Where to get new grill?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008 | 09:27 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Where to get new grill?

Are there any places online to get a new grill, are there options? I am considering getting back into an Acura, but even as a commuter car I would need to swap out the grill.

On a side note, any first gen. TSX owners go to a second gen? I had a first gen. and it was a fantastic car, part of me is considering just buying a first gen. because it is a known commodity to me, but I am looking closer at the 09.
Old 12-21-2008 | 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

You could also paintmatch the stock grill like I did.

Old 12-21-2008 | 03:51 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

That looks fantastic in black!

Has anyone done this on a lighter color car? Black can pull it off, I'm not sure it would looks as good on white or the light silver.
Old 12-21-2008 | 04:08 PM
eYe'N mAn

White

Old 12-21-2008 | 06:07 PM
Banned

I'd like to paint my grill the same color as the rest of the car. How do you go about doing it so that it will look the same as the rest of the paint job? Does Acura sell the right shades of paint?
Old 12-21-2008 | 06:52 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by wackura
I'd like to paint my grill the same color as the rest of the car. How do you go about doing it so that it will look the same as the rest of the paint job? Does Acura sell the right shades of paint?
Go to a body shop, in the end it will cost you less and come out better then if you tried to do it yourself.
Old 12-21-2008 | 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by iTimmy
Are there any places online to get a new grill, are there options? I am considering getting back into an Acura, but even as a commuter car I would need to swap out the grill.

On a side note, any first gen. TSX owners go to a second gen? I had a first gen. and it was a fantastic car, part of me is considering just buying a first gen. because it is a known commodity to me, but I am looking closer at the 09.
To answer your question, I came from an 05 CGP TSX and into a 09 CBP TSX, I am quite satisfied with it. My car is still under 200 miles so I can't tell you how it is at WOT. Personally I have noticed that its a lot more quiet compared to the 1G in terms of stock tires. I guess its because the tires are wider. It is a little better in starting from a stop because of the better torque and to me is an excellent car for commuting. I used to hate the 2G TSX because of everything but I'm getting to know it better. I still have my 1G when I want to push it. 1G is more sporty than the 2G...
Old 12-21-2008 | 07:40 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by kowloonsniperhk
To answer your question, I came from an 05 CGP TSX and into a 09 CBP TSX, I am quite satisfied with it. My car is still under 200 miles so I can't tell you how it is at WOT. Personally I have noticed that its a lot more quiet compared to the 1G in terms of stock tires. I guess its because the tires are wider. It is a little better in starting from a stop because of the better torque and to me is an excellent car for commuting. I used to hate the 2G TSX because of everything but I'm getting to know it better. I still have my 1G when I want to push it. 1G is more sporty than the 2G...
Thanks, keep me updated. I had a 04 TSX with a comptech Icebox, Comptech RSB and DC header and I kept it longer then any other car I've ever owned. I traded it in on a 07 G35X, I thought more power would make me happy, I was mistaken, I traded that in a year later on the S2000. As much as I like the S2000 it is sometimes a pain in the ass to live with as a daily driver and I am thinking of getting back into something more accommodating.

And I think am too frugal to buy a BMW
Old 12-21-2008 | 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, keep me updated. I had a 04 TSX with a comptech Icebox, Comptech RSB and DC header and I kept it longer then any other car I've ever owned. I traded it in on a 07 G35X, I thought more power would make me happy, I was mistaken, I traded that in a year later on the S2000. As much as I like the S2000 it is sometimes a pain in the ass to live with as a daily driver and I am thinking of getting back into something more accommodating.

i actually wanted a 08 g35 sedan but the sales guy was to stubborn to budge on the price despite it being Dec 08. wanted to still charge me the same price as a 09. ridiculous. and not that many people were at the dealership.

Right now Im just waiting on stuff to come out for the 2G TSX...at the moment just the little things first...
Old 12-21-2008 | 10:00 PM
Advanced

i wanna get the mugen body kit and spoiler for 09 accord which is the same model as 09 tsx here in US. wonder where to get them. anyone knows?
Old 12-21-2008 | 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mskchui
i wanna get the mugen body kit and spoiler for 09 accord which is the same model as 09 tsx here in US. wonder where to get them. anyone knows?
I think its either King Motorsports or other vendors but Im pretty sure they haven't acquired them yet.
Old 12-22-2008 | 07:45 AM
Forced Induction

I know what you mean about the s2000, it's a GREAT car, but you need to have a daily driver when you own that car. I had it for a while, but it is really a hard car to have when you daily drive. If I could do it over again I would have kept the s2000 and maybe got a cheaper daily driver, but I couldn't pass up all the nice tech toys in the 09 TSX...
Old 12-22-2008 | 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

