How long should I wait to wax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long should I wait to wax?

Just got home with my new 2013 TSX tech. I passed on the dealer paint scheme and know I will need to keep the paint clean and waxed. Since the car just came out of the wrapper today, how long should I wait for the first waxing?

I did see the other thread on the best waxes.....Will review in detail and decide what to use. Any thoughts on application and removal materials?

Appreciate the feedback and am stoked to be part of this community!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Congrats!!! Idk about the dealership you went too but when I went to my only dealer on the island, I seen alot of dust collecting on cars under wraps and I was wondering if they just run the pressure washer and do a basic wash. I think I would do a complete detail inside and out to protect the new condition. Btw, congrats!!! Any plans for your TSX?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by NoCalDawg
Just got home with my new 2013 TSX tech. I passed on the dealer paint scheme and know I will need to keep the paint clean and waxed. Since the car just came out of the wrapper today, how long should I wait for the first waxing?

I did see the other thread on the best waxes.....Will review in detail and decide what to use. Any thoughts on application and removal materials?

Appreciate the feedback and am stoked to be part of this community!
No need to wait. You can wax your new car now.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
justnspace (03-01-2013), TLtrigirl (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
as said CEB mentioned; you can wax/seal your car as soon as you get it.
hell, you can even do it in the dealers lot.
not to sure if they would like that tho.

the paint has been cured a long while ago.

also, i would look into Sealants more than a wax.

a sealant is man made
and a carnauba wax is natural.

the sealant will last A LOT longer than the wax.
I use 4starUPP
and before that I used Blackfire Wet Diamond
Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 AM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
I use 4starUPP
https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/review-cg-glossworkz-glaze-4star-upp-859172/
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
as said CEB mentioned; you can wax/seal your car as soon as you get it.
hell, you can even do it in the dealers lot.
not to sure if they would like that tho

the paint has been cured a long while ago.

also, i would look into Sealants more than a wax.

a sealant is man made
and a carnauba wax is natural.

the sealant will last A LOT longer than the wax.
I use 4starUPP
i always walk around my car after service from the dealer with a bottle of detail spray and wipe the car down before i leave. this way i can see if there any dealer inflicted options on my car. the day shift guys are used to me doing this...the afternoon/PM shift guys...are like this girl is nuts.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:58 AM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
i always walk around my car after service from the dealer with a bottle of detail spray and wipe the car down before i leave. this way i can see if there any dealer inflicted options on my car. the day shift guys are used to me doing this...the afternoon/PM shift guys...are like this girl is nuts.
my kinda girl !!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would detail your car again.... I got my wagon home and washed it. Also went over the whole car to make sure all that wrap stuff was off. If you look closely, you'll find bits of it on your hood or roof.... I then went over it with some P21s wax.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 444 Likes on 303 Posts
The factory paint is NOT fully cured when you buy the car. It's OK to wax it when you get it...or use a sealant.....but, the paint is not fully cured when it leaves the factory. That is a fact. Normally 6 mos. for a "fully cured" paint job. Again, that doesn't mean you can't use "products" to protect the clear coat/paint.

My new RDX had a sealant applied before it was put on the lot to sell. I noticed in the sunlight that it just didn't have that "special shine" that I normally would expect to see.
I talked to my detailer....who has been detailing cars professionally for approx. 30 yrs, about what I was seeing...or not.....and he said let's wax it with the ONLY wax he now uses....after many years of trying them all....Nano wax. Actually I suggested it and asked about doing it...and he said "yes, why not?" He did his normal application and buffing with Nano wax on top of the sealer the dealer applied and "presto changeo"......the paint came alive with the shine I was wanting....and the surface was as slick as can be...compared to just before when you ran your fingers over the surface it dragged.

Now when I wash it....the dirt comes off much easier....and that paint is really protected. Has a great shine. So, I learned something from this. We are always learning. I knew that the sealant was really protecting the paint, but, it didn't have the shine and it had a surface that tended to hold dirt.

I buff wax twice a year. That has always worked and I have owned 7 cars in 7 years, and 60 since I was 16. That includes my vehicles going through some rough winters.....or in some cases very sunny hot climates. Using quality wax applied twice a year works. Now...a touch up here and there never hurts....like I might do just the front end, hood, mirrors. Although lately my cars have 3M clear bra applied, but, you can wax over that material to make it easier to clean.

Then you have some people that will wax their "toys" twice a month. That can lead to early clear coat/paint damage if not careful. And, it's truly over doing it.

I'm very picky on how I take care of my vehicles and how they look. But, I do it smartly from years of learning from the experts. Now my cars are garaged and that does make some difference. If I had to leave one or both out....OUCH!!!......I would have to wax, detail more often.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 AM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by bagwell
my kinda girl !!!!!!!
She really is something special!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by bagwell
my kinda girl !!!!!!!
just did this at my dealer yesterday. he he!

Originally Posted by Mercedes>BMW
She really is something special!
yeah...i can be a bit of a dorkie nerd sometimes....beats being normal you earn a few respect points from the dealer guys if they know you meticulously take care of your car and you're a girl.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by NoCalDawg
Since the car just came out of the wrapper today, how long should I wait for the first waxing?
Around here (Northeast)? When the effen winter is over and it warms up!