TSX to Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TSX to Accord

After owning 2010 6sp and a 2012 SE, I decided to go back to the V6 Navi Coupe HFP without the wheels. What you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails TSX to Accord-imag0052.jpg   TSX to Accord-imag0058.jpg   TSX to Accord-img_00011.jpg  

Last edited by TSXCHI99; 08-22-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I like... except for the '12 taillights on the accord. Did you go with the 6MT?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ressling
I like... except for the '12 taillights on the accord. Did you go with the 6MT?
YUP
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Very nice! I've always been a fan of the Accord Coupe. Congratulations.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
didnt like the se?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
i prefer the tsx interior but both cars are very similar
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by denwhat
didnt like the se?
I wish I had the SE interior in the accord but the SE made an annoying popping sound that wouldn't go away. not that much difference between the cars but the power is quite noticeable and little better handling. I had a 2008 Coupe when they first came out but it was an auto.

Trending Topics

Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts
I wouldn't mind going with the Accord if it had HID projectors built in from the factory. I had to spend a fortune to retrofit my Civic and after doing that, I could never go back to halogen. It may sound silly, but it's so difficult to go back. That's part of the reason I went with an Acura in the first place other than the better looks and such.
Nice Accord though.

Ahhhh, you had that ball joint problem that we're all having. It's driving me nuts - sort of miss my RDX all of a sudden because of this.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Why didn't you wait for the new Accord to come out and see if u like the new design more?
The following users liked this post:
EzeE1o (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I wouldn't mind going with the Accord if it had HID projectors built in from the factory. I had to spend a fortune to retrofit my Civic and after doing that, I could never go back to halogen. It may sound silly, but it's so difficult to go back. That's part of the reason I went with an Acura in the first place other than the better looks and such.
Nice Accord though.

Ahhhh, you had that ball joint problem that we're all having. It's driving me nuts - sort of miss my RDX all of a sudden because of this.
the coupes allready have projectors just need a hid kit unless your talking sedan then no i just threw them in my wifes cause i cant see at night and it helped alot not a nice cut off but i dont care.

oh and love the coupe i would buy an hfp one with the wheels if i could afford it.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:40 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by odus
the coupes allready have projectors just need a hid kit unless your talking sedan then no i just threw them in my wifes cause i cant see at night and it helped alot not a nice cut off but i dont care.

oh and love the coupe i would buy an hfp one with the wheels if i could afford it.
Projectors are not projectors. Because of the differences in HID bulb design, a housing made for a halogen bulb will not work for an HID bulb and vice versa.

A halogen filament goes side to side while a HID bulb arcs front to rear. Here's why such a mod is a bad idea.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ceb
Projectors are not projectors. Because of the differences in HID bulb design, a housing made for a halogen bulb will not work for an HID bulb and vice versa.

A halogen filament goes side to side while a HID bulb arcs front to rear. Here's why such a mod is a bad idea.
This.

That's why my Civic's HID conversion had a retro-fitted setup with TSX projectors. Halogen projectors are not the same as HID projectors because of the reasons listed above.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

This.

That's why my Civic's HID conversion had a retro-fitted setup with TSX projectors. Halogen projectors are not the same as HID projectors because of the reasons listed above.
Yea i got the DDM hid 35k slim 5000k for cheap cheap it looks close but im half blind anyway. No complaints there
Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrstak
Why didn't you wait for the new Accord to come out and see if u like the new design more?
I was but figured the first year was always full of problems like the 2008 Accord V6 i had transmission issues and oil burning. hey its a free swap so im not complaining
Old 08-23-2012, 08:53 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TSXCHI99
Yea i got the DDM hid 35k slim 5000k for cheap cheap it looks close but im half blind anyway. No complaints there
I had a far more expensive HID kit made by Xenon Depot that was awesome but cost me $200. The projectors and retro-fit were much more to add on top so my total was nearly $1,000.

And the HIDs will provide better lighting in your setup but no where near as good in a proper setup. Sadly, you may be blinding others depending on that specific projector you have dispenses light.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
Before purchasing my TSX, I was looking into Accord coupes. I decided that having 4 doors (for more whores) was more convenient. My previous car was a '98 Civic Coupe and I used to hate having to get out of the car to let people out of the back. I wish the Accord Sedans looked as good as the coupes.

Sweet pick-up though. Enjoy it! 6 + 6 = FUN!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Burning Brakes

actually your all wrong halogen projectors are just as good as ours don't care what any of you say your all such anal retentive people when it comes to simple stuff. my scion tc had some a better cut off than this tsx does. hell 20 times better than my 350z with hids stock.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I had a far more expensive HID kit made by Xenon Depot that was awesome but cost me $200. The projectors and retro-fit were much more to add on top so my total was nearly $1,000.

