CT-Engineering Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I keep hearing that some of the Civic SI stuff works but no one has tried it yet that I know of. Do you know if it does for sure?

We didn't have to do anything with the cat. It only happened when we tried the 3.1 pulley. At least that what CT-E said, and they sent both pulley's with my car. I also pushed it pretty hard this weekend at our local Acurazine meet with no problems.

Check out the link some pretty cool cars

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=761076&page=4

Originally Posted by mucter
Just get one from a 06+ Civic Si and swap it in.

Curious, with the 3.3 pulley, did you guys do something about the cat on the back of the engine? When I talked to Doug, he told me that they had to limit the boost on your car because the cat caused the EGT to climb too much at higher boost.

As far as people's concerns on clutch/transmission... if you drive the car properly, it will be able to handle it just fine. I'm running 300tq/350hp through my stock clutch (which is built for 140tq/197hp) on my 08 Si, it's all the same ish.

I own an 08 Si and 09 TSX 6mt... they drive almost identically.

I'm guessing that eventually Derek will switch gears over to programming FlashPro to work on the CU2. He's still fairly focused on the Si and S2000 at this point though as far as I know. When that happens, the aftermarket for this car should esplode.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BOOSTED09TSX
I keep hearing that some of the Civic SI stuff works but no one has tried it yet that I know of. Do you know if it does for sure?

We didn't have to do anything with the cat. It only happened when we tried the 3.1 pulley. At least that what CT-E said, and they sent both pulley's with my car. I also pushed it pretty hard this weekend at our local Acurazine meet with no problems.

Check out the link some pretty cool cars

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=761076&page=4
It'd be very very weird if the differential wasn't a direct swap. With the correct shim, swap of your speed gear and the OEM bearings, I'd wager a large sum of money that it'd swap right in. Honda has always kept certain things like that the same size/design per engine series.

How much boost are you getting with the different pulleys? Someone needs to come out with a TP that replaces that damned cat... it's killing our top end. I'll bet you'd get 20hp up top just by removing it.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I check their site in hopes they will list it... when?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
It sounds logical, but remember how the 99-00 Si tranny used the LS LSD where the GSR used the Type R? There's really no correct way to swap diff bearings as you'd in all likelihood destroy the originals trying to remove them. Yes there's a scalloped scoop available but it's sketchy at best IMHE, I'd rather not take a chance and just use new bearings like I have in the past with the Quaife. IIRC, there's no shim in the B series FWD tranny's, just the bearing and speed gear swap.

Is the EGT thing a result of the cat being too close to the exhaust...bung? It really pisses me off that there's no exhaust manifold on this thing, ergo no header.

I had a 99 Si with 8psi Vortech aftercooled w/ 246/169, then bumped to 10psi and 6 years later the trans & ACT XTSS was still going strong. One has to really thrash a Honda MT to f it up.

I traded my 07 Si for this 09 TSX & they feel really different to me. Maybe it's my 42 yo flabby a$$.

Is Derek Hondata? I heard rumor that the KPro was now available for the CU2, no confirmation on that yet. Mase's shop is like 5 miles away from here, I was considering a cam/exhaust change & if that's correct, I'd be willing to give him a crack at tuning the KPro. From the little I know of him, he seems like a knowledgeable good guy.

Just get one from a 06+ Civic Si and swap it in.

Curious, with the 3.3 pulley, did you guys do something about the cat on the back of the engine? When I talked to Doug, he told me that they had to limit the boost on your car because the cat caused the EGT to climb too much at higher boost.

As far as people's concerns on clutch/transmission... if you drive the car properly, it will be able to handle it just fine. I'm running 300tq/350hp through my stock clutch (which is built for 140tq/197hp) on my 08 Si, it's all the same ish.

I own an 08 Si and 09 TSX 6mt... they drive almost identically.

I'm guessing that eventually Derek will switch gears over to programming FlashPro to work on the CU2. He's still fairly focused on the Si and S2000 at this point though as far as I know. When that happens, the aftermarket for this car should explode.

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 02-24-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
It sounds logical, but remember how the 99-00 Si tranny used the LS LSD where the GSR used the Type R? There's really no correct way to swap diff bearings as you'd in all likelihood destroy the originals trying to remove them. Yes there's a scalloped scoop available but it's sketchy at best IMHE, I'd rather not take a chance and just use new bearings like I have in the past with the Quaife. IIRC, there's no shim in the B series FWD tranny's, just the bearing and speed gear swap.

