2018 Map Update Question

Old 06-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 Map Update Question

Has anyone done the 2018 map update in their TSX? If so, I've got a question: does the update include any nanny-style safety lockout update features? One of the things I love about my 2011 TSX versus a lot of other cars is that I can do pretty much anything I want on my NAV system when the car is in motion. My wife's Lexus won't even let her choose a different music album when her car is in motion. That's just not something I could live with!!!!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:44 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I had the very same question a few years back for my 2011 MT Tech. What's daunting is the warning that the update cannot be reversed, so you would have to live with the nanny features. Consider ourselves lucky that we can perform virtually any map, phone or navi input while the car is rolling.

I asked Customer Service and after some checking, it assured me that the update would not affect or restrict inputs. I waited for the $99 special a year or so ago, and updated.

No issues with the nanny lockouts, but I did notice subtle changes. No Zagat restaurant ratings anymore, and I think "Search by ZIP Code" was added.

And can I add one more thing? I see a lot of complaints these days -- especially from auto magazine reviewers -- about the number of buttons on dashboards. I think the TSX has 40+ when you count steering wheel controls. However, this makes driving easier and safer. Once you learn the location, the dash acts like a cockpit with an instant action to a button push. This used to be part of Honda's "grammar of design," which put control and concentration on the driver. That's why, for example, the sunroof controls for years were on the left of the dash, far away from a pesky passenger.

To save costs and allow firmware updates, we now have giant touchscreens. These are more distracting and harder to use. Pressing three buttons to change the fan speed while looking at the screen, vs one on my TSX that I can immediately identify by location and feel. Which seems safer to you?
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (09-12-2018)