM
Cruisin'

[quote=sgfitzs;12228490]KMU9728, you need to consult with a lemon law lawyer ASAP. If you have a lawyer for other purposes, ask for a reference. I think even though they may have fixed it, it took too long. Diminished value is a serious concern. If you attempt to sell such a new car, someone may ask for a repair history. Also, they damaged your car. It will be harder to sell which decreases the value. Honda may offer you diminished value compensation even if you don't use a lawyer. Like I said, in Maryland, they added a fee shifting provision to the law so the consumer's legal fees are paid by the manufacturer, unless of course you break the rules and attempt to negotiate with honda or the dealer behind the lawyer's back. I received the first offer from Honda within two weeks. I'm guessing they take you more seriously when you use a lawyer.]

I haven't found a lawyer to talk to yet, but hopefully I can get a reference soon.

Since they replaced the moonroof, it has yet to rain even once while I have been at work (the only location it leaked before), but the car was out at home in one good storm with no new leaking. It's just been so extremely dry over the past month that it hasn't had a good test yet. I'm hopeful (yet skeptical) that the new moonroof will solve the problem.

In reply to your carfax comment. When I put in my VIN, it says there are 10 reports!?! I don't even know what has been done that would constitute 10 reports thus far! I guess my dealer is one of the ones that reports everything
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GbosilTLS07
Paint Quality on the TSX sucks ...period!!!!I started this thread on the main forum. I think Acura put maybe one thin layer of Clear Coat on this car!!!!
This is a response I got from a detailing expert when I told them about the issues with Acura paint job:
"If you think the Acura owners aren’t happy about chips, go talk to the Caramo owners from Camaro5. Ride height, paint color, the vehicle’s design, where you live, and how you drive all affect chips: but it’s much easier to point the blame elsewhere. If anything, I’d say if there truly is a chipping problem; it’s because of adhesion issues with water-based base-coats. When base coats were still solvent based, the primer surfacer, base-coat, and clear-coat were all solvent based which means they all bond extremely well to each other. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that clear-coating over the new water based paint isn’t allowing for the same level of adhesion. Without insiders at places like DuPont or PPG chiming in to shed a little light (which they’ll never do as it may cause warranty issues to the manufacturers using their paint systems), we’ll likely never know."

Point is that the quality of the paint is more influenced by the new EPA standards than the manufactuer's paint process.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Intermediate

KMU9728, I would pay for the report. Mine still shows one report, which is most likely the registration entry. We had lots of rain the two weeks after they replaced the sunroof and no leaks. One storm dumped over three inches of rain, no leaks. I parked the car in various directions and drove the car in a heavy downpour, no leaks. They ran it through a car wash and I washed it twice, no leaks. I really think they got a bad batch of sunroofs. The pattern seems to be consistent. Once the sunroof is replaced, no more leaks. Why can't Acura put the pieces of the puzzle together?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2009 Acura TSX that I noticed leaks sometimes after storms from the assembly where the rearview mirror and the dome lights are. Leak only seems to appear when the car is parked outside our house, downhill. But I don't think the leak should *ever* appear. Is the work described on this thread (replacing sunroof tray, headliner) covered under warranty?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Cruisin'

All of my work was completed under warranty, but I had to bring it in multiple times with this problem before they would even attempt to do anything to fix it.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

Same here, all work done under warranty and I received $5K from Acura as part of the lemon law settlement.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM
10th Gear

In response to jacksont: I have had the same issue with the clunking noise when starting my TSX V6. Since the car did this from the first test drive I thought it was normal. I'm curious to see what my dealer says about this.