water spots: new owners beware

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water spots: new owners beware

I now have about 2k miles on my '09 and I'm loving it. Last weekend, however, I took her to the beach for the weekend...bad mistake. I have a black car, it rained, it sat for two days, and now I have awful water spots on the car. I've washed it several times...no luck. I took it to a good detailer...he just called me and said that the marks are set into the paint. He can make them lighter, but they'll still be there. The only way he said they'd come up is with wet-sanding the paint, which he says he wouldn't do on a black car. He also said that the local acura dealership only puts a liquid wax on new cars. Moral of the story (especially black car owners)...immediately get a few coats of GOOD wax on your new ride. Thankfully, I'm leasing.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you tried polishing it? Wetsanding seems rather drastic. Repost this in our Wash & Wax Forum, include some pictures if you can, and see what our experts say.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Racer

should be able to get it out with a good polish. maybe pick up a porter cable buffer and get them spots out.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
Have you tried polishing it? Wetsanding seems rather drastic. Repost this in our Wash & Wax Forum, include some pictures if you can, and see what our experts say.
+1

Definatly post it up in the wash/wax forum, theres lots of guys willing to help you out. You might be able to try some detailing clay. You can pick up a kit at Walmart for $15. The Meguiar's kit will include clay, clay storage, quik detailer that is used as clay lube and a small bottle of polish. I clayed my girlfriend's black eclipse this past weekend and she was amazed at the results. If claying does not work, you will probably need a polish to get rid of the water spots.

I did have waterspots on my 09 too but mine is silver so they might be a little harder to spot. I went through a pay and spray touchless car wash and it left some pretty nasty waterspots. I took the car home and sprayed it with the hose and they didnt come out. They finally came out when I washed with Optimum No Rinse and Shine and used a Four Star Ultimate Protection Paint Sealant. I topped it off with Danase Wet Glaze and I hear its a killer combo for black paint. PM me if you have any questions. Check out the link for pics of my car. You can see the wash bucket in some pics

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/dwg-upp-393773/
Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Thanks...its at a detail shop right now. The owner said he'd do everything he can, but he doesn't think that a clay will get it off. He says its set into the paint. We'll see how it is when I pick it up this afternoon.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

From what I've picked up from the wash/wax forum is that the Four Star paint sealant (UPP) is awesome protection. I applied it about a month after I had the car and the protection is still going strong. The morning dew or droplets of water just roll right off after i pull out of the driveway in the morning. I also notice that the Optimum No Rinse car wash I use leave a sort of rain-x film on all surfaces it touches.

My coworker who owns an Evo X that has no wax or paint protection. We both washed our cars on July 3rd, I did it by hand, he takes it to his usual car wash place. When we got back from the 4th of July extended weekend, there was a thunderstorm that came through that week. My car looked like it just needed a dusting off. His car looked like it needed to be totally washed again since the rain water stuck to the car instead of beading off along with carrying any dirt and dust with it. Not trying to shamelessy plug some products but any type of protection is worth it, even over the counter auto-mart stuff.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Any tough stains I've gotten on my car have come right off with Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover. I suggest you try it before resorting to drastic measures. That said, I've never heard of ordinary rain causing nonremovable water stains. It sounds to me that you got hit with some acid rain or something.

In terms of wax, I just use the Eagle One spray wax as recommended by Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports says that the better spray waxes are sufficient as long as a car is new and you re-apply it often. I re-apply once a month. Takes 30 minutes or less to do the whole car including windows and trim. I'm just not one of those people who has the time to spend a couple of hours waxing and buffing a car with traditional liquid or paste wax evey 3 months. By the way, as to the detailer's comment that Acura dealers use "only" liquid waxes: CR tests indicate they are superior to the paste waxes in most cases.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

umm i'd try another detail shop. i'm pretty sure water spots can come out with polishing.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't let the detail shop touch it yet. I'm pretty sure Acura warranties the paint against foreign contaminants for at least a year. Look through your warranty information for more info. I'm pretty sure it covers paint spotting/pitting.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Racer

Im curious as to where the water spots are....I have some wierd looking stuff on the trunk..it was in the rain for a few hours the other day and it has these like white stains around them... are your stains on the trunk also?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 PM
D

I had some pretty bad water spots and couldn't get them off. Mixed some vinegar and water together, put it in a spray bottle and the spots came off easy.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Draconis77
I had some pretty bad water spots and couldn't get them off. Mixed some vinegar and water together, put it in a spray bottle and the spots came off easy.
vinegar won't dmg paint?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
vinegar won't dmg paint?
Not as much as bird shit. Just put it on and then rinse off with lots of water. Especially in the nooks and crannies. I'd rather use a dual action and hit it with a medium pad and some swirl remover compound. Follow up with wax.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Advanced

I posted pictures of the spots in the wash and wax thread....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...90#post6095590
Old 07-17-2008, 12:52 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Don't forget the glass! I hate water spots on windows, esp noticeable on darker windows and also hard to remove if etched in.

