New Car Non Disclosure of Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Car Non Disclosure of Repairs

Is there a dollar amount that a dealer can repair or repaint a new car and sell it as "new" and not disclose it to the consumer?

My only gripe has been is that my drivers side rear door does not have the reflection as the rest of the car. I took it to a body shop to see if they could do anything as I am 125 miles from the dealer and they pointed out that the back door had been repainted prior to purchase. There were also some gouges on the bumper that were color matched. They are hard to see, but the gouges are still there.

The back door has more "orange peel" than the norm. The color is spot on. I have never had any other problems with my TSX. I have 5700 miles and no pinging, no blown speakers, no rattles, no problems. I haven't had any other reason to see the dealer. I thought I would venture down Saturday and get their input.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I'm not sure if a dollar amount exists, but I've read that many cars are damaged during shipping, and sometimes receive significant repairs before being sold. Apparently Mercedes is especially good with this (the piece I read was about Mercedes), and I'm sure the quality of the work will vary across manufacturers, repair facilities, and models.

I doubt your dealer will be of much help. You might want to contact a consumer protection agency, which should know the law on this point. I don't know, but perhaps certain types of damage prevent the manufacturer from selling a vehicle as new even if it can be repaired to spec. I know an attorney who represents car manufacturers, so I'll ask him and report back if I learn something.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:42 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened.

I want to say there's *some* rule of thumb about that, but after you've taken delivery and driven off the lot, you're pretty much hosed.

Even if, between the boat carrier (JPN built TSX) the car carrier (trucker), the tech that did the PDI, the dealer outsourced inhouse detailer, the portable car wash people that roam like leathery nomads from dealer to dealer doing the in place daily washes, then the salespeople, etc. etc. etc.

No one will ever admit to any mishap with that panel. I would find a good body shop. It's harder to match OE orange peel than paint a panel straight & smooth. If it's blended with the front door and rear 1/4 panel, you will not be able to tell.

They can correct everything but the memory.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will a rotary or a light wet sand bring out more shine? My Porter Cable doesn't seem to have much affect on it.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 PM

I typed a response and it disappeared, oh well.

You should go to an automotive paint supply shop and speak to them. If you do decide to "buff it out" get foam pads (not wool) and ask them what product to try. They may tell you 'don't bother, call Bob' or they may have something that would work for you.

Wet sanding will 'knock off the peaks' of the orange peel, but it might end up looking worse. Worst case you burn an edge with the buffer, better case you might end up with mega swirls.

Have you ever wet sanded an automotive finish?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree, Wet sanding should help...
Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
There may be a dollar amount just as there are miles, but this could vary from state to state. If you had gotten your car yesterday, I'd say to call them to see what they can do. However, after 5700 miles, they would have little assurance that the problem didn't happen in your care. IMO, you should seek out a good body shop. Try calling the local Porsche club, they are pretty particular owners.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This reminds me...

Back when I worked at a Porsche dealer in college, don't ask how, but I bumped a new 911 Turbo into a light pole pretty good in the parking lot. Our dealership ended up repairing and repainting the front bumper and later sold the car as new to some guy whom I'm sure was never told or aware of it.

So I'm sure it happens more often than people know, and you're probably one of the people that got stuck with one of these situations.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 AM

I think my 07 Si had *something* happen to the left front because when I went to remove the front bumper to install the ASpec kit, the paint easily flecked off the left front where it met the fender and the left headlight was more than 2mm shifted down from center.

There has to be a good story involving the 911T indeed.

C'mon, you're among friends, lol.