Old 07-11-2012 | 09:37 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ed_423
LOL

it looks bad
Originally Posted by adversary
painter's tape the front or use the mask? :\
Clear bra or painter's tape. The vinyl "leather" bras will beat up your paint.
Old 07-11-2012 | 09:51 PM
Racer

i can get the painter's tape at Lowe's ? it's the 3M scotch brand right?
Old 07-11-2012 | 10:01 PM
ROTAREDOM

I love my carbon weaved bra. haven't had problems and it has definitely protected my front end from our seasonal love bugs. Ceb isn't always right...

It's like having a big cock, you swing it around and a lot of people move out of the way, but sometimes you slap your dick in the president's face and then you just look like an ass.
Old 07-11-2012 | 10:17 PM
Racer

wher do you get your carbon weaved bra?
Old 07-11-2012 | 10:19 PM
ROTAREDOM

^OEM... I have pictures somewhere in my thread. I think it looks pretty good IMO
Old 07-11-2012 | 10:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
I love my carbon weaved bra. haven't had problems and it has definitely protected my front end from our seasonal love bugs. Ceb isn't always right...

It's like having a big cock, you swing it around and a lot of people move out of the way, but sometimes you slap your dick in the president's face and then you just look like an ass.
By definition, the oe vinyl bra must damage the paint. Unless it is completely glued to the paint like a clear bra or painter's tape, then the movement of air over the car will cause said bra to move ever so slightly, abrading the paint. I don't care if it is made of microfiber or the softest material - if it isn't attached it will scratch.

Shall we talk about attachment points next?

Given ssjoeboe's idiotic statement, I can only conclude that the ss in his name is some neo-Nazi reference and he wants to act it out. I guess if you don't have facts to back you up then you can always try insulting swagger - just like the skinhead goons.
Old 07-11-2012 | 11:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ceb
By definition, the oe vinyl bra must damage the paint. Unless it is completely glued to the paint like a clear bra or painter's tape, then the movement of air over the car will cause said bra to move ever so slightly, abrading the paint. I don't care if it is made of microfiber or the softest material - if it isn't attached it will scratch.

Shall we talk about attachment points next?

Given ssjoeboe's idiotic statement, I can only conclude that the ss in his name is some neo-Nazi reference and he wants to act it out. I guess if you don't have facts to back you up then you can always try insulting swagger - just like the skinhead goons.
lets ignore the entire conversation here and taking a BIG FUCKING STEP BACK. first off, im jewish. second, joe is a ginger, so i don't think he's gonna be the first to be making fun of a minority. insinuating that he is a racist and associating him with groups who commit hate crimes is a big deal. considering you more than double his age, and he said nothing to bring up race, creed, or even views, i suggest you apologize.

SS is also used on naval ships. they are not skinheads
Old 07-11-2012 | 11:19 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

ss stands for steam ship. I am assuming Joe is a ship expert.

Annnnnnnd this thread is officially derailed.
The following 2 users liked this post by opboarding:
ed_423 (07-11-2012), MC MiYoung3269 (07-12-2012)
Old 07-11-2012 | 11:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by opboarding
ss stands for steam ship. I am assuming Joe is a ship expert.

Annnnnnnd this thread is officially derailed.
true story, i know the meaning as well, though joe is an engineer, maybe gingers are powered by steam instead of souls =D. i just wanted to kinda pause it there because 1. i found what ceb said as unacceptable, 2. i couldn't see that flame war going anywhere good...
Old 07-12-2012 | 06:02 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PyroDave
true story, i know the meaning as well, though joe is an engineer, maybe gingers are powered by steam instead of souls =D. i just wanted to kinda pause it there because 1. i found what ceb said as unacceptable, 2. i couldn't see that flame war going anywhere good...
Ss' comment was way out of line and completely inappropriate. I find it incredible that some people here need to always play bully when they don't have facts to back them up. A simple "I don't think that my vinyl bra has damage my paint" would have been the appropriate answer.

You weren't involved in the conversation so your (or my) ethnic or religious background is immaterial - as is his for that matter. I found his response response foolish and inappropriate and called him out on it - just like you didn't like my response.

