How to Maintain my Car After a Detail?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to Maintain my Car After a Detail?

Currently my car is being repainted (thanks to the previous owner) due to sun damage (clear coat failure) and some rust spots. My question is, how do I maintain my car AFTER it being detailed/repainted? What should I expect when I get the car back and what should I look for or what kind of questions should I ask aftwerwards? TIA

PS I do like that wet look, will my car ever look like that?

Last edited by grey goose; 11-22-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
Repainted under warranty or out of pocket?

And just make sure you wash it properly (2 buckets with grit guard) and keep the paint protected with wax or sealant as needed.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,774 Likes on 13,968 Posts
You will want to apply the 3M clear bra on the hood and bumper at a minimum.

From there, I would suggest waxing the car regularly to keep the shine. There is also sealant and more recently, ceramic polish. If you do the latter, it apparently lasts longer but you will want to ensure the car washes -- which should be regular -- be touchless to ensure the layer of protection does not get eventually stripped off by brushes and etc.

The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rawger
Out of pocket .... My car is 9 years old going on 10! YIKES! It's the oldest car I have ever owned
Old 11-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts

And just make sure you wash it properly (2 buckets with grit guard) and keep the paint protected with wax or sealant as needed.
Originally Posted by Yumcha

From there, I would suggest waxing the car regularly to keep the shine. There is also sealant and more recently, ceramic polish. If you do the latter, it apparently lasts longer but you will want to ensure the car washes -- which should be regular -- be touchless to ensure the layer of protection does not get eventually stripped off by brushes and etc.

Wrong!

No paint sealant, clear bra or wax should be applied on a freshly painted car due to outgassing. Some paint jobs need 90 days to cure before application of graphics, sealant or wax applied. The car sold only be washed and polish within the curing period. Ask the paint shop their specific guide on this topic.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:07 AM
Racer

Read this
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...eds-to-Breathe

Old 11-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

I do not know anything about clear bras, can you tell me more?
Do you have any recommendations on the sealants/ceramic polish?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Question Outgassing

Originally Posted by evo9
Wrong!

No paint sealant, clear bra or wax should be applied on a freshly painted car due to outgassing. Some paint jobs need 90 days to cure before application of graphics, sealant or wax applied. The car sold only be washed and polish within the curing period. Ask the paint shop their specific guide on this topic.
Outgassing? What is it?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grey goose
Outgassing? What is it?
Nevermind, interesting evo. You learn something every day.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Wrong!

K, I wasn't saying IMMEDIATELY.

But, I had known that 3M does not go onto a painted surface until at least 1 week (been in past fender benders). I have not heard about the 90-day rule for wax.
Midnight Mystery (11-24-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 03:42 PM
Racer

I do not know anything about clear bras, can you tell me more?
Do you have any recommendations on the sealants/ceramic polish?

there are two choices available.

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012...otection-film/

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/31sAA...dd/s-l1600.jpg
Old 11-25-2019, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Out of pocket .... My car is 9 years old going on 10! YIKES! It's the oldest car I have ever owned
Yeah I was assumed it was out of pocket, but you mentioned clear coat failure and was wondering if it was from defect or neglect, since Honda/Acura have their fair share of paint issues.

Wrong!

I just meant in general since he was asking how to maintain it. That's a good point to note however. Whoever is painting his car should be providing him that information as well.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:53 PM
Intermediate

Yeah I was assumed it was out of pocket, but you mentioned clear coat failure and was wondering if it was from defect or neglect, since Honda/Acura have their fair share of paint issues.

I just meant in general since he was asking how to maintain it. That's a good point to note however. Whoever is painting his car should be providing him that information as well.
Since I bought this TSX used, I can't say for certain if the clear coat failure is due to a defect or neglect. All I know is I don't like the looks of it and I am trying to remedy the look as much as I can. Also just a FYI, I am NOT a HE!

Last edited by grey goose; 11-25-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Hmm I think for my car I'll decide behind door #1, thanks Monty (Hall - on the Monty Hall show)
Old 11-25-2019, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Question

What kind of wax and ceramic polish would you recommend and how often?
Old 11-25-2019, 11:33 PM
Senior Moderator

What kind of wax and ceramic polish would you recommend and how often?
I have not used ceramic coating before. But, I know it's sort of the trend now and apparently, sworn by many. I am going to have it applied to my sedan this spring/summer via a detailing shop. Reputable brands I know are Meguiar's, Mothers, and 3M.

Hope that helps.
Midnight Mystery (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Since I bought this TSX used, I can't say for certain if the clear coat failure is due to a defect or neglect. All I know is I don't like the looks of it and I am trying to remedy the look as much as I can. Also just a FYI, I am NOT a HE!
Apologies, bad habit of assuming everyone is a guy, especially on a car forum.

Also, Klasse is a highly reviewed sealant. Here's an article that will help on how to apply. https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...de-and-review/