Answer- wax the glass, but not too heavy. Don't wax where the wipers go. I do use Xpel sometimes on windshield. kind of like Rainx.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Patrick (Exceldetail) is a professional detailer. I've found his advice and opinions spot on. If he says it doesn't look that bad and that it can be fixed then you're in luck.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:18 AM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
+1

Definatly post it up in the wash/wax forum, theres lots of guys willing to help you out. You might be able to try some detailing clay. You can pick up a kit at Walmart for $15. The Meguiar's kit will include clay, clay storage, quik detailer that is used as clay lube and a small bottle of polish. I clayed my girlfriend's black eclipse this past weekend and she was amazed at the results. If claying does not work, you will probably need a polish to get rid of the water spots.
Claybar FTW!!!

Man, it amazes me every time I crack out the claybar and do my cars.
The amount of crap that comes off the paint work is scary.

Everyone should get a claybar kit!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Advanced

I purchased a UDM and some polish and wax from Patrick (shipped today)...I'll keep you all posted. I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to get them out as Megiuar's Scratch X already did a good job applied just by hand...my wife swears that she doesn't even see them any more, so I'm probably noticing them only because I'm the only person that sticks his face two inches away from the car's surface. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by webs
I purchased a UDM and some polish and wax from Patrick (shipped today)...I'll keep you all posted. I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to get them out as Megiuar's Scratch X already did a good job applied just by hand...my wife swears that she doesn't even see them any more, so I'm probably noticing them only because I'm the only person that sticks his face two inches away from the car's surface. I'll keep you all posted.

Let me know how that UDM works out. I was in the market for a polisher and was leaning towards the Porter Cable (PC). Have you used a polisher before? Who is Patrick, and does he the discount pricing ?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

theres a new UDM coming out, check out the wash and wax forum
Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Advanced

I always get water spots on my '08. Buffing gets them out as long as you take it to the right shop. Some guys just don't know what their doing and will try to upsell you.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Its OK, you're among friends. I think we all (as enthusiasts) do that.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ill45
Let me know how that UDM works out. I was in the market for a polisher and was leaning towards the Porter Cable (PC). Have you used a polisher before? Who is Patrick, and does he the discount pricing ?
Patrick is exceldetail...he's our "official acurazine detail supplier"...or something like that. He's been very helpful in helping me decide on products (whether they were from him or elsewhere). I've never used a polisher before, but (1) Patrick has given me instruction on how to use it and, (2) my wife has a minivan that I can practice on.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlukja
Its OK, you're among friends. I think we all (as enthusiasts) do that.

Yeah, my wife thinks I'm nuts but I can't understand why she can't see the water spots...its probably like when she asks me to choose between two dresses that I swear to god are identical. Wait until I start detailing her purse and shoe collection with my new UDM, though!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

Patrick is exceldetail...he's our "official acurazine detail supplier"...or something like that. He's been very helpful in helping me decide on products (whether they were from him or elsewhere). I've never used a polisher before, but (1) Patrick has given me instruction on how to use it and, (2) my wife has a minivan that I can practice on.
Yup. Patrick is exceldetail an official forum vendor. He has an on-line store where you can buy pretty much everything you need to keep your car looking great. He also spends a lot of time in the Wash & Wax Subforum handing out opinions and advice. I've bought stuff from him before, he's great to deal with.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, my wife thinks I'm nuts but I can't understand why she can't see the water spots...its probably like when she asks me to choose between two dresses that I swear to god are identical. Wait until I start detailing her purse and shoe collection with my new UDM, though!
Let me guess, but she will get within 2 inches to see dirty spots in your underwear *lol* Never fails!!

Seriously though, I think you will succeed in getting those water spots off by reading all the useful comments and advice you have been receiving!! We'll all benefit from them. The only thing I haven't been able to get rid off is a few (and I mean a few only) water spots on the black part where my windshield slips underneath the hood....you know where the wipers sit...there are a few water spots there from when the car was delivered and the dealership was not successful at getting them all out...anyone else has this?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSX
Let me guess, but she will get within 2 inches to see dirty spots in your underwear *lol* Never fails!!
Ha Ha, just make sure that those "few dirty spots" aren't from lipstick.....
Old 07-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Intermediate

Water spots can be removed by giving your vehicle a vinegar and water washing. The vinegar will remove the water spots easily due to a natural chemical reaction. However, you will need to rewax your vehicle as it will also strip the wax.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:58 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

Originally Posted by bsc7080tec
Water spots can be removed by giving your vehicle a vinegar and water washing. The vinegar will remove the water spots easily due to a natural chemical reaction. However, you will need to rewax your vehicle as it will also strip the wax.
He already tried that! It's a good tip
Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I use ducky water spot remover. I use it primarily on my jet skis, but occasionally on my vehicles. It has been around for years. You can find it at any boat shop, or online I'm sure.

http://www.gettommys.com/Boat/Boat-A...t-Remover.html