2010 Vortex Blue <3

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
i redid it a while ago, but never put up good pics. here is my grill fully plasti'd instead of just the blade in previous pics

Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
i redid it a while ago, but never put up good pics. here is my grill fully plasti'd instead of just the blade in previous pics

looks much better this way IMO
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NYCROBTSX
looks much better this way IMO
agreed
Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Safety Car

i concur as well, thats why i have kept it this way Niv, im still waitin for you to post pics of your plasti attempt!!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
nice job dave. i like this way better too.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
For sure, much better look!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey, once one of you guys that pull your bumpers off 3x a week does it again you should make a quick video for people like me who are afraid as hell of breaking some clips can do it with some confidence. Working off of a schematic view of how the bumper is held on can't convey the "ripping off gently" motion that everyone speaks of.

And pyro, love your car man. The plastidip black really accents the blue really, really nice.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Im sure pyro can make a video for you... There is a 1st gen tsx video on youtube, it's honestly the same exact process.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JordanTSX
Hey, once one of you guys that pull your bumpers off 3x a week does it again you should make a quick video for people like me who are afraid as hell of breaking some clips can do it with some confidence. Working off of a schematic view of how the bumper is held on can't convey the "ripping off gently" motion that everyone speaks of.

And pyro, love your car man. The plastidip black really accents the blue really, really nice.
actually i have several pics, and partial vid i believe, moaarlow has a few of the pics from when i took his off. i'll make a new thread i wont have time to do it until wed. i can tell you exactly how to do it though, if you want i can post directions here, or you can PM me

and thank you, i completely agree, the black accents set off the blue perfectly and dont provide the extremely sharp contrast of the chrome. i'll be doing door handles and window trim soon
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM
mugen cu2

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts
grill looks awesome man
Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced

actually i have several pics, and partial vid i believe, moaarlow has a few of the pics from when i took his off. i'll make a new thread i wont have time to do it until wed. i can tell you exactly how to do it though, if you want i can post directions here, or you can PM me

and thank you, i completely agree, the black accents set off the blue perfectly and dont provide the extremely sharp contrast of the chrome. i'll be doing door handles and window trim soon
Tell me how this goes. I really would love to have all chrome on the exterior plastidipped just as you are talking about but am weary as to how well they would hold up somewhere like the door handles where there is constant friction on rubbing going on. I guess in the end it doesn't matter cause if it gets messed, just peel that bitch off
Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JordanTSX
Tell me how this goes. I really would love to have all chrome on the exterior plastidipped just as you are talking about but am weary as to how well they would hold up somewhere like the door handles where there is constant friction on rubbing going on. I guess in the end it doesn't matter cause if it gets messed, just peel that bitch off
yea, it should be done sometime in may, i'll be sure to post up pics. i'll be doing 6-7 coats for the handles probably, just to add th extra durability
Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

if you could post directions and pics that'd be awesome.

i'm not sure if the door handles plastidipped would look good. will give my opinion after you get it done. i do like the chrome contrasts to the VBP though...is it just me?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced

I think that there is a bit of a difference between a plastidip on black vs a paint match on black. The paint match kind of blends together whereas the plastidip gives a nice matte contrast to the black paint of the car. I think I can stand by Dave and say that the matte black would look awesome on the chrome accents. Once getting rid of the chrome on the front face, the only chrome on the car is on the sides and it doesn't really compliment anything else on the car IMO.

And yes, I would love love love to see pics and vids. I know its similar to the 1gen process and that you can view manuals all you want, but till you see someone doing it in a video or a step by step process then you can go in a lot more confidently with this kind of thing. I'm just simply too damn cautious to tear or mess something up without having complete confidence in what I'm doing and I've already looked through all those resources and still feel like I'd be taking a leap of faith just ripping that bitch off.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrstak
if you could post directions and pics that'd be awesome.

