Need help with buying decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012 | 06:46 AM
Advanced

Need help with buying decision

Hi all,

Me and my wife have a Rav4 currently and want to buy a second car for her commute.

I was initially thinking of getting the BMW 328, but now I am not so sure and have started looking elsewhere and the TSX is one of our choice.

What model year is in the market now, 2012? Also, should we lease? We want to make low payments so I think lease is the was to go, plus the fact that we would want to change cars in couple years (3 lease terms).

What kind of prices should I expect? I live in DE but very few dealers so will go out in PA to see some dealers

How is the driving comfort on highway? does it use premium gas? Can I get 30mpg hwy?

Any other suggestions, insights would be great.
Old 05-17-2012 | 08:42 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Yes it's 2012 right now.

If you guys get a new car every 3 years then leasing is the way to go for you. I know PyroDave pays a little over 300 for his lease. If you're willing to go to Jersey, his dealer can hook you up. He hooked me up.

Comfort is nice. Has all the bells and whistles coming standard while you pay for them on other brands/models.

Yes it uses premium gas but people have also reported no significant decrease in gas mileage using regular.

You can get more than 30 highway. Last time I went to Long Island to visit my grandpa's grave I got close to 36 or 37 if I remember correctly. If you do a lot of highway driving, the mpg is amazing for this size.

Btw this is in my I4...were you interested in an I4 of V6?
Old 05-17-2012 | 11:03 AM
Advanced

mrstak, thanks for the response in details. We can go upto jersey, however it would depend which part of jersey, if it's closer to Delaware than we can definitely go there.
Which dealership is it? How do I find out about how to get in touch with PyroDave and did you also get the same deal?

I think the I4, any major difference between the two?
Old 05-17-2012 | 11:14 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

No differences except for the engine.

There's a debate on why people went with a TSX rather than a TL. Seems like the amount you pay for a V6 Tech TSX is on par with a TL Tech so people are saying that a V6 Tech TSX isn't worth the money as compared to a TL Tech. But since you're considering the I4, it's not an issue.

You can pm PyroDave on the boards. He'll reply to you quick. Just click on "messages" at the top right near your username, then "pyrodave" as the recipient.

It's Ramsey Acura. Dealer's name is Stu. Great guy. I did not lease my car...I bought it. He gave me the best deal out of all the dealerships I visited. The other dealerships said it wasn't a legit deal, but it was.
Old 05-17-2012 | 11:31 AM
Op is too busy to care

they are two very different cars, test drive both and see what tickles your gooch

any raisin you are considering either car? they arent usually cross shopped that much
Old 05-17-2012 | 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KillerG
they are two very different cars, test drive both and see what tickles your gooch

any raisin you are considering either car? they arent usually cross shopped that much
i dunno bout his raisins, but im sure theres a prune somewhere.

i'm pyrodave lol. my dealer is in north jersey, all the way up by NY, but you can figure out most things over the phone with him and go up to simply finalize, thats what stak did i believe. if you'd like shoot me a PM and i'll send you his info. you can just click my name in here and choose to send a message

leasing vs financing, well thats up to you. it depends on your needs and situation, lets not have another debate on that in this thread its already been gone through several times
Old 05-18-2012 | 09:13 AM
Advanced

Thanks guys, test drive the Lexus is250 and did not enjoy it. No fun to drive but ride was comfortable.

Pyrodave, stark gave me Stu's contact and mentioned both of you and he said that u guys are awesome and I agree with him.

He asked if I have any quotes and I said I did and will get the actuall numbers today from my local dealer and will email him those numbers and then he will get back to me with his numbers.
Old 05-18-2012 | 10:44 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

haha stark...i wish i was tony stark. then i'd be driving the nsx...

yup just get quotes from dealers near you and he'll probably match or one up them.
Old 05-18-2012 | 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tin369
Thanks guys, test drive the Lexus is250 and did not enjoy it. No fun to drive but ride was comfortable.

