I just got bumper tapped =( (Chipped paint, but no dent)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Je t'aime...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got bumper tapped =( (Chipped paint, but no dent)

So recently my TSX got bumper tapped at my schools parking lot. I left at least 4 feet of room behind me and someone still crosses the line and hits my car. Grr... I didn't catch the guy or girl either to make things worst.

So I was wondering. How do I fix a bumper tap? Its like a small chipped paint I would say about 1/2 inch long? And less than a quarter of inch in width.

I'm not actually sure how to fix it. I know I would need to get touch up paint, but I heard I need to sand it down or something? Does anyone know the order of the process to do? Or has anyone done this before? Thanks for your help!
Old 09-04-2010, 02:07 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaOnWORKS
So recently my TSX got bumper tapped at my schools parking lot. I left at least 4 feet of room behind me and someone still crosses the line and hits my car. Grr... I didn't catch the guy or girl either to make things worst.

So I was wondering. How do I fix a bumper tap? Its like a small chipped paint I would say about 1/2 inch long? And less than a quarter of inch in width.

I'm not actually sure how to fix it. I know I would need to get touch up paint, but I heard I need to sand it down or something? Does anyone know the order of the process to do? Or has anyone done this before? Thanks for your help!
This is a common procedure to cover up chips. Try to purchase the oem touch up paint. Apply at least 3 layers of touch up paint. Let the paint cure, then sand out the raised paint spots with a 1500 grit sandpaper followed by a 2000 grit sandpaper til the surface blends in.Then apply a rubbing compound followed by a wax to bring back the shine.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Cruisin'

for small scrathes I use quixx 2 part scratch remover, for a larger chip on my bumper I just got while parked in NYC garage, I am going to try DrColorChip- I'll let you know how it works. OEM touch up paint is another great way, as mentioned by xts
Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
It might be easier to help if you posted pics.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just park in BFE. All problems solved.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Je t'aime...

Originally Posted by Aruca Xst
This is a common procedure to cover up chips. Try to purchase the oem touch up paint. Apply at least 3 layers of touch up paint. Let the paint cure, then sand out the raised paint spots with a 1500 grit sandpaper followed by a 2000 grit sandpaper til the surface blends in.Then apply a rubbing compound followed by a wax to bring back the shine.
I heard I had to sand before applying the touch up paint? Is that true?

Why do I have to sand it with 1500 grit then 200 grit?

Also where can I get sandpaper? =)

Thanks.

Last edited by HondaOnWORKS; 09-05-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Je t'aime...

Originally Posted by klassic1
for small scrathes I use quixx 2 part scratch remover, for a larger chip on my bumper I just got while parked in NYC garage, I am going to try DrColorChip- I'll let you know how it works. OEM touch up paint is another great way, as mentioned by xts
Its not small scratches. Its more of a small chipped paint. The color of my paint on that area that's chipped its fully off. I think its down to the primer. I think...
Old 09-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Je t'aime...

Originally Posted by princelybug
It might be easier to help if you posted pics.
Don't have a camera =(, but I can try to post some images up with my iPhone camera.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Je t'aime...

Originally Posted by TSteezyX
Just park in BFE. All problems solved.
I wish I can. Everywhere around my school is full of cars. Parking lot always full. A lot of weak new drivers too, lame.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts
I heard I had to sand before applying the touch up paint? Is that true?

Why do I have to sand it with 1500 grit then 200 grit?

Also where can I get sandpaper? =)

Thanks.
Its not a mandatory step although he paint will stick better to the area if you do give it a quick sanding. You want to sand 1500 first to take out the raised paint edges quicker, then smooth out the area and the surrounding area with a higher grit sandpaper. The higher the grit on the sandpaper, the smoother the outcome of the sanding will be. I forgot to include the fact you need to wet sand. Soak your sandpaper in water for a few minutes. Then during the process, dip your sandpaper back in the water regularly to unclog the sandpaper and keeping it lubricated.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:18 PM
3rd Gear

These guys say you can get an exact match on the paint
http://automotivetouchup.com/choosec...cura&model=Tsx

If you've never done touchup before just follow these instructions right on the same site
http://automotivetouchup.com/directions.htm

From what I hear they are pretty good.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Feeds pigs bacon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't have a camera =(, but I can try to post some images up with my iPhone camera.
Where are these photos? Take some of your M3 while you are at it