Takeda cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cmasterchoe
AustinJay, I know you posted a video of your car accelerating quickly, but could you also post a sound test of just normal driving? Just wondering how loud it gets in a cabin under normal load.
It isn't loud at all. If you want to know, remove your intake resonator. I did, and the only time you know I'm coming is when I get on it. The heavier the load the deeper the sound. Hard to explain. Remove your resonator and see for yourself. If you are thinking of getting a CAI you will have to remove it anymay.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet. I'll give it a try.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Racer

how's the butt dyno?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Racer

Takeda's website is updated, looks like the intake is $329, and still says it is for 08-09 TSX's
Old 04-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Advanced

whats there website called again?
Old 04-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Jimmy Hoffa was found in

Originally Posted by kristy7911
Takeda's website is updated, looks like the intake is $329, and still says it is for 08-09 TSX's
i don't know this Takeda thing and why it says it's for "08-09"
we should hold on and see what AEM or injen come up with.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Racer

www.takedausa.com

I think I am going to wait too. Anybody know if CT Engineering is planning on making an icebox for the car?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Hey guys! I'm new here and actually an Accord Euro (TSX) owner from Australia. I'm actually pretty excited about this intake for our car! Great news!!

But to be honest... I'm not too sure if this has been discussed by anyone here, as well all know this car's practically brand new, and I'm sure chances are, most of them purchased are under dealer's warranty still, and I'd hate to void the warranty in any way cause of modification. So from any of you guy's experience, what would you recommend?

I know changing air intake is a pretty basic modification, but i just don't want to give the dealer any chance to rob me off my warranty that's all. What part(apart from the actual intake/air box itself) would you guys say that changing the intake will affect? in terms of warranty wise of course.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Cruisin'

It shouldn't void it unless you suck in water. Not sure about you aussies, but we have strick carb regulations in california that it probly wouldn't pass either.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Racer

Hm, any idea if it is CARB legal?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Hm, any idea if it is CARB legal?
Nope. Definitely not. It is a big pain in the ass to get something carb legal. The people on the CA board of emissions should be shot. IMO

On a good note, I found out aFe is the company that makes the performance parts for TRD. Good stuff.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Instructor

See their short ram version isn't exactly THAT short, the filter bends downwards towards the same area where the CAI head towards, might not go down far enough but i think it's not too bad yeh?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
My account is about halfway setup with Takeda now. I am amped about these because I know how good of a product aFe makes!

Anyway, we will be able to offer you guys some discounts off that $329 (not tons, but hey something is better than nothing!)

CT IS working on an Icebox but it is going to be kinda pricey too from what I hear. Either way I'd EXPECT the takeda to produce more power in the end.
Marcus
Old 04-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Racer

I am still interested to see what CT comes out with. At the very least I would be more comfortable buying something from a company that has been producing parts for acuras for awhile...
Old 04-08-2009, 02:24 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinJay
Nope. Definitely not. It is a big pain in the ass to get something carb legal. The people on the CA board of emissions should be shot. IMO.
Are you sure they aren't going to apply for it? Most all manufacturers I'm familiar with get an EO#.

Originally Posted by AustinJay
On a good note, I found out aFe is the company that makes the performance parts for TRD. Good stuff.
I installed a TRD CAI on my 07 TRD SE FJ, and yes, I was impressed with it. The sleeving was a little mushy compared to the turbo sleeving that is fiber impregnated, but they never ripped.

kristy7911
I am still interested to see what CT comes out with. At the very least I would be more comfortable buying something from a company that has been producing parts for acuras for awhile...
I know Austin has a working relationship with AFE and all, and I don't want to crash the thread but...yeah, CTE's rumored Icebox intake overcomes inherent design shortcomings and does provide a couple of additional benefits from any tube & filter intake.

1) It's a CAI without moving the filter into the boxed area of the front bumper cover which makes it a PITA to clean.