I called my salesman at the Acura dealership I got my car from and asked him where they take all their cars for body work and went to that body shop to have it done. It would have cost me $150 however it ended up not really costing me anything and I walked out of there with a check in my hands. This being because I asked the owner if he was at all interested in my stock front and rear bumpers (since I still had them after swapping to the Aero Sport Kit) and he offered me a good price for them.
Old 12-22-2008 | 07:44 PM
Intermediate

couple questions:

can i just go to any paint shop to get that matched in black like you did up top this thread? do i just tell them "can you match this?"

also, for the guy that posted the pic of the white one, how do i go about getting those "chicken-wire" grills installed? the plastic stock ones are hideous to me, and what you have on that white one, is EXACTLY what i've been lookin for!

Thanks, let me know guys!

-MEGA

Last edited by MEGADETH9mm; 12-22-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2008 | 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MEGADETH9mm
couple questions:

can i just go to any paint shop to get that matched in black like you did up top this thread? do i just tell them "can you match this?"

also, for the guy that posted the pic of the white one, how do i go about getting those "chicken-wire" grills installed? the plastic stock ones are hideous to me, and what you have on that white one, is EXACTLY what i've been lookin for!

Thanks, let me know guys!

-MEGA
Any "good" body shop should be able to get the color code and perfectly match it.
Old 12-22-2008 | 11:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
Any "good" body shop should be able to get the color code and perfectly match it.

alright then. cant be that expensive. i'll get some quotes soon and post pics when complete. thanks bud. i gotta tell ya, your car looks FREAKIN AWESOME.

mine will too soon now....just need the chickenwire grill to finish it off. it's my love affair with those cadillac grills the ctsV has got going, i NEED that on my tsx! lol.
Old 12-23-2008 | 07:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Are there any places online to get a new grill, are there options?
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/has-begun-701447/

Might not be your thing but its an option.

I think paint matching would work with any color. Looks fine on black and white.
Old 12-26-2008 | 01:23 AM
D

Wow, I have the CBP and like how it looks with the chrome grill, but seeing yours painted just looks totally awesome. I'll probably get that done to mine as well in the future.
Old 12-26-2008 | 12:20 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

If anyone else has paint matched their grill in a different color(other then black or white) please post pictures! I really want to see what they look like.
Old 12-27-2008 | 01:28 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Looks very nice!

Originally Posted by snYpz
White

Old 12-30-2008 | 11:26 PM
Pro

I'd personally go with the Mugen one(s), it looks hot.

http://www.mugen-power.com/street/ac...ge/02-wxga.jpg
Old 12-30-2008 | 11:33 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

I like the one on the right, the one on the left is too close to stock.
Old 12-30-2008 | 11:34 PM
JDM Addict

well, if you look close, the one on the right is not just a grille.
it's a whole bumper replacement.
and that's pretty big money.
so that's something to consider as well.
Old 12-30-2008 | 11:42 PM
Pro

I think if they did the Acura grille like the correctly proportioned Mugen grille on the left, it would look so much better, like the Sports 4 Concept.
Old 01-03-2009 | 01:52 PM
Intermediate

Ok, i'm going to a body shop to get an estimate on Monday to paint mine black to match. I'm kind of thinking of just having the lower wrap around painted black and leaving the lip with the acura insignia chrome. i just dont know how it will look. I think i'll ask them to do this first, if it looks stupid, i will say, "go ahead, paint the lip too." i will post pics either way.

still trying to find out how to get that chicken wire grill that's on the white one in this thread...anyone got any suggestions on where to find that?
Old 01-04-2009 | 08:25 PM
Former Sponsor

ct is coming out with the center blade in carbon fiber soon...looks pretty dope...
Old 01-05-2009 | 01:21 PM
Intermediate

hey all, just got back from ohare auto body and they quoted me 350 total. it's a great deal considering just the paint will cost him 150.

now i must convince the wife to let me do it. i got fired from porsche last week and have no job and we in financial crisis, think she'll let me do it?
Old 01-05-2009 | 01:31 PM
Banned

$350 seems like a lot to me. I don't know what is typical but if the paint alone is $150 then I can't imagine how the associated labor and expenses would come to $200. That's the kind of quote that inspires me to do it myself or not bother at all. Someone in Australia says he'll be offering a carbon fiber replacement grill for about $350.
Old 01-05-2009 | 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

hey all, just got back from ohare auto body and they quoted me 350 total. it's a great deal considering just the paint will cost him 150.

now i must convince the wife to let me do it. i got fired from porsche last week and have no job and we in financial crisis, think she'll let me do it?
That's a horrible deal. Paint will cost him $150 alone? What are the metallic flakes 24qt gold?

