Just got a new 09' TSX, and I'm impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Robbie D.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a new 09' TSX, and I'm impressed!

new to the forum

I went out and got the 09' TSX today, its white without navi.

I had read a bunch of reviews about this car about how it's sluggish and doesn't move and has bad handling.

Driving it myself I noticed that it does move, and better than I thought especially when it's in Sport.

I had a 2004 TL before I bought this and so far I haven't noticed a huge difference between performance other than the TSX doesn't take corners as sharp as the TL and it's not as powerful. But it's not too noticable.

Overall I'd say this car is amazing, especially for the price. It's got more features than I can handle.

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear about what other people have to say about it.

Also it's got this weird smell coming from it that reminds me of burning rubber is this common or should I go back to the dealer and give them a hard time?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 AM
wut.

Originally Posted by boydanger
new to the forum

I went out and got the 09' TSX today, its white without navi.

I had read a bunch of reviews about this car about how it's sluggish and doesn't move and has bad handling.

Driving it myself I noticed that it does move, and better than I thought especially when it's in Sport.

I had a 2004 TL before I bought this and so far I haven't noticed a huge difference between performance other than the TSX doesn't take corners as sharp as the TL and it's not as powerful. But it's not too noticable.

Overall I'd say this car is amazing, especially for the price. It's got more features than I can handle.

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear about what other people have to say about it.

Also it's got this weird smell coming from it that reminds me of burning rubber is this common or should I go back to the dealer and give them a hard time?
Was that after you started to take hard corners?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Banned

That's normal. Mine had a burning plastic smell for the first few days.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Robbie D.

didnt take that many hard corners maybe a couple here and there just to see how it performs but nothing crazy.

i hope so.

im not too worried anyway, if it is anything the dealer will have to deal with it.

anyone on here have a white 09 tsx with a color matched grille? i would love to see some pictures, im considering getting my grille color matched
Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Take a look in the photograph gallery. Lots of pics there.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Yup, we are pleasantly surprise by the TSX. My wife and I love it!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
i had that smell too so don't worry.

I think everyone here will agree that our tsx's are phnomenal cars especially for the price. congratulations on the purchase and post up some pics are you going to mod it?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Robbie D.

ill take some pics soon.

i wanna put a sports bumper, color match the grille and of course tint the windows. maybe later on when i have more cash swap out the rims.

not too sure if i wanna mod the engine though since it goes against the warranty and all that nonsense. i think it drives great the way it is, its not too fast so i wont get a pile of speeding tickets like i did with my tl and its not sluggish.

its just right.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its not too fast so i wont get a pile of speeding tickets like i did with my tl
No offense to you at all, but I just never understood why people say things like this. You could get speeding tickets in just about anything. It has nothing to do with how quickly the car gets up to speed, but you can just as easily exceed the speed limit in a TSX as you can a TL. 20 over the speed limit is the same in any car.

Maybe since the car is less powerful something psycologically makes you drive the speed limit? I don't know, but I generally drive the same in regards to the speed limit no matter what vehicle I'm in.

Anyways, getting back on subject, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your CU2 as much as the rest of us are.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Way to be the voice of reason Darren...

It is psychological, but the idea is, that if a car has more torque and is thus more fun to put the pedal down on because it puts you in your seat, you're more likely to use that pedal more often, thus making it more likely that you are speeding.

The TSX is much less tempting to put your foot down in because there's not much there to experience, thus its easier to behave yourself if you have a tendency to have a heavy foot.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have been pleasantly surprise by the throttle responsiveness and the auto tranny's ease to kickdown a gear or two. (It is almost as responsive as my old BMW M3 in "sport" mode.) The steering feel is a letdown for me, but it ain't too bad (not nearly as fatal as what magazines make it out to be).
Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Vancouver B.C.

I cant wait to see a white paint matched grille
Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
No offense to you at all, but I just never understood why people say things like this. You could get speeding tickets in just about anything. It has nothing to do with how quickly the car gets up to speed, but you can just as easily exceed the speed limit in a TSX as you can a TL. 20 over the speed limit is the same in any car.

Maybe since the car is less powerful something psycologically makes you drive the speed limit? I don't know, but I generally drive the same in regards to the speed limit no matter what vehicle I'm in.

Anyways, getting back on subject, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your CU2 as much as the rest of us are.
LOL good point. My only speeding ticket was in my girlfriend's 4Runner going 90 on the interstate.