Can we get back on topic now?

Anything that touches paint and can move will damage your paint and vinyl bras are known for that.
Old 07-12-2012 | 08:39 AM
ROTAREDOM

lol all the good stuff happens when I'm asleep. I think there are definitely lessons to learn here. Thanks for the support pyro I appreciate it. At Ceb, I can tell your loved ones most likely quiet down around you in fear of the fact that you will ridicule anything they say. That's sad, sometimes other people have good opinions too. My metaphorical reference was more of a comical allusion to someone who may be an intellectual bully. I figured you would take it in good taste and realize that some of the attributes you portray on the forum show that you are most likely a very knowledgeable and witty guy, who also likes to point out anyone that may be wrong. You win bro. I apologize for my earlier statement. You will not have any contradictions from me anymore.
Old 07-12-2012 | 09:07 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

lol all the good stuff happens when I'm asleep. I think there are definitely lessons to learn here. Thanks for the support pyro I appreciate it. At Ceb, I can tell your loved ones most likely quiet down around you in fear of the fact that you will ridicule anything they say. That's sad, sometimes other people have good opinions too. My metaphorical reference was more of a comical allusion to someone who may be an intellectual bully. I figured you would take it in good taste and realize that some of the attributes you portray on the forum show that you are most likely a very knowledgeable and witty guy, who also likes to point out anyone that may be wrong. You win bro. I apologize for my earlier statement. You will not have any contradictions from me anymore.
Perhaps we both overreacted a bit. Let's do a virtual handshake and get back on topic

Now, what was that abot a carbon fiber print vinyl bra?
The following users liked this post:
ssjoeboe9 (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012 | 09:17 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

wher do you get your carbon weaved bra?
He borrowed it from Lady GaGa
Old 07-12-2012 | 09:34 AM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by ceb
He borrowed it from Lady GaGa
See now didn't that feel good?
Old 07-12-2012 | 11:18 AM
Safety Car

i think your original statement actually alluded to Ceb's rather large penile size and that he likes to swing it around. you also may have mentioned that you are like a president, and he slapped you in the face with his rather large penis, which you felt made him look like an ass =)

i can quote the comment if you like
Old 07-13-2012 | 12:59 PM
6th Gear

I have the OEM bra and don't drive long distance without. I usually take it off when i reach my destination, then put it back on (after washing it) before I drive back. Here is a pic of how it looks over the 09-10 sport bumper. Notice the painters tape...I put it in possible wear areas to protected the paint. No issues at all. I also opted to get Colgan mirror bra's that actually match the OEM bra carbon fiber weave pattern.

The following users liked this post:
musty hustla (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012 | 06:48 PM
Instructor

Clear bra is the way to go in my opinion, it maintains the look of the car, and won't ruin your paint. Also, having the bra on full time will not allow the paint to fade evenly underneath the bra. So when you do come to your senses and take it off, your like...ohh shit...now I got to keep it on.

But to each is own. I'm assuming the painters tape is a joke. I might be able to understand for long distances - but my drive to work is 100 miles a day (round trip) and clear bra is all I deem necessary. Mind you I still need to get clearbra on my roof and a-pillars....but soon I will.

But if the savings mean that much for you, go with painters tape.
Old 07-13-2012 | 09:37 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Vinny_P
Clear bra is the way to go in my opinion, it maintains the look of the car, and won't ruin your paint. Also, having the bra on full time will not allow the paint to fade evenly underneath the bra. So when you do come to your senses and take it off, your like...ohh shit...now I got to keep it on.

But to each is own. I'm assuming the painters tape is a joke. I might be able to understand for long distances - but my drive to work is 100 miles a day (round trip) and clear bra is all I deem necessary. Mind you I still need to get clearbra on my roof and a-pillars....but soon I will.

Ya, the painters tape is only for long distances AND love bug season. During love bug season in FL, you can't go 10 miles without killing 50 love bugs. Extremely annoying because if you don't clean them off in the same day, they'll eat your paint. I'd love to get a clear bra but they don't make one for the sport bumper and I don't want to pay for a custom cut.
Old 07-13-2012 | 11:35 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 98DB7
I have the OEM bra and don't drive long distance without. I usually take it off when i reach my destination, then put it back on (after washing it) before I drive back. Here is a pic of how it looks over the 09-10 sport bumper. Notice the painters tape...I put it in possible wear areas to protected the paint. No issues at all. I also opted to get Colgan mirror bra's that actually match the OEM bra carbon fiber weave pattern.

