Made in Japan and build quality, reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made in Japan and build quality, reliability

I know in the past, many people like to buy cars that were made in Japan due to better fit and finish of parts. Is that still true, since all TSX models are made in Japan?

I am guessing this doesn't really concern reliability so much as it did in the past. I have a 2001 Acura CL-S with 130k miles, nothing done except for routine maintenance. But the car rattles and squeaks like crazy -not looking forward to how the thing sounds in cold weather!

Then again, even many of the American cars now have very good fit and finish. Just rode in a friend's 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and was impressed with the detail and materials quality in it.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
FYI, all Acura CL were built at Honda's plant in Marysville, Ohio, alongside the Acura TL and the Honda Accord upon which the Acura CLs were based. The CL was the first Acura to be built in the USA.

And yes, I think North American made cars are just as well assembled as the Japanese made. However, having the technical/engineering onsite at the manufacturing level helps resolve any outstanding issues on the production floor quicker. Just have to ask VW about their Mexican plant that manufactured the previous generation Jetta.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
personally, i dunno how much it really matters, but i'd prefer the TSX to the TL, because the TSX is mainly made in japan, while tl is in america. maybe its just psychological. same for everything. my friend has a 2011 jeep, and its gorgeous, drives very well and everything, but i prefer japanese and german. if only german wasnt so expensive
Old 10-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I've owned 12 Honda Motor Company products of 4 and 2 wheel variety. Even had a lawn mower at one point, which I believe was made in the US. In fact most were made in the US of A (Accords and TL) and I've never noticed any qualitative difference in build quality or reliability between models that originated in Japan vs the US.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Intermediate

quote from somewhere...

I was told once by a Toyota manufacturing executive that it is much harder to maintain quality in North America because North American parts suppliers average 500 defects per million parts vs. 15 defects per million in Japan.

Regardless, my 2009 TSX doesn't have the build quality of my 1998 Accord EX (J vin).
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
And yes, I think North American made cars are just as well assembled as the Japanese made. However, having the technical/engineering onsite at the manufacturing level helps resolve any outstanding issues on the production floor quicker. Just have to ask VW about their Mexican plant that manufactured the previous generation Jetta.
Technically Marysville doesn't have design on site, but their Engineering/R&D/test track facility is right next door down the road. I got a buddy that works there that's currently designing new goodies
The following users liked this post:
SHELLZ (01-23-2013)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
From a historical perspective ...
Japan manufactured goods in the 60's were considered cheap junk.
Then they significanty improved quality, reliabilty, and materials.
They passed the US in the 80's. They did this w Quality Control.
The US may have caught up on some fronts.
China today is like Japan of the 60's.
After having 2 - Jeep G. Cherokees since '96 and a Legend and TL ...
Personally I will avoid US Cars Designed Engineered and Manufactured Cars for a while.
From a future perspective ...
Its now harder to side w a Country because it is so global -
example is my '11 Acura MDX really more Japanesse, American, or Canadian ??
Global economy evaluations will play the greater part.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yakapo
quote from somewhere...

I was told once by a Toyota manufacturing executive that it is much harder to maintain quality in North America because North American parts suppliers average 500 defects per million parts vs. 15 defects per million in Japan.

Regardless, my 2009 TSX doesn't have the build quality of my 1998 Accord EX (J vin).
I agree it might be harder to maintain quality in the US, but the "quality flagship" Camry built in Kentucky, Mississippi, and is made from 80% domestic parts.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....=&aff=national

I'm pretty sure they have a very stringent quality control process with stringent part acceptance/testing procedures so they only get the "cream of the crop" parts.

Also, due to yen, Toyota is telling all thier Japanese suppliers to cut thier costs or Toyota will cut them. They're also thinking about shifting more production of the Camry to the US for the same reason. Toyota USA must be doing something right...

On the other hand, my wife's US built Eclipse is a POS. Not sure if its cuz if it was built in the US or if its just Mitsubishi . She's not real automotive or detail oriented, but we washed our cars one day and she commented on how much better quality the TSX was. How everything was much better thought out and felt more solid on the TSX.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
FYI, all Acura CL were built at Honda's plant in Marysville, Ohio, alongside the Acura TL and the Honda Accord upon which the Acura CLs were based. The CL was the first Acura to be built in the USA.

Yes, I know the CL was built in ohio, that's why I'm comparing the two. All the CLs I've rode in have rattles, squeaks and not impressed with how the car was put together. But the reliability of the components has been excellent, putting aside tranny issues.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Racer

I had 98 and 99 Accord V6 EX-Leathers and put a combined 200K on them. I have 2010 TSX and so far have found no difference in overall build quality. The only consistent problem I've had with any of the Accord or TL models is crappy auto transmissions. Both models were built in Marysville but those problems were design issues.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:47 AM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
No complaints on the Japanese build quality of the TSX, aside from the random squeak the passenger door lock makes when it unlocks.

