Connecting an aftermarket Amp+Sub to stock headunit - What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
Connecting an aftermarket Amp+Sub to stock headunit - What do I need?

Hello AZsholes!

First off, I did SEARCH! & Couldn't find a clear answer - so figured I'd ask on behalf of everyone who's wondering the same.

I currently have a JL Audio 12w7 and a Kenwood 1000x1 amp that I had connected to my old car.

My question here is - What all do I need to be able to successfully run this setup on my 2009 TSX w/ Tech - without having to replace the factory HU?

IE - Wiring Kits | Etc.

I plan on doing this soon, but want to purchase everything beforehand (of course).

Thanks in advance! :gheyhug:
Old 09-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
Hello AZsholes!

First off, I did SEARCH! & Couldn't find a clear answer - so figured I'd ask on behalf of everyone who's wondering the same.

I currently have a JL Audio 12w7 and a Kenwood 1000x1 amp that I had connected to my old car.

My question here is - What all do I need to be able to successfully run this setup on my 2009 TSX w/ Tech - without having to replace the factory HU?

IE - Wiring Kits | Etc.

I plan on doing this soon, but want to purchase everything beforehand (of course).

Thanks in advance! :gheyhug:
i am also wondering. would like to do the same but not run wires from the front of the car to the back. want to keep it clean as possible
Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Obviously use the wire gauge and fuse that is listed in the amps owner’s manual.
You will need a firewall bushing and you might have to enlarge the existing hole just above the gas pedal to fit the bushing and power wire. The hole is fitted with a black plug, don’t pop it out until you are ready to install.
If your amp has speaker or high level inputs connect them to the wires at the factory sub. You can use a 98 and up Honda speaker adapter for this. If line (RCA) input only, use a LOC, type doesn’t matter but make sure it will work with high-powered (BTL) decks. Most do. You don’t need a $50 LOC.
I have posted a bunch of times on why you can’t go directly to the HU on the Tech (ELS), so speaker level at the sub is your only choice.
You need to remove the rear shelf if you want to remove the factor sub, the grill is not removable like the rear deck speakers.
Jeff
The following users liked this post:
gaTorSXtasy (09-11-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mercman
Obviously use the wire gauge and fuse that is listed in the amps owner’s manual.
You will need a firewall bushing and you might have to enlarge the existing hole just above the gas pedal to fit the bushing and power wire. The hole is fitted with a black plug, don’t pop it out until you are ready to install.
If your amp has speaker or high level inputs connect them to the wires at the factory sub. You can use a 98 and up Honda speaker adapter for this. If line (RCA) input only, use a LOC, type doesn’t matter but make sure it will work with high-powered (BTL) decks. Most do. You don’t need a $50 LOC.
I have posted a bunch of times on why you can’t go directly to the HU on the Tech (ELS), so speaker level at the sub is your only choice.
You need to remove the rear shelf if you want to remove the factor sub, the grill is not removable like the rear deck speakers.
Jeff
This is the amp I am using

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...iers/KAC-8105D

Will I need a LOC?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
No, it already has speaker level inputs, from the spec sheet:
"Speaker-level inputs with signal sensing turn-on"

Jeff
Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Drifting

Cool, so let me get this straight;

I basically just need to run the recommended power+fuse from battery to > Amp < Wires from factory sub to amp > Wires from amp to aftermarket sub?

Thanks for your help Jeff!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Bump. If anyone can basically create a list of things I need, that would be perfect as I'm looking to buy everything (aside from the amp & sub) this weekend.