Anyways man congrats! And yes, you should be impressed. It is a great car for the money and rivals many cars well above it's price range.

Unless you're a complete Euro junkie, it's the logical choice over a lower-end Mercedes or BMW. The only other comparable car would be the Lexus IS250 in my opinion. Even then I'd probably recommend going w/ the TSX.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ttk5
I cant wait to see a white paint matched grille
I'm getting the urge to do mine................
Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats
Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Banned

I'm onthe fence about paintmatching so I'm holding off because that's the cheaper option.

If they come out with a Type S I will not only buy one without blinking but I will definately paint match an a-spec kit.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mucter
Way to be the voice of reason Darren...

It is psychological, but the idea is, that if a car has more torque and is thus more fun to put the pedal down on because it puts you in your seat, you're more likely to use that pedal more often, thus making it more likely that you are speeding.

The TSX is much less tempting to put your foot down in because there's not much there to experience, thus its easier to behave yourself if you have a tendency to have a heavy foot.
I would classify that as wreckless driving rather than speeding. (Which I've gotten a ticket for both in my lifetime).
Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Racer

lol, nice, no wreckless driving for me. careless driving once.

On the subject of paint matching, I was just spending some time PS'ing my PWP, and I came up with a different option by accident.

If someone came out with a full CF replacement for the upper and lower parts of the grill, it would look great on PWP (particularly w/sport bumper ). Or just paint it a dark color like this.

Or just go safe and do a full PWP paint. Sorry for my not so hot PS skillz.

Sorry OP, I swear I'm not trying to thread jack you. Since you're PWP, I thought you might find this helpful....
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Getting back to the subject of being very impressed with the 09, I too after about two weeks am very impressed. The 09 is a different animal then the 06 TSX I used to drive. The engine is quieter and seems to rev so much easier then the 06, NVH is way down in the 09. The transmission seems to always be in the correct gear, with the 06 I used the sport shift a lot because it took so damm long for the ATX to realize I needed to car to move and downshift. With the 09 I haven’t needed to do this (although I haven’t really pushed it yet) the paddle shifters seem to work well and there is less hesitation when you up shift with them.

For a bigger car it seems faster then the 06.

When I test drove it last summer I thought it was too much like a Buick compared to the 06 and took it off my consideration list. I’m glad I took a second drive.

Jeff
Old 05-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor

^ how's the handling and steering response? I've heard it is nimble but the steering is not as responsive as previous models. Hmm, might have to visit the dealership over the weekend to try one out
Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jl1080
^ how's the handling and steering response? I've heard it is nimble but the steering is not as responsive as previous models. Hmm, might have to visit the dealership over the weekend to try one out
IMO, nimble > responsive. It makes a fairly big car feel like it weighs almost nothing. How can that not be fun? My little old Integra asked more of me and it had no mass to speak of.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Robbie D.

Originally Posted by mucter
lol, nice, no wreckless driving for me. careless driving once.

On the subject of paint matching, I was just spending some time PS'ing my PWP, and I came up with a different option by accident.

If someone came out with a full CF replacement for the upper and lower parts of the grill, it would look great on PWP (particularly w/sport bumper ). Or just paint it a dark color like this.

Or just go safe and do a full PWP paint. Sorry for my not so hot PS skillz.

Sorry OP, I swear I'm not trying to thread jack you. Since you're PWP, I thought you might find this helpful....

thanks for that, I think the black grille looks SICK. I'm most likely gonna go ahead and paint it black(also a good song) now that I see how it looks.

as far as the speeding thing. yeah it is psychological and its the torque response too. but hey im sure if you put someone behind the wheel of a porsche of course you'd wanna push that baby beyond 80mph on the highway.

And I love german cars dont get me wrong, but unless you're planning on spending some serious cash on a german car, it's not worth it. The entry level models don't have half the features that a base tsx does unless you empty your wallet into adding them. Sure they have great handling, a good engine. but so does the tsx, it might not be as powerful or sharp as a bmw but it holds its own on the road.

i thought about getting a bmw, audi, mercedez but after doing some hard thinking and research i came to the conclusion that im not gonna go for those brands unless im ready to spend at least 60k on a car.

for the price of the tsx, you cant beat what you get.

dont even listen to what the magazines say about the car, i read alot of negative reviews, more so than positive ones. but after buying one and experiencing it myself, i have barely any complaints and those that i do have are very few and minor.

p.s. I still have my 04' TL for another month until the lease ends

i am gonna miss the old tl though, she treated me good.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mercman
Getting back to the subject of being very impressed with the 09, I too after about two weeks am very impressed. The 09 is a different animal then the 06 TSX I used to drive. The engine is quieter and seems to rev so much easier then the 06, NVH is way down in the 09. The transmission seems to always be in the correct gear, with the 06 I used the sport shift a lot because it took so damm long for the ATX to realize I needed to car to move and downshift. With the 09 I haven’t needed to do this (although I haven’t really pushed it yet) the paddle shifters seem to work well and there is less hesitation when you up shift with them.