US factories are at or almost par with German and Japanese quality standards, they kinda had to, specially when the government had to bail them out, except Ford, back in 2008/2009 eroding customer base and negative public image kinda force a company to do better lol. When Toyota took over the #1 spot of largest auto maker(?) from GM it's smart business sense to improve ones product as well.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tvac
I had 98 and 99 Accord V6 EX-Leathers and put a combined 200K on them. I have 2010 TSX and so far have found no difference in overall build quality. The only consistent problem I've had with any of the Accord or TL models is crappy auto transmissions. Both models were built in Marysville but those problems were design issues.
My '98 J vin Accord EXL had 212k miles on it when I traded it in for the TSX. The interior was in excellent condition. Tranny had no slipping issues. Almost hated to get rid of it but it wasn't going to pass inspection w/ exhaust issues. Best of all - it had zero rattles or squeaks.

My '09 TSX has a slight rattle in the drivers side door. You can only hear it when driving on the bumps separating lanes. Even the '12 TSX loaner I was driving had a little rattle in the driver's door (although not as pronounced as mine).
Old 10-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

*I meant '11 loaner
Old 10-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Racer

My '98 J vin Accord EXL had 212k miles on it when I traded it in for the TSX. The interior was in excellent condition. Tranny had no slipping issues. Almost hated to get rid of it but it wasn't going to pass inspection w/ exhaust issues. Best of all - it had zero rattles or squeaks.

My '09 TSX has a slight rattle in the drivers side door. You can only hear it when driving on the bumps separating lanes. Even the '12 TSX loaner I was driving had a little rattle in the driver's door (although not as pronounced as mine).
You know, no that you mention it I have slight rattle that comes and goes in the driver's door also.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Place of manufacture is same same. All quality checked and controlled by parent company.

Most of our Australian Honda models come from Thailand, including the Accord. They still sell well and there's no quality difference.

There are only about 4 models in our market which Honda still produce in Japan: Accord Euro (TSX), Odyssey, Legend and Hybrids (Civic and Insight). The Thai models aren't any worse.

Australian built Toyotas and (former) Mitsubishi are quite good, very reliable.

Australian built Fords and (GM) Holdens (and your former Pontiac G8) are okayish (but there isn't that much confidence in American reliability here (in comparison to the Japanese) , so quality-wise they do meet the expectations).

Last edited by I CU2; 10-14-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I know it's irrational, but after 3 transmissions on a 2003 (american made) TL, I favor Japanese made Hondas/Acuras.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr. NC
No complaints on the Japanese build quality of the TSX, aside from the random squeak the passenger door lock makes when it unlocks.

US factories are at or almost par with German and Japanese quality standards, they kinda had to, specially when the government had to bail them out, except Ford, back in 2008/2009 eroding customer base and negative public image kinda force a company to do better lol. When Toyota took over the #1 spot of largest auto maker(?) from GM it's smart business sense to improve ones product as well.
If you are still under warranty, get the door lock actuator replaced. I had the same issue on my driver side door, got it replaced, and never heard any squeek since.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
I am under warranty 5yr/100k extended I believe, I'll check it when I have to go to the stealership for something
Old 10-15-2011, 07:57 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
My dad would not buy a TL because it was made in USA.

He says that made in USA isn't that bad, but sometimes the work is very inconsistent. Some cars may be fine, while others are not.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought mine because it was made in Japan. After watching those workers, facing certain radiation poisoning, going back into that damaged nuclear plant, how can you not respect that work ethic? Compared to the those Wall Street protesters that won't even look for a job, I'm embarrassed for our country.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I also am convinced that US made cars have fit and finish issues, if not more reliability problems. I had a 06 Civic (bought brand new) that had dash surfaces peeling end of the first year (Ohio built). We just bought a 2011 CRV (Ohio built) for my wife, great car, but after owning for some time, we noticed that the driver leather seat has a hump (bad stitching), dash is not perfectly aligned and rear hatch does not have the same clearances on either side! On the other hand, if I compare with my older cars - 02 RL and 02 S2000, they have perfect fit and finish (shipped from Japan). My wife had a 01 CRV that we traded in (as it had major rust issues from living in NY), but we both feel the fit and finish was much better than the 2011. Go figure!

I feel Honda quality is slipping and the gap is being filled nicely by the Korean automakers.

Last edited by 9000revs; 10-17-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just keep all fingers crossed that date of all "made in China" parts conquering the U.S. market, not near yet.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor
I know it's irrational, but after 3 transmissions on a 2003 (american made) TL, I favor Japanese made Hondas/Acuras.
In the ultimate irony, virtually the only part in those cars that wasn't made in the US were the transmissions. These were made in Japan and shipped here assembled.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:41 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Everything we own was produced in Japan for a reason.
The following users liked this post:
vas25tl (12-27-2011)