down to 2 choices...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by super4
im gonna go test drive the new tsx and see just how bad it is. all i keep hearing is the new modles are far worse of a drive compared to the 1st gen. i think the new interior really sucks compared to the 1st gen, especially design and layout. the materials are ok, but truly uncomparable to the new e90s, which are far superior to prior bmws including the e46s.
it seems like your mind is already set for a BMW. why waste your time test driving a TSX
Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
im gonna go test drive the new tsx and see just how bad it is. all i keep hearing is the new modles are far worse of a drive compared to the 1st gen. i think the new interior really sucks compared to the 1st gen, especially design and layout. the materials are ok, but truly uncomparable to the new e90s, which are far superior to prior bmws including the e46s.
Then go buy your Bimmer and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Just hope it doesn't put you in the poor house...
Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I still have my 1G and have had a 2G loaner a couple times. The drive is different, but not bad per se, at least IMO. I also like the interior. Again, it's different, but I wouldn't say it's better or worse.

BMW interiors are no work of art. I can't give an opinion on material quality as I haven't been in one, but from the pictures I've seen, they look extremely dated compared to most cars these days. To each his own, I suppose. Get what you like.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu
Then go buy your Bimmer and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Just hope it doesn't put you in the poor house...

Why do people take it so personal when someone's opinion of the TSX isn't all sex and roses? Everyone has different tastes...just saying.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by GrigioX
Why do people take it so personal when someone's opinion of the TSX isn't all sex and roses? Everyone has different tastes...just saying.

I have no problems with someone who doesn't like the TSX and prefers a BMW. I don't take it personal at all. But why come to a TSX forum asking for opinions and then start dissing the TSX and yucking up the Bimmer? I would think most people here would be partial to the TSX, since we own one.

I myself looked at buying a BMW, but ended up with the TSX. If he wants the Bimmer, he should go buy it and start hanging out in a BMW forum. Sounds like he has his mind made up already, so why ask us to change it and then dismiss our responses?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Instructor

just test drove the 4 and the 6, the 6 is pretty quick, but i was surprised to see that the 4 cyl wasnt bad at all. i was most surprised by the interior its way nicer than i thought, the car drives great, defenatly hard to justify an extra 7k for a bmw. only problem is that those tsx seats are wierd, those side boldsters on the back are nice but whose retarted idea was it to put them so high on the shoulders, they suck, i felt my shoulders being squeezed together, horrible!!! i loved the car and the drive otherwise, such a shame that the seats have those high bolsters.

and by the way that nav screen??? was that made with an etch a sketch?? now i know what people are complaining about, big flop on acuras part.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Drifting

how tall are you? im 5'7 and seats are comfortable.

also did you drive the 09' or the 10' model?

how was the steering response on the highway between the 4 and 6?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by defconskylude
how tall are you? im 5'7 and seats are comfortable.

also did you drive the 09' or the 10' model?

how was the steering response on the highway between the 4 and 6?
im about 5 11 or so, i dont know, to me my first gen seats are perfect, dont get why they made those new seats like that, the tl's are wayyy better.

the one i drove was a 2010, the steering seemed same on both, i didnt push it much but again the first gen steering is better. what i loved was the new steering wheel, feels perfect!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
im about 5 11 or so, i dont know, to me my first gen seats are perfect, dont get why they made those new seats like that, the tl's are wayyy better.

the one i drove was a 2010, the steering seemed same on both, i didnt push it much but again the first gen steering is better. what i loved was the new steering wheel, feels perfect!!!
We are the same height, I have no problem with the seat. TL seats are wider though.

The 2G steering is Electric Power Steering (EPS) not hydraulic as in 1G but they have recalibrated it in 2010 for a better feel than 09 model. It takes a bit to get used to and does improve over time. EPS was first introduced in the NSX back in 1990, then S2K and then to most other Honda/Acura vehicle.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Drifting

yea the steering was weird at first coming from a 01 prelude. i had to lower my 09 to get a better steering response.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Another advantage of EPS is that they consume less power. A traditional HPS system uses as much power as an a/c system in a vehicle.

Interesting enough, you find EPS in Acura RL, TL, TSX but Honda has it on the S2K and Fit but not the Accord.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
Another advantage of EPS is that they consume less power. A traditional HPS system uses as much power as an a/c system in a vehicle.

