The TSX V6 is a waste of money.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
The TSX V6 is a waste of money.

Alright don't get me wrong, i love the TSX and i have a 2004 tsx. But making a v6 is a mistake by acura. people are not going to buy it and the reason is that its the same starting price as a TL!

The new v6 tsx starts at 34,000 while the TL does as well.

Why not just buy a TL? a much better car, if you are going to pay 34 grand anyway?

it makes no sense. If acura had any sense, they would lower the price of the regular tsx a couple thousand and then keep the v6 model at around 31-32 thousand.

Most people trying to buy a new car would just go with a TL because its the same price for a better car.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deepen03
Alright don't get me wrong, i love the TSX and i have a 2004 tsx. But making a v6 is a mistake by acura. people are not going to buy it and the reason is that its the same starting price as a TL!

The new v6 tsx starts at 34,000 while the TL does as well.

Why not just buy a TL? a much better car, if you are going to pay 34 grand anyway?

it makes no sense. If acura had any sense, they would lower the price of the regular tsx a couple thousand and then keep the v6 model at around 31-32 thousand.

Most people trying to buy a new car would just go with a TL because its the same price for a better car.

I think your logic is sound, it should have been closer in price to the 4. The 2009 4 needed a bit more power not a whole new engine.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they made the tsx v6 because of the huge dissappointment the new TL was. i personally love the TL, especially the sh-awd version. they are just trying to salvage the customers that would leave to other brands with the tsx v6, which is very similar to the previous TL (best TL evar!!!)
Old 07-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by Farage
they made the tsx v6 because of the huge dissappointment the new TL was. i personally love the TL, especially the sh-awd version. they are just trying to salvage the customers that would leave to other brands with the tsx v6, which is very similar to the previous TL (best TL evar!!!)
yea but thats my bottom line. the new TL (I haven't driven it personally), but i know that its probably a much smoother ride than the TSX.

We have a 2003 TL and it runs a lot smoother than my 2004 tsx.

So i would figure a 2009 TL is much better than a TSX as well.

Why would they charge the same price for a TSX v6 as a TL? The TL has so many more features than the TSX and its a more of a luxury car than the TSX.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I personally think the TSX is MUCH better looking than the TL, and based on that alone, I'd get a V6 TSX over a TL. I do think the price is a little high, but I honestly don't think they'll actually sell for MSRP. Just look at the prices people are getting for the TL....they're crazy low. The TSX will come down as well.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
It's all about auto companies "tiering up" their lines. i.e. putting TSX in the TL price range, putting TL's in a higher price range, etc.

I assume this is how auto companies phase in and phase out new models. I however, don't think it's always a great idea.

I mean a fully loaded TL can cost you $45k now? Who the hell shells out that much for a TL?
Old 07-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

At least there are options now. People have been complaining for years that Acura needs to offer choices. Well, now you have some. For those who don't want to shell out the extra money for the V6, there is still the 4 banger.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually I think that was the best thing about Acura was their lack of options. The whole concept of a Navi system been the only option (outside of ground effects kits and the A-Spec) to me was a brilliant idea. It allowed Acura to bulid the vehicle the without having to worry about all these custom options and make the build process simpler. They included all the options that 95% of the population wanted. Sunroof, power seats, power mirrors, leather, traction control, top line stereo system, steering wheel control, dual climate control, 5 speed auto, etc.

Look at building similar cars like a Mazda 6 or Nissan Altima (one of the worse offenders when it comes to option list right next to Porsche), and you can see the logic. Nissan makes you pay extra for every feature they know you want in the car. I don't like the multi level pricing that Acura is doing now. It's putting them dangerously close to the Germans and if that were to happen......Well we all know the result.

Last edited by Cheezes; 07-01-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added text
Old 07-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The two vehicles drive differently and are different sizes.

People had the same argument about the 5 and 6 cylinder TL verses the RL, claiming that the 3.2 TL was a 'waste of money'
Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
The V6 TSX was in the plans from the start. I said it before the cars came out last year that there were plans for 3 engine options. One turned out to the the stillborn diesel but the V6 is here.

I think the V6 price is due to the changing yen-dollar exchange ratio. It cost of Japan production cannot be underestimated. Also remember it is assumed at this point that the engine is shipped form Anna OH to Japan for assembly. More added cost. I suspect the Insight was also caught out as it's price seems to be a little higher than was originally hinted at.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The two vehicles drive differently and are different sizes.
Why are you making excuses? They're both somewhat bloated F/F's. I don't see the logic in paying 37k for an Accord V6 with xenon's.

Okay, so whoopty do, you can get the AWD TL, but its ugly and a pig to boot.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 AM
8th Gear

Why would they charge the same price for a TSX v6 as a TL? The TL has so many more features than the TSX and its a more of a luxury car than the TSX.
That used to be the case, but at this point, it really isn't so. The new TSX has more features than the older TL and is very comparable to the new TL. I think a lot of people prefer the look of the TSX at this point as it resembles the previous TL much more than the current TL.