Funny, my clear bra goes further up the hood and fenders compared to the OEM bra. I had no idea how little the OEM bra covers up in terms of the hood and fenders. The bumper, however, is covered about the same as the clear bra.

On a side note, I'm either coming down with a fever or I'm just odd but that painters tape mixed with the black bra/car looks pretty sick.

Oh and Clear Bra > the rest.
Old 07-13-2012 | 11:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Sorry for the double post - still can't edit. You said sport bumper as in the sport package under spoilers, right? I considered those but the bra doesn't fit from what I can tell and I was worried the pieces would use 3M tape. My Civic had those and after so many years the 3M wore off even though installation was perfectly done.
Old 07-14-2012 | 02:47 AM
Racer

can you install the bra with the front license plate on?
Old 07-14-2012 | 03:49 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
Sorry for the double post - still can't edit. You said sport bumper as in the sport package under spoilers, right? I considered those but the bra doesn't fit from what I can tell and I was worried the pieces would use 3M tape. My Civic had those and after so many years the 3M wore off even though installation was perfectly done.
I have an 09 so I have the Modulo/OEM Acura Front Sports Bumper (entire bumper replaced). Best mod I have done so far! That's lame the Civic tape wore off...did it have screws too? And to your other post, with the tape on I definitely get stares from people on the highway.
Old 07-14-2012 | 03:52 AM
6th Gear

can you install the bra with the front license plate on?
Yup, there is a small panel on the bra that can be cut out so that it can fit around the license plate frame. In the picture I posted, you can faintly see it in the middle of the bra above the lower grille.
Old 07-14-2012 | 04:17 AM
Burning Brakes

I bought the bra because I was tired of taping up my car. Honestly I hate it because the flaps that attach to the headlight flew off 3 times on my drive from south florida to gainesville (about 350 miles). Putting on the bra is a bit difficult the first time cause you kinda have to stretch it to get it on. And to Ceb saying that it will scratch your car, YES IT WILL, ONLY if you do not prep your car like the manual says. You're suppose to wash and wax before you attach the bra. Tell me it's bad to wipe a microfiber cloth up and down a nice smooth waxed surface cause idk how else you will remove the wax if it wasn't a microfiber towel.
Old 07-14-2012 | 04:34 AM
Racer

Yup, there is a small panel on the bra that can be cut out so that it can fit around the license plate frame. In the picture I posted, you can faintly see it in the middle of the bra above the lower grille.
does your car also have a front license plate frame that is attached to plastic grill on the bottom of the bumper?
Old 07-14-2012 | 06:44 AM
AZ Community Team

I have an 09 so I have the Modulo/OEM Acura Front Sports Bumper (entire bumper replaced). Best mod I have done so far! That's lame the Civic tape wore off...did it have screws too? And to your other post, with the tape on I definitely get stares from people on the highway.
Yes, the kits were screwed into the bumper screw holes. It was the HFP kit so it overlayed the bumpers. The 3M was used on the top portion to hold it flush with the bumpers. Looked great when it worked right. I was told it was a bad installation but my friend installed it and prepped the car extremely well. Just a design flaw as the whole thing doesn't stop sticking but rather a section years down the road.
Old 07-14-2012 | 08:18 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BaoZZeR
I bought the bra because I was tired of taping up my car. Honestly I hate it because the flaps that attach to the headlight flew off 3 times on my drive from south florida to gainesville (about 350 miles). Putting on the bra is a bit difficult the first time cause you kinda have to stretch it to get it on. And to Ceb saying that it will scratch your car, YES IT WILL, ONLY if you do not prep your car like the manual says. You're suppose to wash and wax before you attach the bra. Tell me it's bad to wipe a microfiber cloth up and down a nice smooth waxed surface cause idk how else you will remove the wax if it wasn't a microfiber towel.
It is a matter of expectations. If you don't think that the "little flaps" flying off did any damage then you have low expectations. Equally, if you believe that a coat of wax will protect your paint from the edge of the bra flapping around then good for you.