When I test drove it last summer I thought it was too much like a Buick compared to the 06 and took it off my consideration list. I’m glad I took a second drive.

Jeff
So the NVH is down in the 2G? That is one thing that gets on my nerves once in a while in my 04. Earlier this week, the poor car was vibrating like crazy at idle, I thought something was wrong, but it went away in a minute or so.

My 04 is going for an oil change on the 18th. Maybe I'll take a test drive of the 09 while I wait.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mercman
Jeff
I've read the 09 is about the same or slightly faster than the 06 model, even thought it weighs more.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Vancouver B.C.

wow mucter! nice photoshops. If the real thing will look anything close to those, I would do the black grille. The white grille looks super clean and you will get loads of compliments too, but that black grille is just sexxx. What if you did that outer portion white and the chrome power plenum black? Just curious
Old 05-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Racer

Yeah, I showed my wife the PS of the black grill, and she was all about it, which kinda surprised me

Here's another one per your request. Looks pretty good too.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:00 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition! I really like mine as well, the light throttle midrange torque is so broad it feels like a larger engine to me.

I understand the less powerful car = less temptation thing. It's like...my TSX isn't fast, I've got nothing to prove, people don't mess with me & I enjoy just cruising & getting 29 MPG.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Racer

accidentally posted more mockups on this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0#post10873990
Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Robbie D.

Mucter,

would it be too much to ask if you would do a mock-up of a black grille shield and maybe a white one too on this photo? I wanna see how those shields would look at a bunch of angles before making my final decision.. if you can ya know, help a fellow TSX out with a crucial decision? I also dig the red calipers on your avatar, did you photoshop those too or are they real? either way I'm diggin it, you know whats up.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Racer

No problem man. Yeah the calipers are real. In the Photograph Gallery I have a thread with all my pix and I wrote up a little post about what I used to paint them w/some tips.

After doing all these mockups, I think I'm personally leaning towards to 2-tone option, black for the top grill, white for the bottom edge.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Vancouver B.C.

wow those photoshops look great! nice rolling shot picture to start off with too though
Old 05-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Robbie D.

Mucter,

thanks a bunch man. I think i might be going with the black top and white edges too.

did the sport bumper you have come with those very ugly two holes for the front plate screws? i was trying to take my front plate off last night but decided to keep it so those holes wont show. i need to figure out a way to fill em in or something. i was guessing just take out the plate, put the screws in and use touch up paint on the screws to match the bumper.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Racer

I have screw holes in the grill, but nothing in the painted area, it looks good. I never notice the grill holes. Did someone actually put screws into your paint ?!?!? Acura doesn't do that, my stock bumper that I still have sitting in my garage has ZERO holes in the paint. If your dealer did that, I'd get up in their shit.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Robbie D.

yeah my dealers gonna have hell to pay. i thought those were just holes put into the bumper at the factory.

theyre right through the paint and bumper and it looks really nasty.

im gonna stop by the dealer on saturday and have them do something about it.

ridiculous.

thanks for letting me know about that
Old 05-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Racer

Yeah some dealers would do that because the 2 holes in the grill weren't sufficient to hold the plate steady. But Acura addressed that on this car and there's a third hole on the bottom of the bracket that goes up into the bottom of the bumper opening, so there's absolutely NO reason to put screws into the bumper. It should be a crime to screw shit into the paint. EPIC FAIL
Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Banned

The black grill on white make the car look polar bear themed.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Low is a Lifestyle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... isnt the v6 coming out in the summer? or did you get the v6?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

V6 is coming this summer.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Robbie D.

The v6 should've just been a Type S... but I won't get into that much I know that's been said god knows how many times.

Anyway here's some pictures of my TSX, it's still all stock..for now.. My wallet is still recovering, but hopefully within the next couple of months she'll be just the way I want it.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Cruisin'

sooo prettyy

Quick Reply: Just got a new 09' TSX, and I'm impressed!