Is the EGT thing a result of the cat being too close to the exhaust...bung? It really pisses me off that there's no exhaust manifold on this thing, ergo no header.

I had a 99 Si with 8psi Vortech aftercooled w/ 246/169, then bumped to 10psi and 6 years later the trans & ACT XTSS was still going strong. One has to really thrash a Honda MT to f it up.

I traded my 07 Si for this 09 TSX & they feel really different to me. Maybe it's my 42 yo flabby a$$.

Is Derek Hondata? I heard rumor that the KPro was now available for the CU2, no confirmation on that yet. Mase's shop is like 5 miles away from here, I was considering a cam/exhaust change & if that's correct, I'd be willing to give him a crack at tuning the KPro. From the little I know of him, he seems like a knowledgeable good guy.
Cam shafts. Please give us more details. Is this something you would have custom ground or is someone coming out with cam shafts for this car???

What have you heard of DPR Heavy? Back in the day when I was on TOV Jeff had a 97 Prelude and had them do the stage VI head work with some very good results.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Racer

I wasn't implying that one would re-use the differential bearings. I was saying that if you used new differential bearings from a CU2, coupled with the proper shim (easy to measure and honda makes a variety for the k-series transmission), there should be no reason why it wouldn't be a direct swap.

To my knowledge, the 99-00 Si and the GSR had open differentials, not LSD's. Only the Type-R came with an LSD in USDM trim. It is/was a direct and easy swap to put a Type-R LSD into any b-series transmission though.

When I said the FG2 drives similarly to the CU2, I meant in clutch/transmission feel.

Derek is Hondata, yes. I speak with Doug and Derek (the co-owners of Hondata) regularly due to my involvement in the 8thgen Si community. I highly doubt they'll make "KPro" work with the CU2. It's a much higher likelihood that they'll release an updated "FlashPro" that supports the CU2. FlashPro works with the Can-bus in our cars, KPro does not.

FlashPro is a very different product to KPro and the two should not be confused. FlashPro is far cheaper and actually has superior features. It doesn't require you to send your ECU to Hondata and allows realtime tuning of your car. If they made it work on the CU2 it would be a HUGE deal.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Luchin
Cam shafts. Please give us more details. Is this something you would have custom ground or is someone coming out with cam shafts for this car???

What have you heard of DPR Heavy? Back in the day when I was on TOV Jeff had a 97 Prelude and had them do the stage VI head work with some very good results.
Dunno about K24 cam compatibility with the K20 stuff, but I was thinking about looking into it. If nothing else, something more punchy like the 1st gen TSX cams where VTEC was more pronounced. I spoke with Shad (formerly one of Comptech USA's engineers, if not lead) and he mentioned a company by the name of IPS(?) as an outstanding manufacturer of K cams.

Dan Par(r)amore was also very popular with the SR20 community back in the day. IIRC, he contributed to Searl Tate's B14 SR20DE(+T) project with Mike Kojima. He's another one of those scary smart dudes wherein a conversation with him is like trying to catch a 60mph freight train from a standing start.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:48 AM

I wasn't implying that one would re-use the differential bearings. I was saying that if you used new differential bearings from a CU2, coupled with the proper shim (easy to measure and honda makes a variety for the k-series transmission), there should be no reason why it wouldn't be a direct swap..
I gotcha, just wanted to clarify for the benefit of whomever is reading this, if nothing else. I know the purpose of the shims on a rwd diff, and may very well be there in a fwd one and I just don't particularly remember them, but as you mentioned they *would* be swapped over anyway into the donor case from where they came.

To my knowledge, the 99-00 Si and the GSR had open differentials, not LSD's. Only the Type-R came with an LSD in USDM trim. It is/was a direct and easy swap to put a Type-R LSD into any b-series transmission though..
You're correct in that the GSR and Si did have open diffs. But my point is and remains that the 99-00 Si B(16Ax) series tranny *would not* accept a Type R diff, OE or otherwise (ie; Quaife Type R) whereas the GSR tranny would. The Si diff (again, Quaife ATB) was a different unit. The purpose of bringing that to light was to open a line of communication with respect to what unit might be a viable LSD option for the CU2 transmission.

Derwood put to rest the question as to whether or not the earlier TSX BBK would swap into the CU2, and it does, so now we know. *If* that's not the case with the Si LSD, others need to be aware of that as well before they launch into it without knowing if it's a direct fit.

When I said the FG2 drives similarly to the CU2, I meant in clutch/transmission feel..
I'm curious and didn't explore when I had it, but does the 06> Si have a dual mass flywheel?

