TSX w/ Tech Pkg vs. TSX V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010 | 01:52 AM
Advanced

TSX w/ Tech Pkg vs. TSX V6

Okay I previously posted a thread about purchasing a TL-s and a TSX. TL-S is out of the picture, insurance premiums are ridiculous; and the fact that I can't seem to find a clean one around here is part of the problem too. A regular 07/08 TL in my choice exterior colours is just as rare...

I decided to look at other cars, but recently Acura has started pushing sales on the 2010 models and Im probably able to pull off at least $6000 in cash rebates.

Now keep in mind Im in Canada, so our TSX's have 3 trim levels plus the V6 models. There's the basic, which basically is cloth seats and no HID or fogs; there's the premium, which is the US base model and the tech pkg model.
(Which is ridiculous, b/c our models are already marked up, shipping is marked up, and there's a 2k difference in auto and manual models.... anyhow /rant)

Assuming I get an agreeable price, Im definitely looking at purchasing the premium model (US base model).
However, Im also looking at the V6 and the tech models. I test drove the Tech model and I gotta say, its definitely flashy having that GPS there lit up.
However, my need of a Nav System is pretty much non-existent. My city is large, but here (and several other large cities) just use a street numbering system which is very easy to navigate. If anything, having the Tech model, its only for show.

The interesting thing is that the V6 base model is the same price as the Tech model. I might also consider this model when crunching numbers with the salesperson. But the thing is, I also don't have much use for the power. YEs I considered buying a TL-S, but that's because the exterior was too good to pass up.

Anyhow TL;DR:
The point of the thread is, if you had the choice, would you get the V6 base or the 4-banger with Navi since they are the same price.
Im just curious about ppl's preference. I suppose this is a power vs luxury thing?
Personally Im sitting on the fence; interior wise, the tech looks that much more sophisticated, while the V6 brings more power and slight exterior changes.

Oh and also, those who've test drove the V6 and I-4; torque and power aside, is there much of a difference in steering and handling? Ive still yet to test drive a V6.
Old 11-26-2010 | 07:52 AM
kgs
Advanced

I have a 2010 4-cyl tech and absolutely love it. While I have never driven the V6, I used to have a 6-cyl BMW 325xi and have had no issues adjusting down to the 4-cyl. The TSX has got a lot of pep for a 4-cyl imo.

For me, the tech package is all about the ELS sound system. It blew away the system in the base model demo I test drove and even blows away the Harman-Kardon system I had in my BMW. The quality of the surround sound is simply amazing. So my is that if you really care about the quality of the music you listen to, go for the tech model over the V6.
Old 11-26-2010 | 09:27 AM
Intermediate

I got the I4 tech and regret not going for the Base V6 instead.
Old 11-26-2010 | 09:46 AM
Racer

i got base v6 over the i4 w/ tech because the extra torque and power is GLORIOUS! IMO there is no pep in the i4. since i drive mostly on the highway, i wanted a car that can easily pass other cars and the i4 just couldn't do it.
Old 11-26-2010 | 09:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Prior to owning my '09 TSX 6MT I4, I've never owned a 4 cylinder vehicle. In my opinion, the 6MT TSX I4 has plenty of pep, not to mention that insurance premiums are low on it.

That being said, I would not get the I4 in an auto... too slow IMHO. I would imagine that a V6 TSX would be fun as hell, but 1.) too heavy, and 2.) just not worth the extra $8-10k in my opinion...
Old 11-26-2010 | 09:56 AM
Pro

I got the v6 base in canada back in march. Whether you chose the l4 or the v6, i recommend the base model (i.e. What they call here the premium) instead of the tech for the following reasons:
1) the nav in the tech is already outdated compared to others in its class. Dvd bases and low resolution screen, no touch screen etc. If younlook at what ford is offering, ours sucks!!
2) some anecdotal reports of the amp in the (otherwise fanstic) els sound system may be blowing speakers.
3) the base sound system is adequate.

You may have trouble finding the trim and color you are looking for in stock. My dealer here in ontario is sold out of the v6 and have only black techs and one white tech in stock.
Yep the rebates make it attractive though. Makes the price closer to what our american cousins are used to paying. I got 6,000 off the base v6 (combined factory incentive and deal markup rebate). Otherwise i was not buying it!! good luck!

Last edited by TSXV6Guy; 11-26-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-26-2010 | 10:17 AM
kgs
Advanced

since i drive mostly on the highway, i wanted a car that can easily pass other cars and the i4 just couldn't do it.
I didn't have any problems blowing away a 4g TL commuting into work this morning....he was doggin' it in the left lane and I had NO problem zooming around him in the right lane quickly. I have a auto and haven't had any problems passing anyone

some anecdotal reports of the amp in the (otherwise fanstic) els sound system may be blowing speakers.
I was worried about this after reading all the reviews and haven't had any issues with my speakers....and I listen to music LOUD sometimes....up to 30
Old 11-26-2010 | 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you are looking for a 5AT model vs the 6MT, then go with the Base/Premium V6.

I absolutely love my I4 6MT tech model, but you can't locate them easily on any dealer's lot.

Most dealer in Canada stock only a small number of V6 model, so your choice may be limited compare to an I4 model. Good luck
Old 11-26-2010 | 06:42 PM
Intermediate

I have the I4 tech TSX, and I don't drive that much, so I can't say much about the power and passing abilities of the I4 vs. V6.

