TSX 09 & iPhone 4S - Cellular Phonebook Issues (Greyed Out)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TSX 09 & iPhone 4S - Cellular Phonebook Issues (Greyed Out)?

Hi,

I checked my phone on the HFL website and I see the iPhone 4S is compatible. I can play music through the bluetooth of my iPhone through my TSX car with no issues.

However, for some reason I can't access "Cellular Phonebook" from the "Info" menu; this selection is greyed out. I have the latest iOS installed on my iPhone 4S; so I don't know why I'm having this issue.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Also, is there anyone here who has been able to successfully import their phonebook from an iPhone 4S with the latest iOS into their system?

Thank you,

olimits7
Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by olimits7
Hi,

I checked my phone on the HFL website and I see the iPhone 4S is compatible. I can play music through the bluetooth of my iPhone through my TSX car with no issues.

However, for some reason I can't access "Cellular Phonebook" from the "Info" menu; this selection is greyed out. I have the latest iOS installed on my iPhone 4S; so I don't know why I'm having this issue.

Also, is there anyone here who has been able to successfully import their phonebook from an iPhone 4S with the latest iOS into their system?

Thank you,

olimits7
What carrier?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 PM
10th Gear

It's AT&T...
Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Tech or no tech? Do you have phonebook transfer enabled on the iPhone?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM
10th Gear

Yes, I have the TSX tech navi package. I'm not sure, I didn't know the iPhone had an option like this; where would this be located under?

Thank you,

olimits7
Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Here are some things to consider

Apple and Oranges
Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am having the same issue with mine. i have a 11' tech and a iphone 4s with at&t. when i first bought the car i had the phone book in there, and i noticed it wouldnt update when contacts changed, so i deleted the phone book and have never got it to re-install. i was told by the dealer call acura tech support. i dont have time for that. it just sits there saying importing, but never works. i did learn that the TSX will not auto sync contact changes, so you have to delete and re-import. the TL however will do it automatically.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by atlACURAboi
I am having the same issue with mine. i have a 11' tech and a iphone 4s with at&t. when i first bought the car i had the phone book in there, and i noticed it wouldnt update when contacts changed, so i deleted the phone book and have never got it to re-install. i was told by the dealer call acura tech support. i dont have time for that. it just sits there saying importing, but never works. i did learn that the TSX will not auto sync contact changes, so you have to delete and re-import. the TL however will do it automatically.
Did you look at my two links?

Try deleting your phone from the car, the car from the phone, reboot your phone and then re-pair.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 PM
just have fun

i had the same problem with my car when i first got it.... but i also noticed that i was not able to make any phone calls listed in the zagat menu, so the technician deemed that the bluetooth need to be replaced, a week later it got replaced, synced my phone book and voila!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 AM
10th Gear

I have I phone 4S with latest update. I own 2009 TSX. As of May 2012, no trouble importing phonebook - After the last I-phone update (I wanted to re-install my phone book since there were many changes in it and this model does not offer real time phone book updates). The cellular phonebook area greyed out. Would not import - stalled in the middle. Had the car at the dealer umpteen times. They changed out all the bluetooth stuff and even the xm radio controller since they said that controlled the phone book importing.
Other ppls i phones would install the phone book correctly on my car - so they are saying it is something with my i phone (my contacts import with ease from my phone onto my husbands BMW). So, there is some compatability issue with the I phone 43 IOS 6.0 and the acura 2009 TSX. My carrier is Verizon. Initially, they screwed up the importing of my contacts from gmail into the phone (apple does not like gmail).
There are so many options for what contacts are called on the iphone and what they are called in gmail - this could be the source of confusion. Tried everything else on here ppl have suggested such as tapping the blue-tooth link while importing - none of this stuff worked.
We are going to do a complicated workaround involving putting all fo the contacts back onto my old palm pre - and uploading from that phone into the car.
Any other suggestions?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 AM
10th Gear

Greyed out cellular phone book

btw - my husband discovered that to correct this you need to "reboot" the car by unpairing (deleting the phone) via the HFL link phone setup - re-pair, and then restart the car. We did this several times, and each time we tried to import that phone book - it stopped in the middle and then got greyed out again. Mega -frustrating.
I'd ask the ppl at verizon - but they seem to know less than we do.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
all this work for a feature youll probably never use.
i was excited about the whole phone book thing. while mine doesnt transfer, i programmed a few people i call often. i NEVER use it.
i just pick up my phone and hit call.

its really not that hard.
plus, you dont have to yell at your car to make a call for you.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by olimits7
Hi,

Thank you,

olimits7
This was just posted YESTERDAY on Acura Website - Apparently lots of ppl having issues with importing phone book from I phone 4 and 4S with the IOS 5 upgrade. Here is what they wrote:
Comments
Some owners have experienced phonebook import issues with their iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S with the iOS5 update. Below are instructions for your phone to help import your phonebook into HandsFreeLink. 1) Pair the phone with HandsFreeLink in your vehicle. 2) Select INFO on your phone. 3) Select Cellular Phonebook. 4) Select Import Cellular Phonebook. 5) You should now see "Importing phonebook" on the Navi screen 6) At this time you need to go in the Bluetooth menu in the iPhone (Settings>General>Bluetooth), you will see HandsFreeLink Connected listed as a paired device; you simply need to touch this device name. 7) A prompt will pop up on the iPhone indicating that it has lost connection with HFL,select OK at this prompt. 8) The Navigation screen will now change to say "Loading Phonebook" 9) After a few minutes the contacts will be imported.

Tried this - it DOES NOT WORK - we never got the prompt on the i phone screen. This appears to be a permission issue and a better solution is needed.
We did a workaround - my husband got out my old Palm Pre - synced it to my google (gmail account) and had all of my contacts put back onto the PRE - then, imported from the PRE into my phone book in my car. Should not have to do this but absolutely no way to make the I phone 4s with recent upgrade import the phone book. He is a dean of technology at a major university - and if there was a way - he would have found it.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 AM
10th Gear

Phonebook Greyed out SOLVED- It's the I Phone, Not the Car

Well, just traded in my old i phone 4s for a new Galaxy S5 by Samsung (Android). As soon as I unpaired the iphone, then paired my new phone - I had no problem importing my phone book from the new phone. So it appears, that one of the IOS updates on the 4S was the problem - that was when it stopped being compatible with the Acura TSX. Not sure if the new i phone and newer Acura models are compatible.
One issue, I must have over a 1000 entries (If you have more than one phone number and a cell phone for a contact it counts as three entries)... so after about 15-20 minutes of loading (with engine on of course) - you will get a message that it could not complete. However, when i spot checked various people at all points in the alphabet - it appears that all my contacts are in there.
In any event, it's a lot better than not being able to use phonebook at all.
It's still a pia in Acura that the phonebook is static and does not update real time as you make changes in your phone. BMW and other brands can do this - why no Acura?