2) It has a built in bypass valve that allows air to displace water without an (optional) inline bypass valve that most tube & filter systems use. Also, you have to make two cuts in a tube & filter system in order to install the bypass valve.

3) I've not seen any of CTE's product (except for race headers & a couple of race-only bits) that *don't* have a C.A.R.B. Exemption Order.

4) It's available through Honda/Acura dealerships rendering any warranty denial attempts moot.

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 04-08-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty

I know Austin has a working relationship with AFE and all, and I don't want to crash the thread but...yeah, CTE's rumored Icebox intake overcomes inherent design shortcomings and does provide a couple of additional benefits from any tube & filter intake.

1) It's a CAI without moving the filter into the boxed area of the front bumper cover which makes it a PITA to clean.

2) It has a built in bypass valve that allows air to displace water without an (optional) inline bypass valve that most tube & filter systems use. Also, you have to make two cuts in a tube & filter system in order to install the bypass valve.

3) I've not seen any of CTE's product (except for race headers & a couple of race-only bits) that *don't* have a C.A.R.B. Exemption Order.

4) It's available through Honda/Acura dealerships rendering any warranty denial attempts moot.

1- yes definately a benefit

2- handy but I wonder who really needs this besides people likely to get caught in flash floods more than 1-2 feet high? And if you are in a situation like that hydroloc might be least of your concern. Anyone else should be able to avoid fording streams with their TSX.

3- Certainly well made items to be sure. We have a good working relationship with CT. On another note, its funny how this new community refers to them as CT/CTE when most of the rest of acruazine still refer to them as Comptech. No point, just interesting to me. I still don't even really call it CT

4- DO NOT BE FOOLED. CT is not the same as TRD, or Dinan. TRD parts are essentially factory parts, produced and distributed by Toyota. Dinan products distributed through and installed at Dinan dealers are covered by the manufacturer's warranty on the car, BUT THE REPAIRS ARE DONE AT THE EXPENSE OF DINAN, not BMW. Therefore the manufacturer's warranty is replaced by the Dinan one when a Dinan part fails. CT themselves do not have a deal specifically with Honda of America that their product will receive warranty coverage. You can only expect warranty coverage if you purchase and have installed the CT item at the dealer. And even then, you'll probably only get consideration from the individual dealer where you went. Dealer warranty coverage is completely elective on the dealer's part. In these times, HMC has been cracking down on excess and frivolous warranty claims. While we do not feel any of CT (or Takeda, or anything else we sell) products will cause vehicle reliability issues, do not count on having unanimous warranty coverage question by any given dealer!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Racer

my bf and his dad have been big into Comptech for quite awhile (his dads 02 TL type S still has a Comptech icebox). Their previous experience is part of the reason I would like to wait.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
2- handy but I wonder who really needs this besides people likely to get caught in flash floods more than 1-2 feet high? And if you are in a situation like that hydroloc might be least of your concern. Anyone else should be able to avoid fording streams with their TSX.
I'm not sure where you live, but here in Florida, we get some hellacious tropical downpours that can turn a regular neighborhood street into standing water 1/2 way up your calf.

3- Certainly well made items to be sure. We have a good working relationship with CT. On another note, its funny how this new community refers to them as CT/CTE when most of the rest of acruazine still refer to them as Comptech. No point, just interesting to me. I still don't even really call it CT
Yeah, I know, I still fly the Comptech Sport banner in the garage. It's just that if someone goes looking for Comptech USA from old posts, they're gonna get the wrong place.