Pyrodave, stark gave me Stu's contact and mentioned both of you and he said that u guys are awesome and I agree with him.

He asked if I have any quotes and I said I did and will get the actuall numbers today from my local dealer and will email him those numbers and then he will get back to me with his numbers.
hahaha i dunno if he knows me as PyroDave, but if you mentioned stak, im sure he got the point
Old 05-20-2012 | 07:13 AM
Advanced

Stak, sorry for the typo. So I went to my local dealer and they said that a national leasing program is going on for $299, with sm=oem down and $350 with no down or something I forgot the details.

Anyways, I test drove it and liked it much better than the Lexus IS250 and it felt bigger inside too. For some reason the sales guy could not show me the voice command feature and it was not just recognizing our voices.

I like tech stuff so I was all over the nice cool things the TSX has, I found the ride to be comfortable as well, but I think with test drives you can't get to know much about it.

Anyways, the rice and feature combo is great, but then went to test drive a BMW 3 Series and it's amazing, fell in love with the car but not the price.

However, they have something called BMW select program, which I don'y know much about but the payments are close to $500 and I think I may go with it.

I am just thinking should I or shouldn't I. Its a big purchase so want to be happy with it.

Any inputs, thoughts etc
Old 05-20-2012 | 12:11 PM
Instructor

Stak, sorry for the typo. So I went to my local dealer and they said that a national leasing program is going on for $299, with sm=oem down and $350 with no down or something I forgot the details.

Anyways, I test drove it and liked it much better than the Lexus IS250 and it felt bigger inside too. For some reason the sales guy could not show me the voice command feature and it was not just recognizing our voices.

I like tech stuff so I was all over the nice cool things the TSX has, I found the ride to be comfortable as well, but I think with test drives you can't get to know much about it.

Anyways, the rice and feature combo is great, but then went to test drive a BMW 3 Series and it's amazing, fell in love with the car but not the price.

However, they have something called BMW select program, which I don'y know much about but the payments are close to $500 and I think I may go with it.

I am just thinking should I or shouldn't I. Its a big purchase so want to be happy with it.

Any inputs, thoughts etc
Have you been looking at the new 2013 BMW 3 series or the 2012? The 2013 is completely new and with a new turbo inline 4 for great gas mileage and great power. You'll have the same mpg as the TSX but with a lot more torque. Of course, the cost out the door will be more with the BMW once you add the options that come already with the TSX tech package. But you will have better handling and more power with the BMW. It will be a trade-off between cost and better performance. Also, do you live where there's bad weather? The RWD in the Bimmer can get a bit sloppy in light snow and rain. Although in the dry, FWD can get a bit funky with understeer and torque steering.

The TSX is a good 'bang for the buck' when you take into consideration what you get in return. I picked up a TSX tech sport wagon instead of going the Audi/BMW route. It wasn't cost but more about getting out of German cars for a while (they can be high maintenance drama queens sometimes.) But the one really big difference I have experienced are the seats. They are so much better in the German cars. Be sure the seats in the TSX are going to be okay before you commit. Especially since you're using it as a commuter car. Maybe find a car rental agency that has one and rent it for a day or two.

The TSX has better safety ratings than the 2012 (and earlier) BMW 3 series. The 2013 BMW hasn't been tested yet, of course.

But for overall reliability, maintenance, etc., the Acura/Honda is probably a better choice.

Good luck. After you figure out the costs and all the specs on paper, you have nothing left but the emotional part. You should choose what you truly feel good about emotionally and set the pragmatic stuff aside. A car is something you have to live with day in and day out.
Old 05-20-2012 | 12:33 PM
Advanced

Well I am changing my mind every hour between the two. Emotionally I really like the BMW but financially I know that TSX makes more sense.

I did not have any complaints about the Acura seats, maybe it was a short test drive that's why do you find them hard. Uncomfortable etc.

The other thing I am thinking is buy the tsx now and then end of the year trade our RAV4 which stil has 2 more years of payment left and get the BMW.

