Upgrade from 2011 to 2012

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012 | 04:22 PM
Карты убийцы

Upgrade from 2011 to 2012

Got this email from the dealer...

XXXXXX,

APPLE TREE ACURA would like to thank you for your past business by upgrading your Acura TSX. Our records indicate you are one of the select few customers who should be able to trade in your 2011 Acura TSX and upgrade into a brand new 2012 Acura TSX with little or no money down and a similar monthly payment!

This program will only be available for a limited period of time so please contact XXXX XXXXXX at (XXX) XXX-XXXX to schedule an appointment, or stop by at your convenience with this email.

Thank you,
I'd still want the same setup: V6 w/ Tech and same color combo. The last part can't happen exactly because Bellanova white replaced PWP.

Is this offer even worth entertaining since nothing has really changed from MY?
Old 06-01-2012 | 04:39 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Professor
Got this email from the dealer...

I'd still want the same setup: V6 w/ Tech and same color combo. The last part can't happen exactly because Bellanova white replaced PWP.

Is this offer even worth entertaining since nothing has really changed from MY?
Scam to get you to pay more money. Their goal is to get you into the dealership. They'll keep your same payments but just extend them for 12 years.

Like I said in an earlier post - this is no different that the Nigerian inheritance scam - somebody just wants to take your money.

Oh, the "select few" is anyone who has ever bought a car from that dealership in addition to anyone who has ever had their car serviced there. Doesn't that make you feel special?
The following users liked this post:
Professor (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012 | 05:07 PM
Graphite Ghost

i agree with Ceb!
Old 06-01-2012 | 06:01 PM
Instructor

Yeah, the "select few" is anybody on their mailing list.

All dealers do this sort of phishing. Not just Acura but all brands.
Old 06-01-2012 | 09:28 PM
Instructor

what ceb said plus there is not enough difference between years to even do it.
Old 06-01-2012 | 10:58 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 09TSXer
what ceb said plus there is no difference between years to even do it.
Fixed it for you.

The only way this should even be a consideration is if you are having unresolved issues with your current car.
Old 06-02-2012 | 08:31 AM
CR

Werd! I get these every month for cars I have sold years ago. Or "OMG we would love to buy your car back and offer you top dollar.....and get you into a new car."
Old 06-02-2012 | 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't call it a scam. What the dealer is after is getting back your late model used vehicle. They won't make much money on your swapping for a new car. But they stand to make a much better profit by reselling your used vehicle. There are greater profit margins in selling used cars vs. new cars. They're not trying to scam you. They just want to take advantage of the slightly used vehicle you possess, which they deem an asset. If you're a good money manager and understand the game, sometimes these offers can work in your favor. Unfortunately, most people don't understand numbers and purchase a car solely based on a monthly payment that they think they can afford. If a purchase is made from a payment perspective and not from a financially educated perspective, the individual making the purchase will likely get hosed.
Old 06-02-2012 | 05:58 PM
Racer

I can see how this might be a net neutral for you (same payment, new car, another 3 year lease), but a hard time seeing how this could be a net positive.

Either way, you're still trading cars and you'll be extending your lease another year, so you'll be making another year's worth of payments. And if you're owning, it definitely doesn't pay off. Yes, your payment will be the same, but you'll be making more payments.

Not worth it. I used to get these letters for my parent's Nissan Altima and just threw them all away.
Old 06-02-2012 | 06:06 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by a32tl
I wouldn't call it a scam. What the dealer is after is getting back your late model used vehicle. They won't make much money on your swapping for a new car. But they stand to make a much better profit by reselling your used vehicle. There are greater profit margins in selling used cars vs. new cars. They're not trying to scam you. They just want to take advantage of the slightly used vehicle you possess, which they deem an asset. If you're a good money manager and understand the game, sometimes these offers can work in your favor. Unfortunately, most people don't understand numbers and purchase a car solely based on a monthly payment that they think they can afford. If a purchase is made from a payment perspective and not from a financially educated perspective, the individual making the purchase will likely get hosed.
Merriam Webster defines a scam as "a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation"

Let's look at the deceptive acts in the email. My comments are highlighted

"APPLE TREE ACURA would like to thank you for your past business by upgrading your Acura TSX Horsemanure. Since there is no difference between an 11 and a 12 TSX so there is no "upgrading" and they certainly aren't aren't doing it to thank you.. Our records indicate you are one of the select few customers right. Every customer in their database and every other database they can find. who should should, not will be able to trade in your 2011 Acura TSX and upgrade into a brand new 2012 Acura TSX with little or no money down wanna bet you'll have to put some cash down? and a similar what's similar? An extra $10 a month? An extra $50? monthly payment!

This program will only be available for a limited period of time limited to your lifetime so please contact XXXX XXXXXX at (XXX) XXX-XXXX to schedule an appointment, or stop by at your convenience with this email."

This email is certainly deceptive and intended to get you into the dealership. Since the intent is to get more money from you, it certainly falls under the definition of a scam.
Old 06-03-2012 | 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
Merriam Webster defines a scam as "a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation"

Let's look at the deceptive acts in the email. My comments are highlighted

"APPLE TREE ACURA would like to thank you for your past business by upgrading your Acura TSX Horsemanure. Since there is no difference between an 11 and a 12 TSX so there is no "upgrading" and they certainly aren't aren't doing it to thank you.. Our records indicate you are one of the select few customers right. Every customer in their database and every other database they can find. who should should, not will be able to trade in your 2011 Acura TSX and upgrade into a brand new 2012 Acura TSX with little or no money down wanna bet you'll have to put some cash down? and a similar what's similar? An extra $10 a month? An extra $50? monthly payment!

This program will only be available for a limited period of time limited to your lifetime so please contact XXXX XXXXXX at (XXX) XXX-XXXX to schedule an appointment, or stop by at your convenience with this email."

This email is certainly deceptive and intended to get you into the dealership. Since the intent is to get more money from you, it certainly falls under the definition of a scam.
Wow....one of the few times anyone has ever responded to a comment I've made and it's a negative one. Personally, I don't see a case for fraud here. But you're certainly entitled to view it from any perspective you so choose and I would never try to deny you that right.
Old 06-03-2012 | 08:22 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by a32tl
Wow....one of the few times anyone has ever responded to a comment I've made and it's a negative one. Personally, I don't see a case for fraud here. But you're certainly entitled to view it from any perspective you so choose and I would never try to deny you that right.
It wasn't negative at all - at least not directed towards you.

I wouldn't call it fraud, but it certainly is deceptive. The ad is written to imply that you are getting something for nothing and that they are offering you a special deal that is unavailable to others.

In this case, all they need to do is make you an offer close to what you owe on your car and a deal close to what they gave you originally and there you have your "special" deal. Then they back off a bit and charge you a little more and your payments will remain "close" to your current payments.

Accordingly, because of the deception, it meets the definition of a scam.
Old 06-04-2012 | 07:19 AM
Racer

Marketing and sales folks call this "mining the customer base" and in this case I also consider it a deceptive practice. Of course it isn't considered legally fraudulent since all details of the exchange are documented and hopefully disclosed at closing time. It's a hook that offers the sales team face time with you and yet another opportunity to move product. It's potentially a win-win-win for them. As others have noted, they resell your trade at substantial profit as a "pre-owned" vehicle, make more on your new purchase, but if they're really lucky they up-sell you to a higher profit machine.