4- DO NOT BE FOOLED. CT is not the same as TRD, or Dinan. TRD parts are essentially factory parts, produced and distributed by Toyota. Dinan products distributed through and installed at Dinan dealers are covered by the manufacturer's warranty on the car, BUT THE REPAIRS ARE DONE AT THE EXPENSE OF DINAN, not BMW. Therefore the manufacturer's warranty is replaced by the Dinan one when a Dinan part fails. CT themselves do not have a deal specifically with Honda of America that their product will receive warranty coverage. You can only expect warranty coverage if you purchase and have installed the CT item at the dealer. And even then, you'll probably only get consideration from the individual dealer where you went. Dealer warranty coverage is completely elective on the dealer's part. In these times, HMC has been cracking down on excess and frivolous warranty claims. While we do not feel any of CT (or Takeda, or anything else we sell) products will cause vehicle reliability issues, do not count on having unanimous warranty coverage question by any given dealer!
No product can be given carte blanche warranty coverage because it *could* be proven that the part in question caused the failure of the component that's seeking coverage. By the same token, we all know the Magnusson-Moss Act dictates it can't be denied without proving in writing that it did. The fact that the stuff was always intended to be sold in the H/A dealerships lends a lot of weight to the product being credible, and produced with real-world, safe & reliable engineering (if installed correctly) for the reasons I listed in the other post.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor

my bf and his dad have been big into Comptech for quite awhile (his dads 02 TL type S still has a Comptech icebox). Their previous experience is part of the reason I would like to wait.
That is sounds reasoning. Keep in mind the ownership has changed, but the company still operates under the same philosophies. They are every bit as good now as they've always been Personally, I like their products too

However, I'd be cautious not to consider the "new guy" might not be equal or better in many respects. I'd get the CT part because you like the part better, not JUST because you like the company.

Marcus
Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm not sure where you live, but here in Florida, we get some hellacious tropical downpours that can turn a regular neighborhood street into standing water 1/2 way up your calf.
Well, I live in the other sunny state...but perhaps I take for granted the fact that we don't get tropical storms. Or floods. Or rain for that matter. Touche.

No product can be given carte blanche warranty coverage because it *could* be proven that the part in question caused the failure of the component that's seeking coverage. By the same token, we all know the Magnusson-Moss Act dictates it can't be denied without proving in writing that it did. The fact that the stuff was always intended to be sold in the H/A dealerships lends a lot of weight to the product being credible, and produced with real-world, safe & reliable engineering (if installed correctly) for the reasons I listed in the other post.
I agree with you completely. Yet having come from the perspective of a dealership (where I spent many years in both parts and service departments for Honda) I can say that if and when it comes time to bring the car in to the dealer they can say all kinds of things and be a pain in the butt. To your point, the odds of having a problem are minor if non-existent. But we don't want to give people a false sense of security.

The point being, people will make purchases based on the logic you've outlined for peace of mind, but when it comes down to it you have the same possibility of getting hard time with anything you have installed. Even though CT parts were originally intended to be sold at dealers, that does not mean all dealers intend to look at CT the same way, or any differently than anything else. It depends on the specific dealer. Most of them have probably never heard of CT!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM

It depends on the specific dealer. Most of them have probably never heard of CT!
I'm with ya, the policies of each dealership vary even if they're in the same family. That extends to all aspects of the dealership, even on inconsequential stuff like window tinting, etc.

Never heard of CT? Shoot, with the turnover at those places, the other 1/2 of them probably haven't heard of Comptech USA either.

There is a relationship at a higher level though, and just taking into account these intakes, I think the icebox is a better design that would go a long way to close any loopholes a service manager or regional rep might bring to light. (i.e. no need for a bypass)
Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is CT?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
CT Engineering = CompTech

CompTech restructured or reorganized and they renamed it to CT Engineering
Old 04-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Never heard of CT? Shoot, with the turnover at those places, the other 1/2 of them probably haven't heard of Comptech USA either.
LOL! True!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Cruisin'

Does anyone else have any information on Takeda? I am really looking to buy an intake as you all are too. Is it best to wait?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

If they are a branch off AFE, then I would think its a good product, but they are newcomers to Honda/Acura. I also think that 329 is steep for any brand, and especially for a no-name. Why are they using a fake japanese name to begin with? why not stick with AFE?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2G Type-S
If they are a branch off AFE, then I would think its a good product, but they are newcomers to Honda/Acura. I also think that 329 is steep for any brand, and especially for a no-name. Why are they using a fake japanese name to begin with? why not stick with AFE?
Personal opinion? One could put dog poop in a box, label it JDM and sell it on eBay to *someone*.