Take a look at this review from Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Bottom line: the I4 is more driveable and more fun to drive, while the V6 is more powerful (but the heavier engine creates more oversteer from worse front-rear weight distribution). The article comes down in favor of the I4, and other car magazines have reached the same conclusion.

In the United States, the tech I4 is much cheaper than the base V6, so for me it was clear choice for someone who doesn't drive that much with very few highway miles; the I4 has better mileage and the amenities of the tech package make my experience more fun.

I think most people in the US would rather buy a BMW 3-series or Infiniti G37 (base versions) than a V6 TSX, although it may be heresy to suggest that on this website and the pricing may be different in Canada.

Another option to consider if you're looking at the V6 TSX is a TL. Here's an interesting article from Canadian Driver:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/1...a-tsx-v6.htm/2
Old 11-27-2010 | 06:05 PM
Advanced

Alright I guess I never escaped the Acura pull...tried the hyundai's and beamers...I decided to hop onto the TSX bandwagon

So the other day I test drove the 4-banger a 2nd time and I just couldn't get around the steering feeling. It was very responsive but it felt very vague.

So I'm in the V6 today, and there was a small by distinct difference. Steering and the car itself felt noticeably heavier - which I loved. Some torque steer, but if you're holding onto the wheel properly, it can be quickly corrected and easily controlled. Engine sound was much more pleasing to the ear. And the suspension system could handle a lot more body roll. Even though the car felt heavier, it still felt just as nimble. It was very easy to dart in and around traffic and while doing some parallel parking and I got in-and-out very easily.

Anyhow, as soon as I left the parking lot, I knew I would only be negotiating for a V6 and not the 4-banger. And in the end I think I got a decent deal using cash rebates and knowledge of their wholesale price; gave them a slightly moderate markup %, and I think this was one of the very few V6 left on the Canadian market.

Would have preferred a PWP model, but none of them exist anymore as brand new so I opted for a CBP and ebony V6 base

My only gripes currently (so far) with the car is the two-toned interior colours (why is the upper half of the interior in this weird vanilla colour?), the weird nerf-like dash material, the fact the backs of the seats aren't heated and the small but thick steering wheel. Hopefully that's all you're going to hear me complain about
Old 11-27-2010 | 07:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by b.ike
Alright I guess I never escaped the Acura pull...tried the hyundai's and beamers...I decided to hop onto the TSX bandwagon

So the other day I test drove the 4-banger a 2nd time and I just couldn't get around the steering feeling. It was very responsive but it felt very vague.

So I'm in the V6 today, and there was a small by distinct difference. Steering and the car itself felt noticeably heavier - which I loved. Some torque steer, but if you're holding onto the wheel properly, it can be quickly corrected and easily controlled. Engine sound was much more pleasing to the ear. And the suspension system could handle a lot more body roll. Even though the car felt heavier, it still felt just as nimble. It was very easy to dart in and around traffic and while doing some parallel parking and I got in-and-out very easily.

Anyhow, as soon as I left the parking lot, I knew I would only be negotiating for a V6 and not the 4-banger. And in the end I think I got a decent deal using cash rebates and knowledge of their wholesale price; gave them a slightly moderate markup %, and I think this was one of the very few V6 left on the Canadian market.

Would have preferred a PWP model, but none of them exist anymore as brand new so I opted for a CBP and ebony V6 base

My only gripes currently (so far) with the car is the two-toned interior colours (why is the upper half of the interior in this weird vanilla colour?), the weird nerf-like dash material, the fact the backs of the seats aren't heated and the small but thick steering wheel. Hopefully that's all you're going to hear me complain about
ah actually the 4 banger 6 speed manual beats the v6 in the cornering. its much lighter in the front and specially if you fit sport suspensions it's so awesome. V6 TSX = torque and under steer. those double wishbone front suspensions are superb. i personally prefer the 6MT with 4 banger, you feel more in control and its a lot more fun than the 5 speed auto v6. if you want my say get the 201hp Tech manual, its the best manual sedan ever.

Last edited by pickler; 11-27-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2010 | 10:15 AM
Advanced

personally i would go for tech i4 over v6 .. but then again i drive minimum 100km (60 miles?) a day. need to save frigen gas lol and i rather have all the tech then have a bigger engine. i personally dont plan to drag race anyone with my tsx? others might... but i might rather get a weekend awd or rwd car to have that fun. just my 2cents
Old 11-30-2010 | 10:00 AM
10th Gear

Congrats! I read your earlier comparison thread a while back. You have chosen wisely

I felt the same as you after driving the I4 and V6 back to back. I came from an '06 TSX so driving the 2010 4 banger felt about the same. When I took the V6 out though, I quickly realized I'd be going with that engine if I went with Acura again. I also drove the 3.5L TL Tech (same engine) and it felt too tame for me - sort of like what the I4 TSX felt like. It was about the same price as the V6 TSX Tech. In the end, I went all out and got the V6 Tech as I didn't have Navi in my last TSX and wanted it in this one - I personally prefer to drive a fully loaded V6 TSX than a stripped down base model TL just to say that I drive a TL (plus I couldn't get past the look of the TL or the fact that the rear seats didn't fold down).

Have fun!

Originally Posted by b.ike