Do people do this, I know if I do this I will get into another 5 years of payments but I will have a newer car and with my commute I put around 100 miles a day I can use the tsx instead of the rav 4 which already has 50,000 on it.
Old 05-20-2012 | 01:04 PM
Instructor

How is the driving comfort on highway?
Just to add, I have owned many BMWs including a few 3 series and find that highway comfort is about equal with the TSX. Although understand that this is my first TSX (first Japanese car) and it's a sports wagon and I've only had it for a week now.

Road noise is slightly higher with the TSX. But that may have more to do with tire type. However, the current BMWs use run flats (no spare tire) and I loathe them (they are also expensive to replace when you do get an unrepairable flat.) There seems to be a bit more wind noise at the A pillar with BMW than with the TSX. Both can get tossed around in high winds (I live on the Pacific ocean where winds can be strong along a certain stretch of the freeway here.) The BMW actually weighs a bit less (at least the BMW wagon versus the TSX wagon.)

There's more headroom in the BMW over the TSX by a little over an inch. Otherwise the front interior room is about the same with a slight edge going to the TSX. The passenger seat in the BMW can be raised and lowered but not in the TSX. Unfortunately the sports option is not available with the 328i sedan (only the wagon.) The sports option gives you a better handling suspension and exceptional front seats. I'm not sure how those options will be set up with the new 2013 model, however.

The turning circles are about the same with both cars (less than an inch difference.) Visibility is also equal.

Overall, the BMW is much more handsome (in the typical Teutonic/Bauhaus sort of style) than the TSX. The TSX is more edgy and choppy looking. But that's going to be subjective, of course.

The ELS sound system in the TSX tech model is hands down superior over the Harman Kardon premium optional sound system of the BMW. No comparison whatsoever there. And the ELS will play DVD-A discs which you cannot use in the BMW. Even crappy satellite radio sounds pretty decent with the ELS. The nav option for the BMW is a bit less intuitive to use, although one will get used to whatever they have. But I prefer the scroll wheel for the menu on the center console instead of up high like with the TSX. It's much more ergonomic to have it down by the armrest. The map graphics are much better with the BMW nav system. The Acura system sorely need a graphics update with the TSX. Also if you get the nav option (tech option) with the BMW, you get the head-up display too. That's a piece of tech that really works well. But the options you'll want for the BMW will increase the MSRP $35k base cost by around $11-12k.

The new 2013 BMW with the new motor choices has a lot going for it, but with one big disappointment (for me at least): they have toned down the precise suspension and steering for a bit more comfort (and to compete with the Mercedes C Class.) It's not quite as tactile as the previous models. Same goes for the 5 series BMWs now, too.
Old 05-20-2012 | 01:29 PM
Instructor

Well I am changing my mind every hour between the two. Emotionally I really like the BMW but financially I know that TSX makes more sense.

I did not have any complaints about the Acura seats, maybe it was a short test drive that's why do you find them hard. Uncomfortable etc.

The other thing I am thinking is buy the tsx now and then end of the year trade our RAV4 which stil has 2 more years of payment left and get the BMW.

Do people do this, I know if I do this I will get into another 5 years of payments but I will have a newer car and with my commute I put around 100 miles a day I can use the tsx instead of the rav 4 which already has 50,000 on it.
Everyone has their own personal needs and desires, so it can never be an 'across the board' sort of answer.

I were buying for the long haul and was putting on 100 miles a day on the odometer, I get the Acura. Ownership expense over the long run will be lower with the Japanese car. Leasing seems to be an issue for you due to high mileage. If you decide to go to the BMW later and maybe sell the Acura, resale on the Acura will be good even with high mileage. (Once BMWs get over 50-60k miles, then resale does tend to drop substantially due to high out-of-warranty maintenance costs.)

You also have to consider the finance costs if you're financing cars.

