Paintmatching Grill

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009 | 11:15 AM
6th Gear

Paintmatching Grill

Hey Guys,

I just got my 2 Gen TSX PMM on black =)
I'm a starving student so my options for mods right now are kind of limited. One of the things I will definitely do however, is paintmatch my grill asap.
I got in touch with my Acura dealership to find out what they would charge and they told me it's a 4-day job... $600 CAD for paintmatch and clear bra, which seems a little much to me. On the other hand, will another shop do as good a job? It'd be great if you guys could help me out.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2009 | 11:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HoTRevolver
Hey Guys,

I just got my 2 Gen TSX PMM on black =)
I'm a starving student so my options for mods right now are kind of limited. One of the things I will definitely do however, is paintmatch my grill asap.
I got in touch with my Acura dealership to find out what they would charge and they told me it's a 4-day job... $600 CAD for paintmatch and clear bra, which seems a little much to me. On the other hand, will another shop do as good a job? It'd be great if you guys could help me out.

Thanks in advance!
They are actually going to contract it out. Look for bodyshops instead.

{Side note} You can't e that starving buying a $30K car. Ha ha...
Old 03-27-2009 | 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

I didn't clear bra mine but I had a body shop maintmatch mine for $150 US. Dropped it off in the morning and had it back in the afternoon.
Old 03-27-2009 | 11:35 AM
6th Gear

Hmm I'm just scared that if I don't clearbra, my grill is going to get pounded by rocks and then the paint will chip off. I'm guessing that I am pretty much getting ripped off then if I drop it off for a $600 paint job if you got yours for $150 USD.

By the way Derwood, I'd like to compliment you on your 2Gen. By far the nicest TSX I've ever laid eyes. I'm a big fan of the sleeper look as well and I think you got it hands-down. If you manage to clear the headlights, that would be awesome!
Old 03-27-2009 | 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmm I'm just scared that if I don't clearbra, my grill is going to get pounded by rocks and then the paint will chip off. I'm guessing that I am pretty much getting ripped off then if I drop it off for a $600 paint job if you got yours for $150 USD.

By the way Derwood, I'd like to compliment you on your 2Gen. By far the nicest TSX I've ever laid eyes. I'm a big fan of the sleeper look as well and I think you got it hands-down. If you manage to clear the headlights, that would be awesome!
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.

If the shop preps it properly before painting, it shouldn't chip. It'll be no different than getting a little rock mark on the bumper. I'm not going to lie, my bumper and grill have both been hit by a rock here and there, just part of driving. But I'm not a fan of clear bras. I've got the Acura touchup paint, and put a tiny dab on where the rock chip was and you can't even notice it. Esspecially if you use a buffer and buff it smooth later.
Old 03-27-2009 | 01:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.

If the shop preps it properly before painting, it shouldn't chip. It'll be no different than getting a little rock mark on the bumper. I'm not going to lie, my bumper and grill have both been hit by a rock here and there, just part of driving. But I'm not a fan of clear bras. I've got the Acura touchup paint, and put a tiny dab on where the rock chip was and you can't even notice it. Esspecially if you use a buffer and buff it smooth later.
Did you get the touchup paint from your dealer? How much did you get and how much did it cost? I recently slightly scratched my right side-view mirror on a concrete pillar
Old 03-28-2009 | 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by risc
Did you get the touchup paint from your dealer? How much did you get and how much did it cost? I recently slightly scratched my right side-view mirror on a concrete pillar
Yeah, I got it from the dealer. I don't remember how much it was exactly because I bought some other stuff at the same time, but it's pretty cheap.
Old 04-10-2009 | 10:53 PM
Intermediate

You should be scared. My 1st gen 2005 is black and I could use a new front bumper and the hood is trashed. I have replaced my windshield twice.

Then again, I drive on the freeway where one out of every 10 cars is a rock hauler!