Question about JBL MS-8

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Question Question about JBL MS-8

Hi guys. I'm new to the forums. Once it warms up I'll post some pictures of my 2009 PWP TSX (Non-tech/5AT).

My previous car was a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S with a pretty nice system in it, and I did some research before buying this car which is why I don't have the tech package...

Anyway, let me cut to the point of the thread: If I wanted to install the JBL MS-8 with the factory HU and factory speakers would that qualify as an upgrade? The main reason why I'm asking is because I'm pretty sure the stock amp is 340ish watts, and I noticed the MS-8 is 240 (I think it was). Will this still give me an improvement in SQ and punch over the stock amp? Also, I am considering installing two more of the factory speakers in the rear doors especially since they are only $20 online and just tapping them in to the speakers in the rear deck. How would that work with the MS-8?

This would be my first time using a DSP so forgive me for knowing absolutely nothing about it.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The MS-8 uses the same type of output IC as the factory amp so you will gain nothing in the power department. Before venturing into the DSP world you should upgrade your speakers and replace the factory amp with a good class A/B design. If after this if you still think you need a DSP you can get something like an Audio Control unit, this way your not buying 8 channels of low end amps that you would have with the MS-8.

I make a plug and play adapter for bypassing the 2nd Gen amp.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Racer

Thanks for the reply.

That pretty much sums this up then. I originally intended to do speaker replacements, add two subs, and go with a high end HU. I'll continue with that path.

I was thinking that maybe the MS-8 would be a satisfactory upgrade so I could save some time, effort, and money but it doesn't sound like it's a magic solution for me.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Pro

You already have a high end HU since you have premium sound. Unless you want to add Nav there is no good reason to change the HU. The week points in the system are the cheapo factory speakers and the amp.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Racer

I'm not satisfied with Bluetooth performance, and I'd like to have navigation as well as a backup camera.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Racer

Sorry for the double post... but I have noticed some people going with coaxials for the rear deck... Any reason in particular to with coax vs two way? I'm looking at the JBL P662 for the rear deck, and potentially the rear doors. For the front doors and tweeters the JBL P660C.

I haven't decided on an amp yet but the JBL GX-A604 has me interested. I would probably keep the rear doors and rear deck all on the same channels (left and right but a single channel powering both speakers).

I've used JBL quite a bit in the past and will probably stick with their speakers. The sound is great and the price is even better. Amp could be a different story though... Same for the subwoofers.

Any opinion/advice?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by mercman
The MS-8 uses the same type of output IC as the factory amp so you will gain nothing in the power department. Before venturing into the DSP world you should upgrade your speakers and replace the factory amp with a good class A/B design. If after this if you still think you need a DSP you can get something like an Audio Control unit, this way your not buying 8 channels of low end amps that you would have with the MS-8.

Jeff
I agree, except the part about getting an Audio Control at a later date. There are far better processors on the market I would recommend. Audio Control needs to get with the times.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:21 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain
Sorry for the double post... but I have noticed some people going with coaxials for the rear deck... Any reason in particular to with coax vs two way? I'm looking at the JBL P662 for the rear deck, and potentially the rear doors. For the front doors and tweeters the JBL P660C.

I haven't decided on an amp yet but the JBL GX-A604 has me interested. I would probably keep the rear doors and rear deck all on the same channels (left and right but a single channel powering both speakers).

I've used JBL quite a bit in the past and will probably stick with their speakers. The sound is great and the price is even better. Amp could be a different story though... Same for the subwoofers.

Any opinion/advice?
Most SQ purists will tell you to never run rear speakers or just run the stocks off deck power as the key to good SQ in a car is for the soundstage to be strongly focused to the front of the vehicle.

As far as JBL goes the GTO subs are quite good and the P660C 6.5 comps are a great mid grade set, but that particular amp is a little underpowered for my taste i'd look for the JBL MS-A1004 as they are still out there available and are a full range class d amp with a ton of built-in eq/processing capability. Yes it is much more expensive but well worth it.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Pro

In my 1st gen TSX I experimented with a bunch of different speakers in the rear deck, 6x9s, 6-1/2 inch. i found that the best sound came from not using any rears at all. I demo'd this to a few of my audiophile friends and they agreed. A sub in the trunk and good front components are the way to go.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Racer

Wouldn't it sound weird for people in the rear?

If not, I could do the JBL P660C in the front.

As far as sub goes I actually think I may get the JBL MS-BassPro SQ, which already has an amp.

So the amp for the front speakers is undetermined... I guess I could just a 2-channel amp.

As far as headunit I'm thinking Kenwood DNX892.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Racer

I guess realistically people won't be back there that often, and I could see how imaging would be a problem with rear speakers...
Old 03-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain
Hi guys. I'm new to the forums. Once it warms up I'll post some pictures of my 2009 PWP TSX (Non-tech/5AT).

My previous car was a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S with a pretty nice system in it, and I did some research before buying this car which is why I don't have the tech package...

Anyway, let me cut to the point of the thread: If I wanted to install the JBL MS-8 with the factory HU and factory speakers would that qualify as an upgrade? The main reason why I'm asking is because I'm pretty sure the stock amp is 340ish watts, and I noticed the MS-8 is 240 (I think it was). Will this still give me an improvement in SQ and punch over the stock amp? Also, I am considering installing two more of the factory speakers in the rear doors especially since they are only $20 online and just tapping them in to the speakers in the rear deck. How would that work with the MS-8?

This would be my first time using a DSP so forgive me for knowing absolutely nothing about it.

Thanks for any advice!
The MS8 is a very capable DSP. For audio upgrades I always recommend starting with sound deaden the car first, front doors and rear deck at a minimum. Sound deaden the car and adding the two rear door speakers and MS8 will be a noticeable upgrade IMO. Another small replacement at this stage would be to replace the two metal tweeters with some smoother tweeters such as the Dayton Audio silk dome.

Jeff
Ugh, the dreaded class A/B vs D debate. For the OP, a class D would be more efficient amp and typically in a smaller foot print. No need for an A/B amp for the goal the OP has mentioned/components discussed.

In my 1st gen TSX I experimented with a bunch of different speakers in the rear deck, 6x9s, 6-1/2 inch. i found that the best sound came from not using any rears at all. I demo'd this to a few of my audiophile friends and they agreed. A sub in the trunk and good front components are the way to go.

Jeff
Agreed, in a typical basic front/rear setup a front and sub combination would usually yield better results, but if the OP uses the DSP it would allow TA to apply a listening position to the "front". I've always used rear speakers with a DSP with excellent results.