Bluetooth connection constantly disconnects

Old 02-03-2018, 12:54 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Bluetooth connection constantly disconnects

I own a 2013 TSX and an iPhone 7 on iOS 11. When I am listening to music through the bluetooth, the connection constantly drops and then re-connects in roughly 15-30 seconds. This happens completely randomly so I am unsure what can be causing this but it can be extremely irritating. Any ideas?

I tried reseting my iPhone and re-pairing the device. I also tried toggling my wifi off before my drives but that doesn't seem to help. My local dealership didn’t know what to do about it either.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1,000 Likes on 571 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This thread has been moved to the model specific forum for better response.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
i'm having same issues with 2014 as well on my iphone x.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the club regarding this issue. When I got my 2011 TSX with Tech package first thing I noticed I had hard time pairing my iPhone 7 when I finally got it paired I would have bluetooth issue when playing music or while playing music via bluetooth and I get or make a call the whole system would freeze and then would loose connection which you have to pair again. Since I had warranty with Carmax they replaced the module but it happen again so they took it to Acura dealer and they said because of many version of phones and technology it only supported up to iPhone 5c/5s... While I know this is BS because my wife's 2010 Highlander doesn't have any issue with iPhone 7 or any drop calls etc. Now I'm just used to it if it works great if it doesn't it will work again I turn on the car or I can manually pair it...

I think overall Acura lucks on bluetooth my TL had the battery drain issue which I had to unplug because it wouldn't work and would drain the battery.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
2012 TSX Wagon here. I've had bluetooth problems, but I've observed slightly different behavior. When it disconnects, it never reconnects for me. I have to manually pair again. I've had this happen with an iPhone 4s, iPhone X, and an android phone (don't recall the model). There is a TSB for the bluetooth module. After getting it serviced, the frequency of disconnects happened less often, but it still happens. I also found that if I close all my apps every night, the disconnects occur even less often.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

So I'm in the same boat. I'm about to lose my mind. I just bought a 2014 TSX Tech a month ago and everything worked fairly well for a couple weeks, then the disconnects started happening constantly. I bought a used TSX with the Tech package specifically for the hands free, backup camera, speakers, etc. Now no way to upgrade the stereo head unit. It started off as the same as WheelMcCoy, where the only thing i could do was turn the car off to have it re-connect. I have done a factory reset multiple times through the diagnostic screens, I have re-paired and have tried several different devices. When it will not connect, if I put the car in pairing mode, no device can see it. It has to be the car. So those of you that have swapped out the HFL bluetooth, did you use P/N 39770-TL2-A21 per the TSB? I see several Bluetooth P/N listed on ebay claiming they are for the TSX 09-14, but none match the TSB part number. Thanks
Old 02-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think different PN has different revisions. I would honestly get the latest revision as it works better.
The following users liked this post:
SandbarBound (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:57 PM
3rd Gear

That makes sense. The thought of $1100 for a part that is non-returnable spooks me. Every Acura parts site I've been on states non-returnable if opened/used, or won't take returns of electronics/cabling/etc.. That fear of "what if I'm wrong" and being stuck with that expensive a part has me looking at eBay. It's a lot to swallow and I think my wife will kill me...lol. I'll keep hunting.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:05 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Here's a take from a different angle:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...t=270&tstart=0
The following users liked this post:
SandbarBound (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:05 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks. That is a different angle. I certainly can’t fully rule it out. I’ve tried all 3 phones in our house and all are iOS 11. The odd thing as I mentioned is that when the car is in pairing mode nothing is seen by any device. I tried an old iPod Touch, but truly have no idea if the Bluetooth can be discovered by that device in the first place. It’s on iOS 5. For now I think I’ll take the $25 option with a Bluetooth/aux adapter run through the arm rest. Now I wish I’d gone non-tech. :/
Old 03-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Try the HFL module's self-diagnostic: with the car in P and the engine running, push and hold the "hang-up" button for about 20 or 30 seconds. This will launch self-diag and a voice will speak the status (I believe in english and japanese).

I would also completely erase all phones that were paired with the HFL and start from scratch.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:20 PM
6th Gear

Talking 2012 Acura MDX Tech. Pkg - iPhone’s owners

Hi guys,
I’m new here, I just bought an Acura MDX 2012 Tech pkg.
I started to experience this Bluetooth issue after a couple of days.
Reading the other members seems like there is not an actual official procedure from Acura to solve the problem.
What I did is, I “forget” (disconnecting and erasing) the original pair connection I made between my iPhone (XS) and the car. I deleted also the phone on the car. I reboot my phone. I shut off the car and toke keys out.
I restart everything, car and phone. I reconnected (pairing) the phone with the car e I didn’t have any connection drops for couple of days, but then the problem came out again.
Then I started to think that honestly there is a better way to play music from your iPhone. Once you connect the phone in the center console using the usb cable, your phone it’s basically considered as an iPod. I play all music using Spotify and having the phone wire connected to the car increase the audio quality instead to stream it through Bluetooth.
I still can use the steering wheel’s buttons to skip songs and adjust volume and use the “repeat” or “random” songs functions in the center console (radio commands).
Also this way, you can use the Dolby PL II option (on/off), thing that you cannot use it if you are playing music through Bluetooth.
I guess it’s a win/win this way.
I apologize if my English isn’t good but it’s my second language, I tried my best to explain myself. Thanks