But remember that these are just material goods. They're commodities like everything else. Life changes and you never know what might be happening in the next couple of years. Your needs and desires may change. Your finances can change (hopefully for the better.) The cars will always be available and usually they get better as each new model appears.

Good luck. You won't really go wrong with either choice.

(p.s., about the seats: I find them less comfortable ergonomically than the BMW/Audi/Mercedes seats. I think also the interior cushioning material is less dense or something. The leather seems thinner, too. Although leather is an option on the BMW. The lumbar support in German cars seems better than the Acura, too. In the TSX its like a big plastic ball that pokes you in the back. But this is all more of a Papa Bear/Mama Bear/Baby Bear sort of subjective thing. What's 'feels just right' isn't going to be the same for everybody.
Old 05-21-2012 | 06:26 AM
Advanced

I have a few finance related questions and I was hoping some of the experts here can help me out here.

We have a 2009 RAV4 CPO which we got in 2010, its has 50,600 miles on it now and we financed it through Toyota financial for 2.9% for 60 months. It was done under my wife's credit score was better than mine.

Now, I have a job which required a 100 miles roundtrip commute for me and we need to buy a car.

We had thought that whenever we buy our next car it would be a luxury car and so far really want to get the BMW.

Our combined income is around $120,000 if that matters. I will be in a full time position starting this june so my employment history is limited and I have 6 years of credit history and is around 680.

Since we want to get the BMW she will be driving it so that less miles are on it (short commute for her) but I don't want to start putting miles on the rav4 when its already over 50,000. and less gas millage.

So we started thinking, if I get an TSX and trade in the RAV4 the finance amount would be less and I will get better milage than RAV4 and it will be a newer car. However, it will be a joint application and my wife will be primary.

Also, to get the BMW 3 series as a BMW select for me wife and she will be the primary applicant.

Is this going to be an issue getting two car loans simultaneously? Will be get declined or something?

The option is to get the TSX now and wife drives it, I still drive the RAV4 and add 12,000 miles until Nov and then trade it in and get the BMW select financing, that was delay the loan for a few months and also get to build our BMW and get the things we want it compared to few choices of stock with dealers and also get all- wheel drive then.

Is it better to trade in the RAV4 for the Acura TSX since we are buying it or against the BMW which we will lease.

The interest rate in low on Acura and I am thinking its better to trade the RAv4 for the BMW lease.

If I missed any info ask away and I will include that.

Please suggest/recommend what the best course would be. We need a second car now in the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 05-21-2012 | 12:13 PM
Instructor

Talk to your financial adviser. They will give you the best advice according to your own personal situation. Nobody on a forum can really give you correct advice that fits you specifically.

If you don't have one, then you can talk to a bank representative (but realize that they are in the business of selling loans.) Interest rates are at an all time low (there's basically no return on a savings accounts) and so you don't want to spend more on financing fees. It's better to pay cash these days (unlike in the past when you could get a good return on investing the cash and have a lower finance fee on the loans.)

Leasing can be beneficial in certain circumstances but don't forget that the model is low monthly payments (which look good on paper) but you have to pay the depreciation (residuals are key.) Leasing is renting. As we know, all these tools (leasing or loans) are money making tools for finance companies, it's a no win for the consumer. The only thing the consumer has is to try to get the lowest rates. If you have low credit scores, the rates are higher. It's a well designed scheme for the lenders.

The real issue is that cars are nothing but money drains and are depreciating assets (unless you buy a collector car.) Don't get in over your head in financing costs since you will never recoup that amount (add the financing into the actual cost of the vehicle.) You might want to consider buying used since much of the depreciation will have been paid off already. Then in a few years you can buy a new BMW. I know it's hard to do, but sometimes you have to think of a car as just a tool; just something that can get you to work and back as cheaply as possible while you save money. Then when you've saved enough and aren't as susceptible to the high cost of credit, you can indulge yourself on a nice toy (i.e., the BMW.)

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Boeing747 (05-21-2012)