i'm not sure if the door handles plastidipped would look good. will give my opinion after you get it done. i do like the chrome contrasts to the VBP though...is it just me?
VBP is just overall sex in a can. i think black accents would look nicer than chrome though. me and my boy are actually gonna start a lil business out of this, and i'll be plastidipping for people, since apparently im good at it. not sure about prices yet. whatever they are, azine discount will probably be somewhere around 20%. i'll be doing wheels, emblems, grills, trim. probably even whole car. turn around should be a day or 2 for most things except full car. 30 warranty, if it starts peeling or something because of me, i will redo it free. if you curb the wheel, not my fault kinda thing, but i'd probably do redo's for a bit cheaper
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

just got my baby back today, she looks great. i'll be fixing up the plasti at school tomorrow, then new pics =D
Old 05-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Pro

Received 541 Likes on 238 Posts
^ pics or it didn't happen!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by slickooz
^ pics or it didn't happen!
after i redo the plasti, shitty weather, so probably tom?? when we gonna foam+clay my car?? =D
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
hey dave just read most of your thread and its crazy because most of it is about plasti dip....lol

i wish i was like you but i dont have the balls to plasti dip my wheels.
Would you happen to know who is a "pro" at this in the tri-state area so i can take my hpt 19's to get done,for my winter look.i want that lexus is-f gunmetal sparkle look for the wheel finish
Old 05-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aspecallday
hey dave just read most of your thread and its crazy because most of it is about plasti dip....lol

i wish i was like you but i dont have the balls to plasti dip my wheels.
Would you happen to know who is a "pro" at this in the tri-state area so i can take my hpt 19's to get done,for my winter look.i want that lexus is-f gunmetal sparkle look for the wheel finish
shoot me a PM. my friend and i will have a summer business doing plasti. wheels, emblems, grill, anything. the garage is in north jersey
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
ok i will when im ready, right now im not in a rush since i have my summer setup

thanks for hitting me back,will def hit up in the near future.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 PM
ROTAREDOM

I will be pissed if you charge this guy to plastidip his wheels. That's practically steeling.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

broke college kid has to make money some how...amiright dave?

btw, i'd double check how the gunmetal plastidip looks...i'm under the impression everything plastidip'd will be a matte kind of color...if you're looking for shiny sparkle...plastidip might not be for you.

on that matter, has anyone tried any other plastidip color other than black??
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
there's a plasti dip glossifier. but still doesnt provide that super gloss look tho
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 PM
ROTAREDOM

Stak... my wheels are metallic. It has a sparkle, but I think I am going to put a clear coat on it to give a little more shine!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
I will be pissed if you charge this guy to plastidip his wheels. That's practically steeling.
I dont see anything against charging money. I know its easy to everyone whos done it before, but so is replacing a bumper or changing a tire to people like me. To people its not, you get charged insane prices to have it done. If he does a quality job and charges a reasonable amount then its the service and peace of mind having it done right that they'll be paying for.

Last edited by opboarding; 05-07-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Stak... my wheels are metallic. It has a sparkle, but I think I am going to put a clear coat on it to give a little more shine!
On mine I used some of the tire shine since I was already was using on my tires. Just sprayed the foam on a rag and went over the whole rim. I feel like it gave it a little better of a look and not so matte. Or maybe it was just really dirty before
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM
ROTAREDOM

^ yes this is true! that is what I have been doing as well lol. And it does look shiny-er but only for a couple days. We think the same haha cause I was like ehh what the hell and sprayed my wheels too, although I think it collects dirt more cause of the oil.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by opboarding
I dont see anything against charging money. I know its easy to everyone whos done it before, but so is replacing a bumper or changing a tire to people like me. To people its not, you get charged insane prices to have it done. If he does a quality job and charges a reasonable amount then its the service and peace of mind having it done right that they'll be paying for.
yea, i'll be charging pretty reasonable prices, somewhere around 100-150 for all 4 wheels matte black. and i'll be backing it with 30 day warranty, if it peels or anything cause i didn't do it perfectly, i'll redo it free(i'd actually lose some money cause i have to pay for plasti, prep materials).

