Reliablity of the 5A transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reliablity of the 5A transmission

I came from driving an manual, and i got a 5A as a compromise so other people can drive my car if need be. The 5A won out because it has the ability to shift gears. So my question to you is.....

1. Is the 5A an regular auto (with a torque converter) or one that has an electronic clutch and acts like an automated manual (DSG type).

2. How reliable is the box?

3. If one were to use the 5A as an manual at times, this includes engine braking and holding gear down for hard driving, how is that going to affect gearbox life (for the record i havent yet but i am itching to do so when i am in a nice curvy road).

4. The manual says first transmission oil change at 60K miles and then 30K afterwards. A friend of mine suggested if i use it hard or not in D mode all the time but sometimes shifting up and down (D or S) then to do a 20-25K transmission change.

This is my first autobox so i am confused. My previous manual cars I never had an issue. I drove my ford focus 160K (clutch was dying but it was usable - wasnt slipping), and my tercel ran 120K.

I have always heard bad things about autos so help me out. I may have to get a beater car with a manual to race around.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGoodGuy
I came from driving an manual, and i got a 5A as a compromise so other people can drive my car if need be. The 5A won out because it has the ability to shift gears. So my question to you is.....

1. Is the 5A an regular auto (with a torque converter) or one that has an electronic clutch and acts like an automated manual (DSG type).

2. How reliable is the box?

3. If one were to use the 5A as an manual at times, this includes engine braking and holding gear down for hard driving, how is that going to affect gearbox life (for the record i havent yet but i am itching to do so when i am in a nice curvy road).

4. The manual says first transmission oil change at 60K miles and then 30K afterwards. A friend of mine suggested if i use it hard or not in D mode all the time but sometimes shifting up and down (D or S) then to do a 20-25K transmission change.

This is my first autobox so i am confused. My previous manual cars I never had an issue. I drove my ford focus 160K (clutch was dying but it was usable - wasnt slipping), and my tercel ran 120K.

I have always heard bad things about autos so help me out. I may have to get a beater car with a manual to race around.
I'm not good with the mechanics of car but I can answer most of these questions...

1. 5spd automatic w/ torque converter

2. Pretty reliable, I came from the 1G TSX and it has around 55K and it still hasn't failed me. the 2G seems to be a little bit smarter since for example if your driving at around 30mph, it won't let you upshift till 5th gear...

3. You can engine brake but it's not like a manual where you can brake all the way...You still have to use the brake. If you mean holding the gear down during hard driving as in taking it to red line, it wouldn't that much damage if your doing it occassionally, but if you do it all the time, well that would put stress on the engine and you probably would have some problems.

4. Im not sure about this one.

I think you really want to have a manual car so I guess if you really want to still have the fun, having additional car would be in your best interest.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:20 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I don't have anything but experience witnessing a good cross-section of people with the auto-stick deal and subsequent recurring failures with drivers who use it *all the time*. For those who use it occasionally, I'm sure it's fine, I personally haven't had good experiences with H/A automatics going back to 1991. (Prelude Si 4WS A/T)
Old 12-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Yeah I need to research the reliability of the 5A auto stick units. I have always been a manual transmission driver so if i were to drive it like a manual i may ruin the auto box, especially if its one with a torque converter. I hear the ones with a automated clutch (manual without the clutch pedal) is more reliable.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I hear the ones with a automated clutch (manual without the clutch pedal) is more reliable.
I don't know if I'd go that far. Most of these units are installed in cars that are inherently less reliable than your typical Honda/Acura product. I've driven the latest generation M3 with the SMG and it is not a good automatic for 'creeping' along in traffic.

The 4 cylinder 5ATs haven't had any recurring problems that I can recall. Due to the history of problems on the 6 cylinder 5ATs from 2000-2001, all Acuras now have a 6 year, 70,000 powertrain warranty.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:29 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
^^^ Can I get an A-Men?!?

The Sequential Manual Gearbox on the E46(?) is a helluva lot of fun, and very advanced, but it's racing technology for the street. Set that damn thing on race launch (whatever it's called, the Euro spec programming deal) mode and hold on to your hat & your a$$.