And the HIDs will provide better lighting in your setup but no where near as good in a proper setup. Sadly, you may be blinding others depending on that specific projector you have dispenses light.
true but if you adjust them you can get pretty damn close our 8thgen doesn't blind one bit.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I have no complaints about using aftermarket HIDs in my stock halogen projectors. Although the aftermarket HID output is not being maximized because the focal points are different, the output of HIDs in halogen projectors are far better than halogen bulbs.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 AM
AZ Community Team

true but if you adjust them you can get pretty damn close our 8thgen doesn't blind one bit.
actually your all wrong halogen projectors are just as good as ours don't care what any of you say your all such anal retentive people when it comes to simple stuff. my scion tc had some a better cut off than this tsx does. hell 20 times better than my 350z with hids stock.
No, you can ask anyone who retrofits headlights if the quality if the same and all of them would say "NO". It's been explained above about the way the projector is cut and how the output is sent out through the projector. As a matter of fact, Acura (Honda) makes some of the best projectors on the market. For a non bi-xenon setup, the top two projectors recommended by retrofitters are:

1.) Honda S2000
2.) Acura TSX

Granted, I believe the most preferred TSX projectors were back from the earlier years during it's first generation. However, I think one thing we will all agree on is that driving without HIDs after having them for a long time is nearly impossible in the sense that we're used to the light.

When I originally did a HID setup in my Civic, I just did a plug and play. The cutoff was great for a halogen reflector setup, but there was still that slight glare. That's why I went with the expensive retrofit job and never turned away. I will never own another car without HIDs standard or a better technology. If the Scion does well, cool. But most halogen projectors are not great because of the way they're produced. And even if you think it looks good, I bet there is something about it that makes the TSX projector superior such as range, length, brightness, cutoff, etc.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ogen-projector

Trust me, people at HID Planet know their stuff

Not sure if these are projectors as all he said is PnP, but this beam pattern is horrid.

When a headlight, any headlight, is designed the first decision made is which bulb to use. The headlight is then designed around the physical and optical characteristics of the bulb.

It is important to note that a halogen bulb is optically very different from a HID bulb.

The filament of the halogen bulb is (usually) about 5mm long, is straight, and produces a single hot spot of light in the very centre of the filament. The hotspot is considered a pin-point light source and the physical halogen headlight is designed to capture and focus light emanating from the single pin-point light source.

The HID discharge arc is approx 5mm long, is curved, and has two distinct hotspots. The hotspots are at either end of the arc (at the electrodes) and are 5mm apart. Each hotspot is a pin-point light source. The two pin-point light sources of the arc are 5mm apart. The physical HID headlight is designed to capture and focus light emanating from two distinct pin-point light sources.

The optical incompatibility of the halogen headlight and the HID arc arises because the halogen headlight is not designed to work with two pin-point light sources. It can only work with a single pin-point light source. So what happens when a HID capsule is used in a halogen headlight? If the manufacturer of the rebased HID bulb is extremely lucky one of the two pin-point light sources will align with where the single halogen bulb pin-point light source should be and all is well. Well, not really. All is well until we consider the second pin-point light source of the arc. This is going to create havoc with the light assembly's abilty to capture and focus light. The halogen assembly, in effect, does not know what to do with the extra light. In reality what happens is that the halogen assembly, even a halogen projector assembly, is going to start spewing light where it was never intended to be spewed. This is the glare that ALL, repeat ALL, halogen headlights generate when used with rebased bulbs. Some generate more glare than others but they ALL generate excessive glare. Even the headlights in your truck do so, and they do so whether or not you're willing to open your mind and accept it. Some halogen assemblies will glare more than others when used with a HID bulb but they ALL glare excessively. There's simply no getting around the physical differences of the two bulb types.

More often than not neither of the two arc pin-point light sources are going to be aligned with where the halogen bulb hotspot should be. This creates even bigger problems and usually a lot more glare.

So what about the vendors that claim their rebased bulbs are aligned to halogen specs? The vendors are either lying through their teeth or they're totally ignorant of the differences between halogen bulbs and HID bulbs.

So I've answered your question and I have no intention of arguing the point any farther with you. I fully expect you to come back and say how the laws of physics are wrong and how the rebased HID bulbs in your truck don't cause problems for other drivers. Feel free to continue living in la-la dream-land while claiming that your setup is different from any other rebased bulb setup.

I have personally tested dozens and dozens of halogen headlights, even the type in your truck, with HID kits and not one of them did not generate excessive levels of glare.
Sorry for the thread high-jack. I really love the Accord.

Last edited by KrylonBlue; 08-24-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
I had an HID Extra HID kit in my 6-6 Accord coupe and it was far better than the halogen bulbs (with no glare)but not as good a car with factory hid projectors.With that said, I'm not THAT anal about those types of things as the 6-6 Accord, powertrain wise, its probably the best Honda/Acura out there (for performance and driving experience) other than the s2000. My 6-6 Accord was a beast.

OP enjoy yours. I just purchased a TSX yesterday and while the TSX interior is similar it is better built than the Accord's BUT the driving experience I miss everyday from my Accord. Enjoy!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

more pics of the accord