Derek is Hondata, yes. I speak with Doug and Derek (the co-owners of Hondata) regularly due to my involvement in the 8thgen Si community. I highly doubt they'll make "KPro" work with the CU2. It's a much higher likelihood that they'll release an updated "FlashPro" that supports the CU2. FlashPro works with the Can-bus in our cars, KPro does not.

FlashPro is a very different product to KPro and the two should not be confused. FlashPro is far cheaper and actually has superior features. It doesn't require you to send your ECU to Hondata and allows realtime tuning of your car. If they made it work on the CU2 it would be a HUGE deal.
I know from their site they're very tight-lipped on new releases. If the FlashPro is what makes sense for this app, then any news is good news. I guess we'll either get a reflash street program or tunable, or both, eventually.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Racer

Dunno about K24 cam compatibility with the K20 stuff, but I was thinking about looking into it. If nothing else, something more punchy like the 1st gen TSX cams where VTEC was more pronounced. I spoke with Shad (formerly one of Comptech USA's engineers, if not lead) and he mentioned a company by the name of IPS(?) as an outstanding manufacturer of K cams.

Dan Par(r)amore was also very popular with the SR20 community back in the day. IIRC, he contributed to Searl Tate's B14 SR20DE(+T) project with Mike Kojima. He's another one of those scary smart dudes wherein a conversation with him is like trying to catch a 60mph freight train from a standing start.
The big issue with cam compatibility on our car is the omission of VTEC on the exhaust side of the head. This eliminates the possibility of previous gen cams or any of the performance cams for the k20. The only mainstream engine we could potentially get cams from would be the k20a3, which wasn't exactly known for it's "performance"... I'm guessing cams would need to be custom ground for anything useful to be made.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Racer

I gotcha, just wanted to clarify for the benefit of whomever is reading this, if nothing else. I know the purpose of the shims on a rwd diff, and may very well be there in a fwd one and I just don't particularly remember them, but as you mentioned they *would* be swapped over anyway into the donor case from where they came.
There is definitely a shim required on the K-series transmissions. I've had to deal with it myself while swapping the diff on an RSX.

You're correct in that the GSR and Si did have open diffs. But my point is and remains that the 99-00 Si B(16Ax) series tranny *would not* accept a Type R diff, OE or otherwise (ie; Quaife Type R) whereas the GSR tranny would. The Si diff (again, Quaife ATB) was a different unit. The purpose of bringing that to light was to open a line of communication with respect to what unit might be a viable LSD option for the CU2 transmission.

Derwood put to rest the question as to whether or not the earlier TSX BBK would swap into the CU2, and it does, so now we know. *If* that's not the case with the Si LSD, others need to be aware of that as well before they launch into it without knowing if it's a direct fit.
Agreed, I myself have no reason at this point to do anything to the transmission on this car. My focus is on my Si at this point. Those with FI on this car will definitely need an LSD though. It drives me crazy that this car didn't come with one stock, it has terrible power on understeer with the stock power level. Whereas with my Civic I can rape corners hard with stock suspension/tires and the turbo. That LSD makes a massive difference.

I'm curious and didn't explore when I had it, but does the 06> Si have a dual mass flywheel?
I haven't looked into it either.

I know from their site they're very tight-lipped on new releases. If the FlashPro is what makes sense for this app, then any news is good news. I guess we'll either get a reflash street program or tunable, or both, eventually.
Yes they are very very tight lipped, and rightfully so. Under promise and over deliver. It's the wise route from a business perspective.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:21 AM
Port & Polish Everything

anymore word on how hondata is tuning this car
Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Sorry, long.

There is definitely a shim required on the K-series transmissions.
Yeah, pinion depth and backlash would have to be set on any unit, there's no associated wear, so I didn't think of it as worth mentioning but you're definitely correct there.

That LSD makes a massive difference..
Oh yeah, at BooTEC you better have the f'ing thing pointed where you want it to go, as even with an LSD it's a handful.

Originally Posted by outersquare
anymore word on how hondata is tuning this car
Do you mean a street tune reflash or for the CTE S/C?

I don't want to hang my sack out there to be thwapped like a pinata, but I believe the CTE SC kit comes with a boost reflash from Hondata.

If that is the way they went with this kit, and if no one has had to deal with the rudimentary tuning methods we had on these cars prior to a Hondata flash...it's gotta be night and day.