What features do you believe to be lacking in the TSX compared to the TL?

As it stands, the new TSX is more of a sequel to the previous TL in terms of looks and features. Addin a V6 to the mix brings it right up there with it. The new TL, like the current Accord, is a much larger car than both the TSX and the previous TL.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Patiently waiting ...

If acura had any sense, they would lower the price of the regular tsx a couple thousand
Because that's so easy. I love it when people talk and have no clue.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:38 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Do you really think it's a better car?

If there were a V6 option when I purchased mine, I still would have chosen the I4 on account of a lack of 6MT availability. The fact that the TSX had never had a V6 did make me feel comfortable in the thought they wouldn't offer a V6.

I'd take a Japan produced "lesser" vehicle over a US one anyday.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Cheezes
Actually I think that was the best thing about Acura was their lack of options. The whole concept of a Navi system been the only option (outside of ground effects kits and the A-Spec) to me was a brilliant idea. It allowed Acura to bulid the vehicle the without having to worry about all these custom options and make the build process simpler. They included all the options that 95% of the population wanted. Sunroof, power seats, power mirrors, leather, traction control, top line stereo system, steering wheel control, dual climate control, 5 speed auto, etc.

Look at building similar cars like a Mazda 6 or Nissan Altima (one of the worse offenders when it comes to option list right next to Porsche), and you can see the logic. Nissan makes you pay extra for every feature they know you want in the car. I don't like the multi level pricing that Acura is doing now. It's putting them dangerously close to the Germans and if that were to happen......Well we all know the result.
I wasn't speaking about those kinds of options. I'm talking engine options. I think most people agree that having a long list of standard features is nice and easier to deal with.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dark1x
What features do you believe to be lacking in the TSX compared to the TL?

As it stands, the new TSX is more of a sequel to the previous TL in terms of looks and features. Addin a V6 to the mix brings it right up there with it. The new TL, like the current Accord, is a much larger car than both the TSX and the previous TL.
I've been in both the TL and TSX and I think the TL has always had a nicer interior. Hard painted plastic is a little too prominent in the TSX for my tastes.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,984 Likes on 14,494 Posts
Plus...that is the ALL THE RAGE BRAND NEW PRICE...I'm sure once the buzz is done...the more realistic price of 31ish will set in. Like the SH-AWD...they were on backorder last year...looking for 43K+ for it with NO bargaining room...now you can get them down to 37 for one.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Why are you making excuses? They're both somewhat bloated F/F's. I don't see the logic in paying 37k for an Accord V6 with xenon's.

Then don't buy one. It's obviously not meant for someone like you who can't appreciate all that the V6 TSX has to offer. Move along.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Breako
who can't appreciate all that the V6 TSX has to offer.
Since you've obviously test driven one, please enlighten us.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Proud Acura Owner

well, the point of my thread wasn't to create a TL vs. TSX warzone.

Im just saying that acura should lower the price of the v6 tsx to set it apart from the TL.

you can't charge the same price for a the TSX which is a lower model than the TL. Im not saying the TSX sucks, because i have one, and its a great car.

What im saying is other luxury companies like lexus and infiniti set apart the prices of each of their respective models by a lot.

A TL is higher in the luxury department than the TSX, so the TSX V6 should obviously not be the same MSRP as a TL.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

well, the point of my thread wasn't to create a TL vs. TSX warzone.

Im just saying that acura should lower the price of the v6 tsx to set it apart from the TL.

you can't charge the same price for a the TSX which is a lower model than the TL. Im not saying the TSX sucks, because i have one, and its a great car.

What im saying is other luxury companies like lexus and infiniti set apart the prices of each of their respective models by a lot.

A TL is higher in the luxury department than the TSX, so the TSX V6 should obviously not be the same MSRP as a TL.
According to Lexus' site, the models are not that far apart.

IS250 RWD starting at $31,xxx
IS250 AWD starting at $35,xxx
IS350 starting at $37,6xx
ES350 starting at $34,xxx

I could keep going, but the point is that they overlap when the cheaper models get different engine choices and more options.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci

I'm not making excuses, I'm simply saying they're not as redundant as some people claim them to be.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dom
Since you've obviously test driven one, please enlighten us.
Smooth, abundant power; engaging handling; practicality that its competitors lack; and a high quality interior all for a price that makes its competition seem overpriced.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:45 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Smooth, abundant power; engaging handling; practicality that its competitors lack; and a high quality interior all for a price that makes its competition seem overpriced.
So you actually have test driven one?