Same example like Hedman using Chikara (I think it was Hedman headers that did this.) to make it sound Japanese. There's quite a few examples in the market.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Cruisin'

Why is it so hard to find a damn CAI for an 09 TSX. Seriously so basically as of now we have 1 option?
The following users liked this post:
Sachin179 (08-15-2019)
Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Instructor

Does the resonator have any filters in it and will there be a water intrusion problem if the resonator is removed? I remember someone saying they think the front bumper must come off to remove it? Will you not get the cold air intake since it is removed?

Also, I asked my service tech if the warranty is voided due to the installation of a CAI, and he said no, however if they have to do diagnostic work, and the problem comes out to be the CAI (creates rough idleing or difficult starts), or if it is difficult to remove to get to some other warranty fix, then you will have to pay for the additional labor cost.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 09TSXMN
Does the resonator have any filters in it and will there be a water intrusion problem if the resonator is removed?
Nah, if you remove it you will get more sound and maybe some more power but the opening is lower than the one in the engine compartment. Speaking of which, if you were to pull that little rectangular cover off of the tube next to the radiator and put your hand over it, you'll experience how much vacuum is being pulled through there. I'm *thinking* that is not a vent to displace water, but rather the intake itself.

I remember someone saying they think the front bumper must come off to remove it? ?
Essentially. You should be able to loosen the fender liner, the outer bumper cover bolt & loosen the grill retainer clips enough to pull the bumper cover away from the fender & headlight in order to access the resonator bolts. Be careful, don't bend the cover (obviously).

Will you not get the cold air intake since it is removed?
Yes...I have it on good advice the stock intake system is very restrictive, but don't know which part of it is the most restrictive. Is it the resonator assembly or the airbox & intake tubing?

Try it. PM me for details on bumper cover loosening/removal and resonator retainer bolt locations.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Thanks HeavyDuty for taking the time answering all of the questions. I will give it a go. I don't think this will upset the MAP sensor, do you? I really want to install a CAI, but I have limited experience in this, so I will wait until others with more try it and advise us. Again, thank much!
Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM
6th Gear

im looking to buy one this week
Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2G Type-S
http://neiltjin.wordpress.com/2009/04/06/takeda/

aFe has been in the intake/filtration business for 10 years, and the project manager also owns Injen Technology and was one of the founders. JDM guys are not going to want to buy aFe since they are about Diesel, Trucks, and BMW's. Takeda was born purely to service the import aftermarket (some domestic).
Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrboomboom
im looking to buy one this week
I should have some here shortly, will make an announcement once they are on the shelf

Marcus
Old 04-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the coupon code! i'll be sure to use it when heeltoe gets an intake
Old 04-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Just a heads up, we have become a Master Distributor for Takeda. We have a very large shipment of intakes shipping out shortly. We will get them listed on the web store shortly.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:42 AM
Jimmy Hoffa was found in

guys..i put in an order for the TaKeda *Link, a combination short ram and cold air intake that can be converted to either style.

i'm getting it for $289.00 w/free shipping @RideTuner.com

Old 04-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. Great price. How long did they say it would take to ship?

Originally Posted by fritoLay
guys..i put in an order for the TaKeda *Link, a combination short ram and cold air intake that can be converted to either style.

i'm getting it for $289.00 w/free shipping @RideTuner.com

Old 04-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Jimmy Hoffa was found in

it's will be 6-9 business days before i get my hands on those babies
Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Instructor

^^^Be sure to get a 0 - 60 and 5 - 60 before and after time on your car so we can see how it helps

Quick Reply: Takeda cold air intake