Interesting enough, you find EPS in Acura RL, TL, TSX but Honda has it on the S2K and Fit but not the Accord.
I'm guessing it will be in the next gen Accord, especially with the new mileage laws coming in the next few years.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Instructor

The seats in this model are bigger than the last version but you're right, those wings on the side are intrusive to begin with. I don't know if they soften with age or if you just get used to them, but after a few days with the car they were no longer a problem for me, and I'm 6' tall.

I owned a 1st gen. TSX (Accord) prior to this version and the steering on the old car is definitely better in as much as it offers more meaningful feedback. Unfortunately, the more responsive steering on the old car made it much less relaxing in a straight line.

I feel that, ultimately, the chassis on this version is more grown-up than the old car. The 1st gen. was raw and 'sporty' whereas the new car feels a lot more refined.

Unfortunately, the build quality seems to have suffered during the transition and the feeling of solidity present in the 1st gen. seems somewhat diluted in the 2nd. gen.

You owe it to yourself to at least try a BMW before buying anything.

Last edited by SilverCU3; 05-21-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
just test drove the 4 and the 6, the 6 is pretty quick, but i was surprised to see that the 4 cyl wasnt bad at all. i was most surprised by the interior its way nicer than i thought, the car drives great, defenatly hard to justify an extra 7k for a bmw. only problem is that those tsx seats are wierd, those side boldsters on the back are nice but whose retarted idea was it to put them so high on the shoulders, they suck, i felt my shoulders being squeezed together, horrible!!! i loved the car and the drive otherwise, such a shame that the seats have those high bolsters.

and by the way that nav screen??? was that made with an etch a sketch?? now i know what people are complaining about, big flop on acuras part.
I had a V6 loaner once and the power was definitely very nice. I don't remember having a problem with the seats, though. I actually thought they were more comfortable than my 04's seats.

I can't compare the nav since I've never had one, and haven't been in a car with one other than the TSX loaners I've had. One good thing I hear though is that you can still use it while the car is in motion, as opposed to Lexus and I believe Infiniti. Not sure about other makes.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
thought id post this question, down to a desision between these two cars

2010 bmw 328i (base model, no optional at all ) aprox 31K
or a 2010 tsx, aprox 27k

thats pretty much as much as i can spend, i love the bimmer, and would perfer the awd xi but the extra 2 grand is seriously streaching the budget. or the tsx and save like 5k after the financed total.
I agree with much that's been written here, but I do think that there's a little apples and oranges going on. I've never quite understood why people cross shop the 3 series bimmer and the TSX. They really represent two different price points in my opinion. The driving experience is indeed different, and I guess most would say the BMW is better, but more on point is that comparably equipped, the BMW will easily run at least $10K more. And past 50K miles, I have to think that the Acura would really start to shine. If you've actually been driving an 07 TSX for any length of time, I'm surprised you'd be willing to so easily give up the so called "bells and whistles" that are included with every TSX. Some of the stuff I agree I could live without, but... the headlights, the XM, the CD changer (no longer in the base TSX I hear), the memory seats, the leather (of which the quality is a separate issue I agree), the sunroof.... the list goes on (I can remember when not too long ago, cruise control was an option on a 3 series). All that said.... I've always bought new cars (and paid cash), but.... when I replace my 05 (I'm having trouble letting go), it will be with a low mileage 07 or 08 TSX. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the 2nd gen, but I also think that this is the way go financially. I would recommend it to anyone considering one of these cars.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I agree with much that's been written here, but I do think that there's a little apples and oranges going on. I've never quite understood why people cross shop the 3 series bimmer and the TSX. They really represent two different price points in my opinion. The driving experience is indeed different, and I guess most would say the BMW is better, but more on point is that comparably equipped, the BMW will easily run at least $10K more. And past 50K miles, I have to think that the Acura would really start to shine. If you've actually been driving an 07 TSX for any length of time, I'm surprised you'd be willing to so easily give up the so called "bells and whistles" that are included with every TSX. Some of the stuff I agree I could live without, but... the headlights, the XM, the CD changer (no longer in the base TSX I hear), the memory seats, the leather (of which the quality is a separate issue I agree), the sunroof.... the list goes on (I can remember when not too long ago, cruise control was an option on a 3 series). All that said.... I've always bought new cars (and paid cash), but.... when I replace my 05 (I'm having trouble letting go), it will be with a low mileage 07 or 08 TSX. I'll admit that I'm not a fan of the 2nd gen, but I also think that this is the way go financially. I would recommend it to anyone considering one of these cars.
well said!