Where I had mine done, I was given a price of $125 if I pulled the bumper off myself and just brought them the grill, and $150 for them to pull it off.

I recommend you ask your Acura dealer where they get their body work done at and go there. That's what I did. Then you know that they are familiar with the vehicle already and have the paint on-hand as well. You can certainly get a lower price elsewhere than $350.
Old 01-05-2009 | 01:53 PM
Drifting

I second that $350 is nothing at all like a good deal. $150 for the paint is a huge stinking pile of BS. The dude is just stringing you along.

Also, when you say "we in financial crisis" are you saying "we" as in all of us or "we" as in you and your family. If it's the latter, you should probably heed your wife's apprehensions.
Old 01-05-2009 | 02:35 PM
Banned

I missed that part. If your finances can be described as a crisis then modifying a relatively expensive car at a cost only to have it likely harm the value is an idiotic idea. When you go to sell the TSX to buy some bread do you want potential buyers or dealers asking what you did to the grill?
Old 01-06-2009 | 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
That's a horrible deal. Paint will cost him $150 alone? What are the metallic flakes 24qt gold?

Where I had mine done, I was given a price of $125 if I pulled the bumper off myself and just brought them the grill, and $150 for them to pull it off.

I recommend you ask your Acura dealer where they get their body work done at and go there. That's what I did. Then you know that they are familiar with the vehicle already and have the paint on-hand as well. You can certainly get a lower price elsewhere than $350.

thanks for the tip buddy i'm going to do that. and to the other guy, it's a lease. i do not care about "value" of the vehicle.
Old 01-06-2009 | 01:04 PM
Banned

How exactly will you restore a painted grill to stock when the lease is up?
Old 01-06-2009 | 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Dude, just wait til you get a jobby job, then do it.
Old 01-06-2009 | 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Dude, just wait til you get a jobby job, then do it.

LOL.

Got quote from guy that does the dealership's body work. $206. He has not done this to any acuras yet. So looks like I'll be one of the first in Chicagoland to do this. I'm going Thursday and will post pics when it's done. Thanks for the tips again guys, you saved me 150 bucks.
Old 01-06-2009 | 02:34 PM
Intermediate

How exactly will you restore a painted grill to stock when the lease is up?

i'm not. just going to give it back to them. just like all my other leases when I did things to those cars. as long as i dont mess with the engine or exhaust nothing ever happens. This does nothing to the warranty. have you leased before? not being sarcastic, just wondering.
Old 01-06-2009 | 02:53 PM
Safety Car

LOL.

Got quote from guy that does the dealership's body work. $206. He has not done this to any acuras yet. So looks like I'll be one of the first in Chicagoland to do this. I'm going Thursday and will post pics when it's done. Thanks for the tips again guys, you saved me 150 bucks.
Well, I won't comment on the perception that you have no job and no money, but I'd just say make sure that this is quality work. Afterall this is a part that is most susceptible to rock chips, bug splatters, etc.

Maybe get a clear bra or something. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2009 | 03:07 PM
Banned

i'm not. just going to give it back to them. just like all my other leases when I did things to those cars. as long as i dont mess with the engine or exhaust nothing ever happens. This does nothing to the warranty. have you leased before? not being sarcastic, just wondering.
I haven't, but I know that people who mod leased cars must return them to stock before giving them back and that it's required by the contract because ultimately they can't CPO a car with coffee can exhaust and it follows that they would have the same issue with a customized facade.
Old 01-06-2009 | 03:44 PM
Drifting

Only the lower mileage, very good condition cars get CPOed. Basically cars which they can reasonably expect they're not going to see back every other day. The rest get sold as-is (decent condition) or just sold wholesale to the auction houses (everything else). As long as you haven't significantly diminished the value of the car, they don't really care. I don't think the painted grill falls into that category. Things like fart cans scream "this car was beat on by some punk kid" and therefore do damage the value.
Old 01-06-2009 | 04:07 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Seriously, people at dealerships usually don't pay a ton of attention as long as something isn't painfully off. I traded in a 07 G35X sedan with a blacked out grill and headlights and they thought it looked cool, not saying that will always happen but it can. The other option is to trade with someone before lease turn in, typically no money changes hands you just swap one grill for another. I had a leased VW GTI in 01 and blacked out the headlights, a week before trading it in I gave them to a local VW owner in exchange for his, everyone won.

Quick Reply: Where to get new grill?