A clean high grade microfiber wiped gently over a freshly cleaned surface won't do much damage, but attach that same piece of cloth to your car and drive for 100 miles and the sand and dirt particles that invariably get under the cloth will act as sandpaper. A good detail will fix it in most cases but a good detail will cost you several hundred dollars.

It is human nature to defend a decision you've made which is way those of you that made the decision to buy the OE bra support it even when faced with facts to the contrary.

If swirls and (possibly) larger scratches don't bother you then a vinyl bra is fine. I believe that it does more damage than it prevents.
Old 07-14-2012 | 09:49 AM
Safety Car

I had an OEM bra on my '06 RL - it saved me from many paint chips form flying debris. I drive 80 mile RT daily on a busy highway. I always took the bra off when I washed the car and I also washed the flet liner of the bra to remove any particles that might scrathc the paint. I had no problems with the connectors coming loose. When I traded for a '10 RL I chose the 3M clear bra. Less maintenance and does a good job of protecting the paint. I also did the outside mirrors. Works great. The painters tape thing - looks a bit ghetto to me for a high-end car like the RL, but to each his/her own. I am not a judgmental person.
Old 07-14-2012 | 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
It is a matter of expectations. If you don't think that the "little flaps" flying off did any damage then you have low expectations. Equally, if you believe that a coat of wax will protect your paint from the edge of the bra flapping around then good for you.

A clean high grade microfiber wiped gently over a freshly cleaned surface won't do much damage, but attach that same piece of cloth to your car and drive for 100 miles and the sand and dirt particles that invariably get under the cloth will act as sandpaper. A good detail will fix it in most cases but a good detail will cost you several hundred dollars.

It is human nature to defend a decision you've made which is way those of you that made the decision to buy the OE bra support it even when faced with facts to the contrary.

If swirls and (possibly) larger scratches don't bother you then a vinyl bra is fine. I believe that it does more damage than it prevents.
Truthfully I thought the flaps hitting my car would scratch the car but it surprisingly didn't cause i had a nice coat a wax to help protect the paint (I have a black car and i can see every blemish on it and the flap was mostly hitting against the bra and eventually got stuck because of the wind pressure) . After my trip i took a wet microfiber cloth to clean the bra before i took it off and i vigorous shook it in cause dirt got in it and i just put it back in it's storage bag and stowed in my trunk for next use.

Other than that painter's tape isn't that great in Florida. Last time i put it on I didn't realize it was 108 degrees so after I took it off (same day just about 6 hours after i put it on) I had a little bit of gooey residue on my car (nothing goo gone couldn't fix)
Old 07-14-2012 | 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

I still don't recommend it because it's annoying having to pull over to fix the flaps (I might be the only one with this problem because i see pictures of other people's bra's that sit much more flush around the headlights than mine) but it is much less time consuming than putting painter's tape all around.
Old 07-14-2012 | 03:26 PM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by Vinny_P

I agree totally, and having had a half dozen or so cars with clear bra (including two TSX's, both w/ over 150K miles on them), there is clear bra, and there is everything else. The only thing the fabric ones are good for are perhaps to look like an 80's throwback and/or to screw up the paint (and there is no way to not do that eventually unless you drive no miles, and then why bother?). Northeast highways are tough on paint (winter is a killer), and the bra makes HUGE difference.
Old 07-15-2012 | 08:48 AM
6th Gear

does your car also have a front license plate frame that is attached to plastic grill on the bottom of the bumper?
I don't have a license frame in the front, but if you have a stock frame, the cut out should work just fine.
Old 07-18-2012 | 02:44 PM
Racer

I agree with Ceb, a mask used regularly WILL damage the paint. The worst damage occurs due to moisture absorbed by the cotton liner lying against the clear coat. Rain flows down between the mask and the finish, the sun bakes the mask and heats the water. It doesn't take long for this cycle to produce small surface cracks and a cloudy looking finish. The damage is permanent, you can't rub it out.