Originally Posted by opboarding
On mine I used some of the tire shine since I was already was using on my tires. Just sprayed the foam on a rag and went over the whole rim. I feel like it gave it a little better of a look and not so matte. Or maybe it was just really dirty before
yea, logically tire shine would work. plasti is rubber, just like the tire. the gloss should add considerable gloss though, and you can spray paint anything over the plasti, theres just a special process for that. did it to my friends spare rim on his beemer to try it out, still peeled off like plasti.

and yea, i really don't see a problem with charging to do plasti. if you do, you should also have a problem with those who charge to paint/powdercoat your wheels. everything that can be done on a car, you can DIY if you have the balls and tools, and to do it right, you need experience. i have a knack for plasti, and do a good job of making it very smooth, slickooz can vouch for that. i intend to charge very reasonable prices, and there will be certain discounts which i have to calculate. azine will get a discount, as well as military and emergency services officers. my friend is also very good at wiring, he installed all his own emergency lights, so we may do some of that.

i haven't charged people to help out on their car, like kait or moaar low when i removed their bumpers, installed their fogs and removed the resonator. im sure i could have easily asked 20-50 bucks to do all that, but i did it as a favor, because i hope that when i need a small favor and someone can easily do it, i hope that they would lol
Old 05-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Safety Car

just a random pic for now while still suffering from shitty weather in the tristate. this is how i park on campus. spots are tight, fuck door dings ;D Security knows me and my car already

Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

pics? is it noticeable through pics or is it one of those "see in person" to really see it? i think i'm just stuck on the whole "matte" look of plastidip cuz i've never seen a glossy plastidip job.

just a random pic for now while still suffering from shitty weather in the tristate. this is how i park on campus. spots are tight, fuck door dings ;D Security knows me and my car already

LOL dave...of course you would park there...
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Safety Car

Hahahaha back in high school I parked on the teachers side of the lot, there were two rows of cars facing each other, I added on to that so I only had a car parked on 1 side and teachers don't go to their car much. They called me to the office daily and threatened to tow my car. I rofled at them, it became known as my spot. My boy started parking behind me. There was no way to tow my car without damaging it, stock height is low in the front, I reverse into spots, and fully engage my ebrake hahaha
Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM
ROTAREDOM

Its funny I said anything about charging to dip cause my boss asked me to dip his BMW haha. He said he would buy me a 24 pack lol. But what I really meant was, with plastidip you cant mess up cause it peels off so there is no "scary" part of doing it. That's all I was saying, usually you pay for a service because it is too time consuming/annoying/ or reasonable risk of messing something up and costing you more money than you would have to get it done by someone else in the first place(like clearing out headlights). But for real, if your good at it and people want you to do it for them then go for it. Seems like a fun summer employment, getting paid to do shit you enjoy.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Safety Car

Its funny I said anything about charging to dip cause my boss asked me to dip his BMW haha. He said he would buy me a 24 pack lol. But what I really meant was, with plastidip you cant mess up cause it peels off so there is no "scary" part of doing it. That's all I was saying, usually you pay for a service because it is too time consuming/annoying/ or reasonable risk of messing something up and costing you more money than you would have to get it done by someone else in the first place(like clearing out headlights). But for real, if your good at it and people want you to do it for them then go for it. Seems like a fun summer employment, getting paid to do shit you enjoy.
i understand what your saying, but many things, people just don't want to get their hands dirty. cleaning and prepping the wheels, then trying to apply a couple smooth coats, waiting for each to dry. people are lazy, and will pay for it. the same reason i make money in the winter shoveling driveways. i've seen plenty of capable men give me money because they are just too lazy. i've even seen guys tell me "try to get it done quick, im gonna run to the store so my wife thinks im doing it"
Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

First thing I thought when I read that was "oh sweet a 24 pack of plasti dip! That'll leave so much left over for you to keep!"
Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 PM
ROTAREDOM

hahaha I was hoping more like 24 of corona lol. But I wouldn't mind 24 of plasti either!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Safety Car

more random pics while i wait for a nice day to wash and photoshoot

Last edited by PyroDave; 05-17-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:25 AM
Safety Car

just a lil teaser from my photoshoot, few more pics to come after they get editted a bit =)

Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 89 Posts
Tinted tailights would set it off IMO
Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

dave the repairs look good. the paint looks better than the old ones u showed me. hahah what did they end up doing in the shop?

Quick Reply: 2010 Vortex Blue <3