I'm not kidding, it's the difference between an old Motorola "brick" phone and an iPhone. We had to;

1) Use FPR's to add additional fuel or pull fuel when using larger injectors with no real good way to tell the ECU they were larger. (I'm purposely disregarding A/F controllers and piggyback signal modifiers.)

2) Use boost timing controllers to retard timing under boost, or retard initial timing *a lot*, like 6 degrees out of 16 initial (b16a, b18c) for only 6 psi, which made the car a mutt when not boosting.

3) Use stupid ineffective boost bleeders so the MAP sensor didn't read boost. (Until CTE released the Electronic Signal Modifier, which is an absolute sweetheart.)

4) Use FMU's (Fuel Management Units) to increase fuel rail pressure under boost, which were never quite perfect depending on additional mods beyond a box stock car with a blower.

With a reflash...I don't think there's a need for any of that crap. Perfect fuel, perfect timing all-around box-stock driveability when cruising, flawlessly delivered power when in boost. Some of y'all don't realize how good you have it now. Want more boost on a s/c? Add the pulley...poof! Done.

It's a beautiful thing...with a Hondata boost reflash, the car thinks it was made this way. I...can't...wait.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Y
I don't want to hang my sack out there to be thwapped like a pinata,
hahahahahahahahahahahahaaa
Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Port & Polish Everything

I don't want to hang my sack out there to be thwapped like a pinata, but I believe the CTE SC kit comes with a boost reflash from Hondata.

If that is the way they went with this kit, and if no one has had to deal with the rudimentary tuning methods we had on these cars prior to a Hondata flash...it's gotta be night and day.

I'm not kidding, it's the difference between an old Motorola "brick" phone and an iPhone. We had to;

1) Use FPR's to add additional fuel or pull fuel when using larger injectors with no real good way to tell the ECU they were larger. (I'm purposely disregarding A/F controllers and piggyback signal modifiers.)

2) Use boost timing controllers to retard timing under boost, or retard initial timing *a lot*, like 6 degrees out of 16 initial (b16a, b18c) for only 6 psi, which made the car a mutt when not boosting.

3) Use stupid ineffective boost bleeders so the MAP sensor didn't read boost. (Until CTE released the Electronic Signal Modifier, which is an absolute sweetheart.)

4) Use FMU's (Fuel Management Units) to increase fuel rail pressure under boost, which were never quite perfect depending on additional mods beyond a box stock car with a blower.

With a reflash...I don't think there's a need for any of that crap. Perfect fuel, perfect timing all-around box-stock driveability when cruising, flawlessly delivered power when in boost. Some of y'all don't realize how good you have it now. Want more boost on a s/c? Add the pulley...poof! Done.

It's a beautiful thing...with a Hondata boost reflash, the car thinks it was made this way. I...can't...wait.

well anything, if they have anything for boost or NA reflash it will eventually work for both.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Racer

I can confirm with 100% certainty that the CT-e kit for our car is tuned by a Hondata reflash. When I mentioned to Doug that I owned a CU2, he brought up his experience with tuning the kit and how nice the additional power was while driving the car around on the freeway. I'm assuming it was BOOSTED09TSX's car that he was in fact driving/tuning.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Port & Polish Everything

I can confirm with 100% certainty that the CT-e kit for our car is tuned by a Hondata reflash. When I mentioned to Doug that I owned a CU2, he brought up his experience with tuning the kit and how nice the additional power was while driving the car around on the freeway. I'm assuming it was BOOSTED09TSX's car that he was in fact driving/tuning.
thx, that makes a regular NA/bolton reflash more likely
Old 03-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Racer

Actually it doesn't. I asked Doug about the tuning on this car. He said that the major difference between this car and all of the other k-series is that Honda actually programmed it right. He said the cam angles are already ideal on our car.

I doubt Hondata will bother with a reflash. They would probably just go straight with FlashPro if they bother at all.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Port & Polish Everything

Actually it doesn't. I asked Doug about the tuning on this car. He said that the major difference between this car and all of the other k-series is that Honda actually programmed it right. He said the cam angles are already ideal on our car.

I doubt Hondata will bother with a reflash. They would probably just go straight with FlashPro if they bother at all.

well i meant from a technical aspect but that is interesting the stock tune is already ideal.

when the k series first came out people suspected honda was hiding power in the motor, turns out that was probably the case.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did this ever come out?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOSTED09TSX
I don't know about the SC components but I was hoping to swap over my turbo kit from my Si. Hopefully I will be joining you soon in the FI department. The k20z3 and k24z3 are almost identical. Your thread got me super excited that the TSX has FI options.