I was trying to be a smart ass.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:46 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I'm not making excuses, I'm simply saying they're not as redundant as some people claim them to be.
I don't see them as redundant either. But they're still too closely priced IMO.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The price will make sense if v6 tsx will be TSX Sports Edition which include front bumper spoiler, side and rear..
Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
4 cylinder TSX has 36 feet turn while V6 has 38feet. this another difference.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:22 AM
MMC Racing Owner

At the new price point for the V6, it is on par with a G37 Sedan which will still have a lot more power, can be had in manual or auto, and is RWD. Maybe you are talking about a BMW 328 as a comparison?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
At the new price point for the V6, it is on par with a G37 Sedan which will still have a lot more power, can be had in manual or auto, and is RWD. Maybe you are talking about a BMW 328 as a comparison?
But what if someone just doesn't want a Nissan?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get a V6 TSX over a FWD TL any day. The TSX is a good looking car while the TL is just plain nasty looking.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 PM
MMC Racing Owner

Originally Posted by Colin
But what if someone just doesn't want a Nissan?
Then you are buying more on emotion or some other factor like looks. I thought this was more a value proposition question?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

The G37 is also behind in fuel economy, isn't as practical (no folding rear seat), isn't an IIHS top safety pick, no USB music port, and also is a rebadged Nissan. I'll take cars sold both as Hondas and Acuras to cars sold as Infinitis and Nissans any day. And the 328i is about $6000 more than the Acura comparably equipped - What a rip-off!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Then you are buying more on emotion or some other factor like looks. I thought this was more a value proposition question?
And don't most buyers of luxury cars use a little emotion in their decision? The point was that you preach the value of one brand over the other based on your value system. It does not apply to everyone. So while it may be 'obvious' to you, it is not to all.

Look at it another way: Nissan is out there. The G35 came out around 2002-03. If everybody felt this way it would be nissanzine. Yet many posters here refuse to buy it and instead whine and moan that Acura is not doing the same thing. Why complain about it? Go buy the Nissan. It's there waiting. They have incentives. They want your business. It is the logical thing to do.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 PM
MMC Racing Owner

The G37 is also behind in fuel economy, isn't as practical (no folding rear seat), isn't an IIHS top safety pick, no USB music port, and also is a rebadged Nissan. I'll take cars sold both as Hondas and Acuras to cars sold as Infinitis and Nissans any day. And the 328i is about $6000 more than the Acura comparably equipped - What a rip-off!
Has fuel economy been announced for the V6 TSX yet? Just want to make sure you are keeping apples to oranges.. Power doesn't come free, so I'd expect it to be behind.

My G37 coupe has a folding rear seat - you sure the sedan does not?

No USB Music port - but has a compact flash slot. Also has audio AND video inputs in the center console.

You are talking about rebadging? Really?

Your arguments =
Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 PM
MMC Racing Owner

Originally Posted by Colin
And don't most buyers of luxury cars use a little emotion in their decision? The point was that you preach the value of one brand over the other based on your value system. It does not apply to everyone. So while it may be 'obvious' to you, it is not to all.

Look at it another way: Nissan is out there. The G35 came out around 2002-03. If everybody felt this way it would be nissanzine. Yet many posters here refuse to buy it and instead whine and moan that Acura is not doing the same thing. Why complain about it? Go buy the Nissan. It's there waiting. They have incentives. They want your business. It is the logical thing to do.
I'm not even sure what you are arguing. The entire point of the thread is now that the TSX is stepping up power and price - did it lose some of its cost advantage. The answer is - yes it lost all of it. So now a more direct comparison of other factors can be made.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 PM
MMC Racing Owner

The G37 is also behind in fuel economy,
Did the research:
TSX V6 - 18/27MPG 280HP 3680lb weight
G37 Sedan - 18/26MPG 328HP 3590lb weight

Lets see, 1MPG highway loss for an additonal 48HP and 90lb less.. I'll take that tradeoff 100 out of 100 times.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Banned

Has fuel economy been announced for the V6 TSX yet? Just want to make sure you are keeping apples to oranges.. Power doesn't come free, so I'd expect it to be behind.

My G37 coupe has a folding rear seat - you sure the sedan does not?

No USB Music port - but has a compact flash slot. Also has audio AND video inputs in the center console.

You are talking about rebadging? Really?

Your arguments =
The G37 has only a pass through - lame.
Compact flash is so early 2000s. Get with the program, Infiniti!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Did the research:
TSX V6 - 18/27MPG 280HP 3680lb weight
G37 Sedan - 18/26MPG 328HP 3590lb weight

Lets see, 1MPG highway loss for an additonal 48HP and 90lb less.. I'll take that tradeoff 100 out of 100 times.
I'll take the extra weight and the superior crash ratings that it brings with it.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:49 PM
MMC Racing Owner

I'll take the extra weight and the superior crash ratings that it brings with it.
Not an engineer I take it? Pure weight numbers means nothing, it is more important where it is located. The V6 TSX has a terrible 63/38 weight distribution.

So by your logic it must be better in front end collisions right? Because that is where all its weight is.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 PM
MMC Racing Owner

The G37 has only a pass through - lame.
Compact flash is so early 2000s. Get with the program, Infiniti!
Sort of like having memory positions for the seat, but not for the mirrors or steering column?

Sort of like using slow DVD navigation instead of HD or flash based?

Too easy..

Quick Reply: The TSX V6 is a waste of money.