Don't even get me started on the 99-02 CL-S's & TL-S's A/T's. (I say through 02 because they finally fixed the damned thing in 03...supposedly.)

Sorry for the tangent/hijack.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:03 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I've driven the latest generation M3 with the SMG and it is not a good automatic for 'creeping' along in traffic.
I don't believe the latest (V8) M3 was ever offered with SMG.

BMW ditched SMG and went with an all new Dual clutch transmission for the 08+ M3 and '10 Z4.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
I don't believe the latest (V8) M3 was ever offered with SMG.

BMW ditched SMG and went with an all new Dual clutch transmission for the 08+ M3 and '10 Z4.
Whatever it's called, it wasn't very good at low speeds. At it's heart, isn't it still an 'automatically operated manual" with true clutches worked by the computer? If so, then I'd still call it a Sequential Manual Gearbox as the description if not the Trademarked name.

It would pin your ears back in an aggressive launch, but I don't drive like that most of the time. In slow driving, it felt (and sounded) like a novice MT driver who was slipping the clutch too much.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Can't disagree. Every review I've ever read said the same thing. Which is probably why they no longer use it, and went with dual clutch instead.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Can't disagree. Every review I've ever read said the same thing. Which is probably why they no longer use it, and went with dual clutch instead.
The original SMG was bad, but my experience with the DSG was similar. iMO if you don't want to shift, a regular automatic is better in day to day driving.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:24 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

iMO if you don't want to shift, a regular automatic is better in day to day driving.
Ya, can't disagree there. Problem is, sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. Me, 70/30 wanting to shift for myself so in that sense I think a dual clutch is probably the better compromise.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Unregistered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ken536 (not sure if I spelled his nick right) has automatic TSX with supercharger and it held up well for 2 years. mine doesnt break either, but I am kinda gentle with it.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Instructor

If you plan to get aggressive with it frequently, or use it in stop/start traffic alot, spend $200 and put an external transmission cooler on it. Heat is the AT's worst enemy, and the addition of the cooler will enhance the life.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Can't wait to drive

I'm in the same boat. My last car was the 1st gen TSX 6MT and I had it for 5 years. I had to get a 5AT this time so others can drive it, and to survive stop and go traffic.

As for #4, you can't hurt your transmission if you change your fluid more often than recommended, it will only benefit it in in the long run. If you drive hard, the transmission fluid breaks down quicker, and you get more "metal" in the fluid from the wear. Having that circulate in your transmission box is no good. If you drive your car hard at all (you drive it like you stole it), change it often. In my previous car, I change the manual transmission fluid every 15k miles. I will do the same with my Automatic transmission fluid in my new car.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its not that hard to "service" the AT. Its just a drain and fill. Although the manual says the first AT service is recommended at 60K mi. I did mine at 30K just for the peace of mind. And, for what its worth, I don't believe I've read of a single AT failure since I joined Azine in Dec. 03.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jlukja
And, for what its worth, I don't believe I've read of a single AT failure since I joined Azine in Dec. 03.
They did do a recall on a very small number of ATs back in the summer of 2003 for mis-machined transmission housings. There was a 'stop sale' order so I doubt many (if any) got into customer's hands.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Hi all,

I'm picking up my new TSX, 5AT, tomorrow, and I've been watching this thread...

Could anyone tell me why operating the transmission in SS mode would result in it wearing out sooner than if I just left it in D? I want to be able to play with the paddle shifters - I didn't think I'd have to be afraid that I'd prematurely wear out the transmission doing so!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

The theory is that the automatic in "Drive" wants to get to the highest gear as fast as possible and stay there are long as possible. By playing with the shifters, you would likely force a few extra shifts that the tranny wouldn't have made on it's own. Thus the additional wear and tear.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Okay... I think I get it...

But if I drove it in SS on my way home during, say, a snow storm, and I manually selected the gears (so that I stay in 2nd instead of cycling through 3rd and 2nd as I speed up and slow down etc..) would that speed up wear and tear? From what you're saying, I can't imagine it would...

But if I use it to semi-engine break all the time, it would wear out faster, right?

Ugh, I'm wishing more and more that I'd bought the 6MT... but people convinced me otherwise (my commute is loooong (1 to 1.5 hrs each way) and in tons of stop-and-go traffic)... I thought the 5AT would be a good compromise because I'd be able to fiddle with the gears and at least pretend I had a bit more control...
Old 12-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy the sportshift, but next time buy the manual!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

My fiance has promised me that I'll be able to have a "fun car"... and it is definitely going to be a manual!!

(He won't drive it at all then, but hey, better for me!)
Old 12-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
The premature wear from using the SS isn't necessarily going to come from the gearbox. More than likely you'll see premature wear in the torque converter.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by melody
My fiance has promised me that I'll be able to have a "fun car"... and it is definitely going to be a manual!!

(He won't drive it at all then, but hey, better for me!)
Why does it matter what he promises that you'll be able to have? Get what you want regardless and buy it yourself!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by H1K1F1
Why does it matter what he promises that you'll be able to have? Get what you want regardless and buy it yourself!
In some families, large purchases are 'group decisions' It could be a little too early to establish herself when they're not married yet! It might be best to wait till she has him safely married....
Old 12-27-2008, 11:59 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

I have had my 2006 5AT for almost 3 years now. Knock on wood not to jinx myself but i tend to drive my auto hard when in sport shift(what good would it be if you didnt?). I have had no issues with my transmission. Like some of the other posters have said. Driving your car hard will decrease the life of the parts no matter what kind of transmission you have. But please keep in mind, the tsx auto is nothing even close to a reincarnation of that crap they were putting out at the beginning of the decade wiht the CL and TL. It is a very reliable and IMO, wonderful auto transmission.

The SS mode is smart too. Honda was smart and realized that not every driver is good and is smart enough to understand the correct places to up and downshift gears. It will save you on the downshift if you don't hit the right rpm or forget to shift at the correct time. Pretty smart if you ask me. As for upshift, it gives you full control of when you want to shift. If you want to bang off the rev limiter for 5 minutes, the TSX lets you do it happliy so it has a wonderrful design.

Just thought i would chime in and give my .02 The 5AT TSX is a wonderful car with a great transmission, just wish they could have made it 225 instead of 205, that probably would make people bitch a lot less about lack of power in certain situations, including myself.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DC_TSX
Just thought i would chime in and give my .02 The 5AT TSX is a wonderful car with a great transmission
Thanks for the post, I'm sure Melody will feel better after reading that.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Hi all,

I'm picking up my new TSX, 5AT, tomorrow, and I've been watching this thread...
Hi Melody, so how is your new car? Haven't seen you back here recently, are you out cruising?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Hi Melody, so how is your new car? Haven't seen you back here recently, are you out cruising?
Actually, yeah...
Just got back from a short road trip... put 1,000 km on it since Saturday. It's been a lot of fun so far. I must admit, I'm playing with the SS a lot. We hit some snow on the way home today and I was downshifting instead of braking, and keeping the car in a lower gear for more control, and it handled really well!

I looooooooooooove my TSX
Old 01-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Ugh, I'm wishing more and more that I'd bought the 6MT... but people convinced me otherwise (my commute is loooong (1 to 1.5 hrs each way) and in tons of stop-and-go traffic)... I thought the 5AT would be a good compromise because I'd be able to fiddle with the gears and at least pretend I had a bit more control...
I'm a fan of manual cars at times and owned one for many years, but...if you are in stop and go a lot, what's the point of owning one? I think Acura is smart with their autos and the tranny you got is a great compromise because you can have the car shift for you in traffic, when you don't feel like it, etc., and when you do, the paddles are there for you!

I'm debating a little about buying a manual again but Philly traffic is DISMAL, there is a stop sign or red light literally every 20 ft. where I live and I don't think that there would be much of a point for me to go that route again. We'll see I guess...